Why You Want Mechwarrior Online To Be Free-To-Play

Official

605 replies to this topic

#61 Ondax

Rookie

• 2 posts

Posted 04 November 2011 - 07:24 PM

I dunno ive watched FTP ruin some games, ive not played mwarriors in quite a few years. Id love to think that i dont have to be an alien with four arms though to compete properly. Im the lone wolf type. Is it just me, or do i sense the fact that no matter what, ill HAVE to join a lance etc to be competitive and move up? Its not that i mind team play, but quite frankly, most people you pug, dont know *** they're doing. No offense but other games that REQUIRE you to do team play have ruined the idea for me. Just some thoughts to ponder. thanx for listening. GL to MWO and ill def check it out. ONDAX

#62 Razor Kotovsky

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 754 posts
  • Facebook: Link
  • LocationRussian Death Legion, Golden Lion lance lieutenant

Posted 04 November 2011 - 07:37 PM

View PostOndax, on 04 November 2011 - 07:24 PM, said:

I dunno ive watched FTP ruin some games, ive not played mwarriors in quite a few years. Id love to think that i dont have to be an alien with four arms though to compete properly. Im the lone wolf type. Is it just me, or do i sense the fact that no matter what, ill HAVE to join a lance etc to be competitive and move up? Its not that i mind team play, but quite frankly, most people you pug, dont know *** they're doing. No offense but other games that REQUIRE you to do team play have ruined the idea for me. Just some thoughts to ponder. thanx for listening. GL to MWO and ill def check it out. ONDAX
Either work on your people skills (find someone who is actually worthy of your glorious companionship) or slug it out in arenas.

Lone wolves just don't work in vehicle-based pvp.

#63 Bryan Ekman

Creative Director

• Developer
  • Developer
  • 1,106 posts
  • Twitter: Link
  • LocationVancouver, BC

Posted 04 November 2011 - 07:39 PM

View PostDeM0nFiRe, on 04 November 2011 - 07:19 PM, said:

Would be nice if you also gave me a reply on my comments about gameplay close to Mechwarrior 2 than Mechwarrior 4, but I guess you'll give us that info another time? :)

Still, good reply. Looking forward to seeing how this plays out.

Broad strokes, MWO will feel familiar to anyone who has played a PC MechWarrior game before. I don't think it's fair to compare it to a previous game beyond that. We are able to do so much more then 15 or even 8 years ago.

#64 terminator

• PipPipPip
  • 86 posts
  • LocationSan Diego California

Posted 04 November 2011 - 07:39 PM

Sounds good to me... let it begin..

#65 Frantic Pryde

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Nova Commander
  • 714 posts
  • LocationMiami, FL

Posted 04 November 2011 - 08:10 PM

This is great to hear. I know this game is going to be amazing. You will soon have all my money! :)

#66 BLACKFIRE

• PipPipPip
  • The Defiant
  • The Defiant
  • 88 posts
  • LocationSan Antonio

Posted 04 November 2011 - 08:20 PM

Thank ***, I have said it like a thousand times to my friends in WoTs. I tell them over and over Tanks is fun... those new planned games like World of Planes and World of Battleships is ok I guess not my cup of tea however. I kept saying World of Mechwarrior would be sweet, even better to have a MMO with travel for Teams buy dropships and do all the stuff you dreamed of in MW. This is pretty **** close Thanks a ton! Free to play is fine with me I will spend money on 3 things Mechwarrior, Tanks, and a World of Starcraft if it ever happens. Hope this is better then Mechassault 2 Multiplayer, while the concept of conquest was cool the complete LACK of a mechlab was a deal braker.

#67 Nav

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 258 posts
  • LocationMelbourne, Australia

Posted 04 November 2011 - 08:21 PM

View PostBryan Ekman, on 04 November 2011 - 07:39 PM, said:

... We are able to do so much more then 15 or even 8 years ago.

That last bit there is filled with promise! :)

Thanks Bryan and crew for persisting with bringing this to us!

The way i see it, we need to pay for this long awaited experience one way or another. I for one and more than happy to do this. Out of the many genres of games and other interests out there, none can take the place of the Battletech and Mechwarrior universe. I used to read the novels as a teenager and wish that I could actually be a part of that universe and experience it first hand!

Now MWO brings that dream one step closer. Based on what the majority of people are saying here, is that the in-game purchasing should not give an unfair advantage, and I agree.

Having said that I am more than willing to pay money to play this game, and I support the current direction being taken.

Keep up the good work! I look forward to seeing how things continue to progress over time.

PS. Would be great if at some point in the journey, you can start to weave some stories into it....

Edited by Nav, 04 November 2011 - 08:24 PM.

#68 Agent Cooper

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 437 posts
  • Locationbottom left of canaduh

Posted 04 November 2011 - 08:47 PM

I myself have never played a f2p type game before. So I have no basis for comparison but Im still looking forward to MWO.
I just hope that when I log on Im not just dumped in the middle of some huge battle with no idea where I am or what Im supposed to do.
Will there be a starting point/base where Im given a task or mission?

#69 Frantic Pryde

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Nova Commander
  • 714 posts
  • LocationMiami, FL

Posted 04 November 2011 - 08:53 PM

View PostInnerSphereNews, on 04 November 2011 - 03:21 PM, said:

Maybe you're a commander type, who loves to multitask, directing fire support, air strikes, and multiple lances in a mech suitable to that role.

Good to know we will be seeing large scale combat also! I'm guess company sized engagements? That'd be great!

#70 Taurianspy

Rookie

• 1 posts

Posted 04 November 2011 - 08:56 PM

Bryan,

Thanks for your efforts. If you need anything, just ask. There are still some of us 'old dogs' around, and the 'core' is looking for something to put our efforts into.

Tim

#71 Threat Doc

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Bowman
  • The Bowman
  • 3,715 posts
  • LocationO'Shaughnnessy MMW Base, Devon Continent, Rochester, FedCom

Posted 04 November 2011 - 09:10 PM

Sorry, had to take a breather from these forums for a bit... get some Super Mutant killing out of the way in FO3. Love that game... solved it like 9 months ago, and just keep going.

View PostAtlas3060, on 04 November 2011 - 07:23 PM, said:

Someone mentioned Ares Convention, cute because no one really stuck with that after the Succession Wars :)
Okay, in a world where players couldn't care less about the lore of perhaps the greatest game universe ever conceived, yeah, it's cute. As for sticking with it or not, in the lore, novels, etc., they continued to stick with it, never really left it behind, until September 10th, 3049. In the real world, it was adhered to until MWIII: Pirate's Moon came out.

Now, a lot of people are boo-hoo'ing F2P, and my cousin would have to agree with that. He and I have been avid MMO players for a while, now -I won't go into the list, but it's been quite a few, more for him than I- and whenever he or I run into problems with the game, the first words out of his mouth are "It's F2P for a reason." I would really love to be able to rub this game in his face and allow him to find out just how wrong he is.

#72 Gendou

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Fire
  • Fire
  • 2,475 posts

Posted 04 November 2011 - 09:33 PM

View PostBryan Ekman, on 04 November 2011 - 04:03 PM, said:

Define best?

That depends on the game itself.

We don't know how loadouts or customization will work, for example.
Maybe you have to pay extra for Assault 'Mechs, or for Clan 'Mechs, or for OmniMechs, or for particular loadouts (eg: Panther PNT-9R is available for free, or 1000 points ($10) for the PNT-10K) or for any color scheme other than three different shades of green. Maybe you have to pay extra to have more than one 'Mech in your hanger, or for extra pilots (for other houses), or to play as Clan, or to have more than 1000 c-bills in the bank, or to access to auction house.

Again, it all depends on the game's features.

I hope against hope that you guys have figured out a way to make F2P financially feasible that doesn't involve nickel-and-diming the playerbase for everything that isn't a basic light 'Mech. Barring that, I hope you have a 'all you can eat' option that allows players to pay a monthly fee and receive access to all of the 'extra' material without paying extra.

I'm just afraid to hope too hard. I've been burned too often in the past.

#73 DamoclesGuard

• PipPipPip
  • 56 posts
  • LocationStillwater, Oklahoma

Posted 04 November 2011 - 09:47 PM

I'm not going to speculate on the F2P mechanics(mostly because everyone else has already said what I was thinking about)

I just know that I am very excited and pumped for this game. And I'm not going to worry about what cost money, if it will give me an advantage or not because I just simply want to pilot a mech in combat again.

Thanks Bryan for all your(and your team's) hard work, now and future.

#74 Youngblood

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 604 posts
  • LocationGMT -6

Posted 04 November 2011 - 09:51 PM

View Postlyonn, on 04 November 2011 - 03:58 PM, said:

Bryan

you've written a big post but didn't mentionwhat you expect to sell. Lets have some examples of each type of thing

It's been five days since the game was announced, give the man a break.

#75 Paladyne

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 172 posts
  • LocationAndurien

Posted 04 November 2011 - 10:17 PM

something to consider guys where WoT failed EA suceeded with MPBT3025 and from what I have read these devs actually played BT before and very likely (though I doubt they would admit it) played 3025.

What I am talking about is if they do have the macro war like WoT EA had the solution to the WoT problems. In 3025 you were limited to weight class for a given piece of territory. I too was a massive WoT player until cloan wars became all about the biggest tanks with the most money, if you have planets where there is a limitation as to size of units, IE: small planet light mechs only, med planet med mechs only, etc... then you can have a use for the small fry and guarantee that someone will get to play with them.

If you use WoT as a model (which I agree was sooo close to a good one but failed in the end), then please use all available ideas and past experiences with f2p games with item shops. I will say this, the minute the game in WoT became all about ultra competitive I got a bigger wallet, they lost a significant portion of the casual players that paid ocassionally. I know of very competitive units that lost upwards of 75% of their players when they got consistently told "you do not have the biggest toy and do not spend enough on your toys so no participation in clan wars for you.

Also there is precedence for limiting the size of forces on a given map, if you controlled a certain percentage of a planet in many if not most CBT tournaments you were not allowed to drop anything without jump capacity, and nothing over a medium until you established a beachhead. Differing mission requirements also have differing weight limitations. You do not send a lance of Dire Wolves to scout an outpost. If the mission is capture x or locate y, you send in mediums.

This is Battletech/mechwarrior, with the vast array of planets and even larger array of directions you can take at any given moment, then it is not hard for the coders to meet the needs of several playerbase archtypes.

I can go on for a long time having been a long time online gamer in both f2p and p2p games. But basically it is your game to make or break and I will give you the benefit of the doubt because I know it can be done right, the question is simply in the end for me, does his wallet ruin the fun for me in this game because I cannot participate in some aspect because his wallet is fatter and winning means more then enjoying the game.

It is as much players as coders that make or break a game and in my experience there are players that will do everything and anything to win including destroying the game itself. Coders can allecviate alot of this with preemptive actions, but in the end it is our responsibility too.

Good Luck, Good Hunting, and Have Fun all.

#76 FaydeShift

• Pip
  • 17 posts

Posted 04 November 2011 - 10:28 PM

Just so long as there won't be golden LRMs and rainbow PPCs that cost 5 bucks and kill instantly from 15,000 meters or something stupid, I am sold. Seriously, I don't mind allowing people to pay money for some things instead of working for them. What I DONT want to see is special kill-everyone items that only a fat wallet can buy. Combat Arms I think is a good example. I feel like unless you actually pay some kind of monthly fee of 5-10 bucks, you're stuck with 2 or 3 weapons which suck, and very few options as to carry on items. Fun game, but ruined by pay-to-win evilness.

F2P = awesome. I can't wait till it comes out!

#77 CrescentHawk

• PipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 77 posts

Posted 04 November 2011 - 11:08 PM

I think the F2P system sounds good. If real money can buy cosmetic things or just different mechs and the like I don't believe it will cause a problem, but they should not allow special ammo to be purchased with real world money only. Someone mentioned earlier that mechs of a similar weight are generally comparable to each other and I would agree with this. So having some mechs be premium doesn't bother me and if there was a mech that I really wanted I wouldn't hesitate to pay for it. Similarly to the ammo I don't think there should be equipment that can only be obtained with real world money. Different mechs are fine but I don't want to see the only way to get things like MASC, ECM, etc... to be with real world money. This would give paying players and unfair edge but they have already said that nothing you will be able to buy will do that so I'm not worried.

#78 Gray Death2

• Pip
  • 13 posts
  • LocationJoplin, Missouri.

Posted 04 November 2011 - 11:40 PM

F2P = WIN. I WOULD like to know what, exactly will be paid for by the players and what will be available to players, like me, that just don't have the liquid assets to have their mech's armor gold plated.

#79 Cyber Carns

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Knight Errant
  • Knight Errant
  • 203 posts
  • LocationArc Royal

Posted 04 November 2011 - 11:41 PM

View Postrollermint, on 04 November 2011 - 03:33 PM, said:

That sound alright, pretty good.

But we are going to wait to hear the exact details first though :) We still don't know what we can or can't buy with real money. Can we buy superior weapons? Superior armor? superior engines et c etc? The infamous "gold" ammo?

I hope thats not the case though. I don't mind buying certain special mechs with real money though, since no mechs are superior than every other mechs. Besides the Lowes and T59s of WOT doesn't seem to be that good, anyway. No, gold ammo or components. Please.

I do wish this game to be a huge success. I really do.

I have to agree with your statement. Also they have made it so that if you want to make money and move up in tiers you HAVE to spend real money anymore. It seems that they are olny interested in MAKING people pay to advance.

#80 Cyber Carns

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Knight Errant
  • Knight Errant
  • 203 posts
  • LocationArc Royal

Posted 04 November 2011 - 11:51 PM

View PostTyra, on 04 November 2011 - 04:48 PM, said:

My wife colors comics for a living, so customization is a big thing for us XD

I've got her sold on SWTOR (wasn't hard, we MET in WoW) but I'm having trouble selling her on Battletech :D

Go to youtube, there is plenty of BT and MW stuff to look at. Show her visually and she'll get it :)

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users