Petition To Pgi To Build A Battletech Single Player Game

322 replies to this topic

Poll: Single Player Game (1180 member(s) have cast votes)

Do you want a Full blown Mech Warrior Single Player Campaign?

1. Yes (957 votes [81.10%])

Percentage of vote: 81.10%

2. No (223 votes [18.90%])

Percentage of vote: 18.90%

Would you pay for a "kick start" founders program to get them started?

1. Yes (810 votes [68.64%])

Percentage of vote: 68.64%

2. No (370 votes [31.36%])

Percentage of vote: 31.36%

Vote Guests cannot vote

#101 Red squirrel

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 1,626 posts

Posted 29 December 2012 - 01:54 PM

Darth Vader said:

The 100th reply shall be mine!

#102 Anudiz

• PipPipPip
  • The 1 Percent
  • 76 posts

Posted 29 December 2012 - 01:59 PM

Would be really nice, after MWO is "complete".
Of course it wont ever be complete, but when its live and the big things are finished.

MW4 good memories... :)

#103 Erasus Magnus

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Veteran Founder
  • Veteran Founder
  • 383 posts
  • LocationUnited States Of Mind

Posted 29 December 2012 - 02:19 PM

i would love to have a single player campaign set in the 3015-3025 era, like in the mw5 trailer. and btw, mw5 wasnt pgi, it was smith and tinker, who tried to get this game up and running. :)

#104 Mikhalio

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 319 posts

Posted 29 December 2012 - 02:33 PM

The key here, and perhaps it will be lost in the churn:

- A SP MW game was pitched for 4 years, and failed to find a publisher.
- 3 other developers who elected to make a SP game, with a bolt on game for MP (what is the current F2P game, is that MP module) went bankrupt or sold the IP

Lets be honest, a SP game module will only be used to statistic farm, and mechbux farm by F2P players who can not hack it in online play.

A better option would be to integrate PVE quests into maps, similar to guild wars 2. Enabiling these players (pun intended) from being a part of the community vs. being offline spergs.

#105 Red squirrel

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 1,626 posts

Posted 29 December 2012 - 02:53 PM

Okay but that is exactly what I adressed in the OP:

View PostMikhalio, on 29 December 2012 - 02:33 PM, said:

- A SP MW game was pitched for 4 years, and failed to find a publisher.
- 3 other developers who elected to make a SP game, with a bolt on game for MP (what is the current F2P game, is that MP module) went bankrupt or sold the IP

So this means:
In a few months we have a working engine with 20 mechs all 3050 weaponry and electronic devices.

View PostMikhalio, on 29 December 2012 - 02:33 PM, said:

A better option would be to integrate PVE quests into maps, similar to guild wars 2. Enabiling these players (pun intended) from being a part of the community vs. being offline spergs.

Then it would be a great idea to implement PvE game modes.
The AI really is the critical point here.
And now - you have everything you need for a single player campaign.
You cannot compare this to the development of a single player game from scratch.
All it needs now is map designers. Give a map editor to the community and you will see campaigns preading like a desease.

Here again what the OP sais:

View PostRed squirrel, on 27 December 2012 - 03:10 PM, said:

1) MWO is feature complete and goes life.
2) An AI is developed for PvE game modes.
3) PvE campagins could be sold for MC (e.g. Battle of Luthien / of Tukayyid campaign packs)
4) Now there is all in place you need for a deep story driven single player campaing. Take one of those myriads of BT novels out there and create a campaign around it. (lock some map designers in the basement and create cut scenes)

Edited by Red squirrel, 29 December 2012 - 02:54 PM.

#106 Mikhalio

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 319 posts

Posted 29 December 2012 - 03:06 PM

Your spelling mistakes aside:

I will reiterate what will happen, and why people are clammering for a PVE game inside their MMO

1. This game is not yet finished, and should not be distracted from development any further. PGI admitted that the reason they are so far behind on their 2013 rollout of features is due to recoding alot of the game's features and balance to cater to freemium whiners, like the OP.

2. The true reason why a PVE game mode is wanted is because players do not want to invest in a community, but want all the trappings of a community warfare game where they can stat grind and get wealth against bots. This same argument permeated all F2P communities, and some, like Counterstrike suffered for this.

3. AI requires a significant team to develop, on average about 60% of a 'tier-1' game development team is related to environment and AI. PGI should not waste resources on such a marginal endevour, as this was the key problem why publishers rejected a single player game in the first place 4 years ago.

4. This discussion was already brought up, and shot down in the suggestions box. It is not accretive, if you really do not believe otherwise, suggest a kickstarter project. And do not distract PGI developers further with stupid ideas that are dilutive to their cash resources.

5. Not sure where you got point 1 from. But I will reiterate, this is a small company, seeking to develop a metagame mech simulator. If you do not like this product, please go play Hawken, that fits your desire for a freemium, COD-lite experience that will have a ladder simulator, a single player and all the mechbux you can want in offline stat padding.

Do we need to discuss this any further ?

5a. Map simulators do not exist in MMO games. This is because all content in a MMO must be audited and vetted by the game company, as gauranteed by their EULA. Player generated maps are not their property, and as such they can not charge (subscription or token) services based on their use. If this is to be an integrated, fluid world of multiple planets, all playing the same maps; but representative of different geographics on different planets, then all of these maps must be made and audited by PGI staff. Elsewise they can not legally charge for them.
It is for this one reason alone, and a very legally sound reason why most development companies no longer support third party content. Any bug or error that is generated in that map by the community, now becomes the liability of the publisher. Who is not insured to protect against community IMBA maps, or ****** coding.

Hopefully I will not have to explain this again, and this thread can happily die.

#107 Kaspirikay

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Giant Helper
  • 2,050 posts

Posted 29 December 2012 - 03:12 PM

Hey why not release a mission editor instead

#108 Mikhalio

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 319 posts

Posted 29 December 2012 - 03:17 PM

View PostKaspirikay, on 29 December 2012 - 03:12 PM, said:

Hey why not release a mission editor instead

Mission editors fall under the same legal liability as all third party content. This is why Star Trek Online, as an example did not release a mission editor until well after the company terminated its EULA liabilities (and subsequently went F2P).

Here is an example.
Lets say 1 player makes a map called XXMCBUX Statfarm 1v1XX
this map consists of 30 commandos who simply run, unarmed around the map, and players can purchase the map and then farm the Commandos for 3 days and get enough MC bills to buy anything they want.

Now clearly this will be the most popular sim, map. whatever... but it will ruin the game. In this case, who bears the liability and will responsibility for this map being released to the community, who still pays for this game in hard currency ? who accepts the refund liability ? What is the grounds, from a business perspective as to why this map should be pulled ?

In short, unless PGI shuts down their business model, and purges this entire project; they will not add a single player, offline module to this game.

If you, or other enterprising freemium players want a SP game, I suggest a kickstarter in the suggestions box and learn something from this post; and maybe post something more value add to PGI and their current budget.

#109 Thire

• PipPip
  • 27 posts
  • LocationThe dark side of the moon!

Posted 29 December 2012 - 03:22 PM

As far as i remember this game was meant to be a single payer game anyway, but they had to move to a F2P online title because there was no publisher to be found. So yes, i hope they generate a healthy income that might allow them not just to maintain the online game but also resume working on the single player campaign.

#110 Mikhalio

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 319 posts

Posted 29 December 2012 - 03:25 PM

View PostThire, on 29 December 2012 - 03:22 PM, said:

As far as i remember this game was meant to be a single payer game anyway, but they had to move to a F2P online title because there was no publisher to be found. So yes, i hope they generate a healthy income that might allow them not just to maintain the online game but also resume working on the single player campaign.

You remember correctly. The reason they could not host a SP game, with a MP module (we are merely playing the MP module in a F2P setting of "open beta"). is because developing that SP game would not have been a money making venture.

As I said, making a SP game is not aligned with this current game's business model. The teams are not compatible, nor is the support staff necessary to make a SP game.

The only reason why players want a SP game, is because they can not take the atmosphere of playing with people, and are losing so bad, they need bots to enjoy the game. That is the only reason these threads come up, and they really should stop.

#111 Red squirrel

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 1,626 posts

Posted 29 December 2012 - 03:31 PM

View PostMikhalio, on 29 December 2012 - 03:06 PM, said:

Your spelling mistakes aside:

I will reiterate what will happen, and why people are clammering for a PVE game inside their MMO

1. This game is not yet finished, and should not be distracted from development any further. PGI admitted that the reason they are so far behind on their 2013 rollout of features is due to recoding alot of the game's features and balance to cater to freemium whiners, like the OP.

Until here I was really trying to get into a serious discussion with you.
But freemium whiner? Really couldn't you come up with something better?

View PostMikhalio, on 29 December 2012 - 03:06 PM, said:

5. Not sure where you got point 1 from. But I will reiterate, this is a small company, seeking to develop a metagame mech simulator. If you do not like this product, please go play Hawken, that fits your desire for a freemium, COD-lite experience that will have a ladder simulator, a single player and all the mechbux you can want in offline stat padding.

But then it became just too obvious that you are the greatest troll I have met in these forums so far.
By the way this has so absolutely nothing to do with this thread and what was posted here that it made me laugh ;)

View PostMikhalio, on 29 December 2012 - 03:17 PM, said:

Here is an example.
Lets say 1 player makes a map called XXMCBUX Statfarm 1v1XX
this map consists of 30 commandos who simply run, unarmed around the map, and players can purchase the map and then farm the Commandos for 3 days and get enough MC bills to buy anything they want.

ROTFL :)? Do you really believe that?

View PostMikhalio, on 29 December 2012 - 03:17 PM, said:

If you, or other enterprising freemium players want a SP game, I suggest a kickstarter in the suggestions box and learn something from this post; and maybe post something more value add to PGI and their current budget.

And I guess this valuable input is probably to be found in your thoughtful posts?
Edit: Like this one for example? http://mwomercs.com/...__fromsearch__1

PS: If you PM me the spelling mistakes I will of course correct my post. :)

Edited by Red squirrel, 29 December 2012 - 03:55 PM.

#112 Red squirrel

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 1,626 posts

Posted 29 December 2012 - 03:51 PM

View PostMikhalio, on 29 December 2012 - 03:25 PM, said:

The only reason why players want a SP game, is because they can not take the atmosphere of playing with people, and are losing so bad, they need bots to enjoy the game. That is the only reason these threads come up, and they really should stop.

Okay now I see were your hostility is coming from:
In your world one can either like PvP online games OR single player games.
Let me try to explain: They are two completely different things and can wonderfully co-exist.
Just the fact that 70% of the votes in this poll are in favour of my suggestion shows that your assumption is flawed.
(Unless of course there are 70% of "freemium whiners" that are unable to play the game and...see quote above)

PS: Luckily you are in no position to dictate which threads are started in these forums.
Having had a look at your threads I am aware that you would like to decide who is to be
allowed to post and who isn't. (obviously mainly people that share your opinion)

#113 Landsharkk

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 521 posts
  • Locationnear Seattle, WA

Posted 29 December 2012 - 03:56 PM

I would HATE to see PGI do any more mechwarrior games, considering how much they've screwed up MWO.

Your poll is missing some options.

Do I want to see a singleplayer MWO game? YES

Would I pay PGI to make it? Not even with a pile of dog sh**.

Edited by Landsharkk, 29 December 2012 - 03:57 PM.

#114 Red squirrel

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 1,626 posts

Posted 29 December 2012 - 04:42 PM

View PostLandsharkk, on 29 December 2012 - 03:56 PM, said:

I would HATE to see PGI do any more mechwarrior games, considering how much they've screwed up MWO.

Your poll is missing some options.

Do I want to see a singleplayer MWO game? YES

Would I pay PGI to make it? Not even with a pile of dog sh**.

Yes many people have raised that opinion in this thread.
This is the reason why I changed the questions (it is still in the thread title though).
to "Do you want a BT sinlge player game?"

I can understand these concerns since PGI is about a year behind schedule but already chargin money.
But then maybe you can agree that (once upon a time when netcode and all these other issues are fixed)
MWO could actually be a basis for such a single player game. Hopefully the community will get a map editor at some point.

#115 Red squirrel

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 1,626 posts

Posted 29 December 2012 - 05:12 PM

View PostErasus Magnus, on 29 December 2012 - 02:19 PM, said:

i would love to have a single player campaign set in the 3015-3025 era, like in the mw5 trailer. and btw, mw5 wasnt pgi, it was smith and tinker, who tried to get this game up and running. :)

Didn't know that. Always thought that trailer was from PGI.
But anyhow 3015-3025 would be a great era for such a campaign *dream*

#116 Tarman

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,080 posts

Posted 29 December 2012 - 08:15 PM

View PostMikhalio, on 29 December 2012 - 03:25 PM, said:

You remember correctly. The reason they could not host a SP game, with a MP module (we are merely playing the MP module in a F2P setting of "open beta"). is because developing that SP game would not have been a money making venture.

As I said, making a SP game is not aligned with this current game's business model. The teams are not compatible, nor is the support staff necessary to make a SP game.

You don't play single player games, do you. Have you heard of them? >______>

I like both kinds of gameplay, because they're different kinds of gameplay. I liked the SP campaign modes in MW2 and 4 because they were FUN. You got to run a whole bunch of fun missions doing all kinds of cool things. Missions in space and underwater, wiping out enemy fortifications and mech formations, ripping up armoured columns or defending them. Good times.

Your bizarrely hostile reasoning honestly baffles me, both for its tone and its incorrectness.

#117 Red squirrel

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 1,626 posts

Posted 29 December 2012 - 11:47 PM

View PostTarman, on 29 December 2012 - 08:15 PM, said:

Your bizarrely hostile reasoning honestly baffles me, both for its tone and its incorrectness.

Just have a look at other posts from this guy ... "bizarrely hostile and incorrect" is the best way to describe it.

No clue what someone could have against single player games.
I just love the immesion into a deep story:

e.g. 3025 - you live peacefully on a remote planet which all of a sudden gets invaded.
You manage to get into your fathers mech - an old and rusty Clint. Together with a handful of
other mechs (a Blackjack a Jenner and an Urbanmech :D a Hunchback) you try to fend of the
invasion forces in the capital long enough for a ordered retreat. But eventually you have to flee
when an Atlas corners you. Only your jump jets can save you. And now a kind of guerillia warfare
to capture better mechs and retake the planet starts.
Intrique and conflicts between different Houses - politics and war play out.

Great - for me a single player game is just like a novel where you dive through the pages into the story.
PvP is like going out with frinds and play bascetball, football, soccer, whatever.
Never heard of anyboday to tell me I only like novels, because I suck at sports though :D

#118 Red squirrel

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 1,626 posts

Posted 30 December 2012 - 01:53 AM

Just started a 'sister thread' discussing your favorite historic event to play aa PvE game mode:
http://mwomercs.com/...o-take-part-in/

#119 Easyvue

• PipPip
  • 46 posts

Posted 30 December 2012 - 02:15 AM

I am so sick of being rolled by premades that I am about to give up on this game. Between pugs vs premades and the insanely overpriced MC I am regretting being a founder. I would love some PvE or a whole sp campaign that isn't about having the best builds and more about fun.

#120 Thorn Hallis

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,902 posts
  • LocationUnited States of Paranoia

Posted 30 December 2012 - 02:18 AM

I'm only interested in the multiplayer part of Mechwarrior games, so "No" to both.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users