[GUIDE] Hardware Mythbusters - An In-Depth Hardware Guide

1329 replies to this topic

#1281 Flapdrol

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The 1 Percent
  • The 1 Percent
  • 1,986 posts

Posted 16 January 2013 - 03:04 PM

Problem with these "general guides" is you need a huge safety margin to make it always be valid.

A system with an ivy bridge quad and a hd7850 counts as a "normal gaming rig" for me, should easily go with any A-brand psu, even low wattage ones like the seasonic G-series 360W.

still a lot better than the online psu calculators though.

#1282 TheFlayedman

• PipPipPip
  • Survivor
  • 76 posts

Posted 18 January 2013 - 12:31 PM

What do you think of the Fractal Design Arc Midi? It's one of the very few cases that will fit under my desk and fit big cpu coolers. I looked at the R4 it looks pretty nice but I don't think it has enough cleaqrance for my heatsink.

Pretty much all the cases nowadays seem to be too big, is it so theres room for watercooling? as I dont think components have got much bigger except maybe high end heatsinks.

#1283 Youngblood

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 604 posts
  • LocationGMT -6

Posted 19 January 2013 - 03:24 AM

View PostTheFlayedman, on 18 January 2013 - 12:31 PM, said:

What do you think of the Fractal Design Arc Midi? It's one of the very few cases that will fit under my desk and fit big cpu coolers. I looked at the R4 it looks pretty nice but I don't think it has enough cleaqrance for my heatsink.

Pretty much all the cases nowadays seem to be too big, is it so theres room for watercooling? as I dont think components have got much bigger except maybe high end heatsinks.

I have its little brother, the Arc Mini, which is just a shortened version of the Midi. There is plenty of space for large tower coolers, or if you are crazy like me, an H100 radiator in push/pull configuration. Removable hard drive rack and extra places for more fans are a big plus if you're concerned about airflow.

Edited by Youngblood, 19 January 2013 - 03:26 AM.

#1284 peter5on

Rookie

• 1 posts

Posted 20 January 2013 - 08:04 AM

Does that mean i have bottleneck in CPU or fault of the game optimization?

1. Run game.

2. Waiting players to connect.
60 fps, 50% CPU use, 98% GPU use

3. Countdown begins.

4. Game starts, everybody starts moving around and rapidly i have:
40-50 FPS, 50% CPU, 50% GPU

5. Game ends and every mech stops moving.

FPS raise about 10-20 FPS, 50% CPU, 98% GPU

My setup:

Vishera 8350 + gtx 660

#1285 Youngblood

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 604 posts
  • LocationGMT -6

Posted 20 January 2013 - 09:05 AM

View Postpeter5on, on 20 January 2013 - 08:04 AM, said:

Does that mean i have bottleneck in CPU or fault of the game optimization?

1. Run game.

2. Waiting players to connect.
60 fps, 50% CPU use, 98% GPU use

3. Countdown begins.

4. Game starts, everybody starts moving around and rapidly i have:
40-50 FPS, 50% CPU, 50% GPU

5. Game ends and every mech stops moving.

FPS raise about 10-20 FPS, 50% CPU, 98% GPU

My setup:

Vishera 8350 + gtx 660

Weeeeeell it's about 50% of the former and 98% of the latter.

Keep waiting for DirectX 11 implementation.

#1286 Sir Roland MXIII

• The Spear
  • The Spear
  • 1,152 posts
  • LocationIdaho

Posted 20 January 2013 - 07:50 PM

View PostDV McKenna, on 04 January 2013 - 03:20 AM, said:

720P is fine, it gives us a rough idea.

Had to re-sign my lease, so the test will have to wait until March, or I sell some art to get that GPU, whichever happens first.

#1287 Gaulwa

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Little Helper
  • Little Helper
  • 139 posts

Posted 21 January 2013 - 12:53 PM

Thank you!

Here, you deserve this one:

http://www.albinobla.../flash/thankyou

Enjoy.

Edited by Gaulwa, 21 January 2013 - 12:57 PM.

#1288 Ghostrider0067

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Big Brother
  • Big Brother
  • 397 posts
  • Twitter: Link
  • LocationChandler, AZ, USA

Posted 21 January 2013 - 11:44 PM

View PostTheFlayedman, on 18 January 2013 - 12:31 PM, said:

What do you think of the Fractal Design Arc Midi?

For the most part, each Fractal Design case is great. if you've got a size restriction due to where you're placing your case, the Midi or even the Mini might work out for you. If you can fit the R4, it's what I'd take if I had to choose between the three and cost being no object.

Check their site for what fits both your budget and limitations:

http://www.fractal-d...ategory=2&prod=

#1289 Flapdrol

• The 1 Percent
  • The 1 Percent
  • 1,986 posts

Posted 22 January 2013 - 06:13 AM

This game is very much cpu limited in the big brawls. Settings have no effect on minimum fps, only thing that seems to help is per-core performance. So if you want high fps all the time get a 3570K.

#1290 TheFlayedman

• PipPipPip
  • Survivor
  • 76 posts

Posted 22 January 2013 - 11:29 AM

Thanks, I think I will go for the R4. Im just waiting for a refund for the Corsair case now.

#1291 PixieDust

• PipPip
  • 44 posts

Posted 23 January 2013 - 04:57 PM

View PostDocBach, on 05 January 2013 - 11:59 PM, said:

Posted Image

not only is it more aesthetically pleasing, the mem controller could handle all 32GB of my G.Skill Sniper 1866mhz RAM whereas the GD55 would freak out over anything more than 16.

looks very nice!! and the colors are wonderful ^^ .. the touch of red was nice too ;)

#1292 Mr B

• PipPipPip
  • 64 posts
  • LocationSweden

Posted 23 January 2013 - 05:34 PM

I'm not going to get in to the whole Intel vs AMD thingy, it's not really that relevant.

Myth 8: Single rail vs Multi-rail PSU-

Johnnyguru did a great bit on this;

Perhaps a great writeup, but it completely ignores the fact that some dual socket motherboards for one reason or another only use one phase to power the CPU's. It means your left with a really rare situation where your PSU really has to be a single phase beast to manage to provide the juice needed. Since dual socket CPU motherboards are fairly rare in the hands of gamers these days, and most of them do follow the EPS12V or higher specs, it's not likely to ever happen. And even if it does, issues rarely show their head until you try for a overclock, at which point your simply asking the PSU for to much, and your system shuts down, one way or another.

It's not exactly a new issue, and seeing as dual sockets for CPU's are next to extinct in the gaming community, it's not likely to happen to anyone. But i still have my joy and pride, a PC-DL with a pair of 1.6LV's @3.2GHz., with a 7800GT GFX. That sucker wont boot at anything but stock speeds with a dual rail PSU. It's not that useful anymore, but i don't let that stop me. (My i5 is far from top-end today, and still a lot faster then the old rig, even as it's coupled with yet again outdated hardware, a HD3870...But i keep it around for kicks and laughs.) For me the solution was a Tagan 630w PSU. The switch on the back is for selecting single, or dual rail configuration, and in single rail configuration it pushes the system along quite nicely.

Just thought it should be said. It doesn't really change much in the event someone uses the guide for their own personal shopping, but there are circumstances in which it makes a difference.
B!

#1293 Mr B

• PipPipPip
  • 64 posts
  • LocationSweden

Posted 23 January 2013 - 05:45 PM

I get a funny result from the "test"

Yes! Your system meets the minimum requirements for Mechwarrior Online.
It should run on your computer, but you may have to play at a low resolution and/or turn down visual settings for acceptable performance. To improve the experience, note that...<p class="resultText">
  • The overall performance of your processor and video card is below the recommended requirements.
  • The performance of your video card is below the recommended requirements.

The funny stuff is in the details, where they have the recommended, and minimum specs:

Recommended
Specifications

ATI Radeon HD 5830

Intel Core i5-2500 (3.3 GHz)

8192 MB

Minimum
Specifications

ATI Radeon HD 5600

Intel Core 2 Duo E6750 (2.66 GHz)

4096 MB

Your System
Specifications

ATI Radeon HD 3870 X2

Intel Core i5-2500K Processor

8192 MB

My guess. They just haven't included the K version CPU's in their list for one reason or another. Either way, just thought i'd point out a strange behavior with the test. I didn't bother reporting it back to them even, it's really not an issue.
B!

#1294 Mr B

• PipPipPip
  • 64 posts
  • LocationSweden

Posted 23 January 2013 - 06:27 PM

View PostThomas Hogarth, on 11 June 2012 - 05:22 PM, said:

SAITEK
Posted Image

Saitek has been around awhile, but they really made waves with the Cyborg 3D, released almost - what - 15 years ago? I loved the hell out of that joystick, back when USB was new. Metal where it needed to be, and incredibly customizable. There was an allen wrench built right into the thing. Pop it out, and you could move the handrest up and down, adjust the side-to-side tilt of the thumb controls... Hell, all sorts of crazy stuff. Saitek made a big impression on me and other flight simmers of the day with that product. It proved that value-priced joysticks could be pretty competitive with more expensive sticks. The major downside of the Cyborg was its spring-and-plate centering system. This resulted in a huge center detent that made center-area accuracy abysmal.
The years have not been kind to Saitek. In the years following the Cyborg, quality and frequency of great design choices seemed to slowly drop. The developments of the Cyborg didn't seem to improve anything. Anyone remember the Cyborg Gold? Everything you loved about the Cyborg 3D, now with a harder-to-clean finish!
I got the Cyborg 3D USB. Rubbery texture on the grip, i cant remember if the "original" had that, but other then that it's identical. Bought it to play... Mechwarrios. Mechwarriors 2 Mercenaries to be specific. Bought it late 96, or early 97, which makes my stick at least 16 years old by now. Do i have to add that i still haven't replaced it, and that it's still my first choice? It sucks that there is no software to program it with anymore, Saitek dropped support well before XP was introduced, never-mind Vista/Win7/8. The main thing i wish it had is a dead center adjust, for the twist. I could tear down the stick, but for now it's ever so slightly of, and defaults to far to the right after having twisted right. Cant seam to get it to go away with the calibration, so i need a slight deadzone...

View PostValhakar, on 26 June 2012 - 01:44 PM, said:

I have an MX5500 Keyboard/mouse combo. The mouse's battery is built in and was getting a little short on the charge it would keep. Most people would not have even bothered. 2 emails and a phone call I had a new mouse and a return label for my old one.
+1 for this. I got the same combo. They had a "issue" with the early versions of the mouse not charging properly, and it had to be reseated over and over in the charger until it "took" and would charge properly. My combo was almost 2 years old when it pretty much gave up on charging altogether, it could be 20 mins of fiddling to get it started. NOT bought directly from them, but a more local retailer. A couple of emails back and fourth, and they asked for my email. They shipped out a new combo, and told me to keep / throw the old stuff as i pleased. Oddly enough the new charger has a slight change in design, and it charged the old mouse just fine, where as the old charger (so far) charges the new mouse just fine... Emailed em saying as it was, both kit's now work just fine, and they told me to go ahead and use em. I was expecting a returnslip, or something...

View PostAethon, on 30 June 2012 - 12:20 AM, said:

A quick question: on a plate-and-spring joystick, would lubricating the contact areas between the plate and its center rest, as well as the contact area between the plate and the shaft, help to kill the spring-and-plate feel?
It would help, in the short term, but as soon as it picks up dust it's going to start acting as grit, and tear in to the plate. Don't do it, generally it's a good way to ruin a stick.

View PostCJF Ronin, on 10 July 2012 - 12:17 PM, said:

lol my stick is 10 years old............guess i better run out for a new one
Don't. stick with it, if you like it.

It's to darn sad this is still not a stick friendly game... "This is not your average FPS shooter" they said. "This is a mech simulator" they said.
Bah. Twitch mouse gaming beats stick hands down and thats just not the way Mechwarriors is supposed to be played. Until they fix it, me, and my stick will stay the heck away from this game...
B!

#1295 eshe98

Rookie

• 1 posts

Posted 23 January 2013 - 07:03 PM

I have a thrustmaster t.flightstick x, brand new but I cant seem to find any information on being able to configure it for mwo. I miss tyhe old programing options in a sofware form so I could program the buttons to what I wanted. Doesnt seem to be an option in mwo to be able to configure a joystick neither so I am at a loss and TM doesnt want to answer mw e mails. All I get under control panel device tflight x is a way to test that the buttons work but no way to map them where I want them and the axis are all messed up. Any help here would be greatly appreciated.

#1296 Flapdrol

• The 1 Percent
  • The 1 Percent
  • 1,986 posts

Posted 24 January 2013 - 11:54 AM

Should the i5-3350p be on the list at the $180 pricepoint?

#1297 Vulpesveritas

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,003 posts
  • LocationWinsconsin, USA

Posted 24 January 2013 - 12:34 PM

View PostFlapdrol, on 24 January 2013 - 11:54 AM, said:

Should the i5-3350p be on the list at the $180 pricepoint?

It's not a $25 increment, and i'd rather not alter the tiers for one single CPU which is priced at a slightly odd value.

#1298 Urisk

Rookie

• 8 posts

Posted 24 January 2013 - 10:31 PM

I have a FX-8350 based machine, so far I am pretty happy with it. I am going to buy some FM2 parts in a couple months for a budget lan party computer at my apartment(When friends stop by and want to game.) I wasn't interested at all in the previous generation of APUs but Trinity has caught my eye and has got me thinking. It looks like a good candidate for a low cost all purpose gaming machine. Low enough TDP so it doesn't kill my power bill ethier.

Would a A8-5600k have enough muscle to last a couple years, running with a 550ti graphics card @ 720p?

#1299 Flapdrol

• The 1 Percent
  • The 1 Percent
  • 1,986 posts

Posted 25 January 2013 - 05:21 AM

View PostVulpesveritas, on 24 January 2013 - 12:34 PM, said:

It's not a $25 increment, and i'd rather not alter the tiers for one single CPU which is priced at a slightly odd value.

That makes sense I guess, still unfortunate that the intel cpu's which are the best deal for gaming (3350p, 3570K) are not in the list. 3350p has no gpu in it, that's probably why it's cheaper.

3570 links to a discontinued 3550 btw.

#1300 Youngblood

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 604 posts
  • LocationGMT -6

Posted 25 January 2013 - 05:26 AM

View PostUrisk, on 24 January 2013 - 10:31 PM, said:

I have a FX-8350 based machine, so far I am pretty happy with it. I am going to buy some FM2 parts in a couple months for a budget lan party computer at my apartment(When friends stop by and want to game.) I wasn't interested at all in the previous generation of APUs but Trinity has caught my eye and has got me thinking. It looks like a good candidate for a low cost all purpose gaming machine. Low enough TDP so it doesn't kill my power bill ethier.

Would a A8-5600k have enough muscle to last a couple years, running with a 550ti graphics card @ 720p?

I actually can't answer you directly since I experience with neither APUs nor recent nVidia cards, but I can tell you that a.) getting the FM2 parts is a good choice, since AMD is expected to stick with it for quite a while still, and b.) the A8-5600K won't have the same staying power as the motherboard you'd be planning to stick it on. The game's still getting there in the ways of optimization (read as: CPU-bound), and AMD already plans on pushing out -two- new generations of APUs on FM2 this year--the second one being boasted as MUCH faster (that's not in quotes for a reason). As for the card, you might do a little better by at least getting something from the 6-series, 660s can at least attempt adequate frames according to the charts.

2 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users