(Aws Guide) Awesome Basics And My 1000+ Damage Builds (Every Variant Covered)

72 replies to this topic

#61 NRP

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Fire
  • Fire
  • 3,949 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

Posted 05 May 2013 - 02:29 PM

The SRM nerf hit us hard for sure.

That said, I wanted to add my PB build (which I think is about the best I can do with this mech):

XL400
LL (RA)
LPL (Torso)
ML (Head)
SRM6 (Torso)
2 SRM4s (LA)
DHS, Endo, FF

I use 3 weapon groups: LL, LPL+ML, SRMs. It's fast and maneuverable, so your primary responsibility is to spread damage by torso twisting like a mad man. It will easily deal with anything smaller than a Cataphract. If you can protect your CT until the enemies are softened up, you can still wreck like the old days.

As for my 9M, I'm running this:

XL385
4 LLs

PPCs on the 9M are too much of a liability in PUG land IMO.

#62 Just wanna play

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,520 posts
  • LocationInside the Womb of a Great Turtle

Posted 05 May 2013 - 02:52 PM

which awesome in your opinion is the best?? other then pb, me no haz mc credits

#63 Hex Pallett

• Urban Commando
  • Urban Commando
  • 2,009 posts
  • Twitter: Link
  • LocationHomeless, in the streets of Solaris 7

Posted 05 May 2013 - 09:29 PM

View PostJust wanna play, on 05 May 2013 - 02:52 PM, said:

which awesome in your opinion is the best?? other then pb, me no haz mc credits

8Q for laserparty, 8R for brawl, 9M for glory.

#64 Op4blushift

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Little Helper
  • 149 posts
  • LocationMelbourne, Australia

Posted 05 May 2013 - 10:20 PM

View PostHelmstif, on 05 May 2013 - 09:29 PM, said:

8Q for laserparty, 8R for brawl, 9M for glory.

This, I have these 3 and its been a heap of fun playing them. Sadly the missile nerf has made the 8R a shadow of its former glory since its so reliant on missiles for its main punch. Still, 8Q and most 9M builds still feel pretty viable and I'm hoping the 8R will be useful again once missiles are fixed.

#65 NRP

• Fire
  • Fire
  • 3,949 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

Posted 06 May 2013 - 06:19 AM

Try the 8Q trial mech. If you like it, it has 7 energy hard points. I run 5 chain-fired PPCs on mine, but you can run a variety of energy builds.

#66 Just wanna play

• 1,520 posts

Posted 06 May 2013 - 02:13 PM

View PostNRP, on 06 May 2013 - 06:19 AM, said:

Try the 8Q trial mech. If you like it, it has 7 energy hard points. I run 5 chain-fired PPCs on mine, but you can run a variety of energy builds.

thats exactly what i have been doing, its a fun mech, i like it but i question if the awesome has any real advantages over heavies (specifically the cataphract), especially considering most of these builds (not the srm boats of course) arent much better then what can be done on a 2x

what exactly are the awesomes advantages?

i know some make good lrm boats, but thats not the best thing to make right now....

#67 NRP

• Fire
  • Fire
  • 3,949 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

Posted 06 May 2013 - 04:06 PM

To be brutally honest, I choose mechs by how they look. The Awesome chassis looks good to me. A Cataphract on the other hand is just about the ugliest mech in the game. I have no interest whatsoever in piloting one. It's purely a visual aesthetic thing. If you don't care about that and just want the most effective mech based on paper specs, you probably should look elsewhere. Awesomes are more challenging to pilot effectively; consequently, some of us find it to be a more rewarding experience than piloting whatever conventional wisdom says is the "best" mech. If you don't have confidence in your piloting skills to improvise, adapt, and overcome, you probably should choose an easier mech.

#68 Just wanna play

• 1,520 posts

Posted 06 May 2013 - 04:39 PM

View PostNRP, on 06 May 2013 - 04:06 PM, said:

If you don't have confidence in your piloting skills to improvise, adapt, and overcome, you probably should choose an easier mech.

well the phract imo is just a "junkyard dog" especially the 4x with its all autocannon, suppa slow self

to be completely honest, i dont think it takes that much skill to "fill the chest with smrs, make go fast and hit them in the back" idk why but i always seem to get more kills in the trial awesome then in my phract, might be because it has longer ranged and more precise weapons and we all know how common alpine and tourmaline is these days

no offense or anything, but overall awesomes dont offer much variety in possible set-ups, of course not as single minded as the catapault a1..... (great lrm boat tho, 90 missiles AT ONCE and faster reload then lrm20 boats ;) )

i guess its the "sporting" mech, you play it for the fun and not to have an overwhelming advantage over anything you fight

i guess it does look pretty cool i love how the 8q looks

#69 NRP

• Fire
  • Fire
  • 3,949 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

Posted 06 May 2013 - 07:05 PM

View PostJust wanna play, on 06 May 2013 - 04:39 PM, said:

to be completely honest, i dont think it takes that much skill to "fill the chest with smrs, make go fast and hit them in the back"

Try it.

#70 Traumacher

Rookie

• 1 posts

Posted 08 August 2014 - 02:20 PM

I have a unique take on the 9m.

1LL in arm
1srm6 in arm
2 erppc, 1 in each side torso
1ml in head
2lrm5 in center torso.

The armor/speed/ammo/hs ratio is up to you but here's the trick.... The missile hard points in the center torso are only able to fire two missiles simultaneously, so for each shot, you get three tiny volleys. If you chain fire them, with the lrm5's short cooldown, you can effectively keep a constant stream of fire which almost completely obstructs your opponent's view and keeps their cockpit shaking. Meanwhile your lighting them up with your long range energy weapons. At close range, I recommend grouping the srms with the medium laser. The srms will only fire two at a time, so you'll get an effect similar to that of the lrms. Lastly, with this build, even without both arms and side torsos, you can still hide in the back somewhere, and keep those chain volleys of lrms going, which can really help out your brawlers.

#71 ArmandTulsen

• Ace Of Spades
  • 1,184 posts

Posted 11 August 2014 - 12:32 PM

I'm trying to build the 8R, 8T and 8V.

What's the optimal engine size for a standard engine across all three chassis?

Thanks.

Edited by ArmandTulsen, 11 August 2014 - 12:43 PM.

#72 Blue Hymn

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Urban Commando
  • 294 posts
  • LocationIn an Awesome, blasting you from a distance

Posted 13 August 2014 - 03:50 AM

View PostArmandTulsen, on 11 August 2014 - 12:32 PM, said:

Thanks.

You can usually fit a good range of weapons with a 270 engine. Sometimes the 275 is preferred, just because it offers that one extra heat sink which you can fit in for quicker heat dissipation. However, it all boils down to what type of role you are planning for. If you're indirect fire support with lrms, you can bid for a lower engine than necessary. For brawlers and good turn rates, 270 and above is a good recommendation.

#73 IllCaesar

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 980 posts

Posted 15 August 2014 - 05:07 PM

I'm going to buy my third Awesome this weekend. I'm not sure which one I should choose. I have the 8Q, which I like, and the 8T, which I think is the weakest of the Awesomes. I could get an 8R, which I definitely would like more than the 8T, but the Awesome is the most fragile Assault mech. The 8V and 9M are both appealing in their own ways, so I guess what I'm asking for is opinions on either variant and well they fare in the long run. Right now, the 8V is looking more appealing, due to it having that shield arm, as well as being significantly cheaper, but the high engine cap on the 9M being capped at 385, with the wildly varying hardpoints, makes it capable of carrying more diverse loadouts - but I kind of suck at this game, so the more conventional 8V seems like it'd be an easier mech to get a handle of.

View PostArmandTulsen, on 11 August 2014 - 12:32 PM, said:

Thanks.

A 275 works well, 300 if you want some extra speed in there can facilitate extra heatsinks for the energy-heavy chassis, which can be also useful as the Awesome is generally the most fragile Assault mech, and can't really stand toe-to-toe with anything else in its class, and even some heavies. I don't really like my 8T, which was my second mech, and I think it is the weakest Awesome, so I would advise against it personally, but if you go for that, the best build, in my experience, is something very similar to what is in the OP. I've tried just about every other 8T build I've seen, and really the only one that I don't have mostly negative feelings for is, basically, what is outlined in the OP, with a 250 engine. You don't really want to spend your money on an engine that isn't a multiple of 25 unless you love, love, love that mech, so whichever engine you choose, keep that in mind. Does somebody who has a few Highlanders really want to shell out all that cash for a 330 Engine that can only fit in one of his/her Highlanders?

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users