#241 Paul Inouye

Lead Designer

• Developer
  • Developer
  • 2,815 posts
  • LocationVancouver, BC

Posted 07 May 2012 - 04:53 PM

* grabs a mop *

1) The bar functionality on the left side of MechLab is currently not working correctly but there are a lot of fixes and new gizmos going into it and much has been fixed even in the time between the recording of this video and now thanks to our wicked engineers.
2) LRM range IS 630m... Russ had a long day and accidentally stated 640m.
3) We said it before.. and will say it again... BT TT rules are a reference, not a bible. ;)
4) (Personal one here)... why would I waste my opportunity to troll you three clowns when I can hit the entire MWO forum user base? :wub:

#242 Orzorn

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,327 posts
  • LocationComanche, Texas

Posted 07 May 2012 - 04:58 PM

View PostPaul Inouye, on 07 May 2012 - 04:53 PM, said:

4) (Personal one here)... why would I waste my opportunity to troll you three clowns when I can hit the entire MWO forum user base? ;)

Its okay Paul, all that ammunition is just asking to explode.

Or maybe that WAS the troll! You made an intentionally weak design just to make the forum goers get riled up at "how bad that design is god Paul is so dumb"! It was the perfect troll!

Posted Image

#243 Oswin Aurelius

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Hawk
  • The Hawk
  • 808 posts
  • Facebook: Link
  • LocationWhitmore Lake, MI

Posted 07 May 2012 - 05:02 PM

I'm upset that I can know longer see the split-performing Hunchback or hear Russ swearing about all the Hunchbacks. XD

#244 Orzorn

• 3,327 posts

Posted 07 May 2012 - 05:12 PM

View PostOswin Aurelius, on 07 May 2012 - 05:02 PM, said:

I'm upset that I can know longer see the split-performing Hunchback or hear Russ swearing about all the Hunchbacks. XD

You can still see it here. The Hunchback on the very right does it.

Something I noticed:
They spawn at the far side of the map on J. That means that the map is 10 sectors wide, and probably as many tall. Each sector appears to be about 500 meters across judging from targeting data. 5km x 5km = 25 square kilometers.

That's a big map!

#245 Paul Inouye

Lead Designer

• Developer
  • Developer
  • 2,815 posts
  • LocationVancouver, BC

Posted 07 May 2012 - 05:13 PM

View PostOrzorn, on 07 May 2012 - 04:58 PM, said:

Its okay Paul, all that ammunition is just asking to explode.

Or maybe that WAS the troll! You made an intentionally weak design just to make the forum goers get riled up at "how bad that design is god Paul is so dumb"! It was the perfect troll!

I'm sorry.. what was that?

Posted Image

#246 Orzorn

• 3,327 posts

Posted 07 May 2012 - 05:16 PM

View PostPaul Inouye, on 07 May 2012 - 05:13 PM, said:

I'm sorry.. what was that?

Posted Image

Oh, a package for little old me?

I'll bet you put sent is as Cash on Delivery. ;)

By the way, how many Mechwarrior Credits do I need to purchase that smoke spelling module? :wub:

#247 Leetskeet

• Bad Company
  • 2,101 posts

Posted 07 May 2012 - 05:20 PM

Why would the Catapult at 1:20 have medium lasers in the arms? That's like absolutely no firepower.

UGH WHY WOULD YOU DO THAT TO ME MAN?!

Edited by Leetskeet, 07 May 2012 - 05:21 PM.

#248 Orzorn

• 3,327 posts

Posted 07 May 2012 - 05:31 PM

At 2:10 in the light mech video, we see the Hunchback sort of...flinch. It seems that, perhaps instead of getting knocked down when you take enough damage at once, your mech might lurch.

Additionally, and its really prominent in the light mech video, but also present in the Atlas video, you seem to be able to torso twist WITHOUT leading with your arms. In combat, you usually saw them turn by moving the cursor as normal and having the two reticules decouple and move. But if you look, in the Jenner video, we see the Jenner do really large twists without moving the cursors at all! It seems some other control is at work here. Whatever it is, it allows for much smoother twisting. Perhaps two keyboard keys that quickly turn the torso (and thus, aren't useful for aiming because they're keyboard keys and not very exact)?

#249 Corbon Zackery

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 1,363 posts

Posted 07 May 2012 - 05:32 PM

I think the IGN article went well. It shows that this is not going bomb like Mechwarrior reboot

Some of the video footage was strange:

In the assault video: Missles arching over hill If the recon mech in the vid was running TAG then everything is fine. But I mean if I move my mech out of site the missle shouldn't shoot upwards, and over the hill they should shoot out straight fwd. and hit the hill I think the mech took leg dmg too if the missles coming down on you your legs are not going to get hit. It might have been a type of ammo I don't know. I liked the two jump-jet jump shot Nothing like skeet shooting (PULL!).

The Med mech vid was the best. You got a good look at a short range fist fight. If you have a AC 20 don't back up once you commit to short range combat. your commited until you run out of the ammo blow up or know out your oppt

Light Mech vid also looked good. I would have linked the 6 pack to a laser group because It looked like you could have gotten a lot of crits on some of the dmg. mech but you were still using M. lasers. The Jenners not really a scout its a Hit and run mech.

Last gripe of the day Hardpoints in the mechlab for weapons. I would perfer a standard lab based off the holy grail rulebook like this one. http://remlab.source...mlab30/mech.lab I'm just not going to be interested in some mechs because of the way the hardpoints are set up on them It might cost me money but. People just have certain way they like to setup a mech.

Otherwise every thing was cool. I'm Looking fwd. to more. I see some minor gripes, and groans but nothing thats not going to make me not want to play the game in open beta tests or after release.

#250 Mr Smiles

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 141 posts
  • Google+: Link
  • LocationMaine

Posted 07 May 2012 - 05:35 PM

I saw someone already post a 'shut up and take my money' picture.

...so ditto.

#251 Solis Obscuri

Don't Care How I Want It Now!

• The DeathRain
  • The DeathRain
  • 4,751 posts
  • LocationPomme de Terre

Posted 07 May 2012 - 05:36 PM

View PostOrzorn, on 07 May 2012 - 05:31 PM, said:

At 2:10 in the light mech video, we see the Hunchback sort of...flinch. It seems that, perhaps instead of getting knocked down when you take enough damage at once, your mech might lurch.

Additionally, and its really prominent in the light mech video, but also present in the Atlas video, you seem to be able to torso twist WITHOUT leading with your arms. In combat, you usually saw them turn by moving the cursor as normal and having the two reticules decouple and move. But if you look, in the Jenner video, we see the Jenner do really large twists without moving the cursors at all! It seems some other control is at work here. Whatever it is, it allows for much smoother twisting. Perhaps two keyboard keys that quickly turn the torso (and thus, aren't useful for aiming because they're keyboard keys and not very exact)?

Yeah, I kind of wondered about that - wasn't the mouse supposed to control both torso twist and arm movement?
http://mwomercs.com/...warfare-part-i/

#252 Orzorn

• 3,327 posts

Posted 07 May 2012 - 05:41 PM

View PostSolis Obscuri, on 07 May 2012 - 05:36 PM, said:

Yeah, I kind of wondered about that - wasn't the mouse supposed to control both torso twist and arm movement?
http://mwomercs.com/...warfare-part-i/

See, that's the thing. It did, because we saw plenty of that leading stuff in the videos, where the circle would move faster than the cross. But then there were times where the torso would swivel (and in the case of the Jenner, swivel really damn far) and neither the cross nor the circle moved a bit. That tells me that they weren't using the mouse, of, if they were, they were using some modifier key. So its either a modifier key for the mouse (Which would make for 2 modifiers keys thanks to the pilot look key), or its a pair of keyboard keys that turn the torso without moving the reticules (I'm inclined to believe it is this, because a modifier key for the mouse would make that the predominant form of torso twisting due to the accuracy of the mouse and the lack of downsides).

Or maybe it was developer HAX!!1!11!

#253 Solis Obscuri

Don't Care How I Want It Now!

• The DeathRain
  • The DeathRain
  • 4,751 posts
  • LocationPomme de Terre

Posted 07 May 2012 - 05:48 PM

View PostOrzorn, on 07 May 2012 - 05:41 PM, said:

See, that's the thing. It did, because we saw plenty of that leading stuff in the videos, where the circle would move faster than the cross. But then there were times where the torso would swivel (and in the case of the Jenner, swivel really damn far) and neither the cross nor the circle moved a bit. That tells me that they weren't using the mouse, of, if they were, they were using some modifier key. So its either a modifier key for the mouse (Which would make for 2 modifiers keys thanks to the pilot look key), or its a pair of keyboard keys that turn the torso without moving the reticules (I'm inclined to believe it is this, because a modifier key for the mouse would make that the predominant form of torso twisting due to the accuracy of the mouse and the lack of downsides).

Or maybe it was developer HAX!!1!11!

Nope, I figured it out - look at the torso-twist indicator above the compass (and the FoV cone and dashed-line heading direction indicators on the minimap). That Atlas was at max torso-twist, but the arms could track a few degrees farther to go for the shot - I can see that being a very useful feature for some heavy and assault 'mechs!

Posted Image

I'm pretty sure the torso twist on the Jenner did go a lot farther (almost 180º) in the light 'mech video, which is another limitation of 'mech size that may be worth considering... But without true arms, the Jenner probably can't traverse its arm-mounted weapons much further than its torso mounted weapons.

Edited by Solis Obscuri, 07 May 2012 - 05:51 PM.

#254 trycksh0t

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • 1,176 posts
  • LocationUmm...in a building..on a road. I think.

Posted 07 May 2012 - 05:52 PM

Paul....Forumuserkiller...really? Well, I challenge your "Forumuserkiller" Hunchie to a duel with my "DevTroller" Centurion.

View PostBryan Ekman, on 07 May 2012 - 11:01 AM, said:

Why yes it is. MC = MechWarrior Credits. Direct and too the point, and totally non-creative. I can take the blame for that one. hehe

That seems like a mouthful, why not call 'em MechCreds? Even more direct and marginally more creative.

#255 VarietyOfCells

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Knight Errant
  • 904 posts
  • Facebook: Link
  • LocationNYC

Posted 07 May 2012 - 06:04 PM

Jenner not really having arms is my guess as well for lack of reticle lag.

#256 SilentWolff

• The God of Death
  • The God of Death
  • 2,174 posts
  • LocationNew Las Vegas

Posted 07 May 2012 - 06:07 PM

EPIC!!!!!!!

Ok, now that i got that outta my system, those videos and articles were really everything that I wanted to see. Mechlab looked very intiutive. Loved seeing the critical system back in place.
The role warfare, scouting in particuliar, are right outta WoT, except 20% cooler (shout out to teh bronies).
The mech animations look solid, the weapon effects were great (Loved the PPC's and missles looked sweeeet) Where was the zoom recticle though?
Excuse me now while I go clean up my pants and watch those videos a thousand more times. I'm sure theres a ton I missed.

PGI Love you guys !! ;) :wub:

#257 Orzorn

• 3,327 posts

Posted 07 May 2012 - 06:11 PM

View PostSolis Obscuri, on 07 May 2012 - 05:48 PM, said:

Nope, I figured it out - look at the torso-twist indicator above the compass (and the FoV cone and dashed-line heading direction indicators on the minimap). That Atlas was at max torso-twist, but the arms could track a few degrees farther to go for the shot - I can see that being a very useful feature for some heavy and assault 'mechs!

Posted Image

I'm pretty sure the torso twist on the Jenner did go a lot farther (almost 180º) in the light 'mech video, which is another limitation of 'mech size that may be worth considering... But without true arms, the Jenner probably can't traverse its arm-mounted weapons much further than its torso mounted weapons.

Ah, no, it wasn't that.

But I did figure it out...

I'm a *****. They weren't torso twisting at all. He was just turning his legs. Apparently turning with the legs alone does not throw off your aim at ail. Your reticules will only move if your move your mouse.

Go to 0:27 for exactly what I was seeing. I thought he was torso twisting, but he was just turning. It doesn't affect your aim at all.

Edit 2: If you go to 0:55 you can see the turning CAN alter your aim (keep an eye on the torso twist indicator. It doesn't move, meaning the mouse wasn't touched). So I believe it actually changes based on the speed you're moving. If you're moving really fast and turn, your cursors will strain to keep up, but if you turn at slower speeds they won't have an issue. Of course, this is just from my limited observations.

Edited by Orzorn, 07 May 2012 - 06:15 PM.

#258 Mike Silva

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 299 posts

Posted 07 May 2012 - 06:11 PM

What Variety said.... I'm guessing that maybe the range of motion in the Jenner's arms is somewhat limited because they aren't really arms.

What would be really cool is if we see 'Mechs with torso mounted weapons that can track like arms do.... an example being the unseen Marauder's autocannon is on a torso mounted turret. A number of 'Mechs have this feature.

#259 DaZur

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 7,511 posts
  • LocationWisconsin

Posted 07 May 2012 - 07:08 PM

fap.. fap.. fap..fap..fap..fap..fap..fap..fap..fap..fap..fap..fap..fap..

>>Grunt<<

Yup... I'm really digging these video, warts and all. ;)

#260 Helmer

• Stone Cold
  • 3,272 posts
  • LocationColumbus, Ga

Posted 07 May 2012 - 07:20 PM

Have not even watched / read/ looked at anything yet. Figures IGN would release all this after I leave for work and am gone all day!

Giddy with excitement right now.

Thanks guys!

Cheers.

27 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 27 guests, 0 anonymous users