51 replies to this topic

#1 ShadowDarter

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 442 posts
  • LocationSydney city Mechbay

Posted 10 December 2012 - 09:54 PM

Sorry if something like this has been posted before, but ive been thinking over this problem for a few days.

I also suspect that something like this is in the works but time can only tell though.

Seeing that a lot of four man teams are dropping at the moment, and a small few using the Sync dropping exploit, a idea it might improve the more team oriented players of MWO, and reduce the exploit usage.

The present matching system could be adjusted so that 2x4 man teams could either go up against a 1x8 man team, or another 2x8 teams, this could improve the waiting times for teams.

smaller teams could also be thrown in if the numbers are not available, this would hopefully reduce the sync dropping exploit, and allow for faster Team based games.

For single players it should be a opt in only, but there would be a fair few lone wolfs, more than willing to sign up im reasonable sure of.

Thanks

#2 Delvish

• PipPip
  • 26 posts

Posted 10 December 2012 - 09:57 PM

A ) It's not an "exploit" and it's very rare that a PUG team runs ever into one.
B ) PGI is pretty much incapable of making a matchmaking system so ... good luck with that.

Edited by Delvish, 10 December 2012 - 09:57 PM.

#3 Polarice

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 121 posts
  • LocationAustralia

Posted 10 December 2012 - 10:16 PM

Agreed, not an exploit.
Through phase one i did approx 20 odd sync drops with other 4 mans, twice we were on the same team, the rest of the time it was either against us or not even the same game.
Other experiences may vary, but twice from twenty is fairly long odds.

#4 Sean von Steinike

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 2,880 posts
  • LocationUSA

Posted 10 December 2012 - 10:19 PM

Not an exploit. Of course, the ones doing it on purpose are slime cowards with no skill. Their organizations should be branded as chickenshits only need apply.

#5 shintakie

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 886 posts

Posted 10 December 2012 - 10:25 PM

View PostSean von Steinike, on 10 December 2012 - 10:19 PM, said:

Not an exploit. Of course, the ones doing it on purpose are slime cowards with no skill. Their organizations should be branded as chickenshits only need apply.

View PostPolarice, on 10 December 2012 - 10:16 PM, said:

Agreed, not an exploit.
Through phase one i did approx 20 odd sync drops with other 4 mans, twice we were on the same team, the rest of the time it was either against us or not even the same game.

View PostDelvish, on 10 December 2012 - 09:57 PM, said:

A ) It's not an "exploit" and it's very rare that a PUG team runs ever into one.
B ) PGI is pretty much incapable of making a matchmaking system so ... good luck with that.

How is it not an exploit to purposely take an 8 man team and put it into the 4 man queue when there is a 8 player queue specifically designed for them?

#6 Vassago Rain

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bridesmaid
  • Bridesmaid
  • 14,396 posts
  • LocationExodus fleet, HMS Kong Circumflex accent

Posted 10 December 2012 - 10:33 PM

Terrible.
Fight like a man.

#7 Rifter

• 2,230 posts

Posted 10 December 2012 - 10:34 PM

View Postshintakie, on 10 December 2012 - 10:25 PM, said:

How is it not an exploit to purposely take an 8 man team and put it into the 4 man queue when there is a 8 player queue specifically designed for them?

Yeah this, it is for sure an expolit. They are deliberatly getting around game/MM mechanics by trying to fool the MM that pretty much textbook definition of exploit.

I agree with Sean that any organized clans/teams doing this are the lowest of the low and should be labled as such.

However i can see the point after dropping a few 8 mans last week that its not alot of fun right now unless you happen to want to drop in a Atlas DDC every game, 8 man drops = ECM online right now.

#8 ShadowDarter

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 442 posts
  • LocationSydney city Mechbay

Posted 10 December 2012 - 10:38 PM

An exploit, is the use of a bug or glitches, rates, hit boxes, or speed, etc. by a player to their advantage in a manner not intended by Developers of a game.

Sync dropping even though the odds of it working maybe slight is a exploit, as it is being used to provide a advantage over other players, and in my opion is a exploit.

#9 Ghogiel

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • CS 2021 Gold Champ
  • CS 2021 Gold Champ
  • 6,852 posts

Posted 10 December 2012 - 10:38 PM

View PostRifter, on 10 December 2012 - 10:34 PM, said:

Yeah this, it is for sure an expolit. They are deliberatly getting around game/MM mechanics by trying to fool the MM that pretty much textbook definition of exploit.

Except that someone on the staff said they don't mind that people sync drop.

#10 Lefty Lucy

• Bridesmaid
  • Bridesmaid
  • 3,924 posts
  • LocationFree Tikonov Republic

Posted 10 December 2012 - 10:41 PM

View PostPolarice, on 10 December 2012 - 10:16 PM, said:

Agreed, not an exploit.

You guys were bad at sync dropping then. Two teams of four, one with two lights and two mediums, one with two heavies and two assaults. Nearly guaranteed to be on the same side so you can show off your 1337 PUGstomping skills.

#11 shintakie

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 886 posts

Posted 10 December 2012 - 10:42 PM

View PostGhogiel, on 10 December 2012 - 10:38 PM, said:

Except that someone on the staff said they don't mind that people sync drop.

You are the second person to have said this. I have since gone back through the last 2 months of communications from every single person in the developer tracker and, unless I somehow missed it, no one has ever said this.

If you have a link to where this was ever said I'd be glad to correct myself. If you don't please stop spreadin false information.

#12 Lefty Lucy

• Bridesmaid
  • Bridesmaid
  • 3,924 posts
  • LocationFree Tikonov Republic

Posted 10 December 2012 - 10:47 PM

View Postshintakie, on 10 December 2012 - 10:42 PM, said:

You are the second person to have said this. I have since gone back through the last 2 months of communications from every single person in the developer tracker and, unless I somehow missed it, no one has ever said this.

If you have a link to where this was ever said I'd be glad to correct myself. If you don't please stop spreadin false information.

Basically, regardless of whether the devs have said it's an exploit that is punishable, you are still exploiting the quirks of weight-based match making to get around the 4-man limit to group size. That's an "exploit" by definition.

#13 De La Fresniere

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 622 posts

Posted 10 December 2012 - 10:52 PM

Matchmaking intends for 8-mans to never be sent against PuGs. 2x4 sync-dropping very clearly circumvents that by taking advantage of a vulnerability in the queue system.

It's an exploit alright, a very obvious one. In fact it's practically a textbook example of what exploitation is!

I'm sure they'll do something about it eventually, they've just got a lot of things to do and not many people to do it.

#14 shintakie

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 886 posts

Posted 10 December 2012 - 10:57 PM

Fully on topic though. The easiest way to fix queue syncin is to do what their original plan was for phase 2. Cap teams at 4 (already done) and 1 per side (not done yet). Done and done.

Queue syncin only works because the matchmaker is too stupid to not put 2 teams on the same side. Get rid of that issue and the only thing queue syncin can accomplish is allow you to face your friends with pugs on both sides (or be massive trolls, but that happens anyway and can be fixed by reportin said trolls).

#15 Ter Ushaka

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 600 posts
  • LocationGnomeregan, Dun Morogh

Posted 10 December 2012 - 10:59 PM

http://mwomercs.com/...ost__p__1391523
Dev Chris K stepped in about this last month, and stated they had no problems with this.

Edited by Ter Ushaka, 10 December 2012 - 10:59 PM.

#16 Ghogiel

• CS 2021 Gold Champ
  • CS 2021 Gold Champ
  • 6,852 posts

Posted 10 December 2012 - 11:01 PM

View Postshintakie, on 10 December 2012 - 10:42 PM, said:

It was an IGP employee not a dev. And one of the moderators quoted it at me when I too was skeptical.

http://mwomercs.com/...ost__p__1431764

and this was my response to that>
http://mwomercs.com/...ost__p__1431891

#17 shintakie

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 886 posts

Posted 10 December 2012 - 11:09 PM

View PostGhogiel, on 10 December 2012 - 11:01 PM, said:

It was an IGP employee not a dev. And one of the moderators quoted it at me when I too was skeptical.

http://mwomercs.com/...ost__p__1431764

and this was my response to that>
http://mwomercs.com/...ost__p__1431891

At this point I don't take much stock in what mods say. There've been enough ****storms caused by people contactin support and bein given completely wrong on every level information then comin to the forums to complain about that information which was wrong and bein told by a dev who happens across that thread that the information they were told by the mod was, in fact, wrong.

Unless I see it come from a dev I take it with a grain of salt.

#18 Ghogiel

• CS 2021 Gold Champ
  • CS 2021 Gold Champ
  • 6,852 posts

Posted 10 December 2012 - 11:13 PM

View Postshintakie, on 10 December 2012 - 11:09 PM, said:

Unless I see it come from a dev I take it with a grain of salt.

Same.
But until someone else says syncing in pugs is naughty, it's worth mentioning that info, it is in fact 'official', but also just in case a dev happens by and wants to properly set it straight.

#19 Vassago Rain

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bridesmaid
  • Bridesmaid
  • 14,396 posts
  • LocationExodus fleet, HMS Kong Circumflex accent

Posted 10 December 2012 - 11:18 PM

I guess it's too hard to LRMboat people who fight back.
Stay tacticool.

#20 Ricama

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 879 posts
  • LocationCanada

Posted 10 December 2012 - 11:39 PM

Or we could just have max 1 team per side, not sure how hard it is to implement but it would fix it once and for all. As for being an exploit, this is beta, unless it's on the list of things to fix or the list of 'exploit this and we ban you' it is not an exploit, it is an issue that needs to be acknowledged and addressed (either by putting it on the list or saying working as intended).

6 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 6 guests, 0 anonymous users