75 replies to this topic

#1 Garth Erlam

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,756 posts
  • Facebook: Link
  • YouTube: Link
  • LocationVancouver, BC

Posted 14 May 2012 - 09:02 AM

[VICTOR MORSON]: I know in the IGN videos at several points the fact the majority of 'mechs on the battlefield will be mediums was brought up. However, past experience with MechWarrior has lead people to ton up very quickly into one of three roles: A light recon 'mech (which will be very useful here), a fast heavy "raider" and huge assault gunboats. Given the mediums introduced so far are similar in speed to assaults and heavies while carrying far less firepower and armor (thus not having a speed bonus), what will be the primary incentive / limiting factor to make this a reality? How will companies comprised of 10 assault/high end heavies and a couple scouts be prevented and why would I want to drive a Hunchback over an Atlas given the small speed but radical armor and firepower increases?

[PAUL]: There are a number of factors that come to play here. First off, the list of ’Mechs you’ve seen so far are the initial set. We are rolling out new ’Mechs on a scheduled release that diversify the battlefield make-up.

Second, what you saw in the IGN video was a controlled demonstration of the game. Not that we weren’t running around in generic ’Mechs or anything. We just wanted to show off as many varieties to the community as currently possible. When it comes to our Friday play day, it’s a no-holds-barred smash fest that winds up with everyone’s favorite ’Mechs tweaked in MechLab to someone’s ideal of the best loadout for that chassis.

Third, what we’ve found is that there is no ideal loadout, it comes down to how you play with the loadout that you’re using that matters. You may think that everyone would jump in an assault ’Mech loaded to the nines with weapons but this isn’t the case. All ’Mech categories are effective against assaults. In fact, all ’Mechs are very capable of taking down any other category of ’Mech. We’ve seen the entire gamut of gameplay playout on the field and it comes down to working together and actually sticking together to be successful. I’ve seen assaults blow holes through lights… I’ve seen lights peck and chip away at assaults and core them… I’ve seen heavies engaged in closed quarter combat only to be outflanked by a fast mover punching holes in the back armor and I’ve seen slower heavies/mediums stand their ground and devastate enemies in outnumbered combat.

Lastly, there will be a team balancing mechanic in place when it comes to finding matches. We are still working out the final details on how we want this to work whether it goes with BV or based on tonnage or a combination therein.

Freebie Answer 1:
[DYMLOS2003]: My question is are we going to be able to create custom matches so that we organize clan matches, play against our friends, create machinima, ect. ect.

[BRYAN]: Not at launch. Post launch, maybe. This is not a traditional multiplayer game.

Freebie Answer 2:
[PROSPERITY PARK]: How much will the act of customizing your Mech cost, aside from just the cost of Parts (what should we expect for MechLab Technical Labor costs)?

[BRYAN]: None. But now you’ve planted the seed. Muhaha.

(We'll be opening the next Question thread soon, so if your question wasn't answered, or you have a new one, go post it there!)

#2 OhGilPin

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 419 posts
  • LocationUnited Kingdom

Posted 14 May 2012 - 09:08 AM

Looking forward to facing a Lyran assault company on the field.

Edited by OhGilPin, 14 May 2012 - 09:20 AM.

#3 Sprouticus

• Bridesmaid
  • 2,781 posts
  • LocationChicago, Il, USA

Posted 14 May 2012 - 09:09 AM

Lastly, there will be a team balancing mechanic in place when it comes to finding matches. We are still working out the final details on how we want this to work whether it goes with BV or based on tonnage or a combination therein.

This. Glad to see an answer on this, even if it is 'we are looking at options'.

#4 Aegis Kleais

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 6,003 posts

Posted 14 May 2012 - 09:17 AM

So basically "all weight classes can take down any other weight class".

Something that we've discussed before at length, and it's proving true in play tests. The Mech doesn't make as big a deal to the success as the pilot does.

Once a pilot has melded with a Mech and spec'd it out to handle the role the pilot plays to, they are thrown into the chaos of battle. Things are not taken equivocally on a spec by spec basis. There's just too many dynamics in battle to say "this is better than that".

#5 Mechteric

• Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 7,308 posts
  • LocationRTP, NC

Posted 14 May 2012 - 09:32 AM

great answers!

#6 pesco

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,008 posts

Posted 14 May 2012 - 09:41 AM

I find it surprising that lower repair costs were not listed as a benefit of lighter chassis.

Also I was kind of hoping that 'Mech customization would carry a cost beyond parts, making it more special to pilot a custom mech.

#7 Kenyon Burguess

• Veteran Founder
  • Veteran Founder
  • 2,619 posts
  • LocationNE PA USA

Posted 14 May 2012 - 09:42 AM

sounds nice. would like to see a few more of the different medium mechs in motion besides the lovely hunchback

#8 Cifu

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 348 posts
  • LocationHungary, EU

Posted 14 May 2012 - 09:49 AM

View PostSprouticus, on 14 May 2012 - 09:09 AM, said:

This. Glad to see an answer on this, even if it is 'we are looking at options'.

What i'm concerned very-very deep. The BV is based on Table-top game. But the Equipments and Weapons are can become very different in the light of the usefullness in the TT and in the MWO.

It's hell of the job to make a enjoyable, understandable and fair match-making system...

#9 guardian wolf

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Merciless
  • The Merciless
  • 1,965 posts
  • LocationOn Barcelona where the crap is about to hit the fan.

Posted 14 May 2012 - 09:50 AM

View PostOhGilPin, on 14 May 2012 - 09:08 AM, said:

Looking forward to facing a Lyran assault company on the field.

"SIR AN ENEMY ASSUALT LANCE IS HEADED THIS WAY!!!"
"Let them come, and join us in the dance of death. Time to repay their grievances,"

#10 MaddMaxx

• Survivor
  • Survivor
  • 5,911 posts
  • LocationNova Scotia, Canada

Posted 14 May 2012 - 10:27 AM

View Postpesco, on 14 May 2012 - 09:41 AM, said:

I find it surprising that lower repair costs were not listed as a benefit of lighter chassis.

Also I was kind of hoping that 'Mech customization would carry a cost beyond parts, making it more special to pilot a custom mech.

Wouldn't lower repair costs be a built-in benefit of a Lighter Chassis? A light chassis carries less armor. A ton of armor costs what a ton costs. A Light chassis carries less weapons. The BULK of any repair Bill will likely the replacement of lost weapons.

With a MechLab what "customization costs" were you thinking about? Repair time will not be an issue so that rules out better paid Tech crews. A "Custom Mech" may still cost more to maintain given higher costs for components such as ES, FF, XL engines and T2 weapons and EW gear.

#11 Ramien

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 734 posts
  • LocationToledo

Posted 14 May 2012 - 10:30 AM

View PostCifu, on 14 May 2012 - 09:49 AM, said:

What i'm concerned very-very deep. The BV is based on Table-top game. But the Equipments and Weapons are can become very different in the light of the usefullness in the TT and in the MWO.

It's hell of the job to make a enjoyable, understandable and fair match-making system...

So who's to say that the BV calculations won't be changed to reflect the online experience, if that's the method they choose?

#12 BanditRaptor

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • 336 posts
  • LocationHouston, TX

Posted 14 May 2012 - 10:53 AM

View PostGarth Erlam, on 14 May 2012 - 09:02 AM, said:

Freebie Answer 1:
[DYMLOS2003]: My question is are we going to be able to create custom matches so that we organize clan matches, play against our friends, create machinima, ect. ect.

[BRYAN]: Not at launch. Post launch, maybe. This is not a traditional multiplayer game.

Wait, so is there no way to play with our friends in this game, we're forced to play with random people 100 percent of the time?

That sounds like a deal breaker for... pretty much the entire mechwarrior community that's been built up over the last twenty years or so, and serious cause for alarm. I mean, if we can't play with our friends then what's the point of playing a multiplayer game in the first place? That's what multiplayer was made for.

Heck, what's the point of mercenary companies if they're not going to play together? Why bother playing a "thinking man's FPS" if there's no strategy involved, no match preplanning, no trusted teammates you can communicate clearly with and understand the actions of, instead you're just lumped in a team of 12 random dudes and hope none of them pull a Leeroy Jenkins?

That's... I mean, that can't be right. That seriously cannot be right.

#13 Monky

• Shredder
  • Shredder
  • 3,219 posts
  • LocationHypothetical Warrior

Posted 14 May 2012 - 10:58 AM

View PostBeakieHelmet, on 14 May 2012 - 10:53 AM, said:

Wait, so is there no way to play with our friends in this game, we're forced to play with random people 100 percent of the time?

That sounds like a deal breaker for... pretty much the entire mechwarrior community that's been built up over the last twenty years or so, and serious cause for alarm. I mean, if we can't play with our friends then what's the point of playing a multiplayer game in the first place? That's what multiplayer was made for.

Heck, what's the point of mercenary companies if they're not going to play together? Why bother playing a "thinking man's FPS" if there's no strategy involved, no match preplanning, no trusted teammates you can communicate clearly with and understand the actions of, instead you're just lumped in a team of 12 random dudes and hope none of them pull a Leeroy Jenkins?

That's... I mean, that can't be right. That seriously cannot be right.

I think you're reading waaaaaaaaay too much into it.

Matchmakers can work with group setups.

#14 Mechteric

• Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 7,308 posts
  • LocationRTP, NC

Posted 14 May 2012 - 11:01 AM

View PostBeakieHelmet, on 14 May 2012 - 10:53 AM, said:

Wait, so is there no way to play with our friends in this game, we're forced to play with random people 100 percent of the time? That sounds like a deal breaker for... pretty much the entire mechwarrior community that's been built up over the last twenty years or so, and serious cause for alarm. I mean, if we can't play with our friends then what's the point of playing a multiplayer game in the first place? That's what multiplayer was made for. Heck, what's the point of mercenary companies if they're not going to play together? Why bother playing a "thinking man's FPS" if there's no strategy involved, no match preplanning, no trusted teammates you can communicate clearly with and understand the actions of, instead you're just lumped in a team of 12 random dudes and hope none of them pull a Leeroy Jenkins? That's... I mean, that can't be right. That seriously cannot be right.

I think what is meant is that you'll be able to play with your friends (as in on the same team), but who you fight against is up to the matchmaker

#15 Outlaw2

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 526 posts
  • LocationIn a van...

Posted 14 May 2012 - 11:10 AM

View PostAegis Kleais™, on 14 May 2012 - 09:17 AM, said:

So basically "all weight classes can take down any other weight class".

The reamins to be seen, really.
Its one thing for the dev's family and friends playing ti together. Its another thing entirely when you unleash the game to the general public and actual players are squeezing the life out of it for everything that its worth ...with zero bias in wanting it to be balanced.

I'm glad they are considering the BV/tonnage system for matchmaking. It will be needed. The "all mechs are special" argument for balancing won't last the first week of play time post launch (hell open beta).

#16 Kudzu

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 769 posts
  • LocationSomewhere in the SEC

Posted 14 May 2012 - 11:24 AM

View PostCifu, on 14 May 2012 - 09:49 AM, said:

You realize that the BV numbers are based on formulas and that those formulas can be changed to fit MWO online better, right? In other words if weapon X is better on the TT than it is in MWO it's BV can be lowered to match it's effectiveness, while if system Y is better in MWO than in the TT it's price can be raised. The best part is as they gather data from games play they can adjust those formulas with patches, something the TT could not do.

#17 Felicitatem Parco

Professor of Memetics

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 13,522 posts
  • LocationIs Being Obscured By ECM

Posted 14 May 2012 - 11:38 AM

We can just wait for BV MWO.0 rules to come out, and we'll be set. I'm sure they will change over time to BV MW:O.1, MW:O.2, etc. as they refine the game's operating environment.

#18 Grokmoo

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 289 posts
  • LocationWashington, DC

Posted 14 May 2012 - 11:38 AM

I am fine with no custom matches, as long as there are options to be able to join the same game as friends. Which I'm sure the devs, in their infinite foresight, have already thought of :rolleyes:

#19 Aegis Kleais

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 6,003 posts

Posted 14 May 2012 - 11:39 AM

View Post=Outlaw=, on 14 May 2012 - 11:10 AM, said:

The reamins to be seen, really.
Its one thing for the dev's family and friends playing ti together. Its another thing entirely when you unleash the game to the general public and actual players are squeezing the life out of it for everything that its worth ...with zero bias in wanting it to be balanced.

I'm glad they are considering the BV/tonnage system for matchmaking. It will be needed. The "all mechs are special" argument for balancing won't last the first week of play time post launch (hell open beta).

Well, yeah. But by this logic, wouldn't it be the same thing as saying EVERYTHING remains to be seen? The community hasn't gotten our hands on it, and sure, once we do, we'll push the game to levels the devs might not have expected (which is great that they'll have feedback systems in place to balance the game post-launch), but for the time being, all we can really go on is what the devs are telling us.

Here's to hoping they can give each Mech a unique "I bring THIS to the battlefield". Otherwise there will be highly used chassis and kaputnicks. :rolleyes:

#20 Felicitatem Parco

Professor of Memetics

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 13,522 posts
  • LocationIs Being Obscured By ECM

Posted 14 May 2012 - 12:02 PM

Kaputnick - A devestating Frankenmech cobbeled together from parts of a King Crab, Catapult, NIghthawk, and Hunchback. Armed with twin AC/20s, a LRM 15, a Large Laser and an ER Large Laser, this brawler had a top speed of only 54kph but kept itself alive with 12 tons of Ferro Fibrous Armor.

Edited by Prosperity Park, 14 May 2012 - 12:02 PM.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users