3037 replies to this topic

#521 WolvesX

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Machete
  • The Machete
  • 2,072 posts

Posted 20 February 2013 - 08:34 AM

View PostGrraarrgghh, on 20 February 2013 - 08:15 AM, said:

You act like ECM mechs are the only ones people play.

I stoped playing with it most of the time, because I think its cheap, but when I'm getting angry I use ECM.

#522 Vassago Rain

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bridesmaid
  • Bridesmaid
  • 14,396 posts
  • LocationExodus fleet, HMS Kong Circumflex accent

Posted 20 February 2013 - 08:40 AM

View PostWolvesX, on 20 February 2013 - 08:14 AM, said:

If every mech in the game had the chance to equip it, would you NOT equip it?

I'd be in the best mech, whether it has ECM or not. I was driving double-Ds before ECM was even on PGI's mind. If ECM was so uber, everybody would be only in ECM mechs, and as time has dragged on, it's gotten to the point where there's too much MISSILE, and not enough ECM, in the ghetto.

That tells me that, maybe - just maybe - you're all making a mountain out of an anthill, and it's time you people stop posting about this, since it's obvious that it's not going away, it won't be toned down, and the larger majority of everybody has adapted to it already.

View PostDocBach, on 20 February 2013 - 08:15 AM, said:

All of the "normal ghetto noobs" I know in real life I introduced to the game played a couple times and were curious about why the missiles their trial 'Mechs were stuck using wouldn't work against these guys that kept popping up out of nowhere. Wipe after wipe they asked me to explain how ECM worked to them better because they didn't understand how they kept getting taken by it.

They didn't deal with it, or embrace it. They said "dude, that game sucks." Tried to convince them into giving it another shot, tried to show them it wasn't so bad. My cousin I think might have put it the best "you probably only play that game because you liked Mechs since we were kids, but that game really sucks with that steath ****."

Out of about a dozen people I tried to convince to play this game, 0 still do. Out of around 200 people who signed up to play with Murphy's Law only about 50 still do. Overwhelming reason why most left: ECM implementation and how the majority of equipment, updates, modules, and tactics revolve around either using ECM or countering ECM.

That's great.
Out of the 24 people we used to have in Kong, we now have somewhere in the vicinity of 40, and no one cares about ECM.

Let's post more of our personal experiences, because that's how you prove a common gameplay mechanic is broken.

#523 DocBach

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 4,828 posts
  • LocationSouthern Oregon

Posted 20 February 2013 - 08:46 AM

Personal experience aside...

1.5 tons:

Blocks all radar
Blocks all locking weapons, including LRM batteries weighing several times more
Blocks indirect fire
Obsoletes AMS
Blocks IFF
Only counter is itself
Every new piece of equipment or buff has been put in with effects specifically to try to negate it
Majority of tactics / loadouts tailored to compete against it
Gets more posts about it in the forums than any other equipment
Gets more posts where people say they're leaving the game over than any other equipment
Polls with 1,000 players voting say it made the game much less fun then more fun or much more fun combined

Yeah, guess my experiences must be out of touch with reality.

#524 Harmin

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 143 posts
  • LocationSussex, UK

Posted 20 February 2013 - 08:47 AM

Some people are way OCD over the ECM matter. Even if they got things their way, which I hope they don't for I consider ECM adding to the game nicely, then they'd find something else to obsess endlessly about.

Life's too short to get so wound up over something so small, especially when you're holding a minority view which is not shared by the people in power. Consider your health and close the subject.

Edited by Harmin, 20 February 2013 - 08:47 AM.

#525 Vassago Rain

• Bridesmaid
  • Bridesmaid
  • 14,396 posts

Posted 20 February 2013 - 08:50 AM

View PostDocBach, on 20 February 2013 - 08:46 AM, said:

Personal experience aside...

1.5 tons:

Blocks all radar
Blocks all locking weapons, including LRM batteries weighing several times more
Blocks indirect fire
Obsoletes AMS
Blocks IFF
Only counter is itself
Every new piece of equipment or buff has been put in with effects specifically to try to negate it
Majority of tactics / loadouts tailored to compete against it
Gets more posts about it in the forums than any other equipment
Gets more posts where people say they're leaving the game over than any other equipment
Polls with 1,000 players voting say it made the game much less fun then more fun or much more fun combined

Yeah, guess my experiences must be out of touch with reality.

I see. Obvously, all those people weren't being emotional they could no longer boat lurms for superfast farming, yes? Did someone conduct a real survey for this most ultimate and broken of equipment pieces? Do we know why people think 'it's not fun?'

Did you get a study group of some 2000 actual people together, so you could gauge their reactions and actual thoughts, both when isolated from the other subjects, and when herded together?

No?

Then your poll's meaningless. If it wasn't, I'd have posted in it, and it'd have gone somewhere. But I didn't, since this isn't an issue, and everybody with even a casual understanding of what was going on saw this coming missiles away. The game is literally made to have this item in it.

You don't like it, because you can't boat the lurms on your own? Then play something else, or send QQ to Paul over email. I'm starting to think he feeds on golden tears about as much as I myself do.

#526 Reported for Inappropriate Name

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 1,767 posts
  • LocationAmericlap

Posted 20 February 2013 - 08:51 AM

ecm is fine. it's everything else that sucks. Honestly its your own fault if you don't drive an ecm mech.

#527 WolvesX

• The Machete
  • The Machete
  • 2,072 posts

Posted 20 February 2013 - 08:58 AM

View PostBattlecruiser, on 20 February 2013 - 08:51 AM, said:

ecm is fine. it's everything else that sucks. Honestly its your own fault if you don't drive an ecm mech.

Yes, it is.

I own all ECM mechs and I still hate ECM.

#528 Joseph Mallan

ForumWarrior

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 35,216 posts
  • Google+: Link
  • Facebook: Link
  • LocationMallanhold, Furillo

Posted 20 February 2013 - 08:58 AM

I don't think its a minority view Harmin. There are lots of players who grumble and complain. Myself included, Guardian ECM is effectively an ANGEL ECM with Null Signature System... Plus the ability to nullify SSRMs completely which no ECM can do on TT. SSRMs become standard SRMs with Angel ECM.

#529 Vassago Rain

• Bridesmaid
  • Bridesmaid
  • 14,396 posts

Posted 20 February 2013 - 09:02 AM

View PostJoseph Mallan, on 20 February 2013 - 08:58 AM, said:

I don't think its a minority view Harmin. There are lots of players who grumble and complain. Myself included, Guardian ECM is effectively an ANGEL ECM with Null Signature System... Plus the ability to nullify SSRMs completely which no ECM can do on TT. SSRMs become standard SRMs with Angel ECM.

95% of the people who play this game have no idea what angel is, and don't know how null-sig or C3 computers work-
This is because no one players CBT.

ECM is ECM, and works a certain way in MWOland, just like MWOland's catapults come in four distinct flavors, while there's nothing stopping a CBT catapult from taking ECM, 10 machineguns, a 360 engine, and 4 clan streak 6..

#530 Reported for Inappropriate Name

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 1,767 posts
  • LocationAmericlap

Posted 20 February 2013 - 09:05 AM

View PostWolvesX, on 20 February 2013 - 08:58 AM, said:

Yes, it is.

I own all ECM mechs and I still hate ECM.

i think we just need bigger maps to be honest. by the time you can tag guys on most of these maps they're already in jamming range and it makes no point.

the ppc change is a step in the right direction to be honest. in fact i've been thinking about building something like this when we get bigger maps

http://mwo.smurfy-ne...0dbb189c88b677e

#531 Joseph Mallan

ForumWarrior

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 35,216 posts
  • Google+: Link
  • Facebook: Link
  • LocationMallanhold, Furillo

Posted 20 February 2013 - 09:06 AM

View PostVassago Rain, on 20 February 2013 - 09:02 AM, said:

95% of the people who play this game have no idea what angel is, and don't know how null-sig or C3 computers work-
This is because no one players CBT.

ECM is ECM, and works a certain way in MWOland, just like MWOland's catapults come in four distinct flavors, while there's nothing stopping a CBT catapult from taking ECM, 10 machineguns, a 360 engine, and 4 clan streak 6..

i would wager there are more folk who know what those systems do than you give credit for Vass. ECM isn't ECM in the MMO it is ECM and NSS at the very least.

yes there is ways to limit those Catapult builds on TT. There are rules for curtailing munchkin builds. I've taken part in submission contests which utilized them.

Oh, and not all of us are emotional or PO over the issue, we just agree there is a problem.

Edited by Joseph Mallan, 20 February 2013 - 09:08 AM.

#532 Ghogiel

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • CS 2021 Gold Champ
  • CS 2021 Gold Champ
  • 6,852 posts

Posted 20 February 2013 - 09:08 AM

View PostDocBach, on 20 February 2013 - 08:46 AM, said:

Only counter is itself

Nope

PPCs counter it now.

#533 PapajIGC

• PipPipPip
  • Bridesmaid
  • Bridesmaid
  • 60 posts

Posted 20 February 2013 - 09:09 AM

Dual Gauss to the face is pretty effective against ECM, particularly those 2Ds and 3Ls. If it don't kill them, they'll be avoiding your general area for awhile. What should really be nerfed is aiming.

#534 Gallowglas

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 1,690 posts

Posted 20 February 2013 - 09:12 AM

OP: I can assure you that I can still hit you.

Frankly, the game is a LOT more balanced now than it was before ECM. ECM definitely needs some further adjustment(s), but let's not kid ourselves that it was a better game when each team brought 4-6 LRM boats and everyone spent half of every match in cover from the missile rain. I'm not saying that ECM should be the current end-all-be-all of counters that it is now, but it definitely has put LRM's back into a more sane role. You still see them used pretty regularly, but now you see 1-2 LRM boats at most instead of it being the whole team.

Edit: I just now realized this was an older thread. ><

Edited by Gallowglas, 20 February 2013 - 09:14 AM.

#535 Reported for Inappropriate Name

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 1,767 posts
  • LocationAmericlap

Posted 20 February 2013 - 09:12 AM

View PostPapajIGC, on 20 February 2013 - 09:09 AM, said:

Dual Gauss to the face is pretty effective against ECM, particularly those 2Ds and 3Ls. If it don't kill them, they'll be avoiding your general area for awhile. What should really be nerfed is aiming.

only reason i've been putting off rebuilding the mech that gained me an 80 kdr in beta, the gauss cat, is because we get the jeagermech in march and until then i want to get brawling out of my system

#536 WolvesX

• The Machete
  • The Machete
  • 2,072 posts

Posted 20 February 2013 - 09:13 AM

View PostGhogiel, on 20 February 2013 - 09:08 AM, said:

Nope

PPCs counter it now.

For 5 secs, if you hit the 140 kph raven.

The raven must do NOTHING but puting 1.5 tons in. wow.

Counter: 3 Slots, 7 Tons, 8 heat, and skillshot.

Great counter!

#537 Gallowglas

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 1,690 posts

Posted 20 February 2013 - 09:15 AM

View PostGrraarrgghh, on 20 February 2013 - 08:15 AM, said:

You act like ECM mechs are the only ones people play.

I almost never play one and I do just fine most of the time.

#538 Vassago Rain

• Bridesmaid
  • Bridesmaid
  • 14,396 posts

Posted 20 February 2013 - 09:15 AM

View PostJoseph Mallan, on 20 February 2013 - 09:06 AM, said:

i would wager there are more folk who know what those systems do than you give credit for Vass. ECM isn't ECM in the MMO it is ECM and NSS at the very least.

yes there is ways to limit those Catapult builds on TT. There are rules for curtailing munchkin builds. I've taken part in submission contests which utilized them.

Oh, and not all of us are emotional or PO over the issue, we just agree there is a problem.

ECM in MWO works a certain way. It's different, and so's everything else. That's how it is, and how it has to be. If you can't get used to something over the course of two months, maybe you should spend your time doing something else.

I didn't whine and cry when warhammer fantasy changed. I stopped playing. My time's worth too much to QQ about things I have no control over, and no say in.

#539 DocBach

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 4,828 posts
  • LocationSouthern Oregon

Posted 20 February 2013 - 09:18 AM

View PostVassago Rain, on 20 February 2013 - 09:15 AM, said:

I didn't whine and cry when warhammer fantasy changed. I stopped playing. My time's worth too much to QQ about things I have no control over, and no say in.

I suppose many of us beta testers believe it is partially our responsibility to let the developers of the game know when something is amiss.

http://mwomercs.com/...__fromsearch__1

Perhaps not a scientific poll, but a very balanced and straightforward one in which a sizable population has cast vote.

#540 WolvesX

• The Machete
  • The Machete
  • 2,072 posts

Posted 20 February 2013 - 09:22 AM

View PostDocBach, on 20 February 2013 - 09:18 AM, said:

I suppose many of us beta testers believe it is partially our responsibility to let the developers of the game know when something is amiss.

http://mwomercs.com/...__fromsearch__1

Perhaps not a scientific poll, but a very balanced and straightforward one in which a sizable population has cast vote.

Good one!

2 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users