(Aws Guide) Awesome Basics And My 1000+ Damage Builds (Every Variant Covered)

72 replies to this topic

#21 Typatty

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Veteran Founder
  • Veteran Founder
  • 138 posts

Posted 03 January 2013 - 03:23 PM

View PostNRP, on 03 January 2013 - 02:17 PM, said:

Since I have a 9M, do that one first.
By the way, you and I were on the same team the other night. You were in a stalker, but you seemed to be AFK. I was going to roll with you. :P

Nice. Yeah, I'm working on my STK builds, getting some really great ones (recently the 5M).
I'm usually AFK for a few moments at the beginning of every match because that's when I text my girlfriend between games, but I swear I wake up and get into the fray quickly :lol:

#22 TheStrider

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 574 posts
  • LocationOntario, Canada

Posted 03 January 2013 - 03:55 PM

My Awesome Lance:

8Q "Radiator": STD290, 2ML, 3LL, AMS, 21 DHS - Stay out of the direct brawl and light them up!
8R "Smash-Face": STD290, 1LL, 4SRM6+Art, AMS, 16 DHS - Smash face, repeat.
9M "Honey-Badger": XL380, 2ML, 2MPL, 2SRM4, 1SRM6, AMS, 21 DHS - Honey badger don't care!

I have hit 1000+ on the 8R and 9M. The 9M is just a joy to run.

#23 Typatty

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Veteran Founder
  • Veteran Founder
  • 138 posts

Posted 03 January 2013 - 04:53 PM

View PostTheStrider, on 03 January 2013 - 03:55 PM, said:

My Awesome Lance:

8Q "Radiator": STD290, 2ML, 3LL, AMS, 21 DHS - Stay out of the direct brawl and light them up!
8R "Smash-Face": STD290, 1LL, 4SRM6+Art, AMS, 16 DHS - Smash face, repeat.
9M "Honey-Badger": XL380, 2ML, 2MPL, 2SRM4, 1SRM6, AMS, 21 DHS - Honey badger don't care!

I have hit 1000+ on the 8R and 9M. The 9M is just a joy to run.

The 8R is a beast, I run something similar with 2 SRM4s + Art, 2 SRM6s + Art, and two LL on the arm.
I'm going to try out something like your 9M with the SRM4s. Thanks for sharing!

#24 Typatty

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Veteran Founder
  • Veteran Founder
  • 138 posts

Posted 03 January 2013 - 05:29 PM

Tried the 9M build with an ERPPC on the arm. This is what I got the first game. Less burst damage up close but you can fire the ERPPC continuously without overheating. Functions as more of a redundant weapon system rather than one that can fire together with the 3 ML. WIth a regular PPC you can fire with the ML but you're often so close that you get under 90m, making the PPC useless.

Edited by Typatty, 03 January 2013 - 05:30 PM.

#25 Typatty

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Veteran Founder
  • Veteran Founder
  • 138 posts

Posted 03 January 2013 - 09:41 PM

The first part of the 9M online guide is now available here:
The second part will be available within a day or two and will be posted in this thread once it's up.

I haven't uploaded any gameplay yet for the other AWS variants, but they will be posted here at my YT channel once they're available: https://www.youtube....75?feature=mhee

I'll also link them here just for ease of access. Feedback is always appreciated!

#26 NRP

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Fire
  • Fire
  • 3,949 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

Posted 04 January 2013 - 08:20 AM

<p>I just unlocked all the basics for my 9M, and I want to work on elite because the thought of &quot;9M + speed tweak&quot; gives me wood.  So which other two chassis variants would you guys recommend?  I'm thinking 8R because I have been told that &quot;brawl is man&quot; but no idea on the other.</p>

Edit
Those vids were pretty cool. I definitely need to get better at following a target with my arms and torso as I fly past it. You do that really well.

Edited by NRP, 04 January 2013 - 09:57 AM.

#27 Typatty

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Veteran Founder
  • Veteran Founder
  • 138 posts

Posted 04 January 2013 - 12:26 PM

View PostNRP, on 04 January 2013 - 08:20 AM, said:

<p>I just unlocked all the basics for my 9M, and I want to work on elite because the thought of &quot;9M + speed tweak&quot; gives me wood. So which other two chassis variants would you guys recommend? I'm thinking 8R because I have been told that &quot;brawl is man&quot; but no idea on the other.</p>

Edit
Those vids were pretty cool. I definitely need to get better at following a target with my arms and torso as I fly past it. You do that really well.

Thanks. I suggest the 8R (the brawler you mentioned) and the 8T. The 8T makes an incredibly good LRM boat and still has 4 ML on the arms if you want to help tear up the enemy team.

If you like to laser boat, the 8Q is the one for that. The 8V is like a combination between the 8Q and 8R (mix of laser and missile).

Hope that helps you choose!

#28 Arzargul

• PipPip
  • 21 posts

Posted 04 January 2013 - 03:30 PM

i need help with the 8q brawler. i cant deal enough damage X

#29 Typatty

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Veteran Founder
  • Veteran Founder
  • 138 posts

Posted 04 January 2013 - 04:17 PM

View PostArzargul, on 04 January 2013 - 03:30 PM, said:

i need help with the 8q brawler. i cant deal enough damage X

If you'd like, I can make a video for the 8Q similar to how I did for the 9M to help you see what I'm doing to make it successful. I was playing it last night and got 500-700 damage consistently.

A few quick concerns would be:
1. Are you staying with the group and only engaging when you're not susceptible to enemy long-range fire?
2. Are you focusing down the CT of enemy mechs?
3. Are you engaging around 180m, which is the optimal range for the MPLs?

Let me know if it would help if I made a video to show you how I'm doing it.

#30 Arzargul

• PipPip
  • 21 posts

Posted 05 January 2013 - 06:37 AM

yes i would appreciate the video.
But now i think that the awesome can't match a stalker. It needs more blindage on the torso...

#31 NRP

• Fire
  • Fire
  • 3,949 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

Posted 05 January 2013 - 07:33 AM

It seems to me the Stalker, Catapult, and Atlas are particularly hard to kill in a brawl. The Atlas I understand, as it has the most armor of any mech. However, the Stalker and Catapult are a bit perplexing. I don't understand why they are as difficult to take down as they are. I try to focus on center torso, but they just take the punishment and keep going like a glowing white hot energizer bunny.

I will say this though, 4 SRM6s bring a whole new level of pain in a close range brawl. I've been trying to practice brawling with a Stalker with 4 ML and 4 SRM6s. I had a few matches where I felt like I could annihilate anything I faced, but most of the time I just got owned.

#32 The Amazing Atomic Spaniel

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 932 posts
  • LocationBath, UK

Posted 05 January 2013 - 09:46 AM

View PostNRP, on 05 January 2013 - 07:33 AM, said:

It seems to me the Stalker, Catapult, and Atlas are particularly hard to kill in a brawl. The Atlas I understand, as it has the most armor of any mech. However, the Stalker and Catapult are a bit perplexing. I don't understand why they are as difficult to take down as they are. I try to focus on center torso, but they just take the punishment and keep going like a glowing white hot energizer bunny.

I think that in the case of the Stalker the CT is so narrow that it's hard to hit and damage actually ends up distributed across the LT, CT and RT. In contrast the Awesome has such a large CT that most people can hit it even at range.

#33 Arzargul

• PipPip
  • 21 posts

Posted 05 January 2013 - 10:13 AM

For me its simple, they must buff this mech. No matter you can say, if we see so few awesome in the game, its because there is a reason ! Need a buff

#34 Kaptain

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 1,284 posts
  • LocationNorth America

Posted 05 January 2013 - 10:22 AM

I own 4 of them and love them. I do not feel they are UP in comparison to a stalker. The 8Q with 4ll and 3ml is one of my top 5 fav mechs. 290s+dhs are a must to benefit from the maneuverability and speed of an 80 ton.

I would like to see the engine restriction increased 10 points...

#35 Cleverbird

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 274 posts
  • LocationFeel Good Inc.

Posted 05 January 2013 - 03:53 PM

I just want to say thank you for this immensely useful thread! Just bought myself a 9M (after days of grinding) and while I'm lacking a XL385 (still using the default 320), I'm loving your build!

Running mighty hot though, without those extra three heatsinks from a 385

#36 Typatty

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Veteran Founder
  • Veteran Founder
  • 138 posts

Posted 05 January 2013 - 04:49 PM

View PostCleverbird, on 05 January 2013 - 03:53 PM, said:

I just want to say thank you for this immensely useful thread! Just bought myself a 9M (after days of grinding) and while I'm lacking a XL385 (still using the default 320), I'm loving your build!

Running mighty hot though, without those extra three heatsinks from a 385

It should feel more manageable if you replace the LPL with an LL, at least until you can get an XL 385.

#37 NRP

• Fire
  • Fire
  • 3,949 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

Posted 05 January 2013 - 05:08 PM

XL380 is good too. It will save you about 1.5 tons too.

#38 Typatty

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Veteran Founder
  • Veteran Founder
  • 138 posts

Posted 05 January 2013 - 05:58 PM

Guide has been updated :P

#39 MadPanda

• The 1 Percent
  • 2,054 posts
  • LocationSearching for a game...

Posted 05 January 2013 - 06:37 PM

View PostTypatty, on 03 January 2013 - 09:41 PM, said:

The first part of the 9M online guide is now available here:
The second part will be available within a day or two and will be posted in this thread once it's up.

I haven't uploaded any gameplay yet for the other AWS variants, but they will be posted here at my YT channel once they're available: https://www.youtube....75?feature=mhee

I'll also link them here just for ease of access. Feedback is always appreciated!

Man, three 8-0 stomps :P. Try to record a game where you actually need to do something for the win.

#40 Typatty

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Veteran Founder
  • Veteran Founder
  • 138 posts

Posted 05 January 2013 - 07:59 PM

View PostMadPanda, on 05 January 2013 - 06:37 PM, said:

Man, three 8-0 stomps :). Try to record a game where you actually need to do something for the win.

I get pretty stomped in Part 2 :P
Unfortunately, a lot of the games I've recorded have been either a stomp on my end or a stomp on the other. Kind of unfortunate, but the only way I can showcase the builds is to show the games where I actually manage to shoot something before dying.

I blame the matchmaker >_>

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users