When Are We Gonna Get A Coolant Flush Module

3037 replies to this topic

#701 Khobai

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 23,969 posts

Posted 04 March 2013 - 12:41 PM

In TT, if you run real hot, you suffer major penalties to virtually every aspect of piloting. None of that is in the current game, and there's basically no penalty at all for running exceptionally hot.

Uh in tabletop a stock Awesome can fire its PPCs in a 3-3-2 pattern essentially non-stop without suffering any overheat penalties. A stock Awesome in MWO attempting to do the same thing shuts down in less than 10 seconds. So yes heat is much more brutal.

And yeah I agree MWO should have accumulative overheat penalties... but that would require reworking the entire heat system which is highly unlikely at this stage of the game.

Edited by Khobai, 04 March 2013 - 12:43 PM.

#702 Surtr

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 566 posts
  • LocationDropship Naglfar, Clan Front

Posted 04 March 2013 - 12:41 PM

View PostKraven Kor, on 04 March 2013 - 12:38 PM, said:

Honestly, of just about all the things that have or have not transpired since I joined MWO Beta right around Founder's Launch, this is the first one that has me "angry" per se.

Or maybe just sad. Can one be both sad and angry?

It's just, I.. I mean... *sigh*

Mechwarrior 4 builds all over again, calling it now. Also Coolant Flush is going to be this game's "Gold Ammo" I bet.

I wouldn't go that far. But I do expect to see an upsurge of hop-n-pop PPC/gauss boats, especially once we get the highlander.

#703 CycKath

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 2,575 posts
  • Google+: Link
  • LocationSE QLD, Australia

Posted 04 March 2013 - 12:42 PM

TT coolant pod took up space and weight, this being a module means it likely won't. I hope its stupidly absurdly expensive and MC only.

#704 Novakaine

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Veteran Founder
  • Veteran Founder
  • 5,703 posts
  • LocationThe Republic of Texas

Posted 04 March 2013 - 12:43 PM

I can't believe we don't have a Fozzie Bear holo yet.
If I had a Fozzie Bear holo I would be invincible.
PGI I demand a Fozzie Bear holo.
Fozzie Bear is just cool.

#705 Noth

• The Infernal
  • The Infernal
  • 4,762 posts

Posted 04 March 2013 - 12:45 PM

I don't like the coolant flush. What I don't like even more is that the devs seem to have backed away from their stance of "No Coolant flush" they have held up to this point.

#706 Khobai

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 23,969 posts

Posted 04 March 2013 - 12:46 PM

I don't like the coolant flush. What I don't like even more is that the devs seem to have backed away from their stance of "No Coolant flush" they have held up to this point.

IfI recall they said mechs wouldn't get coolant flush automatically. I never recall them saying it wouldn't be available through modules.

#707 Z0MBIE Y0SHI

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,152 posts
  • LocationStrana Mechty

Posted 04 March 2013 - 12:47 PM

View PostCycKath, on 04 March 2013 - 12:42 PM, said:

TT coolant pod took up space and weight, this being a module means it likely won't. I hope its stupidly absurdly expensive and MC only.

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!

#708 Orzorn

• 3,327 posts
  • LocationComanche, Texas

Posted 04 March 2013 - 12:48 PM

That would be Pay2Win, since it would confer a gameplay advantage and only be purchasable with MC.

That wouldn't make the item less powerful, only make it so fewer people got it, which is even worse.

Edited by Orzorn, 04 March 2013 - 12:49 PM.

#709 Dreamslave

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 627 posts
  • LocationUpstate New York

Posted 04 March 2013 - 12:48 PM

View PostObeast, on 04 March 2013 - 11:11 AM, said:

Its a shame, I would have purchased if it had ECM. Since it has no ECM it will be inferior to a Raven 3L plain and simple.

Exactly this. There is absolutely no reason to use this shiny new mech now, when an easily acquirable, c-bill mech that is superior in every way except armor is available to all. The ONLY thing one gains when using a CDA over a RVN or a Jenner is a bit more armor. The jenner and the raven both go faster than this new hero mech, the 3L has ECM and a similar loadout, the Jenner has JJ's and can have the exact same loadout. The X-5 has....well.....nothing of interest at all.

Edit: Just to reiterate what another poster said, the only count to a 3L is more 3L's. That in and of itself is ridiculous at best and nearly game-breaking at worst. There need to be more variety and this new hero mech absolutely could have been the saving grace, but PGI dropped the ball. Who knows there reasoning behind not giving the X-5 ECM, but I sincerely hope it wasn't because of the forums general feelings toward "ECM = OP".

Edited by Dreamslave, 04 March 2013 - 12:51 PM.

#710 Roland

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,260 posts

Posted 04 March 2013 - 12:49 PM

View PostKhobai, on 04 March 2013 - 12:41 PM, said:

Uh in tabletop a stock Awesome can fire its PPCs in a 3-3-2 pattern essentially non-stop without suffering any overheat penalties. A stock Awesome in MWO attempting to do the same thing shuts down in less than 10 seconds. So yes heat is much more brutal.

But in TT, the Awesome is firing only 3 PPC's in 10 seconds.
You're comparing that to this game, where you have fired the equivalent of NINE PPC's in 10 seconds (in 9 seconds, actually).

Even with the doubled armor values, you're increasing the damage output of the awesome in that scenario, so that alone would result in it generating more heat.

#711 Zeh

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 343 posts

Posted 04 March 2013 - 12:49 PM

And yeah I agree MWO should have accumulative overheat penalties... but that would require reworking the entire heat system which is highly unlikely at this stage of the game.

The Awesome can do the same thing in MWO. Just remember a TT turn is 10 seconds.

I guarantee you can fire 3 PPCs every 10 seconds all day e'r'ry day.

Edited by Zeh, 04 March 2013 - 12:50 PM.

#712 Fut

• Moderate Giver
  • 1,969 posts
  • LocationToronto, ON

Posted 04 March 2013 - 12:52 PM

View PostRoland, on 04 March 2013 - 12:38 PM, said:

In TT, if you run real hot, you suffer major penalties to virtually every aspect of piloting. None of that is in the current game, and there's basically no penalty at all for running exceptionally hot.

Although I doubt it's ever going to happen - I still wish, every single night, that the Dev's start to implement Heat Penalties.. Something like reduced speed (both walking and torso), reduced Radar Efficiency, reduced accuracy...etc..etc.
All these little things would really make people stop and think before letting loose with their 5th Alpha of a match.

And really, that's something this game needs - A reason for people to not just Alpha-Strike constantly with no consequences.
From what I recall, an Alpha strike was usually a last ditch effort, because the potential harm that a sudden massive heat spike could do to your own 'Mech.

#713 Zeh

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 343 posts

Posted 04 March 2013 - 12:55 PM

Yea, just posted this in another thread, but it's perfectly applicable here:

Yea... I think they do go way easy on overheating issues in this game. As far as I can tell, if you don't override, you never take ANY heat damage, which is a bit preposterous.

IMO if you're in a 6PPC stalker at 80% heat, and you fire all 6, taking you to 170% heat or so? That's all your torso armor right there. You shouldn't be able to go vastly into the red with no damage. The shutdown occurs at 100% to prevent damage, right? Then accrue damage for going over 100, override or no.

Edited by Zeh, 04 March 2013 - 12:55 PM.

#714 Kyone Akashi

• The Blade
  • The Blade
  • 1,656 posts
  • LocationAlshain Military District

Posted 04 March 2013 - 12:56 PM

View PostWolf Ender, on 04 March 2013 - 12:37 PM, said:

wow reading comprehension is not your strong suit. the whole point of mr. Big Jim's post was that the only current counter for a raven 3L is TWO raven 3Ls. the point of wanting another ecm capable mech with missiles and speed is to provide an alternative to the current situation where the Raven 3L is your ONLY option (and to a lesser extent maybe the command).
Either I fail badly to bring my point across or it is actually you who fails at reading comprehension.

I understand perfectly what effect Big Jim would like to see. I was talking about what effect I believe would actually occur within the game. And that is an ECM-Streacada replacing the 3L as the most loathed 'Mech in the field.

This isn't about "choice", it is about a superior option being available for real money only. If you think that such a Medium would easily beat a 3L, it stands to reason it has even less of a challenge with other typical "3L victims".
In essence, such a Cicada would be a Jenner-D with an added Guardian-suite and 3.5 tons of additional armor or heat-sinks for its medium lasers.

#715 RedDragon

• 1,942 posts
  • LocationKurpfalz, Germany

Posted 04 March 2013 - 12:59 PM

Out of curiosity. There are already some threads concerning this, so maybe we can gather the opinions in one single poll, like we did with 3rd-person view. And yes, the feature will come (since they already announced it) and we will have to see how it's implemented. But it won't hurt to get an overall view of how the community thinks about this. (Topics mostly only represent the negative opinions on something like this. Only people who are angry tend to start such topics)

So, do you think the implementation of coolant flush is a good idea?

Edit: Here are the exact rules how they will be implemented:
http://mwomercs.com/...10-consumables/

Which just strengthens my opinion that it will be a bad idea.

Edited by RedDragon, 04 March 2013 - 04:47 PM.

#716 Orthodontist

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 197 posts
  • LocationEndor, Moddell sector

Posted 04 March 2013 - 01:00 PM

Posted Image

#717 Extinction

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Philanthropist
  • Philanthropist
  • 114 posts

Posted 04 March 2013 - 01:02 PM

Hi there,
i left game couple of months ago cause game content was realy tiny....... handfull of maps with laughable variantions.
So what has changed after half a year of "Beta" (roflmao). Do we soon reach Alpha status? :D

No Fun aside... ist there any SIGNIFICANT new Content? With significant are NOT MECHS meant. How many maps are the now (REAL Maps not old one at night or with some snowflakes). Any Meta game now present? Factions? Factionwarfare?
And is there finaly a solution to Premade vs Premade and Random vs Random queue? (holy **** pls dont tell me its still Premade PUG-stomping with no real matchmaking after more than 6 MONTH!!!!!!!)

I realy dont know about all this and i dont wana read the whole Forum.
And NO THIS IS NO TROLL post. I just wana know if they did ANYTHING to solve the REAL Problems or if its still bringing out Mechs and cosmetics to make money for a unfinished game.
I loved Mechwarrior online and made a founder-account to realy support the game.

#718 Adrian Steel

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 545 posts

View PostRedDragon, on 04 March 2013 - 12:59 PM, said:

Out of curiosity. There are already some threads concerning this, so maybe we can gather the opinions in one single poll, like we did with 3rd-person view. And yes, the feature will come (since they already announced it) and we will have to see how it's implemented. But it won't hurt to get an overall view of how the community thinks about this. (Topics mostly only represent the negative opinions on something like this. Only people who are angry tend to start such topics)

So, do you think the implementation of coolant flush is a good idea?

I've heard this imbalances Clan VS Inner Sphere tech. Clan mechs run hotter in general, and coolant would negate one of their few disadvantages.

#719 Assiah

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • 539 posts
  • LocationColumbus, Ohio

Coolant flush is nothing but a crutch, the heat system needs a full overhaul as many of us have been saying since closed beta. I am very disappointed in PGI because they are opting for a quick bandaid fix again, as opposed to using critical thinking to find a real solution.

#720 Evinthal

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 660 posts
  • LocationGig Harbor, Wa

Posted 04 March 2013 - 01:03 PM

Uh where does it say that the coolant pod will be MC only?

Seriously where? From what I'm reading you can use CBills OR MC to buy the consumables.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users