3037 replies to this topic

#681 Nick Drezary

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Nocturnal
  • The Nocturnal
  • 232 posts
  • LocationMoon

Posted 04 March 2013 - 12:19 PM

Oh come on! It could return Cicadas on the battlefield, we could have Big, fat, easy to hit raven 3L. Yes, it would give some pain in the *** for the lights, but hey, lights were unstoppable for the long time enough (yes, net code fix nerfed them but newer punished). It's time to kick their *****, not this time likely (Heavy mech pilot, that enjoy shooting fat cicadas with PPC)

#682 Angus McBeef

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 611 posts
  • LocationA little to your left.

Posted 04 March 2013 - 12:23 PM

Putting ECM on a hero mech would be a terrible idea. I am extremely glad it does not have ECM.

#683 PoLaR

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Vicious
  • The Vicious
  • 620 posts
  • LocationEast Bay

Posted 04 March 2013 - 12:24 PM

Well, It was obvious that there would be no ECM on this model, so my views have not changed.

Will be purchasing this tomorrow! Can't wait!

#684 BigJim

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,458 posts
  • LocationChesterfield, England

Posted 04 March 2013 - 12:24 PM

View PostKyone Akashi, on 04 March 2013 - 12:16 PM, said:

Do you really want to risk it?

Good question, and good post, even though I disagree.

Yes, yes I do want to risk it.

Right now, the only way to combat enemy scouts (read-Ravens) is to have more friendly Ravens in the area.
I spend half my life devising scout tactics in this game, being a full-time scout pilot since June, and I hate the current meta for Streak Ravens/Commandos, etc..

Scouts should be able to shoot each other all the time, and failing that ideal, hell, give all scouts ECM for all I care, so we can all shoot at each other, regardless of what variant we're running.

In their infinite wisdom ( :D ) PGI have made the Streak missile the only serious scout weapon in the game.
I hate that short-sighted decision, but while it stands, then I don't see why only the Raven and Commando should be allowed to be scout mechs - and make no mistake, the way the game is now, and for the forseeable, they are the only scouts in the game.

Every other non ECM/streak scout is just a kinder-egg toy, a Christmas cr.acker joke in comparison.

Edited by BigJim, 04 March 2013 - 12:26 PM.

#685 Kyone Akashi

• The Blade
  • The Blade
  • 1,656 posts
  • LocationAlshain Military District

Posted 04 March 2013 - 12:25 PM

View PostNick Drezary, on 04 March 2013 - 12:19 PM, said:

Yes, it would give some pain in the *** for the lights, but hey, lights were unstoppable for the long time enough (yes, net code fix nerfed them but newer punished). It's time to kick their *****, not this time likely (Heavy mech pilot, that enjoy shooting fat cicadas with PPC)
I think you may have missed the time window - you rarely see Lights on the battlefield anymore already, at least judging from the last 2 weeks of games I had. A lot of pilots seem to either have quit the game or (more likely) moved on to other chassis.

Also, you want to "punish" an entire weight class, really? (not even talking about the fact that there are Mediums that can move just as fast)

View PostBigJim, on 04 March 2013 - 12:24 PM, said:

Right now, the only way to combat enemy scouts is to have more friendly scouts in the area.
First off, Lights =/= Scouts. One is a weight class, the other is a role. Pet peeve of mine. :D

Secondly, the 3L is a Hunter-Killer. With the Cicada, all you'd get is another Hunter-Killer. One who would likely be better at it than the 3L was. What do we actually gain from this? Any Cicada pilot worth his salt would pick off easy targets first (meaning any non-ECM-Light) before moving to ECM-Lights.
We already have 3Ls doing that right now.

Edited by Kyone Akashi, 04 March 2013 - 12:29 PM.

#686 Surtr

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 566 posts
  • LocationDropship Naglfar, Clan Front

Posted 04 March 2013 - 12:28 PM

I'm speechless. I can't believe the dev's have added coolant flush. I'm not going to rage-quit, withhold money, etc. etc. I just think it is a terrible design decision.

#687 Stone Profit

• Mercenary
  • Mercenary
  • 1,376 posts
  • LocationHouston, TX

Posted 04 March 2013 - 12:29 PM

I too disagree with having coolant flush. Unlike many forum users, however, I will wait to see how the devs implement it before crying about it.

#688 IceSerpent

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,044 posts

Link?

Nevermind, found it.

Edited by IceSerpent, 04 March 2013 - 12:34 PM.

#689 Roland

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,260 posts

It is good that you made a thread about this, because otherwise I don't think anyone was gonna talk about it.

OH WAIT

#690 Zeh

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 343 posts

I dunno. Worked well in MWLL although it was controversial.

#691 deadeye mcduck

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 735 posts
  • LocationOutside the periphery

Posted 04 March 2013 - 12:30 PM

View PostStone Profit, on 04 March 2013 - 12:29 PM, said:

I too disagree with having coolant flush. Unlike many forum users, however, I will wait to see how the devs implement it before crying about it.

This, the community like to jump to conclusions before seeing details and its depressing.

#692 Surtr

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 566 posts
  • LocationDropship Naglfar, Clan Front

Posted 04 March 2013 - 12:33 PM

This is literally the first design decision I have had a problem with. I will wait to see how they implement it. But the idea of adding a crutch to the heat system is not the way I would have done it. You already have double heat sinks, you already have environmental factors, including water. So whats the point? I sincerely hope it is just an expensive module that won't really do much.

#693 jakucha

• Knight Errant
  • 2,413 posts

Posted 04 March 2013 - 12:33 PM

View Postdeadeye mcduck, on 04 March 2013 - 12:30 PM, said:

This, the community like to jump to conclusions before seeing details and its depressing.

Yeah, let's wait until we know how it works before everyone starts raging. Too late unfortunately.

#694 Khobai

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 23,969 posts

Posted 04 March 2013 - 12:35 PM

MW3 and MW4 had coolant flush. And coolant pods are a canon item. I don't see a problem with it. Especially given how much hotter mechs run in MWO than in tabletop.

But the idea of adding a crutch to the heat system is not the way I would have done it

Except the heat system in MWO is already way more punitive than tabletop and any other MW game to date. Stock Mechs don't even function properly because of it. The stock Cicada 2A can't even fire a small laser non-stop on Caustic without overheating LOL. So yeah I'm all for anything that mitigates heat in this game.

Edited by Khobai, 04 March 2013 - 12:39 PM.

#695 deadeye mcduck

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 735 posts
  • LocationOutside the periphery

Posted 04 March 2013 - 12:35 PM

Im not a fan of the idea, as it gives those with no clue how to manage heat a "get out of trouble" clause, but im guessign like most its a 1 use item that takes up a module slot.

#696 Carrioncrows

• Rage
  • Rage
  • 2,949 posts

Posted 04 March 2013 - 12:36 PM

Well it's a single use module.

So use it once and it's done.

The big question will be if you can equip more than one coolant flush module on a mech.

So if you could equip 3 or 4 modules all with coolant flush I could see where that would get a little insane.

#697 Wolf Ender

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 495 posts
  • Google+: Link
  • LocationSacramento, California

Posted 04 March 2013 - 12:37 PM

View PostKyone Akashi, on 04 March 2013 - 12:25 PM, said:

We already have 3Ls doing that right now.

wow reading comprehension is not your strong suit. the whole point of mr. Big Jim's post was that the only current counter for a raven 3L is TWO raven 3Ls. the point of wanting another ecm capable mech with missiles and speed is to provide an alternative to the current situation where the Raven 3L is your ONLY option (and to a lesser extent maybe the command).

i feel the more viable options you have, the better.

currently the Cicada's role is to back up the other scouts but even having 5 extra tons they still cannot put out the firepower that the 3L can. the reason is the lack of streaks.

Edited by Wolf Ender, 04 March 2013 - 12:38 PM.

#698 Roughneck45

• The Handsome Devil
  • The Handsome Devil
  • 4,452 posts
  • LocationOutreach

Posted 04 March 2013 - 12:38 PM

View PostCarrioncrows, on 04 March 2013 - 12:36 PM, said:

Well it's a single use module.

So use it once and it's done.

The big question will be if you can equip more than one coolant flush module on a mech.

So if you could equip 3 or 4 modules all with coolant flush I could see where that would get a little insane.

Or if the flushes can stack uses in a single module slot.

PPC boats are going to be even scarier.

#699 Roland

• 8,260 posts

View PostKhobai, on 04 March 2013 - 12:35 PM, said:

Except the heat system in MWO is already way more punitive than tabletop and any other MW game to date. Stock Mechs don't even function properly because of it.

Err...

In TT, if you run real hot, you suffer major penalties to virtually every aspect of piloting. None of that is in the current game, and there's basically no penalty at all for running exceptionally hot.

#700 Kraven Kor

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 5,434 posts

View PostSurtr, on 04 March 2013 - 12:28 PM, said:

I'm speechless. I can't believe the dev's have added coolant flush. I'm not going to rage-quit, withhold money, etc. etc. I just think it is a terrible design decision.

Honestly, of just about all the things that have or have not transpired since I joined MWO Beta right around Founder's Launch, this is the first one that has me "angry" per se.

Or maybe just sad. Can one be both sad and angry?

It's just, I.. I mean... *sigh*

Mechwarrior 4 builds all over again, calling it now. Also Coolant Flush is going to be this game's "Gold Ammo" I bet.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users