3037 replies to this topic

#441 Comguard

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 652 posts
  • LocationBavaria, Germany

Posted 05 January 2013 - 08:19 AM

It's a 1,5 ton, 2 slots piece of equipement.

It takes zero skill to use. People sometimes complain that LRMs/SSRMs take zero skill to use. There you need to push two buttons, lock on and fire. For ECM you don't need to push buttons.

It makes you invisible. It makes your friends invisible. And it makes the enemies invisible for each other.

The composition of matches has completely changed. Weeks ago, the Jenner was the most favourite medium mech, the Commando something for lovers. Not he Jenner has been made obsolete by Commandos and Ravens - but just a special variant of them.

Same for the Atlas. Who saw the ECM-Atlas on the field before the introduction of ECM?

Fun fact: the lagshield-mechs got the perfect defense against their counter, the SSRMs. Because, while AMS for 1,5 tons and 2 slots, only lowers the damage, ECM negates it at all.

#442 Skyfaller

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,332 posts

Posted 05 January 2013 - 08:22 AM

View PostWolvesX, on 05 January 2013 - 07:43 AM, said:

Sometimes I think, do the DEVs even play there own game?

Or do they play it, if they play it, like powerplayers (OPstuffusers) like me would?

Dunno but i have a list now of players that abuse the lagshield and even drop in teams of 4 ecm lights to pull this crap.

I just leg them at map start if I can.

#443 Karl Split

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 727 posts

Posted 05 January 2013 - 08:25 AM

Any system that can completely negate another weapon system is ********.

Look at it this way. Newbie joins game and gets in missile mech. Newbie plays match. ECM raven comes say hello. Newbies weapons all stop working. He has no clue what is going on and diafs cause there is no way to stop it.

Great first impression. Only way to stop an ecm raven from ruining your day is Alt-F4 or walking out of bounds.

#444 PANZERBUNNY

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 4,080 posts
  • Facebook: Link
  • LocationToronto, Canada

Posted 05 January 2013 - 08:29 AM

I'm of the belief that ECM should just make the SPREAD of LRMS drastically larger. They are still fired like normal, but start to get wonky the closer they are flying near the center of the ECM bubble.

Keep in the radar jamming.
Increased LRM spread and SSRMS turn into normal SRMS, even though, yes I know in TT ECM doesn't effect Streak tech at all.
Couple the above with an activation switch and a slow, steady build up of heat from using ECM that will only go down when you shut it off.
Perhaps even the MORE friendly mechs being protected, the faster your ECM heat builds up as the system must compensate for putting out "stronger signals".

Done.

We have a decent item that won't be over saturated or abused and lights can get back to their role.

Edited by PANZERBUNNY, 05 January 2013 - 08:31 AM.

#445 Balfor

• PipPipPip
  • Knight Errant
  • 92 posts

Posted 05 January 2013 - 08:35 AM

View PostAlexWildeagle, on 28 December 2012 - 04:51 AM, said:

WOW! Talk about crying wolf. ECM is fine, just cause it takes away your super easy mode doesn't make it OP.

You want OP, a few mechs sitting back 800 meters making heavy mechs disintegrate in less then 30 seconds.

Before they can do anything about ECM they will have to fix LRM boats and streakcats. Then they can work on making ECM more TT like.

LRM Boats and Streakcats too powerful - I lol´d about that......

View PostGhogiel, on 28 December 2012 - 05:08 AM, said:

L2P, get on TS3, get a second job, Devs got to eat too.

Useless Answer, so FO!

Edited by Balfor, 05 January 2013 - 08:36 AM.

#446 Joseph Mallan

ForumWarrior

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 35,216 posts
  • Google+: Link
  • Facebook: Link
  • LocationMallanhold, Furillo

Posted 05 January 2013 - 09:46 AM

View PostPANZERBUNNY, on 05 January 2013 - 08:29 AM, said:

I'm of the belief that ECM should just make the SPREAD of LRMS drastically larger. They are still fired like normal, but start to get wonky the closer they are flying near the center of the ECM bubble.

Increased LRM spread and SSRMS turn into normal SRMS, even though, yes I know in TT ECM doesn't effect Streak tech at all.
Couple the above with an activation switch and a slow, steady build up of heat from using ECM that will only go down when you shut it off.
Perhaps even the MORE friendly mechs being protected, the faster your ECM heat builds up as the system must compensate for putting out "stronger signals".

Done.

We have a decent item that won't be over saturated or abused and lights can get back to their role.

I like most of this. Not sure about the heat idea, but willing to give it a run to see how it affects game play! :)

#447 Original ArchAngel

• PipPipPip
  • The Clan Cat
  • The Clan Cat
  • 73 posts
  • LocationIndiana

Posted 05 January 2013 - 10:21 AM

I think the concept of ECM is fine.. But I think it should delay targeting.. not make it 100% untargetable.. that's just god mode.

#448 Scryed

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 218 posts

Posted 05 January 2013 - 10:23 AM

View PostOriginal ArchAngel, on 05 January 2013 - 10:21 AM, said:

I think the concept of ECM is fine.. But I think it should delay targeting.. not make it 100% untargetable.. that's just god mode.

This times 1 million over and over and over.

#449 neviu

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 505 posts
  • Locationnetherlands

Posted 05 January 2013 - 10:32 AM

wolvex.
stop liking you`r own post everytime,.

oh yea and keep on whining!

#450 Abivard

• Shredder
  • 1,935 posts
  • LocationFree Rasalhague Republic

Posted 05 January 2013 - 10:38 AM

Posted Image

#451 Helsbane

• The Determined
  • The Determined
  • 1,102 posts
  • LocationThe frozen hell that is Wisconsin.

Posted 05 January 2013 - 10:38 AM

I pilot a Catapult missile boat. I'm strictly a support unit, and I'm fine with that. I typically average 4 to 7 assists per game, but rarely get any kills - but - that's not why I'm there. I'm there to soften up the enemy so the brawlers can finish them off. ECM in its current state may as well cause me to log out as soon as you get in range of me with an ECM equipped light. Yesterday I had a Commando with no functional weapons left keep me locked down for over three minutes while his partner and one of my teammates slugged it out across the map. All the Commando had to do was keep me in range and use the buildings for cover. I've got a pair of med lasers, but I can't shoot through buildings.... If ECM was working as intended, I could have supported my teammate with LRM fire, but instead I was trapped in a damn bubble the whole time. Can't catch it, can't outrun it, and can't shoot out of it with my primary weapons. Nice.

#452 WolvesX

• The Machete
  • The Machete
  • 2,072 posts

Posted 05 January 2013 - 10:47 AM

View Postneviu, on 05 January 2013 - 10:32 AM, said:

wolvex.
stop liking you`r own post everytime,.

oh yea and keep on whining!

Why should I exatly?

#453 Solis Obscuri

Don't Care How I Want It Now!

• The DeathRain
  • The DeathRain
  • 4,751 posts
  • LocationPomme de Terre

Posted 05 January 2013 - 11:35 AM

View PostPANZERBUNNY, on 05 January 2013 - 08:29 AM, said:

Done.

The targeting jamming is the outright worst aspect of the ECM, though - it doesn't follow TT rules remotely, and it allows a team to park a big pile of gauss boats and LRM boats on a ridge somewhere with relative immunity to counter-fire, unless the opposing team has remarkably better organization and focused fire.

Trying to make heat a balancing factor just encourages a team to bring more ECM 'mechs, for redundancy.

PGI needs to get back to TT double-blind rules and allow targeting of 'mechs with under ECM and info sharing, and basic missile locks. Delaying the time for target/missile lock somewhat would be fine, so would reducing detection range a bit (though not to such a drastic degree as -75%).

And if PGI isn't liking how much damage and accuracy they've given LRMs for indirect-fire, or the magic-center-torso-killing prowess of boated SSRMs, they should just tweak those systems directly instead of creating a "hard counter" as broken as ECM. Right now ECM is just making the worst cheese-builds stronger, so long as they have a D-DC or -3L buddy nearby.

#454 Kraven Kor

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 5,434 posts

Posted 05 January 2013 - 12:28 PM

View PostWolvesX, on 05 January 2013 - 07:43 AM, said:

Sometimes I think, do the DEVs even play there own game?

Or do they play it, if they play it, like powerplayers (OPstuffusers) like me would?

I have seen Devs in the "cheese builds" or FOTM builds. I've also seen them in just about everything else. I think you might find a few Devs in any game "gaming" their own game (since they know the mechanics intimately) but if you watch the "Dev Hunt" vids and such they are not god-like players for the most part.

View PostWolvesX, on 05 January 2013 - 10:47 AM, said:

Why should I exatly?

Because it is kind of narcissistic. Most people probably wouldn't notice or care, but a few are going to see that, and write off anything you say as coming from a self-important or narcissistic person.

It is kind of "bad internet manners" to like or upvote your own posts, artificially inflating your own "rank" on the forums or whatever.

Basically, it makes you look like a tool - whether or not there is anything else in your posts one could find fault with.

#455 Apoc1138

• 1,708 posts
  • LocationUK

Posted 05 January 2013 - 12:34 PM

View PostStalaggtIKE, on 04 January 2013 - 12:33 PM, said:

Not true. You can dodge lock on through:
  • sudden fast movement
  • putting terrain or obstructions between you and oncoming missiles
TT only way for accounting for movement is through a roll (chance).

If TAG isn't a counter to ECM then cover is not a counter to LRM's (they both are, but the QQ brigade for either will tell you it isn't which how we ended up with ECM in the first place)

#456 Kaijin

• 2,137 posts

Posted 05 January 2013 - 12:38 PM

View Postneviu, on 05 January 2013 - 12:10 PM, said:

You are realy a

Kraven Kor's response got the like. Yours got the report. Please don't talk about others ruining the game.

Edited by Kaijin, 05 January 2013 - 12:38 PM.

#457 shintakie

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 886 posts

Posted 05 January 2013 - 12:39 PM

View PostKraven Kor, on 05 January 2013 - 12:28 PM, said:

I have seen Devs in the "cheese builds" or FOTM builds. I've also seen them in just about everything else. I think you might find a few Devs in any game "gaming" their own game (since they know the mechanics intimately) but if you watch the "Dev Hunt" vids and such they are not god-like players for the most part.

Most of the devs I've seen in videos run absolutely abysmal builds for whatever reason. Paul at one point was runnin a K2 with 4 MPL and 2 MGs for example. I'm not sure why they feel the need to use such weapons, especially when they don't put them in mechs that can actually effectively use said weapons, but they do.

#458 Broceratops

• 1,903 posts

Posted 05 January 2013 - 12:40 PM

its rueened! RUEENED

#459 Kaijin

• 2,137 posts

Posted 05 January 2013 - 12:43 PM

View Postshintakie, on 05 January 2013 - 12:39 PM, said:

Most of the devs I've seen in videos run absolutely abysmal builds for whatever reason. Paul at one point was runnin a K2 with 4 MPL and 2 MGs for example. I'm not sure why they feel the need to use such weapons, especially when they don't put them in mechs that can actually effectively use said weapons, but they do.

Paul's K2 has more of a God Module than ECM. Besides which, 4 MPL is not a bad set-up for a speedy Cat. The machine guns OTOH, well...but they do have a nice sound effect!

#460 Helsbane

• The Determined
  • The Determined
  • 1,102 posts
  • LocationThe frozen hell that is Wisconsin.

Posted 05 January 2013 - 12:49 PM

Yep, it's official.... I'm putting my LRM support mech in storage till this crap gets fixed or turned off. Anyone know when the next patch is so I know when to log in again?

6 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 6 guests, 0 anonymous users