149 replies to this topic

#1 Xuvios

• PipPipPip
  • The Scythe
  • The Scythe
  • 83 posts
  • Locationstuck in the middle

Posted 18 May 2012 - 01:03 AM

completely happy we get a full year without any clans or clan tech or any other bubbly nonsense to make it less gritty and fulfilling

every single post i see that is clan this clan that, and the atrocious devotion to mech's that make it easy... i want to puke rivets and rainbows

i want a full year of robot destroying glee and for each of those battles to be hard fought and scrappy...

and a year from now i fully expect the Dev's to path the game, and start interfering in our matches with Mech's that just completely dominate us... and i want that pattern to continue for a month or two... i want to feel the desperation of trying to deal with them....

then the clan invasion will happen and everyone will be puking rainbows made from double heatsinks, ER lasers, Ultra A/Cs, Endo steel, FF armor, retching up the same old experience that made me turn off MW:2,3, and 4

so... is anyone else glad that we get to have the IS for year, that we got to tough it out in subpar machinery thats been slugging it out for 3 or 4 centuries...

or am i the only one?

#2 StandingCow

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 3,069 posts
  • LocationUSA

Posted 18 May 2012 - 01:04 AM

You know what... I am just happy we are getting a new MW from a group of devs that really seem to get it and love the franchise. It will be cool though that we are starting with the IS only.

#3 Xuvios

• PipPipPip
  • The Scythe
  • The Scythe
  • 83 posts

Posted 18 May 2012 - 01:20 AM

don't get me wrong, i absolutely love that the game is in the works and will be sooner rather than later...

but i'm a crusty nearly middle aged purist

when i started off with battletech there were no clans... it was just IS

and a few years later the clans came along and it was a bunch of enemies you just wanted to continue to struggle against and finally get that barely getting by win for the gratification...

#4 Tincan Nightmare

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 1,069 posts

Posted 18 May 2012 - 01:27 AM

I wouldn't have minded if they started it right before the Fourth Sucession War. That would have been one big fun fight to get all entangled in. Then 'skip' a little and give us the War of 3039, then give us the Clan Invasion. God that would be Mech heaven right there :).

#5 FrostPaw

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 946 posts
  • LocationUnited Kingdom

Posted 18 May 2012 - 01:36 AM

You know I hold a special place in my heart for thread topics that say nothing about the topic. You must be a webdesigner that thinks page views count.

#6 Owl Cutter

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 160 posts

Posted 18 May 2012 - 01:40 AM

Yes! I wish it could be more. I am probably not going to be in on the fun until a while after launch, if ever, so I hope the game succeeds well enough to justify running TWO timelines, one of which is for Spheroid players who want to ignore Clan tech and the way it makes numerical and/or tonnage disparity almost required for any semblance of a fair fight. Most of the time, fracturing a community is a bad thing, but in the case of incompatible approaches to a game... Just like how people get polarised over real-world politics and see every one as either "one of us" or perfectly conforming to an absurd straw-man caricature, I have a hard time resisting trolling the "serious business" crowd that RPs in a non-RP space.

#7 Howling Mad Murdock

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 254 posts
  • LocationPlanet Sian....but sometimes Essex, UK

Posted 18 May 2012 - 01:40 AM

Yes I am glad that their are no Clan Mechs yet, if they are introduced later then great but stick to the timeline.

#8 Aethon

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Mercenary
  • 2,037 posts
  • LocationSt. Louis, Niles, Kerensky Cluster

Posted 18 May 2012 - 01:42 AM

Some of us grew up with the Clan point of view; I never knew what the "IS" in front of certain mech names meant in Ghost Bear's Legacy until I did some reading in the holotank archive in the Clan Hall. I was too young to realize Terra meant Earth, so it took me a while to make the connections, and figure out exactly what the IS was. My first REAL exposure to the IS came with MechWarrior 2: Mercenaries, and painted a rather gritty, capitalistic dystopian picture for me. It was an excellent game, of course, but the IS is the new thing to me, not the Clans.

However, ever since MW2: Mercs, we've been stuck playing as warriors in house/merc units, with the Clans playing the role of NPC boogeymen that drop epic loot/mounts when they die. They've gone from humans fighting for something they believe in or fighting for survival (as with the Inner Sphere powers) to maniacal, evil, invaders from outer space. To say it's become silly and childish would be a gross understatement. The developers (MS, mostly) didn't even view the Clans separately anymore; it's just Clan = evil. For an idea as to how different one Clan can be from another, whip out your sourcebooks (or go to www.sarna.net) and read up on Clan Hell's Horses and Clan Smoke Jaguar sometime.

Long story short: I'm really looking forward to reprising the role of a Clan warrior again, but I'll still enjoy my 'working vacation' in the Inner Sphere while I wait. :)

#9 Kezran Vrass

• PipPip
  • 43 posts
  • Locationscotland

Posted 18 May 2012 - 01:55 AM

yup wish thier was longer before clan tech get here as im pretty sure most of the clan player will just be thier for better toys

#10 Owl Cutter

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 160 posts

Posted 18 May 2012 - 02:06 AM

View PostXuvios, on 18 May 2012 - 01:20 AM, said:

don't get me wrong, i absolutely love that the game is in the works and will be sooner rather than later...

but i'm a crusty nearly middle aged purist

when i started off with battletech there were no clans... it was just IS

and a few years later the clans came along and it was a bunch of enemies you just wanted to continue to struggle against and finally get that barely getting by win for the gratification...
In my case, MW2 was my introduction to the BT world, and I was maybe tennish years old at the time. The more I learned about the Clans, the harder it became for me to take them seriously; they were designed from the ground up to be antagonists, and it sure shows; I think FASA was far too excessive there. I understand the drive to have mustache-twirling antagonists, even if I personally prefer my fictional politics to NOT be black-and-white, but IMO the WoB is a much better implementation than the Clans, though I know little about these new black hats and suspect my opinion would change if I got to know more. My capacity for "suspending disbelief" can handle an ideological movement accepting war as a fundamental human drive rather than an epiphenomenon of our circumstances. It can also handle going from there to trying to contain and refine the art toward the goal of minimising carnage and destruction, particularly for noncombatants and the infrastructure of their world. It can also handle the Crusader movement deciding that the arrogant, incessantly warring barbarians need to be conquered for their own good so they stop trying to conquer each other for their own good. There's historical precedent for all of that. Where it breaks down for me is where this conquest is supposed to help restore the glory of the [mostly] non-civil-warring Star League by teaching us the wisdom to understand that war is a fundamental human drive that can only be contained and minimised by ritualised warfare within the perfect society. Much like the Heavy Gauss Rifle, I just substitute the offending parts with my own explanations since IMO canon is only worth respecting so far as it supports enjoyment of the fiction and/or game.

#11 Xuvios

• PipPipPip
  • The Scythe
  • The Scythe
  • 83 posts

Posted 18 May 2012 - 02:19 AM

View PostKezran Vrass, on 18 May 2012 - 01:55 AM, said:

yup wish thier was longer before clan tech get here as im pretty sure most of the clan player will just be thier for better toys

sadly thats the way i feel about it... its the way i felt about all the other mechwarrior games..

i wish the timeline was earlier and the only sniff at clanner is Wolf's Dragoons...

while i like the over arching storyline of the clans (going back to kerensky's exodus) i hate that people are go gaga for it... and they were introduced into the storyline to be the badguys, to be the common enemy that unites the successor houses

it remained that way for a good while... then the concept of Wardens/Crusaders (eek i don't know if thats right, but too lazy to make sure) was introduced and everyone's darling Wolf Clan made it acceptable to like the clans, then the ghost bears and a couple others...

when the clans ceased to be a common uniform enemy and became another multitude of adversarial components, they just became the strangers with the cooler toys

#12 LordKnightFandragon

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,239 posts

Posted 18 May 2012 - 02:24 AM

Am I happy to be driving around in Innersphere garbage? with innersphere crap weapon systems? not really...CLanner gear really did spoil me and in games i just CANT force myself to use IS stuff...it just plain simply isworse, there is no question about it...

However, it will be neat to see just how hopelessly outclassed the IS really was, with us all using IS stuff then for the first time ever encountering the Clans for the first time.....it will be....amusing? to say the least.

However, the Clanner honor system...ugh, I could never play by that...I just like Clanners for thier neat gadgets, weapons and awesome mech designs....

Edited by LordKnightFandragon, 18 May 2012 - 02:25 AM.

#13 Xuvios

• PipPipPip
  • The Scythe
  • The Scythe
  • 83 posts

Posted 18 May 2012 - 02:24 AM

i do like the move to WoB as pure antagonists. the thing is, are they dastardly enough to make people not want to be them and have their stuff?

#14 Xuvios

• PipPipPip
  • The Scythe
  • The Scythe
  • 83 posts

Posted 18 May 2012 - 02:29 AM

View PostLordKnightFandragon, on 18 May 2012 - 02:24 AM, said:

Am I happy to be driving around in Innersphere garbage? with innersphere crap weapon systems? not really...CLanner gear really did spoil me and in games i just CANT force myself to use IS stuff...it just plain simply isworse, there is no question about it...

However, it will be neat to see just how hopelessly outclassed the IS really was, with us all using IS stuff then for the first time ever encountering the Clans for the first time.....it will be....amusing? to say the least.

it will be, and i hope the dev's hold it back and torment us all with that technology by keeping out of reach for as long as it was the beacon of impending doom for the innersphere

but i do fear the day when i connect to the game and all there is are Mad Cats running around.. kinda snuffs out the mystique of them when its all people want to use

#15 Hipjoint

Rookie

• 3 posts
  • LocationLower right corner of the mitten

Posted 18 May 2012 - 02:41 AM

View PostLordKnightFandragon, on 18 May 2012 - 02:24 AM, said:

However, the Clanner honor system...ugh, I could never play by that...I just like Clanners for thier neat gadgets, weapons and awesome mech designs....

It is this exact line of thought that and the Devs lack of contorling it, that has single handly killed every Mech Warrior and Battle Tech game. Unless the Devs can force players to "play" clan if not then the clans are unbalanced and almost unbeatable.

I for one welcome the short time we will have with out Clan tech.

#16 Redshift2k5

Welcoming Committee

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Stone Cold
  • Stone Cold
  • 11,975 posts
  • LocationNewfoundland

Posted 18 May 2012 - 02:55 AM

I would've been thrilled if had game had been set in 3030 and was solely based on Inner Sphere vs Inner Sphere. But, they chose 3049, and I have to give them the benefit of the doubt they have already sketched out their plan for 3050, and I trust it will be handled in a way that is fair and fun.

#17 Thorn Hallis

• 5,902 posts
  • LocationUnited States of Paranoia

Posted 18 May 2012 - 03:06 AM

I guess we will allready run around with Level 2 tech way before the Clans show up.

#18 Xaks

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 653 posts
  • LocationFlorida-ish

Posted 18 May 2012 - 03:38 AM

Crusty old purist is a good way to put it.

I kinda fell off the updated-bandwagon post-Tukayyid, storyline-wise. Maybe 3060-3062ish. The sabre-rattling was starting again and it looked like the beginning of Succession War 5: Hyperpulse Boogagloo. Word of Blake had split off from Comstar, etc.

From there it went...well, where ever it went. I ended up changing careers and moving cross-country and whatnot. So I was in it up to my eyeballs to there. After that, I'm dark.

This'll definately be a good place to re-start for me. It's still 'current' in my minds' timeline and I'll see it as it unfolds.

Edited by Xaks, 18 May 2012 - 03:39 AM.

#19 WraithTR1

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Knight Errant
  • Knight Errant
  • 142 posts

Posted 18 May 2012 - 04:09 AM

I'm glad there is a new Mechwarrior game coming out and I agree with a lot of the old timers that it would be fun to do the various conflicts between Houses pre Clan Invasion, as that's what I cut my teeth on when I started playing. I really would have liked to fight during the Fourth Succession War or War of 3039. I think a war during the tale end of the 1st or beginning of the 2nd Succession War would have been cool. The Clan Invasion though was probably chosen to reach the largest group of people as that's what most people are familiar with.

Who thinks it would be cool is if during the middle of a match these mysterious new mechs would drop in and start blasting away at both sides?

#20 DaZur

• Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 7,511 posts
  • LocationWisconsin

Posted 18 May 2012 - 04:13 AM

I'm happy for an entirely different reason...

I honestly am / will enjoy the fact that we have something to look forward to much further down the road. If you are like me... you buy a game dive into it and have it mastered in short order, leaving you to essentially wonder "Where's the beef?" :)

With the F2P model and what I anticipate will be incremental release of new game assets... MW:O has the potential of feeling like a "new game" months if not years after it's initial release!

Edited by DaZur, 18 May 2012 - 04:44 AM.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users