#681 Darkhorse13Golf

• PipPipPip
  • Survivor
  • Survivor
  • 85 posts
  • LocationNew Pensacola, Les Halles

Posted 06 December 2016 - 09:59 PM

View PostNRP, on 06 December 2016 - 09:50 PM, said:

Geezuz, when did Void's thread get turned into a pissing contest?

Beats me, thought we were talking about a game, lol.

#682 IraqiWalker

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 9,682 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

Posted 06 December 2016 - 11:43 PM

Let me get this straight:

People are confusing real world, with video games, now?

#683 Void Angel

• The Marauder
  • The Marauder
  • 6,604 posts
  • LocationParanoiaville

Posted 07 December 2016 - 12:14 PM

View PostWintersdark, on 06 December 2016 - 09:36 PM, said:

That's such a bizarrely American thing right there.

Actually, he says he's from Canada, or something? I deleted the message.

View PostNRP, on 06 December 2016 - 09:50 PM, said:

Geezuz, when did Void's thread get turned into a pissing contest?

Page 2, actually. Remember that one guy going on about Sun Tzu? =)

#684 Darkhorse13Golf

• PipPipPip
  • Survivor
  • Survivor
  • 85 posts
  • LocationNew Pensacola, Les Halles

Posted 07 December 2016 - 09:48 PM

I've seen Goof on other threads and he is invariably a jerk.

#685 Void Angel

• The Marauder
  • The Marauder
  • 6,604 posts
  • LocationParanoiaville

Posted 08 December 2016 - 10:13 PM

Some people are like that - I just take them as they come.

#686 ElCadaver

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Wrath
  • Wrath
  • 163 posts
  • LocationAustralia

Posted 08 December 2016 - 10:32 PM

I approve of the OP's post.

You can win many ways. Every sacrificing yourself sometimes for the greater good, if your team mates capitalize on it

Communication is king

#687 Cold Darkness

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bridesmaid
  • Bridesmaid
  • 290 posts

Posted 09 December 2016 - 04:32 AM

View PostEvil Goof, on 06 December 2016 - 05:45 PM, said:

Spelling error aside no the dictionary does not disagree with me.
noun
lack of courage to face danger, difficulty, opposition, pain, etc.

Your excellent spelling skills aside, please work on basic comprehension.

IN A VIDEO GAME YOU ARE RISKING NOTHING.

there. just in case your basic comprehension skills did fail you while making your post.
just because it is indeed in a virtual world, does not equal it does not apply.

#688 Evil Goof

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • The Silent Killer
  • The Silent Killer
  • 162 posts

Posted 10 December 2016 - 02:09 AM

View PostCold Darkness, on 09 December 2016 - 04:32 AM, said:

there. just in case your basic comprehension skills did fail you while making your post.
just because it is indeed in a virtual world, does not equal it does not apply.

Listen close. Mensa will not be knocking at your door. You can climb down off that horse as you are absolutely not making the clear and definitive argument you believe you are. So I will lay it out for you again.

Just as you would not talk to someone in person as you are madly typing from the safety of your keyboard, because you are risking nothing. You wouldn't be so arrogant and condescending because in real life you would be risking the likelihood of someone slapping you around. It goes the same for people risking literally nothing in a video game. If you care to there are studies that expand on internet behaviour and dive into the topic much deeper than I am willing to. You may not feel it is true, however it is considered pretty much universally accepted that people are extremely "brave" from the safety of anonymity and when they are not risking anything....

Good luck trying to disprove that however as I am quite sure your pseudo intellectual self is bound to try and do.

Take care and have a wonderful day.

PS. Mensa is a group for smart people...

Edited by Evil Goof, 10 December 2016 - 02:40 AM.

#689 Blind Baku

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 286 posts

Posted 10 December 2016 - 07:55 AM

View PostEvil Goof, on 10 December 2016 - 02:09 AM, said:

...You may not feel it is true, however it is considered pretty much universally accepted that people are extremely "brave" from the safety of anonymity and when they are not risking anything....

1 - Thanks for giving an older very relevant post a lot of new bumpage.
2 - You are absolutely right in regards to internet anonymity and brashness, etc... except it doesn't apply to this application.

While you're absolutely right about people commenting in threads on forums, or youtube comment sections, etc... it doesn't always apply in a situation like this, especially at lower tiers. If you need evidence of this pick a long range ECM build and watch people freeze up when the simulated pressure is put on.

Is it remotely comparable to an IRL scenario where actual, physical pain might occur? No. But the neckbeard bravery of the keyboard is more specific to talking **** that to decisive actions in game, at least in my experience.

#690 Void Angel

• The Marauder
  • The Marauder
  • 6,604 posts
  • LocationParanoiaville

Posted 10 December 2016 - 12:30 PM

You mean like literally every post Goofy has made in this thread?

#691 Wintersdark

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,375 posts
  • Google+: Link
  • Twitter: Link
  • LocationCalgary, AB

Posted 10 December 2016 - 12:40 PM

View PostEvil Goof, on 10 December 2016 - 02:09 AM, said:

Listen close. Mensa will not be knocking at your door. You can climb down off that horse as you are absolutely not making the clear and definitive argument you believe you are. So I will lay it out for you again.

Just as you would not talk to someone in person as you are madly typing from the safety of your keyboard, because you are risking nothing. You wouldn't be so arrogant and condescending because in real life you would be risking the likelihood of someone slapping you around.

If I where playing football with a linesman who refused to rush the opposing team and instead ducked behind his teammates, I'd absolutely call him a coward. He needs to step up for the good of the team.

It goes the same for people risking literally nothing in a video game. If you care to there are studies that expand on internet behaviour and dive into the topic much deeper than I am willing to. You may not feel it is true, however it is considered pretty much universally accepted that people are extremely "brave" from the safety of anonymity and when they are not risking anything....
And yet, while you feel they are risking nothing, we still have players hanging back and being too timid out of fear of taking damage or being "killed" in the game. They ARE afraid; they don't want to lose, they don't want to get a poor score, they want to keep their position on the leaderboards, they don't want to look "bad". So, even in a game where they are not actually risking anything, fear is motivating them to make poor choices to the detriment of their teammates. That's very much cowardice in my books.

Arguing that their fear is illogical is silly. Fear is VERY OFTEN illogical. You don't need real consequences to have real fear of something.

#692 Evil Goof

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • The Silent Killer
  • The Silent Killer
  • 162 posts

Posted 10 December 2016 - 01:23 PM

View PostBlind Baku, on 10 December 2016 - 07:55 AM, said:

1 - Thanks for giving an older very relevant post a lot of new bumpage.
2 - You are absolutely right in regards to internet anonymity and brashness, etc... except it doesn't apply to this application.

While you're absolutely right about people commenting in threads on forums, or youtube comment sections, etc... it doesn't always apply in a situation like this, especially at lower tiers. If you need evidence of this pick a long range ECM build and watch people freeze up when the simulated pressure is put on.

Is it remotely comparable to an IRL scenario where actual, physical pain might occur? No. But the neckbeard bravery of the keyboard is more specific to talking **** that to decisive actions in game, at least in my experience.

I am going to disagree with you. Why? Well you mention lower tiers and the what not. This does not make someone a coward it makes them either inexperienced or bad. No one is trembling in fear behind their monitor. Not knowing how to react or what to do because the pixels and screen shake confuse you is not the same thing as being a coward. You can teach most that you can push through ac/2 fire or lrms and have a chance at success winning the game. This would absolutely not be teaching bravery. There is a huge difference.

Please think about separating real life and the pressure of a video game. Freezing up is real in any situation that someone is new or inexperienced in. Please do not encourage trolls screaming over comms that people are cowards for not pushing in on a brawl. It's a game.

We can all get caught up in the battle raging for the Inner Sphere. Lots and lots of passionate and invested people around these parts. Some of that is great and adds to the appeal of this game. Again however it would be really positive if we as a community stood up to the digital Rambo's screaming obscenities into their mic while exhulting their own greatness.

#693 Evil Goof

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • The Silent Killer
  • The Silent Killer
  • 162 posts

Posted 10 December 2016 - 01:30 PM

View PostWintersdark, on 10 December 2016 - 12:40 PM, said:

If I where playing football with a linesman who refused to rush the opposing team and instead ducked behind his teammates, I'd absolutely call him a coward. He needs to step up for the good of the team.

And yet, while you feel they are risking nothing, we still have players hanging back and being too timid out of fear of taking damage or being "killed" in the game. They ARE afraid; they don't want to lose, they don't want to get a poor score, they want to keep their position on the leaderboards, they don't want to look "bad". So, even in a game where they are not actually risking anything, fear is motivating them to make poor choices to the detriment of their teammates. That's very much cowardice in my books.

Arguing that their fear is illogical is silly. Fear is VERY OFTEN illogical. You don't need real consequences to have real fear of something.

Oh god...really? Again if you are playing football (which I have while living in Texas) you are risking real injury and real pain. Kind of frightening that you can't differentiate the difference.

To give another ridiculous analogy because, well it doesn't matter because you are all in and unable to accept that you are wrong. If a person didn't let their cat outside because they were affraid to lose their cat...you wouldn't call them a coward over their fear. Or maybe you would because well, you're ridiculous.

#694 Evil Goof

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • The Silent Killer
  • The Silent Killer
  • 162 posts

Posted 10 December 2016 - 01:37 PM

View PostVoid Angel, on 10 December 2016 - 12:30 PM, said:

You mean like literally every post Goofy has made in this thread?

Do you care to clarify that statement or would you rather just try and infer something?

Again people like you make me sick. It is a video game and you calling people cowards over it or pseudo analysing the psychology behind it makes you a collosal joke.

That you claim military service on top of that to inforce your nonsense is also incredibly offensive.

So continue your brave and fictional push into the inner sphere while calling people who don't play the way you think they should play cowards. I know there is nothing that will get you to come to reason that this sort of thinking is absurd and calling people cowards over a video or believing risking your pixelated robot means you are brave is a special kind of stupid...

#695 Tesunie

• The Seeker
  • The Seeker
  • 8,579 posts
  • LocationSeraphim HQ: Asuncion

Posted 10 December 2016 - 01:38 PM

Guys (though he is providing free bumbs), it might be best to just place Evil Goof on your ignore list, and do just that. He's just a troll, and he's admitted as much in another thread. He will never understand any subject he doesn't wish to understand, and he will not debate any subject he is talking about.

To debate one needs to converse. To converse, one needs to talk and listen. He will talk, but he will never listen. Thus, he will never be able to debate or converse on a subject.

#696 Wintersdark

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,375 posts
  • Google+: Link
  • Twitter: Link
  • LocationCalgary, AB

Posted 10 December 2016 - 01:48 PM

View PostTesunie, on 10 December 2016 - 01:38 PM, said:

Guys (though he is providing free bumbs), it might be best to just place Evil Goof on your ignore list, and do just that. He's just a troll, and he's admitted as much in another thread. He will never understand any subject he doesn't wish to understand, and he will not debate any subject he is talking about.

To debate one needs to converse. To converse, one needs to talk and listen. He will talk, but he will never listen. Thus, he will never be able to debate or converse on a subject.
Clearly. *Shrugs* well, I've yet to see him post anything of any value whatsoever, so I figure it's pretty safe to do that.

After all, this wasn't even as Interesting as the Sun Tzu tirade back in the day.

#697 Tesunie

• The Seeker
  • The Seeker
  • 8,579 posts
  • LocationSeraphim HQ: Asuncion

Posted 10 December 2016 - 01:54 PM

View PostWintersdark, on 10 December 2016 - 01:48 PM, said:

Clearly. *Shrugs* well, I've yet to see him post anything of any value whatsoever, so I figure it's pretty safe to do that.

After all, this wasn't even as Interesting as the Sun Tzu tirade back in the day.

I recall that one. Person claimed to be a master of strategy, because he read Sun Tzu's book on war. Then didn't understand the difference between timid (refusing to move forwards and risk taking damage) and peeking out to deal damage and utilizing terrain...

#698 Void Angel

• The Marauder
  • The Marauder
  • 6,604 posts
  • LocationParanoiaville

Posted 10 December 2016 - 02:14 PM

Yeah - it was actually his abuse of Sun Tzu that really annoyed me. =)

As for Goofy, yeah, it's best not to respond - he just amps up the egotistical insults, babbles about how a specious definition he made up for a word that only appears once invalidates the entire guide, and just generally tries to assert his dominance by yelling at people on a forum.

He doesn't have anything worthwhile to say, and we're perfectly capable of bumping the thread ourselves if we desire. Just don't feed the troll.

#699 Evil Goof

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • The Silent Killer
  • The Silent Killer
  • 162 posts

Posted 10 December 2016 - 02:24 PM

View PostTesunie, on 10 December 2016 - 01:38 PM, said:

I have conversed, I have pointed out the absurdity of calling people cowards in a video games or thinking that playing MWO makes you brave.

There is nothing trolling about that.

I get really offended by people calling people cowards in a video game. I strongly believe it is wrong and poorly thought out to do so.

What exactly is there to debate about that? You really think you can debate that playing MWO makes someone brave...the answer is that you absolutely can't.

#700 Jay Leon Hart

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Spear
  • The Spear
  • 4,669 posts

Posted 10 December 2016 - 02:25 PM

View PostEvil Goof, on 10 December 2016 - 02:24 PM, said:

I have conversed, I have pointed out the absurdity of calling people cowards in a video games or thinking that playing MWO makes you brave.

Please provide a quote from this thread, I must have missed that gem.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users