#141 Oderint dum Metuant

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 4,758 posts
  • LocationUnited Kingdom

Posted 22 January 2013 - 09:15 AM

View PostKylere, on 22 January 2013 - 05:16 AM, said:

DV McKenna, you seem to feel that playing all the Mech games gives you some sort of knowledge. I broke the shrinkwrap on the TT game in the early 80's and have played every mech game since. I hate to break the bad news to you, but you only impress yourself by bragging about your "long" experience.

It does give me knowledge your right, you see to play to a high standard, to mix with the best units and be competitive against them, you have to have several things, a desire too, the skill too and finally an understanding.

The first two are fairly self explanatory, the understanding comes in dissecting the game, understanding the mechanics, understanding the angles each mech can shoot from, what it's arms can clear with minimal exposure, the optimal weapon ranges where they do the most damage to the point they become just knowledge and you don't have to think about them during a game.
You'll find, that while the game itself and the name above the door has changed, the mechanics at least at their core level are still much the same as the old games.

I used to play with some bat crazy guy, who used to coin the phrase " Play more get better " at every available opportunity he could, sad thing is he was only half right people played MW4 for 5,6,7 years and some people after that time were still and still are super terrible at it, not because they didn't play it enough they just never cared to learn to play it properly.

View PostKriestov, on 22 January 2013 - 05:42 AM, said:

P.S. McKenna, there is a reason I don't post on the MWO forums very often. This is one of those reasons. You can come from a position of strengh, and talk until your blue in the face and it won't make a bit of difference. :)

No, that's entirely correct, but we have to try for the children! else the super bad's will always teach them to be super bad!
And where would these games be without people like us?
A world...of terabad players happy with just playing " for fun"

Edited by DV McKenna, 22 January 2013 - 09:15 AM.

#142 ICEFANG13

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 1,718 posts

Posted 22 January 2013 - 09:16 AM

A world where everyone plays just for fun, what a terrible world indeed.

#143 BoyWonder

• PipPipPip
  • 68 posts
  • LocationFlorduh

Posted 22 January 2013 - 09:17 AM

View PostDV McKenna, on 22 January 2013 - 09:15 AM, said:

It does give me knowledge your right, you see to play to a high standard, to mix with the best units and be competitive against them, you have to have several things, a desire too, the skill too and finally an understanding.

The first two are fairly self explanatory, the understanding comes in dissecting the game, understanding the mechanics, understanding the angles each mech can shoot from, what it's arms can clear with minimal exposure, the optimal weapon ranges where they do the most damage to the point they become just knowledge and you don't have to think about them during a game.
You'll find, that while the game itself and the name above the door has changed, the mechanics at least at their core level are still much the same as the old games.

I used to play with some bat crazy guy, who used to coin the phrase " Play more get better " at every available opportunity he could, sad thing is he was only half right people played MW4 for 5,6,7 years and some people after that time were still and still are super terrible at it, not because they didn't play it enough they just never cared to learn to play it properly.

No, that's entirely correct, but we have to try for the children! else the super bad's will always teach them to be super bad!
And where would these games be without people like us?
A world...of terabad players happy with just playing " for fun"

My sig is so pretty

#144 Oderint dum Metuant

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 4,758 posts
  • LocationUnited Kingdom

Posted 22 January 2013 - 09:17 AM

View PostchiXnhawk, on 22 January 2013 - 05:47 AM, said:

He means me... Machine maybe...

You guys make the kill order for your team..so terribly indecisive

#145 chiXnhawk

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 624 posts
  • LocationNew Jersey

Posted 22 January 2013 - 10:03 AM

I humbly accept your challenge. I play this game to win for KaoS but I also do it to be the best at what I enjoy most. 800m death to the face with nothing but a line of text to tell you it was me shooting you in the face. Machine and I are the sniping pinoeers of KaoS. The long range game is not dead. Not by a long shot. Get it.

#146 TwisTed94

• PipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 21 posts

Posted 06 February 2013 - 10:44 PM

View PostAlaric the Arcane, on 21 January 2013 - 06:55 AM, said:

I'm not sure what your point is. PGI can barely manage to develop this game as it is, let alone manage some sort of official competitive aspect at this point.

You have exactly made my point. No official PGI rankings exist. Therefore when people who go around stating that they are part of top rated teams I just don't see how that holds any weight.

#147 Corvus Antaka

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Knight Errant
  • Knight Errant
  • 8,310 posts
  • Twitch: Link
  • LocationInner Sphere

Posted 06 February 2013 - 10:45 PM

The LRM game is certainly dead.

#148 TwisTed94

• PipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 21 posts

Posted 06 February 2013 - 10:49 PM

View PostxZaOx, on 21 January 2013 - 07:50 AM, said:

Uhm its a community run tournament that was stickied in the MWO forums, which Russ Bullock supported, and constantly posted in. All the top MWO tier teams are in it. Most these teams are from MW2-4.

How about this link which MWO posted of the finals of that tourney? Which first broke the NDA and allowed people to post videos.
http://mwomercs.com/...your-best-shot/

Sit down son.

What about it? This link still does not show me any evidence that You are on a "Top Rated Team" as you stated. PGI supported the independant tournament because they just do not have the recources to develop the game and run tournaments. They are right to not try. It does not make any sense to even think about rating teams or individuals in a game that is !!!STILL IN BETA!!!!

Class dismissed.

#149 TwisTed94

• PipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 21 posts

Posted 06 February 2013 - 11:03 PM

View PostColonel Pada Vinson, on 06 February 2013 - 10:45 PM, said:

The LRM game is certainly dead.

I respectfully disagree. I still average @800-850 damage with 1 to 4 kills per match in my LRM, ECM, TAG, D-DC Atlas. However, I do back it all up with an autocannon. :)

#150 Wispsy

• Talon
  • Talon
  • 2,007 posts

Posted 06 February 2013 - 11:17 PM

lol

You only look silly questioning DV McKenna on this btw.

#151 Panzerman03

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 144 posts

Posted 06 February 2013 - 11:36 PM

We run a mix of fire support heavies and brawler assaults, with enough firepower at any engagement range. We won 28 straight 8-man matches Saturday night with our setup, and they almost all ended with a face-stomp brawl.

#152 chiXnhawk

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 624 posts
  • LocationNew Jersey

Posted 07 February 2013 - 12:00 AM

View PostPanzerman03, on 06 February 2013 - 11:36 PM, said:

We run a mix of fire support heavies and brawler assaults, with enough firepower at any engagement range. We won 28 straight 8-man matches Saturday night with our setup, and they almost all ended with a face-stomp brawl.

lol

#153 Corvus Antaka

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Knight Errant
  • Knight Errant
  • 8,310 posts
  • Twitch: Link
  • LocationInner Sphere

Posted 07 February 2013 - 12:39 AM

View PostTwisTed94, on 06 February 2013 - 11:03 PM, said:

I respectfully disagree. I still average @800-850 damage with 1 to 4 kills per match in my LRM, ECM, TAG, D-DC Atlas. However, I do back it all up with an autocannon. :)

If you do in 8 man premades then your enemy is doing something very wrong. Sorry, but 4 mans and pug games just dont count. I too can easily crack 1K dmg in a PUG match with an LRM boat.

#154 Training Instructor

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,218 posts
  • LocationMoscow

Posted 07 February 2013 - 01:31 AM

Hrm, the couple of 8 mans I've done lately, which in no way qualifies me to give a 100% opinion, I've seen some teams with brawlers, some with DDC lrm boats, and some with ECM cover+ snipers.

That last category included most of the teams that really rolled us. Simply put, a couple of heavy/assault snipers who are good shots will core out the brawling team pretty quickly, or at least strip a lot of front torso armor off of them before they close range. At that point, the sniper team just cores them out one by one with focus fire. You'll notice your paper doll will be mostly untouched except for the big hole in the center after you die, and when you spectate your teammates you'll be seeing the same thing.

3 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 3 guests, 0 anonymous users