284 replies to this topic

#41 sicarii

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 101 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

Posted 24 May 2012 - 10:51 PM

View PostFoxiestFox, on 24 May 2012 - 10:50 PM, said:

Hahaha, I love 40K too. Brilliant.

Me too. Depressed when 40K online got cancelled...but MW online will more than make up for that.

#42 John Clavell

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,609 posts

Posted 24 May 2012 - 10:51 PM

Because they made one BIG mistake. They attacked MY HOME PLANET!

#43 FoxiestFox

• PipPip
  • The Warrior
  • 44 posts

Posted 24 May 2012 - 10:53 PM

View Postsicarii, on 24 May 2012 - 10:51 PM, said:

Me too. Depressed when 40K online got cancelled...but MW online will more than make up for that.

Dark Millennium got cancelled?! Nooo.

#44 sicarii

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 101 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

Posted 24 May 2012 - 10:54 PM

View PostFoxiestFox, on 24 May 2012 - 10:53 PM, said:

Dark Millennium got cancelled?! Nooo.

Yeah bro. I couldnt' believe it either. They are taking it in a "new direction"...whatever that means.

#45 theginganinja

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Philanthropist
  • Philanthropist
  • 192 posts
  • LocationMinnesota

Posted 24 May 2012 - 10:55 PM

View PostMortarionX, on 24 May 2012 - 10:38 PM, said:

Wow did not know it was such as sensitive topic. Still quite interesting. So I have read a few MW books and apprently Clanners are genetically engineered. Exactly how did the Clans start and why did the invade the IS?

K... As short version as I can manage...
~250 years before when this game was set, all the successor houses were part of a sort of future-UN called the Star League. This guy called Stefan Amaris decided to shake things up a bit, killed off the leaders of the Star League, and basically started taking over the Inner Sphere. The primary general in the Star League peacekeeping forces didn't like that much, so he invited anyone else that shared his feelings to leave the Inner Sphere for good.
Eventually, his armada found a cluster of inhabitable star systems, and set up shop. They divided into a bunch of Clans, based on totem animals that represented their ideals.
A couple hundred years of alternating war and extreme technological advancement (as well as some scouting parties into the Inner Sphere, most prominent of which was the Wolf's Dragoons) later, they had split into two camps.
The Crusaders believed the Inner Sphere (dominated by constant civil war that had not only prevented, but actually REVERSED technological advancement) to be a bunch of barbarians who needed to be conquered. They wanted to immediately invade, set up their own Star League, and bring civilization back to the Inner Sphere no matter the cost.
The Wardens, meanwhile believed that the Inner Sphere had the capacity to bring itself back to civilization, with aid from the Clans. They wanted to hold off invading until a more opportune time, when they could gradually introduce themselves into the Inner Sphere's world. Alternatively, they were also willing to not invade at all, instead just offering the Inner Sphere their help.
The Crusaders were winning the political contests by far, and it was pretty much inevitable that the Inner Sphere would be invaded. The leader of the primary Warden clan (Clan Wolf), however, managed to be elected "ilKahn" - effectively king of the Clans. He decided that the Clans would invade, with the hope that a Warden clan will achieve the ultimate goal of seizing Terra (whichever clan accomplishes this takes control of the Clans in general, and can pretty much direct things as they want).
So, the invasion is on its way now, and we'll find out in a year how things will go :(

If anyone notices any mistakes in this, let me know and I will happily correct them - I'm going off of a probably faulty memory here lol

Edited by irishwarrior, 24 May 2012 - 10:55 PM.

#46 FoxiestFox

• PipPip
  • The Warrior
  • 44 posts

Posted 24 May 2012 - 10:56 PM

View Postsicarii, on 24 May 2012 - 10:54 PM, said:

Yeah bro. I couldnt' believe it either. They are taking it in a "new direction"...whatever that means.

I'm sad now. At least MWO is still going strong I guess.

#47 Mercurial

• PipPipPip
  • 86 posts

Posted 24 May 2012 - 10:59 PM

Here's a good example: This is a Marauder:

http://www.sarna.net...rauder#Armament

75 tons, twin PPCs, an AC5 and a pair of medium lasers--it was a fairly popular IS mech that pumped out a lot of damage (at the cost of heat and being a little light on armor). Maximum damage on the mech if it alpha'd was about 45 if everything hit. There were some later upgrades the Mech would get in later editions to bring it in line.

Meanwhile, this is the Stormcrow B: http://www.sarna.net...ow_%28Ryoken%29 Some people may cry foul because it's not the Stormcrow Prime, but this was a variant that was released alongside of Clans--clans early on could pick and choose at their leisure. It's maximum damage was over 70. It has two tons less armor, has none of the heat problems the Marauder does, and oh--it's also twenty tons lighter.

If people take issue with this particular comparison I'm pretty sure someone can find something egregious. Like a light mech with frigging twin ER PPCS and a targeting computer.

Edited by Mercurial, 24 May 2012 - 11:00 PM.

#48 Rejarial Galatan

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 4,312 posts
  • LocationOutter Periphery

Posted 24 May 2012 - 11:00 PM

<sputters> Marik is not a Clan, its a House or something like that, but NOT a Clan.

#49 Hawkeye 72

• 1,890 posts
  • Google+: Link
  • Facebook: Link
  • LocationArcadia

Posted 24 May 2012 - 11:00 PM

View PostMortarionX, on 24 May 2012 - 10:38 PM, said:

Wow did not know it was such as sensitive topic. Still quite interesting. So I have read a few MW books and apprently Clanners are genetically engineered. Exactly how did the Clans start and why did the invade the IS?

It is a very sensitive topic. Many forum flamewars have been fought over the Clans

#50 Sigismund45316

Rookie

• 3 posts

Posted 24 May 2012 - 11:01 PM

yea I needed that. lol. sorry its late and i cant even realize what I'm typing. Yea they were one of the Houses.

#51 Rejarial Galatan

• Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 4,312 posts

Posted 24 May 2012 - 11:01 PM

Yup, and I have the burn marks on my 'character' to prove it lol

glad to help sig

#52 Vulpesveritas

• 3,003 posts
  • LocationWinsconsin, USA

Posted 24 May 2012 - 11:03 PM

View PostRejarial Galatan, on 24 May 2012 - 10:47 PM, said:

and the IS wonders why we of clan wolf are your sole hope? you IS freeborns cannot be trusted to handle your stuff, let us get to terra, and we will hold your hands as the ilClan and bring peace to you. shhh now, its all right, Clan Wolf is here.

Any fox who hopes to survive knows never to trust a wolf; so too are the inner sphere worlds smart to just say no to a system based on slavery of a portion of populace being viewed as being superior to another.
Which while sadly is the case anyhow, we at least have easier ways to argue about it and discussing it is rarely considered polite or acceptable, while portions of the so called 'lower classes' plan revolts to take their proper place of equality amongst all sentient beings.

Though at least you guys are better than those nutcase jade falcons. >.>

#53 Woodstock

• Mercenary
  • Mercenary
  • 1,166 posts
  • LocationKrakow

Posted 24 May 2012 - 11:04 PM

I don't really hate them ...well yes I do ... but its not because of anything specific.

They are just boring.

we only ever see one side to them ... the characters are sooo similar ..they think the same ... they act the same ... they look the same. Their mechs .(awesomely powerful yes) but they are ugly, Well not all of them but they are so ... omni. Interchangeable .

There is no colour to the clans.

When the books started talking about the clans they lost a lot of their interest. I would skim read the clan parts and study the IS ones.

#54 Arikiel

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 220 posts

Posted 24 May 2012 - 11:05 PM

Because they're OP. With base tech you actually had to plan and think. You simply couldn't have it all. You'd have to make sacrifices to find a balance that works. With Clan tech you get everything without any real drawbacks. It's all like "look how fancy and shiny and nifty I am. I bet you're impressed awesomeness". Actually I'm not. That whole power gamer mentality is very unappealing to me. It suggests to me that someone is very juvenile or lacking in self-confidence..... but then I'm horribly biased so you should probably just ignore me. :(

#55 FoxiestFox

• PipPip
  • The Warrior
  • 44 posts

Posted 24 May 2012 - 11:06 PM

View PostVulpesveritas, on 24 May 2012 - 11:03 PM, said:

Any fox who hopes to survive knows never to trust a wolf; so too are the inner sphere worlds smart to just say no to a system based on slavery of a portion of populace being viewed as being superior to another.
Which while sadly is the case anyhow, we at least have easier ways to argue about it and discussing it is rarely considered polite or acceptable, while portions of the so called 'lower classes' plan revolts to take their proper place of equality amongst all sentient beings.

Did someone say fox?

#56 DireWolf307

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 404 posts
  • LocationSt. Ives, St. Ives Compact

Posted 24 May 2012 - 11:06 PM

View PostVulpesveritas, on 24 May 2012 - 11:03 PM, said:

Ain't that the truth.

#57 Rejarial Galatan

• Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 4,312 posts

Posted 24 May 2012 - 11:07 PM

Warriors above all else. That simple. If you are not a Warrior, you are beneath us. That simple. The lower castes learn their places, and serve us. We are the shepherds that guide those below us, we protect them, we fight so they do not have to. We are your last best hope.

#58 CycKath

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 2,575 posts
  • Google+: Link
  • LocationSE QLD, Australia

Posted 24 May 2012 - 11:07 PM

Hate is fluff/culture based

#59 Snotling

• PipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 50 posts
  • LocationGermany

Posted 24 May 2012 - 11:09 PM

My problem with the cals is that their lore is clearly written for twelve year olds. A caste of (mostly) good looking warriors that **** each other alle the time....come one.....

#60 Aethon

• Mercenary
  • 2,037 posts
  • LocationSt. Louis, Niles, Kerensky Cluster

Posted 24 May 2012 - 11:10 PM

View PostWilliam Petersen, on 24 May 2012 - 10:46 PM, said:

This always amused me. Contractions are evil because they're a desecration and laziness. What, pray tell, are "quiaff", "quineg", and "ristar" then? Contractions are evil, but portmanteaus, they're okey, despite the fact that they're the same thing without an apostrophe.

I agree. There's more than one reason I like the Hell's Horses. :(

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users