"Elite Only" Custom Mechs

157 replies to this topic

#81 Klah

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 129 posts
  • LocationDreamland

Posted 23 May 2012 - 07:43 AM

I've got to say... I love the chaos in this forum!!! It really shows how much everyone cares about this game!

I'm looking forward to the premium mech. Time is money, and for me I don't have a problem supporting the devs.

#82 Kittygrinder

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 231 posts
  • Google+: Link
  • Facebook: Link
  • LocationRocking the boat.

Posted 23 May 2012 - 07:54 AM

I think with the devs post and the description of the mech, its self explanatory. The "FOUNDERS MECHS" have a different skin, and have boosted cbill earnings. It didnt say anything about it being an elite variant, or a different varient at all. Just different looking mechs with an added bonus.

#83 Kymlaar

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 154 posts
  • LocationSeattle Region

Posted 23 May 2012 - 08:12 AM

I'm inclined to agree that it's pretty self explanatory. Especially seeing that we're talking about two different catagories.

Email: Elite is in reference to a pre-purchase package. The mech itself is referenced as "Founders."
Dev Post: Elite is in reference to a skill level.

As they're entirely different catagories, I believe that it's alarmist to believe that they have anything at all to do with one another.

#84 Outlaw2

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 526 posts
  • LocationIn a van...

Posted 23 May 2012 - 08:17 AM

View PostKittygrinder, on 23 May 2012 - 07:54 AM, said:

I think with the devs post and the description of the mech, its self explanatory. The "FOUNDERS MECHS" have a different skin, and have boosted cbill earnings. It didnt say anything about it being an elite variant, or a different varient at all. Just different looking mechs with an added bonus.

Did you guys not read this thread. I'll paste the important post. I'll also bold and underline the important parts.

View PostGarth Erlam, on 22 May 2012 - 03:06 PM, said:

These will not be vastly superior death machines - they will be on par with other variants; they are merely different not better.

#85 Nik Van Rhijn

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,905 posts
  • LocationLost

Posted 23 May 2012 - 08:17 AM

I will be getting the Elite package as I was going to start in a Hunchback anyway. Even tho' I am EU based there are a number of people I want to play with/against on the NA server. I will probably buy the EU version when it comes out as well for when I want to play with a bit less lag or NA is emptier. Its only money and helps to keep the game going. As long as we can upgrade (if necessary) the tech I can't see it becoming "obsolete".

#86 Jakebob

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 150 posts
  • LocationIllinois

Posted 23 May 2012 - 08:47 AM

my brain now hurts from reading this disjointed thread.

So if I infer correctly from the rampant paranoia, people will buy an elite Dodge Viper which if painted red will spontaneously transform into an Atlas in a hula skirt with the speed of a Jenner that gains 10x the normal xp rate and 100x the normal c-bill rate per battle and whose weapons disregard all armor and impact directly on internal structure / components.

where do I sign up? :blink:

#87 Sassori

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Rage
  • Rage
  • 884 posts
  • LocationBlackjack

Posted 23 May 2012 - 08:53 AM

It just makes me wonder why the people who think 'Variant' = Pay 2 Win are still around.

Seriously.

It's going to offer chassis in the cash shop, it'd be stupid if they didn't. Even if they offer them for C-Bills at the same time (Likely) they /will/ be in the cash shop too.

The door is that away.

#88 SweetJackal

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Urban Commando
  • Urban Commando
  • 968 posts

Posted 23 May 2012 - 09:08 AM

View PostChristopher Dayson, on 23 May 2012 - 08:53 AM, said:

It just makes me wonder why the people who think 'Variant' = Pay 2 Win are still around.

Seriously.

It's going to offer chassis in the cash shop, it'd be stupid if they didn't. Even if they offer them for C-Bills at the same time (Likely) they /will/ be in the cash shop too.

The door is that away.

Nope, I don't think Variant=P2W. Rather in terms of the game economy it has only been stated that free players will get to pick 1 of 4 mechs as their starting mech, nothing about not being able to buy other mechs or variants with C-Bills.

The only way a variant can turn into P2W is when variants are locked out from the hands of free players. Making flexibility options premium exclusively is pay to win as they can be optimized in a different way and can give a thin advantage. When equal players face off it is those thin advantages that determine the outcome of the match.

In short, all players should have the same gameplay options open to them. Making some gameplay options premium only is Pay To Win unless they are so weak that they are actually inferior to other variants in it's tonnage. If a premium mech is different in it's variant and hardpoint locations, I assure you I will be able to optimize it to break the balance of the game by having it do things it was never intended.

I am a munchkin, I am the bane of your sheltered existence and the Developers will have to keep their model in check if they want to avoid Pay To Win. I have fought against blind claims of Pay To Win before, I have a lot of faith in the developers, but this is a very sensitive issue and we need word on it soon.

But right now, we know -nothing- about the Founder's mechs. We need more information on them before we can state if they are Pay To Win or not. If their hardpoint loadout is the exact same as another variant in it's tonnage, not even the same mech chasis, then it will be fine. If it's hardpoint loadout is unique to that exact founder's mech then we have a problem and it has shifted to a very shallow Pay To Win. But that's all it needs for real money to have an influence on the battlefield.

So please come back in here and clarify this Garth. The worst thing that can be done is just sitting and letting us stew on vague "What If's"

#89 Evinthal

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 660 posts
  • LocationGig Harbor, Wa

Posted 23 May 2012 - 09:12 AM

View PostSuckyJack, on 23 May 2012 - 09:08 AM, said:

But right now, we know -nothing- about the Founder's mechs. We need more information on them before we can state if they are Pay To Win or not. If their hardpoint loadout is the exact same as another variant in it's tonnage, not even the same mech chasis, then it will be fine. If it's hardpoint loadout is unique to that exact founder's mech then we have a problem and it has shifted to a very shallow Pay To Win. But that's all it needs for real money to have an influence on the battlefield.

This is what I am trying to say really. People are playing chicken little and yelling that the sky is falling, when it really isn't. We all just need to remain calm and wait to find out. I know a lot of people care about this, but at least have a little faith.

#90 Outlaw2

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 526 posts
  • LocationIn a van...

Posted 23 May 2012 - 09:19 AM

There is always enough room for concern when talking about a new F2P game's pay model. This makes or breaks the game for me.

SuckyJack explained the implications of an exclusive, real money only variant well. I hope everyone reads that.

If this is really just a skin plus a cbill booster, then great!...but they haven't come out and said that ...

Edited by =Outlaw=, 23 May 2012 - 09:20 AM.

#91 PANZERBUNNY

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 4,080 posts
  • LocationToronto, Canada

Posted 23 May 2012 - 09:22 AM

View PostChristopher Dayson, on 23 May 2012 - 08:53 AM, said:

Seriously.

The door is that away.

I would be more than okay with them NOT including the Elite and foudner options in a shop, but adding NEW options along the same lines, but different. Giving those founding players something neat to hang onto and people who come after have store options along the same lines.

#92 Kittygrinder

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 231 posts
  • Google+: Link
  • LocationRocking the boat.

Posted 23 May 2012 - 09:26 AM

View Post=Outlaw=, on 23 May 2012 - 08:17 AM, said:

Did you guys not read this thread. I'll paste the important post. I'll also bold and underline the important parts.

Right. Different. Different skin than the stock one. Different with a cbill booster. Not different with a different(read:better) armament or capabilities.

A cbill booster attached to a mech is not pay to win in any form. Its a convenience thing.

#93 Vieric

• PipPipPip
  • 57 posts

Posted 23 May 2012 - 09:27 AM

It is true, I have nothing but respect for the devs and wish to trust them on this, but i have seen even the most intelligent creators fall prey to underhanded and outright bad payment tactics. Often, I don't think it is intentional, however for whatever reason I have always seen it to be a slippery slope, once these things start they snowball at alarming speeds.

As stated before, I like these guys, i want to trust them, but they need to come over here and clear out the panic as quickly as they can, because silence only makes some of us worry more.

EDIT : Worth noting, that I say these things not to anger others, but to express legitimate concern felt by myself and others, to anyone reading, please bear this in mind.

Edited by Vieric, 23 May 2012 - 09:32 AM.

#94 Outlaw2

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 526 posts
  • LocationIn a van...

Posted 23 May 2012 - 09:34 AM

View PostKittygrinder, on 23 May 2012 - 09:26 AM, said:

Right. Different. Different skin than the stock one. Different with a cbill booster. Not different with a different(read:better) armament or capabilities.

A cbill booster attached to a mech is not pay to win in any form. Its a convenience thing.

Heh..honestly I hope you are right. However the quote didn't mention the skin or the c-bill booster. Also, maybe you don't know, but the word "variant" in mechwarrior is a specific term that indicates a different weapon loadout. Its not a generic word one should use to describe different cosmetics or extra out of match features (like the cbill booster). He either chose his words poorly, or it is a separate variant from the rest.

#95 Toothman

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 557 posts
  • LocationWisconsin

Posted 23 May 2012 - 09:43 AM

I hope they went with my suggestion of accoustically guided LRMs. The people who complain too loudly catch a flight dead in their mush.

#96 Outlaw2

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 526 posts
  • LocationIn a van...

Posted 23 May 2012 - 09:48 AM

View PostToothman, on 23 May 2012 - 09:43 AM, said:

I hope they went with my suggestion of accoustically guided LRMs. The people who complain too loudly catch a flight dead in their mush.

Hellz yeah!

#97 C0VVB3LL

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 187 posts

Posted 23 May 2012 - 09:50 AM

Huuzah!

#98 cipher

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 660 posts
  • LocationState College, PA

Posted 23 May 2012 - 10:01 AM

With the C-Bill earning boost and a cool paintjob, that's all I need. I'm just waiting for them to open up pre-order sales! :-)

That would be awesome!

Edited by cipher, 23 May 2012 - 10:02 AM.

#99 Outlaw2

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 526 posts
  • LocationIn a van...

Posted 23 May 2012 - 10:11 AM

The fanboy power of this thread has reached a new level.
Posted Image

#100 Jack Deveraux

• Pip
  • 17 posts

Posted 23 May 2012 - 11:19 AM

any chance 'unseen' mechs like Warhammer, Marauder and Archer will be premium mechs? I would so dropp $60 to pilot a warhammer, mechwarrior just won't be the same without some of those mechs....

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users