The Secret Behind Pgi's Double Xp Weekend...

48 replies to this topic

#21 CDLord HHGD

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 9,190 posts
  • Location"You're not comp if you're not stock."

Posted 19 January 2013 - 04:34 AM

View PostValore, on 19 January 2013 - 04:32 AM, said:

That's an exact match to when my problems started as well. Just after New Years, slightly before the patch before the Spider one.

Yup.

Getting higher ping and tons more rubber-banding.

#22 o0Marduk0o

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 4,231 posts
  • LocationBerlin, Germany

Posted 19 January 2013 - 04:39 AM

View PostValore, on 19 January 2013 - 04:06 AM, said:

Okay. Then explain 1:19 where the missiles and AC round flies off at an angle where my reticule is ;)

I average 800 damage a round in most brawlers. After the New Year, its gone down to around 80 because of the rubberbanding. That's all it is.

Also may want to consider how possible it is it might be someone not bothering to hit 'R' anymore, because he's had 3 weeks or so of crappy rubberbanding, and command delay means hitting 'r' takes 1 - 2 seconds to register.

They shoot there where your crosshair was before and you probably hit the trigger before. With 1-2sec delay to register R you have bad lag and it would explain a lot what you see in your video. The point is, the problem is caused by your connection, not the game itself because many others experience non of those issues.
Rubberbanding is one thing, I see no rubberbanding of enemy mechs (beside the raven a littlebit) in your video and rubberbanding is only an issue when you try to target someone who is rubberbanding, not for yourself.

Edited by o0Marduk0o, 19 January 2013 - 04:41 AM.

#23 Valore

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Resolute
  • The Resolute
  • 1,255 posts

Posted 19 January 2013 - 04:43 AM

View Posto0Marduk0o, on 19 January 2013 - 04:39 AM, said:

They shoot there where your crosshair was before and you probably hit the trigger before. With 1-2sec delay to register R you have bad lag and it would explain a lot what you see in your video. The point is, the problem is caused by your connection, not the game itself because many others experience non of those issues.
Rubberbanding is one thing, I see no rubberbanding of enemy mechs (beside the raven a littlebit) in your video and rubberbanding is only an issue when you try to target someone who is rubberbanding, not for yourself.

And how about when I try to shoot the Stalker at 1:50? Here's a clue: I'm not using a trackball, I did not swish my mouse over and around him twice for fun. ;)

And you can see several people stating the problems started around the exact same time. More co-incidence I suppose.

Edited by Valore, 19 January 2013 - 04:44 AM.

#24 regis mk5

• PipPipPip
  • 52 posts
  • LocationUK

Posted 19 January 2013 - 04:49 AM

PGI server stress test.....tihs is why ur lagging ;) lolz

Posted Image

#25 Protoculture

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 428 posts

Posted 19 January 2013 - 05:24 AM

View PostGODzillaGSPB, on 19 January 2013 - 03:50 AM, said:

Double XP weekend --> more people playing and the servers can't take it. If there is a secret behind this, then it's probably a stresstest. ;)

This. Late last night (for me anyway) is the most lag I've ever seen in this game and my ping is always in the 35-45 ms range but I saw rubber banding everywhere.

#26 o0Marduk0o

• Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 4,231 posts

Posted 19 January 2013 - 05:26 AM

View PostValore, on 19 January 2013 - 04:43 AM, said:

And how about when I try to shoot the Stalker at 1:50? Here's a clue: I'm not using a trackball, I did not swish my mouse over and around him twice for fun. ;)

But your torso is turning...
I don't know what you do for fun but your crosshair is not jumping at all.

Sure, several people might have connection problems but your that's "normal" for an online game. Since december patch, nothing changed for me and many more who don't complain in forums because they don't need it.

#27 Captain Wolfsburg

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 148 posts
  • LocationTexas

Posted 19 January 2013 - 05:27 AM

I agree with the stress test theory. It may have something to do with them working on the release of the new net-code. Maybe they're trying to find ways to improve it before they ship it out.

#28 Valore

• The Resolute
  • The Resolute
  • 1,255 posts

Posted 19 January 2013 - 05:33 AM

View Posto0Marduk0o, on 19 January 2013 - 05:26 AM, said:

But your torso is turning...
I don't know what you do for fun but your crosshair is not jumping at all.

Sure, several people might have connection problems but your that's "normal" for an online game. Since december patch, nothing changed for me and many more who don't complain in forums because they don't need it.

You don't get it. I moved my mouse. There is no response. A second later, it bounces to the side of him. Rubberbanding.

You don't have the problem, great for you ;)

#29 o0Marduk0o

• Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 4,231 posts

Posted 19 January 2013 - 05:44 AM

View PostValore, on 19 January 2013 - 05:33 AM, said:

You don't get it. I moved my mouse. There is no response. A second later, it bounces to the side of him. Rubberbanding.

You don't have the problem, great for you ;)

You wrote something different here "Here's a clue: I'm not using a trackball, I did not swish my mouse over and around him twice for fun"

When you move your mouse and the response comes later then you have lag, bad connection or the server is lagging itself but then everyone in that match would have experienced the same.

Rubberbanding is, when you watch enemy (light) mechs and they "warp" around while moving at high speed:
"- an effect of lag and synchronization in online games (sometimes called "warping")"

I feel sorry when you have such problems but don't blame the game this time.

Edited by o0Marduk0o, 19 January 2013 - 05:45 AM.

#30 Ryolacap

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Overlord
  • 184 posts

Posted 19 January 2013 - 06:18 AM

Double XP = Extra XP = Unused XP = Covert to General XP = Use MC = $$$$ for PGI

I find I simply can't churn XP on the same 5 damn maps anymore.

You wont see double money weekend because that would be great but would not sqeeze $$$ out of us.

Edited by Ryolacap, 19 January 2013 - 06:18 AM.

#31 Taizan

Com Guard

• 1,692 posts
  • LocationGalatea (NRW)

Posted 19 January 2013 - 06:27 AM

Valore one thing I kind of noticed in the video - your framerate goes barely over 30 FPS all the time, Although this does not necessarily contribute to any network issues - do you have some kind of frame limiter active? I think once it goes to 32 or so then immediately drops back to a nearly constant 30 FPS. This may be impacting your gameplay experiece in some way as well.

Is it because your rig is not capable of a better performance or is the framerate somehow limited?

Anyway - what is your average ping and packetloss to the MWO server? Maybe measure that with http://www.pingtest.net/index.php (Needs Java afaik) with a Pingtest to Lynnwood, WA or Calgary (close enough) and post the results in this thread.

#32 Valore

• The Resolute
  • The Resolute
  • 1,255 posts

Posted 19 January 2013 - 06:27 AM

View Posto0Marduk0o, on 19 January 2013 - 05:44 AM, said:

You wrote something different here "Here's a clue: I'm not using a trackball, I did not swish my mouse over and around him twice for fun"

When you move your mouse and the response comes later then you have lag, bad connection or the server is lagging itself but then everyone in that match would have experienced the same.

Rubberbanding is, when you watch enemy (light) mechs and they "warp" around while moving at high speed:
"- an effect of lag and synchronization in online games (sometimes called "warping")"

I feel sorry when you have such problems but don't blame the game this time.

There's more than one kind of rubberbanding. When mechs push against each other, and keep warping back to where they were, that's also called rubberbanding.

In this case, when I move, I keep flickering back to where I was. A similar effect happens when I try to aim.

It is the game's fault, simply because this never used to happen. And this problem is similarly repeated for many people.

#33 Taizan

Com Guard

• 1,692 posts
  • LocationGalatea (NRW)

Posted 19 January 2013 - 06:33 AM

View PostValore, on 19 January 2013 - 06:27 AM, said:

In this case, when I move, I keep flickering back to where I was. A similar effect happens when I try to aim.

It looks like the client and server positional information re-sync you to a prior state, TBH this is usually caused by high latency & packet loss - information is lost on the way and the server corrects the position, velocity and aiming angle of your mech.

#34 o0Marduk0o

• Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 4,231 posts

Posted 19 January 2013 - 06:55 AM

View PostValore, on 19 January 2013 - 06:27 AM, said:

There's more than one kind of rubberbanding. When mechs push against each other, and keep warping back to where they were, that's also called rubberbanding. Yes but it's no happening in your video, so we don't need to talk about it.

Check your connection, everything you describe has to do with a bad connection.

It is the game's fault, simply because this never used to happen. And this problem is similarly repeated for many people.
You're not the only one with connection problems.

#35 Heffay

Rum Runner

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Referee
  • The Referee
  • 6,458 posts
  • LocationPHX

Posted 19 January 2013 - 06:58 AM

I've been having these issues for the first time ever (rubberbanding, keypresses not registering), but it only seems to happen on the trial centurion. None of my other mechs (not even the trial stalker & dragon too) seem to be having a problem.

Weird stuff.

#36 Monsoon

• Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 1,631 posts
  • LocationToronto, On aka Kathil

Posted 19 January 2013 - 06:59 AM

Honestly can't say I've noticed any lag with the double XP event.
I did have one match with the No HUD bug, I hadn't seen that one since November.

#37 Skyfaller

• 1,332 posts

Posted 19 January 2013 - 07:02 AM

Yep, OP your problems are due to your connection and nothing to do with the game.

Rubberbanding and delay in commands is a direct indication of packet loss. Your ping may be low but you are losing packets left and right.

#38 Valore

• The Resolute
  • The Resolute
  • 1,255 posts

Posted 19 January 2013 - 09:24 AM

View PostTaizan, on 19 January 2013 - 06:33 AM, said:

It looks like the client and server positional information re-sync you to a prior state, TBH this is usually caused by high latency & packet loss - information is lost on the way and the server corrects the position, velocity and aiming angle of your mech.

Hi Taizan,

Did the packet loss check. 0% loss. My ping is the same as it ever was, 300. Something got broken in Jan, that affects a lot of people.

I know the difference between latency and lag, and rubberbanding. Living in a country outside the US and playing plenty of games has taught me that. What I used to have was latency, which was perfectly acceptable considering ping. Rubberbanding isn't, especially when its not caused by packetloss by my ISP.

Edited by Valore, 19 January 2013 - 09:27 AM.

#39 ThunderOverWater

• PipPipPip
  • 85 posts

Posted 19 January 2013 - 09:47 AM

I'm getting the same issues just not quite as severe, and I have a ping of 25 and an average frame rate of 50. Rubberbanding, freezing minimap, weapon groups stop working, walking in place for up to 10 seconds before movement registers. It's likely a massive netcode processing bottleneck that delays the stream of packets. Can't tell if it's serverside or clientside though.

#40 Valore

• The Resolute
  • The Resolute
  • 1,255 posts

Posted 19 January 2013 - 01:21 PM

View PostSkyfaller, on 19 January 2013 - 07:02 AM, said:

Yep, OP your problems are due to your connection and nothing to do with the game.

Rubberbanding and delay in commands is a direct indication of packet loss. Your ping may be low but you are losing packets left and right.

Yeah, so half the world started getting packet loss, even though packet loss tests give a result of 0% loss. :)

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users