[GUIDE] Hardware Mythbusters - An In-Depth Hardware Guide

1329 replies to this topic

#1301 Vulpesveritas

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,003 posts
  • LocationWinsconsin, USA

Posted 25 January 2013 - 10:12 AM

Updated 1/25/2013. I apologize for the month delay.

#1302 Urisk

Rookie

• 8 posts

Posted 25 January 2013 - 09:37 PM

I will consider getting a new graphics card for the guest machine down the road. It won't be anything fancy, probably around the 150 dollar listings.

As for the FM2 socket getting -two- new lines of processors this year, I may wait and see what those are going to be. I was already impressed with the current FM2 stuff, if they are bringing out even better APUs for about the same price point I think it's in my best interest to take a look at AMDs roadmap. I had no idea new stuff was around the corner.

#1303 Youngblood

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 604 posts
  • LocationGMT -6

Posted 25 January 2013 - 09:51 PM

View PostUrisk, on 25 January 2013 - 09:37 PM, said:

I will consider getting a new graphics card for the guest machine down the road. It won't be anything fancy, probably around the 150 dollar listings.

As for the FM2 socket getting -two- new lines of processors this year, I may wait and see what those are going to be. I was already impressed with the current FM2 stuff, if they are bringing out even better APUs for about the same price point I think it's in my best interest to take a look at AMDs roadmap. I had no idea new stuff was around the corner.

Here ya go, see the top row:
Posted Image
Source: http://wccftech.com/...ler-cores-2013/

Edited by Youngblood, 25 January 2013 - 09:52 PM.

#1304 Anony Mouse

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 155 posts
  • LocationSabaku no Hana, Misery, Draconis Combine

Posted 27 January 2013 - 06:15 AM

View PostHerrmann van Hinden, on 19 November 2012 - 09:03 AM, said:

It would be great to collect some sort of "positive list" which configuration really worked with the game and to add this to the Initial posting, so we can see how they work together with MWO.

+1 This needs to happen, list what we've had successes with, how you got it to work, attach any config files etc etc.

#1305 Badconduct

Dezgra

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Knight Errant
  • 364 posts

Posted 27 January 2013 - 07:35 AM

View PostYes I Can, on 26 November 2012 - 06:40 AM, said:

I dug out an old Sidewinder Precision Pro (the version before the advent of USB) and wanted to use it with an old XP machine that still has a game port. The joystick was at first detected as it should be, and drivers installed. When I attepmted to calibrate it, it asked me to press some of the buttons, and then to move the rudder up and down. That did not quite seem to give the desired results (a blue bar supposed to empty or fill according to the movement of the stick jittered and was not really responsive to what I did), and then suddenly I received a popup message: "The device does not seem to be properly installed. Please check installation" or something to that effect. I deleted the stick and reinstalled several times, but the error persisted.
Would anyone have an idea what I could try to bring the joystick back to life?
Thanks!!!

It actually came with an adapter to put it into USB. It was a good Joystick. The latest Sidewinder drivers didn't support it either. You should be able to find legacy software online.

I have the Percision 2, but it would't function well with MWO.

Edited by Badconduct, 27 January 2013 - 07:35 AM.

#1306 Phoenix Gray

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • 615 posts
  • LocationTexas

Posted 27 January 2013 - 01:29 PM

Is there a patch to run an Intel ® Graphics Media Accelerator HD and play the game? If not, can anyone recommend a good graphics card compatible with a Sony Vaio laptop?

#1307 Sir Roland MXIII

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Spear
  • The Spear
  • 1,152 posts
  • LocationIdaho

Posted 27 January 2013 - 01:56 PM

Note that Richland is shipping now, and will be available June-ish. Kaveri will be later than that, if this year at all.

#1308 Urisk

Rookie

• 8 posts

Posted 27 January 2013 - 10:44 PM

Laptops are not really expandable, since almost everything is soldered onto the motherboard. I have seen some external graphic cards but at best are used to convert video signals to other formats.

I guess if you were a modder you could fabricate something for a laptop but that is a lot of trouble, and unfortunately requires tons of know how.

Intel intergrated graphics is not a really option for serious gaming. While you can run some things on it, it is not designed for anything even remotely intensive. Video cards are the most important part of any setup when it comes to gaming. Cpu is important too, but without a decent built in graphics card you aren't going to be doing much with that system.

Edited by Urisk, 27 January 2013 - 10:45 PM.

#1309 RWilliams

• Pip
  • 12 posts

Posted 01 February 2013 - 07:15 AM

Hi. I'm about to build a new computer and want to confirm something. Most of the graphics cards are PCIe 3.0, but the motherboards in my price range for the processor I want are all 2.0 That won't be an issue it sounds like, according to this article. Am I right in that? Thank you for this article, it was very interesting and informative.

#1310 Vulpesveritas

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,003 posts
  • LocationWinsconsin, USA

Posted 02 February 2013 - 01:38 AM

View PostRWilliams, on 01 February 2013 - 07:15 AM, said:

Hi. I'm about to build a new computer and want to confirm something. Most of the graphics cards are PCIe 3.0, but the motherboards in my price range for the processor I want are all 2.0 That won't be an issue it sounds like, according to this article. Am I right in that? Thank you for this article, it was very interesting and informative.

Quite correct, PCIe-2.0 slots are more than capable for current generation PCIe-3.0.

#1311 Glowhollow

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Moderate Giver
  • Moderate Giver
  • 126 posts

Posted 02 February 2013 - 04:18 AM

Hi, you should add, that the AMD FX Series are predestinated for Video Encoding.

#1312 Ghostrider0067

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Big Brother
  • Big Brother
  • 397 posts
  • Twitter: Link
  • LocationChandler, AZ, USA

Posted 02 February 2013 - 11:49 AM

View PostTheFlayedman, on 22 January 2013 - 11:29 AM, said:

Thanks, I think I will go for the R4. Im just waiting for a refund for the Corsair case now.

No worries. You'll be getting a great case for your build, that much is certain. Here's a little more info for you should you be interested as it relates to my case (Corsair 550D) and the Fractal R4:

http://www.tomshardw...o-m10,3356.html

#1313 Z3R0115

• PipPip
  • The Merciless
  • The Merciless
  • 23 posts

Posted 02 February 2013 - 09:01 PM

So I sort of skimmed and I don't see much but I just picked up a Satiek X52pro and I'm having a hell of a time to make the controls work right, I can't figure out how to invert my y axis and my throttle works but its backwards, so that needs to be inverted too. I'm kind of a newb in this area lol if someone has any suggestions?

#1314 urmamasllama

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 228 posts

Posted 04 February 2013 - 01:31 PM

there is only one hotas with pedals? i am so very sad face right now especially that price point i was hoping for the $150 range

#1315 F lan Ker

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 827 posts
  • LocationArctic Circle

Posted 05 February 2013 - 06:47 PM

S!

Some cheaper HOTAS setups have twist for rudder and similar, so no need for extra pedals. The more pricey ones do require a set of pedals or you can map buttons for left/right turning. I am using Thrustmaster Warthog HOTAS + CH ProPedals to play, works fine and would be better if we had proper input support.

#1316 Jetus

Rookie

• 3 posts

Posted 05 February 2013 - 09:36 PM

I have an x-box 360 controller but it does not control proper within game. SO disappointing and I am up to several troubleshoots that don't work. I tried using Xpadder to emulate keyboard and mouse but MechWarrior throws something in to prevent control or maybe from harvesting XP. Not sure not so schooled at games yet. If the developers could add joystick support I think that would be worth something now would it???

#1317 Hakkukakt

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 264 posts
  • LocationSuisse / Lausanne

Posted 06 February 2013 - 02:27 PM

hello

Thrusmaster Hotas Warthog + Saitek Combat Pro Rubber Pedal

i think to have pedal is more comfortable and intuitive ...

work fine :D

Edited by Hakkukakt, 06 February 2013 - 02:30 PM.

#1318 Neon Cyber

Rookie

• 6 posts

Posted 06 February 2013 - 10:01 PM

I currently have a Hotas X

every control on the stick is re-assignable. It's built into the firmware of the stick so no need for extra software. only two custom presets available though. one for each mode (3 or 4 axis mode)

it has a 3 axis and a 4 axis mode. when the 3 axis mode is set the 'twisty' stick and rudder are the same axis. in 4 axis mode the rudder is separate from the twist stick.

The bottom of the flight stick has a twist knob which adjusts the tension.

Minimal slop unless you adjust the tension way down.

The stick and throttle are stuck together with Alan screws. There is an included wrench on the bottom of the stick and wiring channels to separate the two.

works on the PS3... Kinda cool.

I'm a KB/Mouse player so i'm not getting much use out of it on MWO but it's great for Jane's flight sims and such.

#1319 GetinmyBellah

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 278 posts
  • LocationWest Palm Beach, USA

Posted 08 February 2013 - 05:25 AM

My favorite top end and nearly year old to date, w/out a single issue to date, is the ASUS Sabertooth Z77 TUF Mainboard!

Newegg
http://www.newegg.co...N82E16813131821

Posted Image

Addendum: apologies for the less than desirable image.

Edited by Vegentius, 08 February 2013 - 05:26 AM.

#1320 deejayburnout

Rookie

• 9 posts
  • LocationScotland

Posted 09 February 2013 - 07:48 AM

good to see the stated specs for my 7850 are around what i am getting.

Now to overclock

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users