Ask The Devs 29A!

335 replies to this topic

#241 Will9761

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Big Brother
  • Big Brother
  • 4,620 posts

Posted 26 December 2012 - 06:16 PM

I like the decorations options for the mech's cockpits. So with that in mind, will you give players the option to customize a mech's whole cockpit with colors?Posted Image

Edited by Will9761, 29 December 2012 - 01:02 PM.

#242 xenoglyph

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,480 posts
  • LocationSan Diego

Posted 27 December 2012 - 01:57 AM

Hmm....ask the devs 0x29A?

:D

#243 CompproB237

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 395 posts

Posted 27 December 2012 - 02:08 AM

View Postxenoglyph, on 27 December 2012 - 01:57 AM, said:

Hmm....ask the devs 0x29A?

:D

Oh now that was clever...

#244 xenoglyph

• 1,480 posts
  • LocationSan Diego

Posted 27 December 2012 - 04:40 AM

On a more serious note...

If I were to give you a PoC + source for detecting a certain infamous & stealthy cheat tool available for MWO, would you:

a.) Promise to pack the game exe using top tier protection BEFORE implementing my detection to help prevent an arms race? (I have a recommendation I've already tested with the game client)

and

b.) Give me copious amounts of game currency?

Let me know =)

Edited by xenoglyph, 27 December 2012 - 04:42 AM.

#245 kilgor

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 346 posts

Posted 27 December 2012 - 05:57 AM

How about removing Alpha strikes altogether or limiting a particular weapon type to fire one or two at a time? This would probably help out game balancing a lot more.

Can we also get more 'Mechs with balanced weapon loadouts on each side?
As it is, there's so may 'Mechs whose main weapons reside in their Right Arm or Right Torso, so when that section gets destroyed, they become very ineffective.

Edited by kilgor, 27 December 2012 - 08:26 AM.

#246 neviu

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 505 posts
  • Locationnetherlands

Posted 27 December 2012 - 09:19 AM

View Postkilgor, on 27 December 2012 - 05:57 AM, said:

How about removing Alpha strikes altogether or limiting a particular weapon type to fire one or two at a time? This would probably help out game balancing a lot more.

Can we also get more 'Mechs with balanced weapon loadouts on each side?
As it is, there's so may 'Mechs whose main weapons reside in their Right Arm or Right Torso, so when that section gets destroyed, they become very ineffective.

really? you whant to take out something that has always been in mw? please just go away. shoo

#247 Kaox Veed

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • The Hammer
  • The Hammer
  • 158 posts

Posted 27 December 2012 - 09:43 AM

One day Garth will publish a book called "Ask the Devs 29: the long winter"

#248 kilgor

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 346 posts

Posted 27 December 2012 - 10:37 AM

View Postneviu, on 27 December 2012 - 09:19 AM, said:

really? you whant to take out something that has always been in mw? please just go away. shoo

Alpha strikes were meant as more of a last ditch effort to destroy your enemy because you usually expended all your ammo in the process or shut down immediately after using it.

Edited by kilgor, 27 December 2012 - 10:37 AM.

#249 Will9761

• Big Brother
  • Big Brother
  • 4,620 posts

Posted 27 December 2012 - 10:55 AM

Will we ever see Assault class Hero Mechs like Adam Steiner's Awesome or J.Elliot Jameson's Stalker for example?

Edited by Will9761, 27 December 2012 - 11:02 AM.

#250 verybad

• 4,229 posts

Posted 27 December 2012 - 10:57 AM

Will BAP and Ferro fibrous armor be boosted in any way? Right now they're sort of red headed uhh unwanted siblings to the ECM and Endo respectively. Boosting them those two pieces of equipment to make them mroe interesting would make for a more intriguing mechlab I think.

#251 Rasilon

• PipPip
  • 28 posts

Posted 27 December 2012 - 12:25 PM

View PostMustrumRidcully, on 26 December 2012 - 03:14 AM, said:

Q: What's the color of the boathouse at Hereford?

Speaking as someone that was born and raised in Hereford, I can say without hesitation that... I never noticed, lol. But I don't recal ever seeing a "Colour".

(I think its the stone building to the West (upstream) of the main bridge over the river Wye, just South of the town center).

#252 Homeless Bill

• The 1 Percent
  • The 1 Percent
  • 1,968 posts
  • LocationA Box Near You

Posted 27 December 2012 - 12:43 PM

Have you considered letting the community make (and maybe vote on) the trial 'mech loadouts? Trial 'mechs suck right now because they almost all run too hot. New players are the people you need to attract - not drive away.

Check out Helter's idea; it's one of the best I've seen, despite the fact that it won't affect me in any way: http://mwomercs.com/...ix-trial-mechs/

#253 Taizan

Com Guard

• 1,692 posts
  • LocationGalatea (NRW)

Posted 27 December 2012 - 01:06 PM

On Caustic Thermal view still has its use, but due to the high heat is less efficient. What are you thoughts of implementing MAD sight and possibly having maps that will influence it?

#254 Ashnod

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 1,636 posts
  • LocationAustin, TX

Posted 27 December 2012 - 01:31 PM

Have y'all thought of removing the current color filters that are making everything look the same?

Example thread:

http://mwomercs.com/...tle-more-color/

#255 Clideb50

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Knight Errant
  • Knight Errant
  • 194 posts
  • LocationMaine, United States

Posted 27 December 2012 - 01:58 PM

View PostRedDragon, on 20 December 2012 - 04:08 PM, said:

Question: Garth, can you tell us something about the timeline and how the Devs want to handle it at this moment? Are you still trying to advance 1:1 real time:game time? This would put the Clan invasion at March 2013, but this seems a bit optimistic. Can you tell us anything about the Devs' plans for the invasion and other upcoming events? No details, just a general idea of how you guys are currently thinking about it. Thanks ;)

I would also like to see what the Dev's opinion on the clan invasion is. Right now we don't have any sort of faction control system, and a mech every two weeks. I have no problem with one mech every two weeks, but still just a bit curious on how PG, and IGP plan on handling this. The forums would probably explode with rage if people don't get their precious MadCat. On a much brighter note, I just want to say that you guys have done great job so far, and I have a feeling this will be a very successful resurrection of the mechwarrior universe.

#256 Willie Sauerland

• Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 1,209 posts
  • LocationKansas City, Missouri, USA

Posted 27 December 2012 - 02:34 PM

I have searched for an answer to this question multiple times and have not been able to find an answer. Forgive me if it has been asked and already answered. If it has been answered, a link to the answer will suffice for me. ;)

What was the reason for 360 degree radar not being implemented?

I suspect it due to possible module availability in the future like the 360 degree target module, but I am curious to hear the answer.

Thanks. :P

#257 Peiper

• The Dragoon
  • The Dragoon
  • 1,444 posts
  • Google+: Link
  • LocationA fog where no one notices the contrast of white on white

Posted 27 December 2012 - 02:39 PM

View PostRegulus1990, on 27 December 2012 - 01:58 PM, said:

I would also like to see what the Dev's opinion on the clan invasion is. Right now we don't have any sort of faction control system, and a mech every two weeks. I have no problem with one mech every two weeks, but still just a bit curious on how PG, and IGP plan on handling this. The forums would probably explode with rage if people don't get their precious MadCat. On a much brighter note, I just want to say that you guys have done great job so far, and I have a feeling this will be a very successful resurrection of the mechwarrior universe.

While I am a fan of the Clans, they've been covered / been in the game since Mechwarrior 2. After reading many of the pre-clan novels, I find that I've just as much become a fan of the succession wars as the clan wars, perhaps even moreso. With the Clans, it's basically one big thrust, then a bunch of infighting and little wars. Before the clans you had big power plays, invasions, counterstrikes, and a great balancing game. The Clans come in, throw everything out of whack, and then the borders stabilize again, but you basically have no more succession wars.

Yeah, Clan tech is nice, but it's not necessary to make a great game. Once clan tech comes along, there are those who have and have not, and eventually, it's all balanced out again and it doesn't matter.

With the clans, to balance out the drops, either they have to have different objectives and, probably more importantly, drop weight distinctions. So, maybe have 800 tons facing every 500 tons of clan mechs. I'm just throwing the numbers out there, but if clanners really are that fantastic (and we are), we should be able to accomplish the same objectives with less weight than our inner sphere opponents. This is all an argument for another time, though, as I would like to argue for at least a year of fully functioning community warfare WITHOUT the clans as playable factions. Let's mess with the borders of the inner sphere a little bit first, and at least see who the top dogs are before the clans show up and upset everything. By going with a 1:1 day to day ratio, the Devs are setting themselves up for what are undoubtedly much-too-strict timelines. With or without the clans, they have to figure out how the inner sphere economy works. Yeah, one house can invade another, but can it keep up its supply lines to keep the push going? Can they still defend their other borders while they try to expand in any particular direction? Planetary invasion doesn't take one 15 minute match. It should take days to conquer a PLANET. We are talking PLANETS here, not tiny patches of land no bigger than a couple football fields (which is how big our current maps seem to be).

PGI needs to hire a team to basically create a working model, with planetary economies/weather/supply/loyalty factors already built in. They need to figure out how long it takes for dropships and jumpships to move from one planet/system to the next, and how long it takes to rearm/refit/order/manufacture battlemechs. This is if they really want to do it right and not just abstract it all with a bunch of stupid stories on why we're playing deathmatches over and over. The programs/matrix for all of the above already exists, but PGI won't =REDACTED=, so it will be interesting to see how long it takes them to gather the right people to put together something, and they have a steep hill to climb if they're going to get it done before the Battle of Tukayyid. It took =REDACTED= a lot of time and effort to create a great model for interplanetary combat - detailing 3000 planets. I don't see how they could do it any faster.

Anyway, I guess the point of all this is to advocate for a good amount of succession war style fighting before we even worry about the clans.

'nuff said, me thinks.

#258 ChaosClown Icaza

Rookie

• 6 posts
  • LocationMichigan

Posted 27 December 2012 - 03:02 PM

Has there ever been talk of making it an option to have the text stay on screen (Chat window) in game, 4-5 lines or something... It is very difficult to try and read it the second it pops up in battle, and very anoying to try and look back to it.

#259 Pariah Devalis

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Clan Cat
  • The Clan Cat
  • 7,655 posts
  • Google+: Link
  • Twitter: Link
  • LocationAboard the NCS True Path

Posted 27 December 2012 - 03:23 PM

During the pre-release of the CTF-IM, it was mentioned that it would look great recolored in Black and White. However, to date, none of the Hero mech camo schemes have any sort of color customization allowed to them. Was there an internal decision made to restrict hero Mech owners' ability to customize their appearances?

Edited by Pariah Devalis, 27 December 2012 - 03:31 PM.

#260 UnseenFury

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 961 posts
  • LocationСтрана Мечты (Strana Mechty)

Posted 27 December 2012 - 04:14 PM

Do you agree that current MWO maps are too small and don't represent MechWarrior or Battletech feel?
When all the engagements pretty much comes down to an under 90 meters fight.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users