685 replies to this topic

#621 Commander Kobold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Territorial
  • 1,428 posts
  • LocationCanada

Posted 03 September 2013 - 03:17 PM

View PostGaslight, on 03 September 2013 - 11:26 AM, said:

Don't own one myself yet, but does anybody else looking at pics/videos of this new 'mech think it looks a little...

...odd? Like...flat? Under-detailed? It looks almost like a MechWarrior 4 model or something. It's like it isn't finished.

it could use some more detail especially the back of the mech looks crazy flat

#622 Stingz

• 1,159 posts
  • Location*SIGNAL LOST*

Posted 03 September 2013 - 03:28 PM

View PostJohn McFianna, on 03 September 2013 - 12:40 PM, said:

My thoughts actually.. it looks in Standard Colors a bit too shiny, as if freshly polished for the General on a parade... i guess... and frankly the paint scheme is horrible. Like a worker from the local Sewer System...

Kuritan Parade Colours from MechWarrior 4 Mercenaries, possibly from the MTX packs.
Theodore Kurita also used Kerensky's custom Orion.

Edited by Stingz, 03 September 2013 - 03:29 PM.

#623 Serpent 6

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 118 posts
  • LocationOutreach

Posted 03 September 2013 - 03:40 PM

To bad it's broken right out of the box. It's load out sucks with the new patch.

#624 DevilCrayon

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Nightmare
  • The Nightmare
  • 274 posts
  • LocationOakland, CA

Posted 03 September 2013 - 03:43 PM

"Broken" is a bit of an overstatemest.

#625 Burning Chrome

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 248 posts

Posted 03 September 2013 - 03:44 PM

View PostGaslight, on 03 September 2013 - 12:32 PM, said:

FTFY.

Reno, Budor, thanks for the screens. Those look a lot better than the impression I got from the first few pics/videos. I still think the hot rod paint scheme the Protector comes with doesn't do the game any favors but the model itself appears to be pretty nice.

GHSWYA

View PostReno Blade, on 03 September 2013 - 12:32 PM, said:

You want any of the "original" Orion artworks from here SARNA ??
I hope not :)

Yep, I like the original artwork, the pic that has "Is it my turn yet" on it somewhere in the forums and the original Ral Partha mini. That's what an Orion looks like. This looks like it weighs 50-tons, not 75-tons. I think my Kintaro is bigger.

Cataphract, Kintaro and Quickdraw in-game mechs are the best those have ever looked. I think the Blackjack is off, mostly due to the large cockpit (it is horribly off-scale) and the general scaling issues affecting most mechs is laughably bad/lazy development.

To each their own. If someone likes it and is happy with it, good for them.

Edited by Burning Chrome, 03 September 2013 - 03:46 PM.

#626 Serpent 6

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 118 posts
  • LocationOutreach

Posted 03 September 2013 - 03:53 PM

Light mechs will be the new kings of the battlefield. See a PPC being fired = bumbrush as he cant do damage close up.
Notice a gauss round, rush him too because he/she wont be able to hit a thing with the delay. OMG this is lame now. You people haven't played the game. I suggest trying Mech 4 at least then come back with a fresh look. 99% of your efforts here have been done before. Just look research them.

#627 Commander Kobold

• The Territorial
  • 1,428 posts
  • LocationCanada

Posted 03 September 2013 - 04:20 PM

View PostSerpent 6, on 03 September 2013 - 03:40 PM, said:

To bad it's broken right out of the box. It's load out sucks with the new patch.

What are you on about? It's load out is fine I'd just move some of the ammo around

View PostSerpent 6, on 03 September 2013 - 03:53 PM, said:

Light mechs will be the new kings of the battlefield. See a PPC being fired = bumbrush as he cant do damage close up.
Notice a gauss round, rush him too because he/she wont be able to hit a thing with the delay. OMG this is lame now. You people haven't played the game. I suggest trying Mech 4 at least then come back with a fresh look. 99% of your efforts here have been done before. Just look research them.

if not for the fact that hitting lights just got a lot easier I'd agree with you

#628 Chiron

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Moderate Giver
  • Moderate Giver
  • 123 posts
  • LocationCharlottesville, VA

Posted 03 September 2013 - 05:08 PM

If I buy the protector, or any other hero mech for that matter, will its colors become available for use on other mechs?

#629 xWiredx

• Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 1,805 posts

Posted 03 September 2013 - 05:11 PM

View Postchiron, on 03 September 2013 - 05:08 PM, said:

If I buy the protector, or any other hero mech for that matter, will its colors become available for use on other mechs?

Nah. I kind of dislike (but understand) that move by PGI. The colors and pattern are exclusive to that mech from what I've seen.

#630 Anjian

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • FP Veteran - Beta 2
  • FP Veteran - Beta 2
  • 3,735 posts

Posted 03 September 2013 - 09:56 PM

Don't own one myself yet, but does anybody else looking at pics/videos of this new 'mech think it looks a little...

...odd? Like...flat? Under-detailed? It looks almost like a MechWarrior 4 model or something. It's like it isn't finished.

Probably the real reason why it was set back. But too much detail, polygons and textures on a mech can cause graphics lag, which is probably from now on, we can expect mechs to be detailed in consideration for these 12v12 fights.

View Postchiron, on 03 September 2013 - 05:08 PM, said:

No. With the exception of the Project Phoenix/Saber package.

So later, you can set up your Orion, or this hero Orion, to the same colors as the Project Phoenix hero mechs.

#631 Ngamok

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 5,033 posts
  • Twitter: Link
  • Twitch: Link
  • LocationLafayette, IN

Posted 04 September 2013 - 06:25 AM

View PostRapierE01, on 03 September 2013 - 10:19 AM, said:

Its General K's Variant so it will be bought.

And it was. I made his loadout in the mech. It played ok, PPC to snipe and follow up with a charged Gauss round. Medium Lasers in arms to shoot lights running around and SRMs for brawling as well.

Posted Image

Looks pretty close though.

#632 LoveLost85

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 138 posts

Posted 04 September 2013 - 06:29 AM

View PostSerpent 6, on 03 September 2013 - 03:40 PM, said:

I KNOW RIGHT! I just bought one and couldn't agree more!!! if only there was a garage or something, no, a LAB, yeah that's it. if only there were a mech lab where you could change its loadout, man that would be cool. pfft I took the stock loadout for a few drops and rocked close to 700dmg 4kills each time before I started experimenting with builds.

#633 Dawnstealer

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Mercenary
  • Mercenary
  • 3,734 posts
  • LocationBlack Earth

Posted 04 September 2013 - 06:42 AM

Haven't had a chance to run one, just yet, as I'm grinding out my last starter (self-imposed rule that I don't buy something new until I'm finished with what I already have), but I'll probably get the Protector in the next week or so, and then two others with C-bills when they become available (K's looking real good).

I loved running my 'Phracts and this is looking a lot like one of those with a mild bump in tonnage. The engine's the big thing, so I'm thinking of running it like a "fast Phract." Like the 'Phract, it's not reeeeeaaaally a brawler, and you kind of have to be careful, but I think it could be a massively effective mech once the fight's joined.

The people I saw piloting them last night had the same issues everyone has: got isolated, got ahead of the herd, tried to take on multiple enemies on their own, etc.

For my take? I'll probably build mine like this:

http://mwo.smurfy-ne...ddd19e2c2c4cb53

#634 Bad Andy

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 270 posts

Posted 04 September 2013 - 07:59 PM

how are the hitboxes?

#635 Grimmnyr

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 327 posts

Posted 04 September 2013 - 08:17 PM

View PostBad Andy, on 04 September 2013 - 07:59 PM, said:

how are the hitboxes?

One giant CT.

#636 Bad Andy

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 270 posts

Posted 04 September 2013 - 08:35 PM

as bad as the awesome? can you hit the CT from the sides?

#637 DevilCrayon

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Nightmare
  • The Nightmare
  • 274 posts
  • LocationOakland, CA

Posted 04 September 2013 - 10:39 PM

I don't feel like I'm dying all the time to coring like I did in the kintaros (which are much better now) before this patch.

#638 Smitti

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 475 posts
  • Twitter: Link
  • LocationFrog-blasting between BioVent Core #88A and #88B

Posted 04 September 2013 - 11:10 PM

Standard hero paint job reminds me of Gordon Freeman in his hazmat suit

#639 Shiro Matsumoto

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Boombox
  • The Boombox
  • 492 posts
  • Locationon "The island"

Posted 05 September 2013 - 01:16 AM

It certainly plays odd.. the first fight i got splatted easily, now changed to std255,ac20,3 med laser(or 2 + tag), 2x srm6+artemis, std armor, ES.. not so bad, once you get closed and not being main target of the enemy.

It feels, however, not too durable.

#640 C E Dwyer

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 9,274 posts
  • LocationHiding in the periphery, from Bounty Hunters

Posted 05 September 2013 - 01:32 AM

View PostTanE, on 03 September 2013 - 10:13 AM, said:

Nice one:

Posted Image

We got Optimus Prime.

See, said they were turning this into stompy Robots..

First thing I did was CHANGE THE COLOURS EWWW

Then removed everything but the ML's replaced with twin Srm6, LL,AC10, and added endo steel internals

9 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 9 guests, 0 anonymous users