• FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 35,216 posts
  • Google+: Link
  • Facebook: Link
  • LocationMallanhold, Furillo

Posted 16 January 2013 - 07:14 AM

View PostHelsbane, on 06 January 2013 - 07:43 PM, said:

I must be a glutton for punishment, because I tried to give it one more shot in my LRM cata. After discovering the other team had 4 ECM units, I just powered down.

Funny part is when I am running my Non-ECM Atlas the field is flooded with Missiles. WHen I switch to My Missile boat to cap on the situation, 5 ECMs on the oppoing team!

Murphy's Law in action!

#502 Sheraf

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Mercenary
  • 1,088 posts

Posted 16 January 2013 - 07:17 AM

View PostJoseph Mallan, on 16 January 2013 - 07:14 AM, said:

Funny part is when I am running my Non-ECM Atlas the field is flooded with Missiles. WHen I switch to My Missile boat to cap on the situation, 5 ECMs on the oppoing team!

Murphy's Law in action!

This is what happened to me too. When I don't have LRM, the opposite team has a bunch of it. When I finally carry my own, ECM raven comes next to me :)

#503 Colddawg

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 317 posts
  • LocationYork, Pennsylvania

Posted 16 January 2013 - 07:30 AM

Why don't they reinstate repair costs for equipment for items like ECM and BAP? Make it expensive to run and repair. Hell there's other ways to fix stuff than by affecting it directly. Like "ECM shielding" for your mech so you don't affect your own mech. Just throwing out examples here.

#504 Sheraf

• Mercenary
  • 1,088 posts

Posted 16 January 2013 - 07:32 AM

Or give ECM a limited duration and a big cool down. That might work.

#505 Drunken Skull

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 187 posts
  • LocationAdelaide, SA

Posted 24 January 2013 - 11:06 PM

I think the situation is caused by the bad balancing of the game on launch. there should be a limit of say.. 2 ECM mechs per side. this would increase tactics like in a chess game.. if every chess piece is a queen or a castle the game becomes very boring.

Also.. if one side has no ECM the other side should have either none or their limit halved.

Instead of rejecting players that are running ECM from entering a match they should be informed that the limit is reached and be given the option of continuing with the drop and having a non-functional ecm or aborting the Launch.

Giving BAP a makeover would help.. BAP data could be used to create a magnetic view as seen on MECHWARRIOR 2. It would be cool to see the mag view cadastre image being warped by the ECM bubbles creating blind spots.

Edited by Drunken Skull, 24 January 2013 - 11:29 PM.

#506 SpiralRazor

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 2,691 posts

Posted 24 January 2013 - 11:54 PM

View PostAlexWildeagle, on 28 December 2012 - 04:51 AM, said:

WOW! Talk about crying wolf. ECM is fine, just cause it takes away your super easy mode doesn't make it OP.

You want OP, a few mechs sitting back 800 meters making heavy mechs disintegrate in less then 30 seconds.

Before they can do anything about ECM they will have to fix LRM boats and streakcats. Then they can work on making ECM more TT like.

"a few mechs sitting back 800 meters making heavy mechs disintegrate in less then 30 seconds."

Yes, you are a derp. A few mechs raining LRMS on a single heavy? Have you EVER played TT, read any of the novels or played any previous incarnation of MechWarrior?

#507 WolvesX

• The Machete
  • The Machete
  • 2,072 posts

Posted 07 February 2013 - 05:27 PM

ECM still needs some tweaks imo.

#508 GalaxyBluestar

• 3,748 posts
  • Location...

Posted 07 February 2013 - 05:29 PM

just get rid of the cloak friends and perhaps the mini map interference and all would be well.

#509 WolvesX

• The Machete
  • The Machete
  • 2,072 posts

Posted 07 February 2013 - 05:36 PM

BAP should be buffed also, maybe burn through ECm or so.

#510 Codejack

Dezgra

• 1,530 posts
  • LocationChattanooga, TN

Posted 07 February 2013 - 05:43 PM

The problem actually goes back to the armor change:

Too much armor made mechs too tough, so they changed weapon values around which made missiles too good, so they put in ECM which has made light mechs too hard to kil, AKA the "Summon Bigger Fish" problem.

If they just made missiles not track so well (say, only 50% hit with lock, no Artemis, TAG, etc), they wouldn't be as bad, then TAG, NARC, and Artemis could improve them back to where they were, at which point ECM only countering those systems would be good enough. No preventing locks, no decreasing sensor range, no confusing IFF.

IMO, that would make ECM about as useful as AMS (same weight, right?) and both of them together would seriously degrade missile performance without ruining the whole game. Moreover, each piece of equipment would actually be useful: If you want your LRMs to hit more often, upgrade to Artemis and load a TAG; if you want your streaks to focus on a single spot instead of spraying all over the mech, you need to hit them with NARC, first. BAP was honestly good enough allowing lock-on of shut-down mechs, when streaks were common enough to matter.

#511 Ash KA

• Pip
  • The Bold
  • The Bold
  • 18 posts
  • LocationAustralia

Posted 07 February 2013 - 05:51 PM

^^ good post Codejack

#512 WolvesX

• The Machete
  • The Machete
  • 2,072 posts

Posted 07 February 2013 - 05:56 PM

Yup! Codejack had some good ideas!

#513 KingNobody

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Survivor
  • Survivor
  • 216 posts

Posted 07 February 2013 - 06:04 PM

View PostBluten, on 28 December 2012 - 04:18 PM, said:

I told you people would eventually come around, and they are in droves against this stupid device. Well said Wolf. Hopefully Piranha eventually listens to the likes of us and decides to properly balance this game. ECM either needs a nice firm nerfboot(But with ability to slot on more than just 4 variants) or the BAP should be buffed up as a counter so you could take that as an alternative. As it stands now though, the ECM variants are best in the game and definitely far better than the others in their roaster. There's no benefit to playing a 2X or 4X Raven anymore. Forget any Commando without ECM. The K Atlas especially is garbage now, all this thanks to this poor game design. We've sat through this BS all month. Do something about this next patch already!

I like the Raven 2x...

#514 WolvesX

• The Machete
  • The Machete
  • 2,072 posts

Posted 20 February 2013 - 08:05 AM

ECM was terrible in MM3.

ECM is still totally broken, its ok for me, its a BETA, but some day I hope this will be fixed!

#515 Vassago Rain

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bridesmaid
  • Bridesmaid
  • 14,396 posts
  • LocationExodus fleet, HMS Kong Circumflex accent

Posted 20 February 2013 - 08:09 AM

View PostWolvesX, on 20 February 2013 - 08:05 AM, said:

ECM was terrible in MM3.

ECM is still totally broken, its ok for me, its a BETA, but some day I hope this will be fixed!

No, it wasn't. No, it isn't.

If normal ghetto n00bs can deal with it, embrace it, and even learn how to use it, why can't you?

It's not gonna change, and it won't be taken out. Stop crawling in your skin, and whining that these wounds wll not heal.

#516 WolvesX

• The Machete
  • The Machete
  • 2,072 posts

Posted 20 February 2013 - 08:14 AM

View PostVassago Rain, on 20 February 2013 - 08:09 AM, said:

No, it wasn't. No, it isn't.

If normal ghetto n00bs can deal with it, embrace it, and even learn how to use it, why can't you?

It's not gonna change, and it won't be taken out. Stop crawling in your skin, and whining that these wounds wll not heal.

If every mech in the game had the chance to equip it, would you NOT equip it?

#517 Grraarrgghh

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 829 posts
  • LocationCalgary, Alberta

Posted 20 February 2013 - 08:15 AM

View PostWolvesX, on 20 February 2013 - 08:14 AM, said:

You act like ECM mechs are the only ones people play.

#518 WolvesX

• The Machete
  • The Machete
  • 2,072 posts

View PostWolvesX, on 20 February 2013 - 08:14 AM, said:

Would you? Yes, yes you would, because if 1.5 tons OPness.

#519 DocBach

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 4,828 posts
  • LocationSouthern Oregon

All of the "normal ghetto noobs" I know in real life I introduced to the game played a couple times and were curious about why the missiles their trial 'Mechs were stuck using wouldn't work against these guys that kept popping up out of nowhere. Wipe after wipe they asked me to explain how ECM worked to them better because they didn't understand how they kept getting taken by it.

They didn't deal with it, or embrace it. They said "dude, that game sucks." Tried to convince them into giving it another shot, tried to show them it wasn't so bad. My cousin I think might have put it the best "you probably only play that game because you liked Mechs since we were kids, but that game really sucks with that steath ****."

Out of about a dozen people I tried to convince to play this game, 0 still do. Out of around 200 people who signed up to play with Murphy's Law only about 50 still do. Overwhelming reason why most left: ECM implementation and how the majority of equipment, updates, modules, and tactics revolve around either using ECM or countering ECM.

#520 WolvesX

• The Machete
  • The Machete
  • 2,072 posts

Posted 20 February 2013 - 08:25 AM

View PostDocBach, on 20 February 2013 - 08:15 AM, said:

All of the "normal ghetto noobs" I know in real life I introduced to the game played a couple times and were curious about why the missiles their trial 'Mechs were stuck using wouldn't work against these guys that kept popping up out of nowhere. Wipe after wipe they asked me to explain how ECM worked to them better because they didn't understand how they kept getting taken by it.

They didn't deal with it, or embrace it. They said "dude, that game sucks." Tried to convince them into giving it another shot, tried to show them it wasn't so bad. My cousin I think might have put it the best "you probably only play that game because you liked Mechs since we were kids, but that game really sucks with that steath ****."

Out of about a dozen people I tried to convince to play this game, 0 still do. Out of around 200 people who signed up to play with Murphy's Law only about 50 still do. Overwhelming reason why most left: ECM implementation and how the majority of equipment, updates, modules, and tactics revolve around either using ECM or countering ECM.

Yup! ECM is the main reason for all my build ideas. I must admit, I HATE it.

I HATE that its only 1.5 tons.

I HATE that it cloaks.

I HATE it has 2 modes.

I HATE that it only counters itself.

Rest are only soft counters.

I hated MM3 for it, because if you with 3 others in heavys, you could be sure that 4 others mechs had no ECM.

---

I know, feelings are not the right place for a rational discussion, but it IS OP!

Edited by WolvesX, 20 February 2013 - 08:28 AM.

4 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 4 guests, 0 anonymous users