#481 demoyn

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Mercenary
  • Mercenary
  • 354 posts
  • LocationTexas

Posted 07 January 2013 - 02:00 AM

View PostDelas Ting Usee, on 05 January 2013 - 05:48 AM, said:

Wow, if you think it's just the LRM or SSRM people that are complaining you are way off base.
ECM is not fine. And I'll give PGI the next two patches to fix it - if not I'll take a hiatus and come back in a year to check things out - IF the game is even around anymore at that time.
I pug exclusively and it peeves me to no end when LRM boaters; under the SAFE umbrella of ECM can fire with impunity; sometimes even in clear sight, while their teams 2 ravens 3L run around amongst my team - targeting us and are immortal thanks to whatever netcode/hitboxes they have going for them...that's what gets me.
If I do have ECM on my team it's just one individual usually vrs 2 or 3 on the opposing team.
It gets very frustrating! ECM needs tweaking,
Really? That's your solution, make a sniper? That's the best you can come up with.
Teams with no ECM or less ECM units than the other mostly loses

Try getting out of a useless faiLRM boat and get in an ECM mech yourself. Sure, ECM is jacked up right now and needs to be fixed, but that's no reason to keep banging our head against the wall (and screwing your team over with your useless mech) while you wait.

#482 demoyn

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Mercenary
  • Mercenary
  • 354 posts
  • LocationTexas

Posted 07 January 2013 - 02:03 AM

View PostKarl Split, on 05 January 2013 - 08:25 AM, said:

Only way to stop an ecm raven from ruining your day is Alt-F4 or walking out of bounds.

Or.... you know... by using USEFUL weapons instead of LRMs...

#483 Kaijin

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,137 posts

Posted 09 January 2013 - 06:43 AM

Having argued against ECM's present implementation until I was beyond tired of it, a few days ago I decided to approach it differently by increasing the grief and running my own ECM mech, but not the uber lag Raven - Instead a Cicada. Though because my ping is usually under 50, if I drove a Raven it probably wouldn't benefit from Lag-Shield anyway.

I got a lot of kills, but they weren't satisfying, and I sort of hated becoming what I hated. So instead, today I dusted off my Commando, dropped the ECM into it, and went hunting ECM Ravens. I have to say this is much more fun because I feel good about myself doing it. Having less armor, I don't fare as well as I might if I was driving a Raven, so if I encounter any of the few actually good Light pilots in their Ravens, I'm toast, but the rest of them are easy pickin's. I run in counter-mode most of the time, only switching to disrupt-mode when someone tries to dissuade me from my mission by lobbing LRMS at me.

In future drops, I pledge to cease using disrupt-mode if all of the enemy ECM mechs have been eliminated. I encourage other players who have undertaken the same quest as mine to do the same. Fighting fire with fire, but once the fire's out, it should stay out.

Edited by Kaijin, 09 January 2013 - 06:50 AM.

#484 Mechwarrior Buddah

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 13,459 posts
  • LocationUSA

Posted 09 January 2013 - 06:52 AM

wow this thread is still alive?

Pretty much thinking the way it is is how theyre keeping it for now even though it means theyre throwing the timeline out the window

#485 Codejack

Dezgra

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,530 posts
  • LocationChattanooga, TN

Posted 09 January 2013 - 06:55 AM

View PostKaijin, on 09 January 2013 - 06:43 AM, said:

Having argued against ECM's present implementation until I was beyond tired of it, a few days ago I decided to approach it differently by increasing the grief and running my own ECM mech, but not the uber lag Raven - Instead a Cicada. Though because my ping is usually under 50, if I drove a Raven it probably wouldn't benefit from Lag-Shield anyway.

The problem is that, lagshield aside, Cicadas just aren't as tough as Ravens. I only drive mine because I have it speed tweaked and I need another Raven chassis before I can unlock it.

I got a lot of kills, but they weren't satisfying, and I sort of hated becoming what I hated. So instead, today I dusted off my Commando, dropped the ECM into it, and went hunting ECM Ravens. I have to say this is much more fun because I feel good about myself doing it. Having less armor, I don't fare as well as I might if I was driving a Raven, so if I encounter any of the few actually good Light pilots in their Ravens, I'm toast, but the rest of them are easy pickin's. I run in counter-mode most of the time, only switching to disrupt-mode when someone tried to dissuade me from my mission by lobbing LRMS at me.

Yea, that's a great tactic to make the enemy waste ammo; go running around out in the open in counter mode, then switch when you get incoming. The Commando also gets 3 missile slots, and the natural choice is SSRM2.

In future drops, I pledge to cease using disrupt-mode if all of the enemy ECM mechs have been eliminated. I encourage other players who have undertaken the same quest as mine to do the same. Fighting fire with fire, but once the fire's out, it should stay out.

No. I intend to continue drilling it into people's skulls that ECM is broken :)

#486 meteorol

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 2,848 posts

Posted 09 January 2013 - 07:42 AM

ECM makes me HATE any Atlas variant but the DDC.

I'm currently mastering the -RS and the -D variant and i'm hating every single second of it (still, it has to be done ;) ).
My DDC has similar firepower, but the incredible advantage of ecm.
I'm not saying ecm is a gamebraker (Well, i only use direct fire weapons now, but i can live with it), but it really renders all Atlas variants but the DDC useless.
I really feel like i'm hurting myself and my team by using the -D and -RS.

Edited by meteorol, 09 January 2013 - 08:09 AM.

#487 MaddMaxx

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Survivor
  • Survivor
  • 5,911 posts
  • LocationNova Scotia, Canada

Posted 09 January 2013 - 09:00 AM

View PostBluten, on 03 January 2013 - 02:46 AM, said:

Shouldn't have to wait for "new items" when BAP is already here and should logically do something vs ECM.

Description
The Beagle Active Probe (BAP) is a suite of enhancement technology that, when attached to general electronic sensors, enables the equipped unit to detect and classify other battlefield units -with the exception of conventional infantry- whether they are camouflaged or even shut down.[1]

In addition to the ability to detect and classify targets at longer range, the Beagle includes a memory unit that records the events of a battle and allows for later playback. This includes the ability for the user to "re-fight" the battle by making different tactical decisions, which are then analyzed and implemented by the system, allowing for the resulting consequences to be observed.[3]

I will assume you have "cherry picked" the word "camouflaged" which is apparent means the Infantry component, as they mention Shut-down Mechs specifically, as otherwise it make no mention of detecting Mechs under the ECM counter measure.

BAP is not a counter to ECM, unless the ECM carrier were to shut down, then as a result of doing that, their ECM is OFF.

Edited by MaddMaxx, 09 January 2013 - 09:01 AM.

#488 Codejack

Dezgra

• 1,530 posts
  • LocationChattanooga, TN

Posted 09 January 2013 - 12:50 PM

View PostMaddMaxx, on 09 January 2013 - 09:00 AM, said:

I will assume you have "cherry picked" the word "camouflaged" which is apparent means the Infantry component, as they mention Shut-down Mechs specifically, as otherwise it make no mention of detecting Mechs under the ECM counter measure.

BAP is not a counter to ECM, unless the ECM carrier were to shut down, then as a result of doing that, their ECM is OFF.

The Guardian ECM Suite was introduced in 2597 by the Terran Hegemony. Designed to interfere with guided weaponry, targeting computers, and communication systems, the Guardian is typically used to shield allied units from such equipment by emitting a broad-band signal meant to confuse radar, infrared, ultraviolet, magscan and sonar sensors.Affected systems include Artemis IV, C3 and C3i Computer networks, andNarc Missile Beacons. A Guardian can jam a Beagle Active Probe (or its Clan equivalent), but the probe-equipped unit will be aware of the jamming.

Since ECM doesn't work the way it's supposed to, why not change BAP, too?

Edited by Codejack, 09 January 2013 - 12:53 PM.

#489 Vassago Rain

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bridesmaid
  • Bridesmaid
  • 14,396 posts
  • LocationExodus fleet, HMS Kong Circumflex accent

Posted 09 January 2013 - 01:08 PM

Posted Image

A blo blo blo blo blo blo blo blo.

#490 J4ckInthebox

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 832 posts
  • LocationBritanny, France

Posted 09 January 2013 - 01:09 PM

Why is this thread still around ?

#491 Strucker

• PipPipPip
  • 88 posts
  • LocationTroll City

Posted 09 January 2013 - 01:51 PM

View PostJ4ckInthebox, on 09 January 2013 - 01:09 PM, said:

Because the issues have not been dealt with

ECM + 150kph mechs + lagshield + streaks = biggest bullsh!t ever
That plus a lack of communication from PGI since its implementation has meant alot of players frustrated by ECM have left or taken a break whatever you prefer.

For me if they dont address it in next weeks patch I will probably leave till university is done, in which event I may never play MWO again, there would just be too many brighter things to play.

#492 Harmatia

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 434 posts
  • LocationRed Deer, AB

Posted 09 January 2013 - 04:04 PM

View PostAlexWildeagle, on 28 December 2012 - 04:51 AM, said:

WOW! Talk about crying wolf. ECM is fine, just cause it takes away your super easy mode doesn't make it OP.

You want OP, a few mechs sitting back 800 meters making heavy mechs disintegrate in less then 30 seconds.

Before they can do anything about ECM they will have to fix LRM boats and streakcats. Then they can work on making ECM more TT like.

I used to think this way until I began encountering way too many Ravel 3L teams, either base rushing or circling teammates with lag-shield. The problem isn't with what ECM does, it is with what it has caused many players to do. The end result is no different than the LRM shows and armies of streak-cats that dominated MWO prior to the introduction of ECM. That is, what a substantial portion of the player base has done with equipment has lowered the fun factor of actually partaking in a match. And the biggest problem is ECM just has no trade off. It does not take up many slots or weigh a lot, there is no disadvantage to configuring it on an eligible mech. And there really needs to be.

#493 WolvesX

• The Machete
  • The Machete
  • 2,072 posts

Posted 13 January 2013 - 05:43 AM

View PostJ4ckInthebox, on 09 January 2013 - 01:09 PM, said:

Because the problem is still NOT solved!

#494 Jesus Box

Clone

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 111 posts
  • LocationInside a gold painted D-DC

Posted 13 January 2013 - 07:17 AM

Tomorrow the ECM will make LRMs bounce off of you as if they were made of rubber.
Then they will fly back to the LRM Carrier and hit him instead.
Whenever this occurs, a new voice track will play that shouts, "I'm da best!"

#495 El Principal

Rookie

• 3 posts
  • LocationHome sweet home

Posted 13 January 2013 - 08:07 AM

View PostFrDrake, on 02 January 2013 - 07:21 AM, said:

I've played alot of LRM boat, ECM is annoying yes but bring your own TAG and it's not OP.

As some others have rightly pointed out it's the netcode/hitboxes that makes the Raven-3L broken, not the ECM. I am not scared of ECM on a DDC as a LRM boat, TAG him and toast him. Commando doens't have enough armor and laser strafing quickly downs them too. The Raven is nigh impossible to kill and the Cicada a close second but the Cicada doesn't have the ssrms so friendly lights stand a chance against an enemy cicada.

Once netcode/hitboxes are fixed and the 3L is hittable, it'll be a death trap again and not the super uber mech.

If I would need LoS, I rather play lasers or "balistics" (in terms of AC adn so on) then missiles ;-) If incoming missiles bother you, go get some cover. If LRM boats bother you, go sneak around him. But ECM itself is much stronger.... And btw. make it Destroyable like AMS....

#496 KingCobra

• The DeathRain
  • The DeathRain
  • 2,726 posts
  • LocationUSA

Posted 13 January 2013 - 08:19 AM

NO ECM HAS NOT RUINED THE GAME!!!!!!!!! PGI'S bad judgment and bad MATCHMAKING has. Plus I could name a laundry list of things that make the game totally boring after a few hundred matches and there is no MechZilla.Posted Image

#497 King Arthur IV

• Moderate Giver
  • 2,549 posts

Posted 13 January 2013 - 09:11 AM

i dont think ecm is that bad but the combination of 3rd party viop plus ecm is ***. i have no clue where my team is but you know because you by pass the game.

#498 Koningswulf

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • 184 posts
  • Google+: Link
  • LocationSweden

Posted 13 January 2013 - 09:36 AM

I play a Lrm boat and ecm has not ruined the game, sure it has made it more difficult but ecm is in no way a winning thing nor is it OP, just adapt to it like i have.

Only problem is the lag shield and netcode for the light mechs that makes them near inpossible to hit

Edited by Koningswulf, 13 January 2013 - 09:37 AM.

#499 WolvesX

• The Machete
  • The Machete
  • 2,072 posts

Posted 16 January 2013 - 07:07 AM

View PostKoningswulf, on 13 January 2013 - 09:36 AM, said:

I play a Lrm boat and ecm has not ruined the game, sure it has made it more difficult but ecm is in no way a winning thing nor is it OP, just adapt to it like i have.

Only problem is the lag shield and netcode for the light mechs that makes them near inpossible to hit

Streakcats or ECM? I prefere SSRM Cats.

#500 Sheraf

• Mercenary
  • 1,088 posts

Posted 16 January 2013 - 07:14 AM

View PostKoningswulf, on 13 January 2013 - 09:36 AM, said:

When you have 4 ECM ravens circling you, that is going to be fun:)

I would fight the streakscat and SRMcat too. They are something you can hit :)

Edited by Sheraf, 16 January 2013 - 07:15 AM.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users