224 replies to this topic

#1 S3dition

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 1,633 posts
  • LocationWashington, USA

Posted 23 November 2012 - 10:00 PM

The beta version has just been submitted to the Play Store!

This app is currently no longer in development. It will remain on the play store for those who are interested, but it will not be updated for the foreseeable future.

Download

Update: The latest update will allow you to move the app onto your SD Card. It should be live within 24 hours, though may be ready in less than 1.

Please let me know if you run into any problems, including the phone model/carrier. Google provides basic debugging (it lets us know when the app crashes) but it helps to know if it's localized to a specific brand.

Currently Included (patch 1.2.257)
All Mechs
All Weapons

Currently under way:
Equipment/Upgrades
Pilot Skills

Working on:
  • Highlighting mech locations when you select them.
  • Cleaning up the component list.
On the Drawing Board:

Mech Lab
Everything Else

==================================================================================
KNOWN ISSUES:
  • The navigation bar on some phones defaults to white instead of black.
  • The component list is backwards.
  • Some hard points aren't displaying.
==================================================================================

Planned content:

Stats - lots and lots of stats. Hard point location, damage, etc etc. Basically everything you would want to see before purchasing a mech.

Mech Lab - A fully functional mech lab so you can play with builds before committing to a purchase in the game.

ISN News: Potentially pushed down with Google Cloud Messaging. Can also do a twitter feed similar to the MWO front page.

Wishlist (dependent on an API):

Community Warfare map/updates - realtime and live info, including anything we are able to include Posted Image.

Lobby - A way to chat with your friends when you can't log into the game.

More - Anything that we haven't thought of yet.

Why Android:

We're Android developers and we don't have any mac equipment for creating an IOS development environment. Basically, Android can be developed in Mac, Windows, and Linux. IOS is exclusively Mac. Though Wingtip did recommend using a converter. If someone is interested in helping with the IOS portion of it, shoot me a PM.

Edited by S3dition, 01 May 2014 - 06:31 AM.

#2 Cloudstryfe

• Pip
  • 18 posts

Posted 23 November 2012 - 10:06 PM

Cool. Good luck with this!

#3 S3dition

• Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 1,633 posts

Posted 23 November 2012 - 10:33 PM

View PostCloudstryfe, on 23 November 2012 - 10:06 PM, said:

Cool. Good luck with this!

Thanks!

#4 MoonUnitBeta

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Philanthropist
  • Philanthropist
  • 4,560 posts
  • LocationCanada ᕙ(⇀‸↼‶)ᕗ

Posted 23 November 2012 - 10:53 PM

Sweet! Great to see these kinds of things and what an awesome idea! Hope it goes smoothly for you guys and can't wait to see the first look of it. I don't have anything that's android, but I'd like to see screenies if possible. ;)

For the future: Keep your chins up - forums aren't always that positive. I recommend that you don't look towards the forums for motivation, but come here mostly if you want to hear bad things and people whine about how everything's not perfect and about lint balls that form inside their pockets and bellybuttons etc. :lol:

Edited by MoonUnitBeta, 23 November 2012 - 10:53 PM.

#5 Slaughterama

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 231 posts
  • LocationAustin, TX

Posted 23 November 2012 - 10:54 PM

Awesome thanks NGNG!

#6 Card

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 515 posts
  • Facebook: Link
  • LocationLenoir, NC

Posted 23 November 2012 - 10:55 PM

YOUR APP SUCKS AND YOU SUCK BECAUSE... REASONS.

Oh, it's not out yet?

Well... WHY IS IT NOT OUT YET? WHAT'S TAKING YOU SO LONG?!

#7 Wildcat

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 1,265 posts
  • LocationAustralia

Posted 23 November 2012 - 11:06 PM

View PostS3dition, on 23 November 2012 - 10:00 PM, said:

So, work on the Android app is under way. I'm still waiting to hear back from the devs on what is okay/not okay, so I decided to just go ahead and make my own UI components. It will still mesh with the MWO "feel" but it's not using any of their art assets.

Planned content:

Stats - lots and lots of stats. Hard point location, damage, etc etc. Basically everything you would want to see before purchasing a mech.

Mech Lab - A fully functional mech lab so you can play with builds before committing to a purchase in the game.

Hyperpulse Radio - Listen on the go!

Content we would like to add (dependent on an API):

Community Warfare map/updates - realtime and live info, including anything we are able to include :lol:.

Lobby - A way to chat with your friends when you can't log into the game.

More - Anything that we haven't thought of yet.

Why Android:

We're Android developers and we don't have any mac equipment for creating an IOS development environment. Basically, Android can be developed in Mac, Windows, and Linux. IOS is exclusively Mac. Though Wingtip did recommend using a converter. If someone is interested in helping with the IOS portion of it, shoot me a PM.

When Will it be Done:

When it's done ;)

We have a good start on it already, so it shouldn't be too long before the first version is complete.

Great to hear !

Stay with Android.... i-phones sucks and their apps tend to be bugged/not compatible on Android Phones......... dam i-phone Corporate Psychopaths...

#8 Kdogg788

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 2,314 posts

Posted 23 November 2012 - 11:09 PM

Man, it sounds like a phenomenal project but I run an iPhone 4. Any hopes of someone working the iOS version would be awesome.

-k

#9 S3dition

• Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 1,633 posts

Posted 23 November 2012 - 11:46 PM

View PostWildcat, on 23 November 2012 - 11:06 PM, said:

Great to hear !

Stay with Android.... i-phones sucks and their apps tend to be bugged/not compatible on Android Phones......... dam i-phone Corporate Psychopaths...

Android and IOS use completely different languages (java vs objective-c) so it's not a matter of compatibility. If you're seeing cross-platform problems, it's because the code wasn't done well. Probably because the developer wasn't experienced in Android. Though many people are simply making a glorified browser and writing HTML5 web apps and just pushing it out on all the devices. This usually has the effect you described - it's a lazy effort and isn't capable of actually making full use of the phone or following development guidelines.

#10 Zanathan

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 661 posts

Posted 23 November 2012 - 11:48 PM

Funny I was playing with the Java app located on the pinned thread from Ohm yesterday and said to myself I need to build a more mobile one that I can use on the tablet (Android as I don't have an iPad and I develop Android apps myself). You're more ambitious though as I was only going to concentrate on the mechlab so I'm going to wait for yours :mellow:. Can't wait to see the product.

#11 Barfing Gopher

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • The Undertaker
  • The Undertaker
  • 176 posts

Posted 23 November 2012 - 11:50 PM

I, like most ppl, have a couple old android phones laying around, this would give them a reason to exist again, thanks for your hard work, look forward to seeing the app!

#12 Wizard Steve

• 1,053 posts

Posted 23 November 2012 - 11:57 PM

View PostCard, on 23 November 2012 - 10:55 PM, said:

YOUR APP SUCKS AND YOU SUCK BECAUSE... REASONS.

Oh, it's not out yet?

Well... WHY IS IT NOT OUT YET? WHAT'S TAKING YOU SO LONG?!

Dude! It's BETA!

#13 S3dition

• Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 1,633 posts

Posted 24 November 2012 - 12:02 AM

Thanks guys! It's always good to bring out the positive side of the community :mellow:. It's a part-time project, but we're currently displaying data. Here is a little teaser:

Posted Image

#14 Quicksilver Aberration

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Nightmare
  • The Nightmare
  • 11,530 posts
  • LocationKansas City, MO

Posted 24 November 2012 - 12:08 AM

Good luck, I was going to do an Android version of my mechlab since it is written in Java, but decided against it because the way Android SDK worked was a little irritating......and now I don't have to do it!!!!!

#15 S3dition

• Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 1,633 posts

Posted 24 November 2012 - 12:11 AM

View Postmajora incarnate, on 24 November 2012 - 12:08 AM, said:

Good luck, I was going to do an Android version of my mechlab since it is written in Java, but decided against it because the way Android SDK worked was a little irritating......and now I don't have to do it!!!!!

Lol. Yeah, ask my friend about the "feature" that makes a null copy of an xml file and prevents compilation if you have an xml tab open when you hit the run button. You have to manually delete the null copy and switch to a class tab. Though that's more an issue with Eclipse than the Android SDK.

#16 197mmCannon

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Go-cho
  • Go-cho
  • 265 posts
  • LocationCincinnati, OH

Posted 24 November 2012 - 12:20 AM

Do it.

Make a donate version and I will buy it.

#17 DrBunji

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 205 posts
  • LocationNorthwind

Posted 24 November 2012 - 12:52 AM

Do you plan to monetize it? I mean if you make it look and feel as a professional app, like that minecraft guide someone made for the iOS id pork a dollar or two for it.

Also, do you intend to keep it up to date? Since this is beta and all afterall~~

#18 Diablobo

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 1,014 posts
  • LocationOn your six

Posted 24 November 2012 - 02:06 AM

Heh...

It didn't even take ten posts for someone to start bashing the other guy's phone.
Any thread that has so much as a slight reference to iOS or Android is bound to set off a fanboi war.

#19 S3dition

• Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 1,633 posts

Posted 24 November 2012 - 02:11 AM

View PostDrBunji, on 24 November 2012 - 12:52 AM, said:

Do you plan to monetize it? I mean if you make it look and feel as a professional app, like that minecraft guide someone made for the iOS id pork a dollar or two for it.

Also, do you intend to keep it up to date? Since this is beta and all afterall~~

Yes. Currently the devs are making it super easy to keep this updated, and we want to make certain to keep the original versioning in (so you can go back and mess around or view info on previous versions of the game).

As for monetizing, we haven't really decided yet. Much of it comes down to PGI and what they will or won't approve, as that will obviously effect the content of the app. We also don't mind partnering with them on this, but they have a lot of stuff on their plate right now, so anything that requires a lot of input from PGI will take a bit longer.

#20 DeeSaster

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 284 posts
  • LocationBerlin, Germany

Posted 24 November 2012 - 02:59 AM

Great news. Thanks for your work. I am hoping you can get the converter going to port your app to ios. Anyway, keep up the good work guys!

//edit: bad syntax gone now...

Edited by DeeSaster, 24 November 2012 - 02:59 AM.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users