Projectiles Do Not Do Concentrated Damage Anymore

153 replies to this topic

Poll: Projectiles implicit damage spread (134 member(s) have cast votes)

Do you think this mechanics is viable?

1. No (114 votes [85.07%])

Percentage of vote: 85.07%

2. Yes (20 votes [14.93%])

Percentage of vote: 14.93%

Vote

#1 Undead Bane

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 535 posts

Posted 06 December 2012 - 04:39 AM

Hello everyone!

Lately I was very frustrated by performance of my builds, that have high one-shot damage output (like, say 2xPPC+AC20 or dual AC20). The problem is, I could not kill mechs with one nicely placed shot in the head anymore, or could not kill lights even if I did hit them with full volley in one burst.
I could not understand if I started to suck so much in sniping, or it is something with game mechanics now. Damage got spread all the time, not going into the location I hit.
So, I collected data and asked support, if it is a bug or some kind of anti-one-shot protection mechanics.
It turned out, that there actually IS such mechanics, though even the GM I was speaking with did not know about its existence at first.

Here is my initial request letter:
Spoiler

And here is a quote from the latest response letter:

Dec 05 08:31 (PST)

Hello *******,
My QA team has cleared things up for me a bit. There was a change to the ballistic rounds handling to prevent many of the one-shot-kills that players were experiencing (and being frustrated by). The point of impact for many of these weapons has been increased, close range can further increase this diameter so the damage from your rounds was being spread correctly.
Seems we both learned something today!

Regards,
GameMaster
MechWarrior® Online™

So, this means, that big shell's damage is implicitly spread across multiple locations.
What I would like to know is your attitude towards such mechanics.

I will hide mine under the spoiler tag not to poison the thread.
Spoiler

Also, this was not intended to be a QQ thread. I, personally, do not QQ, I just really want to find out community's opinion on this. Basically, what is more frustrating: being one shot, or being unable to one shot somebody?

UPD:
Valuable info:

View PostNarnia, on 06 December 2012 - 05:08 AM, said:

• Gave the "bullets" used for the autocannons, gauss rifle, and PPCs a 0.25 m collision radius (it was previously 0, a single point)
From the patch notes received on July 12th.

However, the point is, that in last patch that was, most likely, heavily tweaked, which resulted in damage being spread all over the mech for, say AC20s, if the mech is as small as, say, Jenner. Not a 0.25m radius, seems much much bigger.

IMPORTANT UPDATE
As I see lots of questions regarding how exactly it was tested, I will post COMPLETE letter history here, that contains my mech's loadout, conditions, under which shots were fired and so on - all the data, required to reproduce.
So, here it goes, under the spoiler:
Spoiler

Edited by Undead Bane, 06 December 2012 - 07:04 AM.

#2 Urza Mechwalker

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • 394 posts
  • LocationBrazil, Santa Catarina

Posted 06 December 2012 - 04:41 AM

Doing that would be a GIANT facepalm. The spread damage is supposed to be an LBX thing.

#3 Felix

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 656 posts

Posted 06 December 2012 - 04:42 AM

an AC 20 to the chest/leg what have you should snap it in a light

So I voted no.

But who can be surprised really? PGI is showing just how badly they are at running things

#4 J4ckInthebox

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 832 posts
  • LocationBritanny, France

Posted 06 December 2012 - 04:45 AM

WHY THE **** THAT GAME-CHANGING TWEAK WAS NOT IN THE ******** PATCHNOTE !

#5 Jace11

• PipPipPip
  • 94 posts

Posted 06 December 2012 - 04:47 AM

Please tell me this isn't true...

What is the point is aiming, or being able to aim? What is point I'm large calibre weapons? Also, how, if it is true, did they sneak this in without telling us? What does that say about how they treat us, what information we deserve to know and what they do, if they perceive its a change we might not like?

#6 Joseph Mallan

ForumWarrior

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 35,216 posts
  • Google+: Link
  • Facebook: Link
  • LocationMallanhold, Furillo

The point of impact for many of these weapons has been increased, close range can further increase this diameter so the damage from your rounds was being spread correctly.
If what I read is true, They are not understanding the concept of "Point of Impact".

There was a change to the ballistic rounds handling to prevent many of the one-shot-kills that players were experiencing (and being frustrated by).
Of course it will be frustrating to be one shot killed, but we are pretending to be cold blooded killers, trained professional Soldiers. I was told on multiple occasions our life expectancy was 2.4 seconds in a real fire fight. People shouldn't play at war if they aren't able to handle the mortality rate!

Edited by Joseph Mallan, 06 December 2012 - 04:49 AM.

#7 Apoc1138

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,708 posts
  • LocationUK

oh dear... I did wonder why my PPC build was being so much less effective last night
this needs un-F-ing

#8 J4ckInthebox

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 832 posts

Posted 06 December 2012 - 04:49 AM

by the way, it is supposed to be armor-piercing rounds, so spread damage makes no sense.

#9 MustrumRidcully

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 10,644 posts

Posted 06 December 2012 - 04:51 AM

Wait, what? Auto-Cannons now spread their damage?

Isn't that the thing we all thought wasn't even possible, so that any reports of PPC damage spreading must be an error with the damage indicator?

If they want weapon spread, give us a cone of fire. If they don't want cone of fire, give us pinpoint damage.

And if you worry about head shots? Let head shots no longer destroy a mech, just disable the HUD.

Edited by MustrumRidcully, 06 December 2012 - 04:53 AM.

#10 Sorter

• PipPipPip
  • Veteran Founder
  • Veteran Founder
  • 55 posts

Posted 06 December 2012 - 04:52 AM

You guys actually play the game? Im a gauss / uac5 sniper and I cored loads of mech's tonight, and dearmed even more of them, Nothing spreads on other parts of the mech. Also i was cored couple times too with quad ac2 while powered down, while my side torsoes were still yellow. I understand that forums got their own law's and every bit of "non official info" is taken for a 100% confirmed game breaker, but cmon ... less qq more pew pew tbh.

#11 Jace11

• PipPipPip
  • 94 posts

Posted 06 December 2012 - 04:53 AM

It's a software company playing with balancing. Trying new stuff, not knowing really what to do, who to please. Seen it before, they will repeatedly nerf and buff things and then make left field changes like this. Though, sneaking things,like this through is a new low... They could guess the hardcore response to something so lame like this, so they decided not to tell you...

#12 Undead Bane

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 535 posts

Posted 06 December 2012 - 04:53 AM

View PostMustrumRidcully, on 06 December 2012 - 04:51 AM, said:

Wait, what? Auto-Cannons now spread their damage?

Isn't that the thing we all thought wasn't even possible, so that any reports of PPC damage spreading must be an error with the damage indicator?

If they want weapon spread, give us a cone of fire. If they don't want cone of fire, give us pinpoint damage.

Yep. And it turned out that was REALLY damage being spread across the mech.

#13 Thorn Hallis

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,902 posts
  • LocationUnited States of Paranoia

Posted 06 December 2012 - 04:54 AM

Is this allready live?

#14 Dr Killinger

• Big Brother
  • Big Brother
  • 1,236 posts
  • LocationJohannesburg, South Africa

Posted 06 December 2012 - 04:54 AM

...what?

I can see the reasoning of reducing the chances of being one shotted, but this seems frustrating, especially since I run 2 PPCs and a Gauss Rifle. I'll have to play more to draw a conclusion.

#15 Undead Bane

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 535 posts

Posted 06 December 2012 - 04:55 AM

View PostSorter, on 06 December 2012 - 04:52 AM, said:

You guys actually play the game? Im a gauss / uac5 sniper and I cored loads of mech's tonight, and dearmed even more of them, Nothing spreads on other parts of the mech. Also i was cored couple times too with quad ac2 while powered down, while my side torsoes were still yellow. I understand that forums got their own law's and every bit of "non official info" is taken for a 100% confirmed game breaker, but cmon ... less qq more pew pew tbh.

This affects large high burst damage projectiles in the first place. Meaning AC20, AC10, PPCs. I, personally, experienced this A LOT with dual AC20. Don't know, by the way, if Gauss is affected.
I did not notice anything like it with UAC5/AC5 or AC2, their projectile is small. So sorry, your experience is unrelated.

And no, this was not intended to be a QQ "OMGNERFTHATBUFFTHISSSS" thread. I really want to find out the opinion.

Edited by Undead Bane, 06 December 2012 - 04:56 AM.

#16 J4ckInthebox

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 832 posts

Posted 06 December 2012 - 04:58 AM

I would very much like an official answer in that matter.

I don't really care about the tweak in itself, I am a very poor shot (I am more more the spray and pray type :rolleyes: )

But sneak nerfs behind our backs like that? That is low. Very, very low.

Edited by J4ckInthebox, 06 December 2012 - 04:59 AM.

#17 Joseph Mallan

ForumWarrior

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 35,216 posts
  • Google+: Link
  • Facebook: Link
  • LocationMallanhold, Furillo

Posted 06 December 2012 - 04:59 AM

Doc, I don't see the reason for screwing with one shots. It's combat. in combat people die, sometimes they die in a blink of an eye. Not everyone can master one shot killing but those who can deserve their moment of glory.

#18 Redshift2k5

Welcoming Committee

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Stone Cold
  • Stone Cold
  • 11,975 posts
  • LocationNewfoundland

Posted 06 December 2012 - 04:59 AM

They want fewer headshots in the game.

Deal with it.

#19 Undead Bane

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 535 posts

Posted 06 December 2012 - 05:00 AM

View PostJ4ckInthebox, on 06 December 2012 - 04:58 AM, said:

I would very much like an official answer in that matter.

I don't really care about the tweak in itself, I am a very poor shot (I am more more the spray and pray type :rolleyes: )

But sneak nerfs behind our backs like that? That is low. Very, very low.

Hm, and by "official" you mean what? Devs?
So far, I have a letter from Game Master, recieved from official address. IMO, it's official enough.

#20 Omigir

Can I have a hug? :(

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 1,800 posts
  • LocationVa

Posted 06 December 2012 - 05:01 AM

has anybody stopped to see what kind of a spread that is being discussed here?

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users