Petition To Pgi To Build A Battletech Single Player Game

322 replies to this topic

Poll: Single Player Game (1180 member(s) have cast votes)

Do you want a Full blown Mech Warrior Single Player Campaign?

1. Yes (957 votes [81.10%])

Percentage of vote: 81.10%

2. No (223 votes [18.90%])

Percentage of vote: 18.90%

Would you pay for a "kick start" founders program to get them started?

1. Yes (810 votes [68.64%])

Percentage of vote: 68.64%

2. No (370 votes [31.36%])

Percentage of vote: 31.36%

Vote Guests cannot vote

#121 MadcatX

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Big Brother
  • Big Brother
  • 1,026 posts

Posted 30 December 2012 - 02:36 AM

I'm in.

Although it depends who makes it.

Mechwarrior 4 killed the love I used to have for single-player MW.

#122 Red squirrel

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 1,626 posts

Posted 30 December 2012 - 05:43 AM

View PostMadcatX, on 30 December 2012 - 02:36 AM, said:

I'm in.

Although it depends who makes it.

My favorite was MW2.

Edited by Red squirrel, 30 December 2012 - 05:46 AM.

#123 Arcturus Steiner

• Pip
  • 13 posts

Posted 30 December 2012 - 06:29 AM

I was very disappointed when I heard that the new MW title is going to be F2P.
I was looking forward for a single player title and only recently created an MWO account.

F2P is just not my kind of game.
But if this is the only road to a single player game I will happily stick to it.

#124 Red squirrel

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 1,626 posts

Posted 30 December 2012 - 07:42 AM

View PostArcturus Steiner, on 30 December 2012 - 06:29 AM, said:

I was very disappointed when I heard that the new MW title is going to be F2P.
I was looking forward for a single player title and only recently created an MWO account.

F2P is just not my kind of game.
But if this is the only road to a single player game I will happily stick to it.

Welcome on board then - and hopefully our sinlge player dreams may come true in the next years.

#125 Red squirrel

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 1,626 posts

Posted 30 December 2012 - 09:56 AM

View PostMRMUNDANE, on 28 December 2012 - 06:35 AM, said:

The only thing i would like more then a single player campaign is a CO-OP campaign! I have some friends who refuse to join me on the battlefield due to the fact that the only option is to play online against others. If there was a co-op campaign they would jump onboard and would then obviously get sucked into playing online aswell :D

I know the online component is to be completed first but maybe we could get a mode with AI bots to practice with friends?
That can't hardly be a challenge for PGI!! :) Or could it? :)

How cool a 4 man lance co-op "pseudo single player" campagin would be.

I think however, that the development of an AI is the most crucial and difficult part.

#126 Like a Sir

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 589 posts
  • LocationUSA NW

Posted 30 December 2012 - 10:21 AM

You rub my back, I rub yours... (many people will be mislead by this comment!!!), bumps to you!

#127 Corbon Zackery

• Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 1,363 posts

Posted 30 December 2012 - 10:51 AM

They have a single player game Harmany Gold filed a Cease order due the pilot having a unseen Warhammer in it.

As you know when FASA first started Battletech they ripped off several mechs from Japans Robotech.

#128 Red squirrel

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 1,626 posts

Posted 30 December 2012 - 12:03 PM

View PostLike a Sir, on 30 December 2012 - 10:21 AM, said:

You rub my back, I rub yours... (many people will be mislead by this comment!!!), bumps to you!

A little bit more to the left ... deeper .... not so deep though .... right right right .... a bit up ... ahh now you got the itchy spot :)

#129 Red squirrel

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 1,626 posts

Posted 30 December 2012 - 03:56 PM

View PostCorbon Zackery, on 30 December 2012 - 10:51 AM, said:

They have a single player game Harmany Gold filed a Cease order due the pilot having a unseen Warhammer in it.

As you know when FASA first started Battletech they ripped off several mechs from Japans Robotech.

This is the issue about the so called "Unseen" mechs.
http://www.sarna.net/wiki/Unseen

But it has nothing to do with single player.
It just means we wont have babies like the Marauder in MWO be it multi or single player.

InnerSphereNews said:

Oh Yeah, Harmony Gold

Contrary to all the press and speculation that Harmony Gold was getting in the way of a deal or development, this had no impact whatsoever on development or signing a deal for MechWarrior.

http://mwomercs.com/...-blog-0-reboot/

Edited by Red squirrel, 30 December 2012 - 03:57 PM.

#130 Rifter

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,230 posts

Posted 30 December 2012 - 08:30 PM

Normally i would disagree with this post.

However since i have been in beta since aug PGI has demonstrated that they cant fix the netcode, or balance the game.

So single player at this point might be the best option.

#131 WC Angelo

• PipPip
  • 46 posts

Posted 30 December 2012 - 08:54 PM

I have a feeling they dont have the manpower to accomplish this. More funding would allow them to hire people for this but i dunno, one play thru of single player and that will be it for me. I would rather PGI focus entirely on multiplayer and Community Warfare.

#132 Shootanoob

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 248 posts
  • Locationin a Jenner right behind you

Posted 30 December 2012 - 08:57 PM

Well, nearly everything is already said to the topic, but I have one picture to drop:

Even if there would be be everything what is already announced implemented within the next few months (which I doubt, for it is plenty of stuff to make it all fit in) and even if such small additions as claninvasion, new Maps, new Mechs etc etc are all made and done, I do not see where they will get time and resources to build a decent SP campaign without dropping the priority of keeping the MP part that makes or breaks this project further interesting and above all, earning.

And yes, there might be "all except an AI" in place, but; just because I have a bag of puzzlepieces doesn't mean thats easy to put them together to build the desired picture...

#133 Thirdstar

• 2,728 posts
  • LocationIndia

Posted 30 December 2012 - 09:07 PM

View PostBigPuma, on 30 December 2012 - 08:57 PM, said:

Well, nearly everything is already said to the topic, but I have one picture to drop:

Even if there would be be everything what is already announced implemented within the next few months (which I doubt, for it is plenty of stuff to make it all fit in) and even if such small additions as claninvasion, new Maps, new Mechs etc etc are all made and done, I do not see where they will get time and resources to build a decent SP campaign without dropping the priority of keeping the MP part that makes or breaks this project further interesting and above all, earning.

And yes, there might be "all except an AI" in place, but; just because I have a bag of puzzlepieces doesn't mean thats easy to put them together to build the desired picture...

F2P Online Games such as MWO are never 'done'. There's really no point in the Dev cycle that mirrors the Gold/Shipped status on singleplayer games. The standard practice in F2P is to go to release and then lay off half the staff, sad but often true.

#134 Shootanoob

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 248 posts
  • Locationin a Jenner right behind you

Posted 30 December 2012 - 10:11 PM

View PostThirdstar, on 30 December 2012 - 09:07 PM, said:

F2P Online Games such as MWO are never 'done'. There's really no point in the Dev cycle that mirrors the Gold/Shipped status on singleplayer games. The standard practice in F2P is to go to release and then lay off half the staff, sad but often true.

Yep. That's what I keep saying from the begin of this discussion on.

In a perfect world with unlimited resources and so on, it might be possible, but after all, gaming industry is only just an industry as every other industry: you need to make profit and return on assets or be closed down. That's why I rather see the remaining ressources spent on one priority instead of spreading them thin.

Doing everything a bit in the end will result in acheiving nothing at all.

#135 CoolLew

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Bludgeon
  • The Bludgeon
  • 224 posts
  • LocationInnersphere, Chaos March, Terra, South Carolina

Posted 30 December 2012 - 11:49 PM

View PostMadcatX, on 30 December 2012 - 02:36 AM, said:

What? I thought MW4 had a great story line!
I thought the action was a little too fast paced though, It didn't feel like I was in a huge, plodding mech :angry:

edit: it is getting late, too many type-o's...

Edited by CoolLew, 30 December 2012 - 11:51 PM.

#136 Liquidx

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 514 posts
  • LocationPeriphery

Posted 31 December 2012 - 12:04 AM

I wouldn't mind a single player campaign - but not part of MWO, and not developed by PGI.

#137 Lukoi Banacek

• WC 2018 Top 12 Qualifier
  • WC 2018 Top 12 Qualifier
  • 4,353 posts

Posted 31 December 2012 - 12:07 AM

I'm sure it's already been said, but a training mode, single player is what I'd like to see. An offline "bots" environment on all of the maps so newbies can avoid teh ridiculous learning curve AND we can all test our variants before entering live servers.

#138 Arcturus Steiner

• Pip
  • 13 posts

Posted 31 December 2012 - 01:13 AM

View PostBigPuma, on 30 December 2012 - 10:11 PM, said:

In a perfect world with unlimited resources and so on, it might be possible, but after all, gaming industry is only just an industry as every other industry: you need to make profit and return on assets or be closed down.

You, Sir just destroyed my dreams :lol: ... :lol:

PS: Everyone knows that the gaming industry is a bunch of philantropes that want to bring enjoyment to the hearts of little mechwarriors.

PPS: Maybe the Pentagon can fund MWO - it could take some money from the StarWars project :angry:

#139 Zeke Steiner

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • The Howl
  • 164 posts
  • LocationLimbo

Posted 31 December 2012 - 01:26 AM

You can change my no into a yes after they finish getting all the bugs and kinks out of MWO. PGI has enough on their plate for the next year, making a single player experience would be great so long as it doesn't hurt the development of MWO.

#140 Red squirrel

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 1,626 posts

Posted 31 December 2012 - 08:08 AM

View PostZeke Steiner, on 31 December 2012 - 01:26 AM, said:

1) MWO is feature complete, gold plated and goes life.
2) An AI is developed for PvE game modes.
3) PvE campagins could be sold for MC (e.g. Battle of Luthien / of Tukayyid campaign packs)
4) Now there is all in place you need for a deep story driven single player campaing. Take one of those myriads of BT novels out there and create a campaign around it. (lock some map designers in the basement and create cut scenes)

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users