#202 MavRCK

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 1,375 posts
  • Google+: Link
  • LocationMontreal - Vancouver

Posted 21 December 2012 - 10:24 AM

Thumbs up to the art department / designers at PGI, that Orion is sexy! :)

#203 Vtack

• PipPipPip
  • 74 posts

Posted 21 December 2012 - 11:05 AM

well done PG. can't wait to get that sucker in game. Might even purchase the inevitable hero version.

#204 Jason1138

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 800 posts
  • LocationGeorgia, USA

Posted 21 December 2012 - 12:59 PM

View PostMavRCK, on 21 December 2012 - 10:24 AM, said:

Thumbs up to the art department / designers at PGI, that Orion is sexy! :)

whoever designs the look of these mechs is the best thing about PGI. Not a bad looking mech in the bunch so far. if only the guys who handle gameplay were as good at their jobs

#205 Douche

Dezgra

• 3 posts

Posted 21 December 2012 - 04:24 PM

This is one of my all-time favorite mechs since MW3. I am extremely disappointed with its looks here. It's missing its iconic curved cockpit glass and missile-pod left arm. I've liked all the art up until now.

This is more what I was hoping it would look like:

http://www.mechwarri...nakettu_110.jpg

Edited by Douche, 21 December 2012 - 04:27 PM.

#206 Grey Ghost

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 661 posts

Posted 21 December 2012 - 08:17 PM

View PostDouche, on 21 December 2012 - 04:24 PM, said:

This is one of my all-time favorite mechs since MW3. I am extremely disappointed with its looks here. It's missing its iconic curved cockpit glass and missile-pod left arm. I've liked all the art up until now.

This is more what I was hoping it would look like:

http://www.mechwarri...nakettu_110.jpg

Well geez, now that I've seen that I tend to agree. That's a thing of beauty, I applaud whoever did that! I don't recognize that specific load-out though. EDIT: Oh wait, that would be the statistical representation of the ON1-M I guess. My mind is permanently warped by the art in the first edition 3050 Technical Readout (PIC), which was really just a nicer version of the ON1-K from the 3025 one (PIC).

EDIT: Found another by the same guy I think, in case anyone was interested.

MWO Version :
Would certainly be nice if it was a bit closer in looks to some of the earlier TRO artwork (3025 & 3050 original), and with the arm srm instead of torso (stats be damned, I liked the art). Also out of all the wildly varied artwork for this Mech, one thing was always consistent. That thing being the shape of the cockpit, which this new one totally disregards it seems.

Honestly the more I look at this MWO version, the less it actually looks like an Orion. EDIT: Scratch that, really it's just the shape of the new cockpit which is making it seem very un-Orion like. The rest is pretty spot on besides the whole torso/arm srm quibble. I hope they reconsider that part of the design (cockpit), but I'm guessing it's locked in now. :rolleyes:

Edited by Grey Ghost, 21 December 2012 - 09:16 PM.

#207 Adridos

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bridesmaid
  • 10,635 posts
  • LocationHiding in a cake, left in green city called New A... something.

Posted 22 December 2012 - 06:06 AM

View PostGrey Ghost, on 21 December 2012 - 08:17 PM, said:

Scratch that, really it's just the shape of the new cockpit which is making it seem very un-Orion like. The rest is pretty spot on besides the whole torso/arm srm quibble. I hope they reconsider that part of the design (cockpit), but I'm guessing it's locked in now. :)

You'll have to see the actual variant with LRM in the arm. The artwork had a poblem with wrong placement of weapons.

Punakettu doesn't have to fix that. PGI, on the other hand, must do so.

Edited by Adridos, 22 December 2012 - 06:07 AM.

#208 Murphy7

• Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 1,553 posts
  • LocationAttleboro, MA

Posted 22 December 2012 - 07:02 AM

View PostOdanan, on 19 December 2012 - 06:05 PM, said:

The primary Orion is indeed a downgraded Atlas. But there are lot of variants, some with missiles+lasers in the arms. Also, the better speed should make it a good brawling opponent for the Atlas.

PS: I hope the cockpit hitbox is not too large beacuse this mech i's supposed to be good at taking damage.

I thought it was the other way around, the Atlas is an upgraded Orion, and that aspect of the Atlas is a reflection of Kerensky's involvement in the design?

Right there with you concerning the cockpit design.

#209 Odanan

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 8,205 posts
  • LocationBrazil

Posted 22 December 2012 - 09:43 AM

View PostGrey Ghost, on 21 December 2012 - 08:17 PM, said:

EDIT: Found another by the same guy I think, in case anyone was interested.

You mean the creepy robotic rabbit with a deformed hand? :lol:

#210 Odanan

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 8,205 posts
  • LocationBrazil

Posted 22 December 2012 - 10:15 AM

View PostMurphy7, on 22 December 2012 - 07:02 AM, said:

I thought it was the other way around, the Atlas is an upgraded Orion, and that aspect of the Atlas is a reflection of Kerensky's involvement in the design?

Right there with you concerning the cockpit design.

You are right, it is the contrary. But in this game we got the Atlas first. :lol:

#211 Steinar Bergstol

• Urban Commando
  • Urban Commando
  • 1,622 posts
  • LocationNorway

Posted 22 December 2012 - 10:35 AM

Oh. Hell. Yes!

Any mech that's good enough for Alexandr Kerensky _and_ Theodore Kurita should be good enough for anyone!

#212 Adridos

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bridesmaid
  • 10,635 posts
  • LocationHiding in a cake, left in green city called New A... something.

Posted 22 December 2012 - 10:37 AM

View PostSteinar Bergstol, on 22 December 2012 - 10:35 AM, said:

Oh. Hell. Yes!

Any mech that's good enough for Alexandr Kerensky _and_ Theodore Kurita should be good enough for anyone!

Theodor Kurita is just a noob that trashed the poor thing. :lol:

#213 Loc Nar

• 1,132 posts

Posted 22 December 2012 - 04:24 PM

Proof an AwesomO and Jonny Socko's flying robot had secks.

Posted Image
+
Posted Image
+
Posted Image

=

Posted Image

#214 torgian

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 283 posts
  • LocationColorado

Posted 22 December 2012 - 06:47 PM

The Orion was never my favorite heavy, but I'm eager to try this one out.

And although the fiction is great, I would like to see the ability to knock an opponent off their feet with well placed shots.

#215 Khan Hallis

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 250 posts
  • LocationPeriphery

Posted 23 December 2012 - 10:22 AM

View PostSmokem Jags, on 19 December 2012 - 02:01 PM, said:

Aleksandr Kerensky's Orion Hero Mech. Calling it now.

Damn skippy! About time we got a REAL 2nd Hero 'mech instead of these "invented" ones. Where is Takahashi or Theodore Kurita's Dragons? If they are going to "invent" hero 'mechs at least use the "notable pilots" referenced in canon instead of pure inventiveness from the ether.

View PostHollister, on 19 December 2012 - 02:12 PM, said:

NNOOO... Mech 19 was supposed to be a 55ton 5/8 mech with jumpjets.

But I guess ill take this. ^_^

Maybe mech 20? And I'd say about time! they need to cut the time between new mechs to </= 3 weeks so we can get a large variety of them.

View Postdal10, on 19 December 2012 - 02:18 PM, said:

mini atlases FOR EVERYONE

HELL YES!!!!

View PostNARCoMAN, on 19 December 2012 - 03:07 PM, said:

Too bad it won't be out for 7 months at the current rate

Oh now there's a real shocker. At this pace it will be 2016 before we ever see the clans in 3050.

#216 Grey Ghost

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 661 posts

Posted 23 December 2012 - 10:38 AM

View PostInnerSphereNews, on 19 December 2012 - 01:55 PM, said:

Posted Image

Yeah I really hope that cockpit is changed to look more iconic to the previous artistic representations for this Mech (fat chance I know ^_^). It was the one thing that they all seemed to have in common in all the official BattleTech publications I've seen it in. The rest of it looks fantastic, but that redesigned face just doesn't sit well with me.

#217 Sennin

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 459 posts
  • LocationColorado

Posted 23 December 2012 - 11:45 AM

View PostKhan Hallis, on 23 December 2012 - 10:22 AM, said:

Maybe mech 20? And I'd say about time! they need to cut the time between new mechs to </= 3 weeks so we can get a large variety of them.

'Mech 20 will be the Banshee http://www.sarna.net/wiki/Banshee. I'd bet my rediculous amount of MC on it for a number of reasons.

1) The current trend of 'Mech releases dictate the next 'Mech will be an assault.
2) The Banshee fills the 95 ton weight slot.
3) It has multiple variants that fit the timeline.
4) It has enough variety in weaponry and engine speed that it offers something for everyone.
5) According to lore it is available and common to every House in the Inner Sphere.

#218 Morang

• 1,259 posts
  • LocationHeart of Darkness

Posted 23 December 2012 - 12:23 PM

Do you see square depression around the triangular cockpit?

My guess is that square cockpit with vertical bar in the middle is reserved for dual-cockpit version. Atlas D-DC can just have second cockpit in second eye w/o external difference, but Orion's cockpit from this artwork needs to be reworked to accomodate two mechwarriors.

#219 verybad

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,229 posts

Posted 23 December 2012 - 02:22 PM

View PostAdridos, on 22 December 2012 - 10:37 AM, said:

Theodor Kurita is just a noob that trashed the poor thing. ^_^

At least he didn't run away from the Inner Sphere and abandon his widdle wobot because the true leaders of the Inner Sphere (the House leaders) were ignoring him when he tried to govern the Star League.

#220 verybad

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,229 posts

Posted 23 December 2012 - 02:30 PM

View PostSennin, on 23 December 2012 - 11:45 AM, said:

'Mech 20 will be the Banshee http://www.sarna.net/wiki/Banshee. I'd bet my rediculous amount of MC on it for a number of reasons.

1) The current trend of 'Mech releases dictate the next 'Mech will be an assault.
2) The Banshee fills the 95 ton weight slot.
3) It has multiple variants that fit the timeline.
4) It has enough variety in weaponry and engine speed that it offers something for everyone.
5) According to lore it is available and common to every House in the Inner Sphere.

I think it will be the Banshee or the Mauler. Both have interesting traits. The Mauler is a very nice looking mech with a really nasty loadout for this game. The Banshee would be mostly used as a different Atlas, Once the engine is downsized, it's pretty much the same mech overall(Hardpoints move arround, but once it's customized, it would do mostly the same stuff). (Not that I wouldn't like seeing either it OR the Mauler).

They havn't been necessarilly going by tonnage slots as much as role slots for each mass area (eg several 2 50 tonners and 35 tonners) Filling every single tonnage slot isn't as important as actual gameplay IMO.

I think the 20th mech will be the last Inner Sphere mech for a while (till after the Clans are fully "introduced") Probably introduce the clans with 4 mechs (Madcat and 3 others) We'll see though.

7 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 7 guests, 0 anonymous users