what one thing do you not want to see in MWO?

949 replies to this topic

#341 Valron

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 226 posts

Posted 29 May 2012 - 01:54 AM

I just see it as a balance thing Two mechs of the same type, Mech A has forgone heatsinks for more armor and coolant, Mech B has a traditional build with heatsinks. Who wins the fight? Mech A would probably come out on top due to increased armor. Never played TT so i dont know how it was balanced on their, but i think you can see that a few months heat management would boil down to carrying enough coolant and no one would use heatsinks

#342 Ian

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 289 posts
  • LocationNew Hampshire

Posted 29 May 2012 - 02:56 AM

Coolant pods take wt and space. They also don't completely flush all your heat, merely make your heat sinks more efficient for a single turn. And if hit explode like ammo. They are popular in Solaris where you typically fight a single opponent. They are not typically used on the battlefield as more heat sinks are just more effective in the long run.

You will probably not see them in game any time soon as their technology is considered experimental. About the same time we start seeing Light Gauss, Heavy PPC and Gatling Autocannon. Frankly if i can have Rotary cannon, you can take coolant pods I'll call that a fair trade every day.

#343 iamunkle

• PipPipPip
  • Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 77 posts
  • Facebook: Link
  • LocationAUS

Posted 29 May 2012 - 04:31 AM

View PostJonneh, on 27 May 2012 - 12:36 PM, said:

Dude, he clearly says he doesn't want to see "rare" (Canonically rare) mechs everywhere because it will "break his immersion". So I shouldn't be able to use a particular mech just to preserve his personal view of the "universe"? That is clearly saying people should be restricted just to keep more to canon.

Did you know that no computer game based on the battletech universe has ever been accepted into canon? None of them intended to be at design either, and this one is no exception.

I'm not sure where you are going with storylines and individuality. How do you propose this game brings you those things? Its a 12v12 deathmatch/objective style PVP game.

I may be rude, but I'm right. I have strong opinions and no reservations about posting how I see it. I didn't insult anyone directly, unlike yourself. So rude I may be, but at least I can have a discussion without resorting to name calling <3

I'm not even sure you're speaking english here. My point was there is no "reality" in this game to speak of, except the reality of gameplay. In gameplay you cannot arbitrarily tell a player he can't play something because too many others are already playing it. That isn't fun. I think that makes perfect sense, as do the people liking the post!

i fired up, forgive me. just that a community such as this. i thought it would be free of a blatant insult on ones ideas rather then discussion.
you could have stated to him what i had to argue out of you? lol it was his statement an u went in for the kill.
i dont like seeing people put down so easily. characteristics of a bully.
im opinionated as well. thats where discussion and debate come in. *places monocle on cheek* like gentlemen.

as for the immersion with too many rare fielded mechs, well id agree with you in that it has to be fair for everyone, still. ive played too many games were everyone goes for the best of, and you end up with a game empty of diversity. id go into thy i disagree in regards to the fielding of so many lets say, atlas mechs. but i guess ur point is right. plus: "[color=#959595]Did you know that no computer game based on the battletech universe has ever been accepted into canon? None of them intended to be at design either, and this one is no exception.[/color]"

i did not.

i have high hopes for this game.
i just think that having an atlas available well then what of the other mechs?
massive bringer of death with massive weapon capability kinda outshines other mechs to the point of..."eh, might as well atlas"
id rather my mouth went dry at the sight of one.
otherwise whats to fear. whats to make u get your focus on.
sure, should be fair for everyone. but you saying that first 25% of players have access to an atlas, thats a stupid idea id agree.
a mech as large as that should be worked towards making your way through more then 1 mech to get a feel for all the mechs.

would be like a strictly atlas player having to use a scout mech...finding out he likes the tactics involved.

if fun is getting given whatever you want with no incentives or unlocks, it will be a short lived game.
i just feel working your way up through objectives and unlocks and mechs will give a greater appreciation to the effort put in by devs in all aspects.

ive waited for this game to finaly come around sinse mechwarrior 3.

so i apologies for the name calling.
but being rude towards someones opinion rather then arguing a valid point (which you have) and belittling them is unnecessary.

*shrugs*

friends?

lol

#344 Jonneh

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 334 posts
  • LocationUK

Posted 29 May 2012 - 04:44 AM

View Postiamunkle, on 29 May 2012 - 04:31 AM, said:

i fired up, forgive me. just that a community such as this. i thought it would be free of a blatant insult on ones ideas rather then discussion.
you could have stated to him what i had to argue out of you? lol it was his statement an u went in for the kill.
i dont like seeing people put down so easily. characteristics of a bully.
im opinionated as well. thats where discussion and debate come in. *places monocle on cheek* like gentlemen.

as for the immersion with too many rare fielded mechs, well id agree with you in that it has to be fair for everyone, still. ive played too many games were everyone goes for the best of, and you end up with a game empty of diversity. id go into thy i disagree in regards to the fielding of so many lets say, atlas mechs. but i guess ur point is right. plus: "[color=#959595]Did you know that no computer game based on the battletech universe has ever been accepted into canon? None of them intended to be at design either, and this one is no exception.[/color]"

i did not.

i have high hopes for this game.
i just think that having an atlas available well then what of the other mechs?
massive bringer of death with massive weapon capability kinda outshines other mechs to the point of..."eh, might as well atlas"
id rather my mouth went dry at the sight of one.
otherwise whats to fear. whats to make u get your focus on.
sure, should be fair for everyone. but you saying that first 25% of players have access to an atlas, thats a stupid idea id agree.
a mech as large as that should be worked towards making your way through more then 1 mech to get a feel for all the mechs.

would be like a strictly atlas player having to use a scout mech...finding out he likes the tactics involved.

if fun is getting given whatever you want with no incentives or unlocks, it will be a short lived game.
i just feel working your way up through objectives and unlocks and mechs will give a greater appreciation to the effort put in by devs in all aspects.

ive waited for this game to finaly come around sinse mechwarrior 3.

so i apologies for the name calling.
but being rude towards someones opinion rather then arguing a valid point (which you have) and belittling them is unnecessary.

*shrugs*

friends?

lol

What you describe may be well suited to a table top RPG or even a single player video game. There are ways to control the "atlas" population which don't involve arbitrary restrictions.

They are already doing them in fact. An atlas is slow, lighter mechs can kite/escape them, flank and ambush. Hit and run. They can also bypass the atlas and go for an objective to exploit its weak pursuit capabilities.

I dare say a well piloted Atlas may still be worthy of that fear, just not because you hardly ever see them.

We also don't know how the matchmaking system will handle things. Perhaps there will only be 3-4 assault class mechs on any given matchmaking team. It'll make queues longer, but it would ensure that people who queue with the more "unpopular" mech classes get into games quickly, in turn making them more attractive.

Personally I look forward to exploring the scout role. I think in the hands of a great player you can do a lot of damage as a great scout. Allowing your longer range mechs the chance to do damage, allowing your more fragile mechs the chance to avoid enemy pushes. Doing your part by damaging heavier mechs and assisting combat from the fringes, darting in and legging some more heavier enemies so they become easy pray to your advancing team. Assisting an ally who is outmatched against a heavier assailant by flanking and shooting them in the back, giving them something to worry about and perhaps the chance for your friend to recover and overcome the opponent.

There will be those who think like me, and won't just buy an atlas and sit in it all day. Of course there will be those that will, and I just hope there is enough gameplay to exploit weaknesses and press your own advantages as I describe. In which case, that'll be what decides the outcome of battles. Not just which team as the most atlas'

#345 Sadnebula

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 111 posts

Posted 29 May 2012 - 04:46 AM

I also have been in wot.
1. no easy mode ranged. wot arty .....
2. no silly grinds once you get a mech to make it playable.
And here is the topper:
I do not want to see a business model where game play is sacrificed for profit,
there is room for both.

#346 William Petersen

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 902 posts

Posted 29 May 2012 - 04:51 AM

View PostSadnebula, on 29 May 2012 - 04:46 AM, said:

2. no silly grinds once you get a mech to make it playable.

God yes. Stupidest part of WoT. Grats you got a new higher tier tank that is now shittier than your old tank because it's stock. Have fun!

I don't think this will be a problem, though, due to vastly different combat and weapons mechanics.

#347 starmindfr

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Knight Errant
  • 130 posts
  • Location72 virgins eden

Posted 29 May 2012 - 04:53 AM

I dont want to see a billing system like in WOT that prevent casual player to have the most heavy / value mechs
I dont want to have gold ammo too...
I dont want to have crazy fast premium mechs lance with big guns, that rush and kill all before we finish to power on...
I dont want to see ejected pilots putting nuclear C4 packs on cockpits (but seems dev team will not add them)
I dont want to have too many mechs on maps, need to "hunt" and "spot", not just all rushing on known best place...

#348 Shredder666

Rookie

• 1 posts
  • LocationEngland

Posted 29 May 2012 - 04:58 AM

I don't want to see mechs run and still shooting acuratly. From a slow plod upward the gun sight and therefore accurat shooting should become ever more volotile. I want to see fire and manoeuvre, fire and manoeuvre.

#349 Xiucoatl

• PipPip
  • Knight Errant
  • 22 posts
  • LocationIf I Tell You I Have To Choke You :)

Posted 29 May 2012 - 05:00 AM

View Postdooder39, on 26 May 2012 - 04:19 AM, said:

Melee

yeah that be awsome thats tactics shhhhh ;) but for me I will like to see if you put a different weapon I will like to see a different mounted weapon on the mech like laser will look like a mounted laser and cannon, machine gun etc.

#350 iamunkle

• PipPipPip
  • Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 77 posts
  • Facebook: Link
  • LocationAUS

Posted 29 May 2012 - 05:03 AM

View PostJonneh, on 29 May 2012 - 04:44 AM, said:

What you describe may be well suited to a table top RPG or even a single player video game. There are ways to control the "atlas" population which don't involve arbitrary restrictions.

They are already doing them in fact. An atlas is slow, lighter mechs can kite/escape them, flank and ambush. Hit and run. They can also bypass the atlas and go for an objective to exploit its weak pursuit capabilities.

I dare say a well piloted Atlas may still be worthy of that fear, just not because you hardly ever see them.

We also don't know how the matchmaking system will handle things. Perhaps there will only be 3-4 assault class mechs on any given matchmaking team. It'll make queues longer, but it would ensure that people who queue with the more "unpopular" mech classes get into games quickly, in turn making them more attractive.

Personally I look forward to exploring the scout role. I think in the hands of a great player you can do a lot of damage as a great scout. Allowing your longer range mechs the chance to do damage, allowing your more fragile mechs the chance to avoid enemy pushes. Doing your part by damaging heavier mechs and assisting combat from the fringes, darting in and legging some more heavier enemies so they become easy pray to your advancing team. Assisting an ally who is outmatched against a heavier assailant by flanking and shooting them in the back, giving them something to worry about and perhaps the chance for your friend to recover and overcome the opponent.

There will be those who think like me, and won't just buy an atlas and sit in it all day. Of course there will be those that will, and I just hope there is enough gameplay to exploit weaknesses and press your own advantages as I describe. In which case, that'll be what decides the outcome of battles. Not just which team as the most atlas'

im the same.
initialy its "LETS HIT UP ASSAULT"

but i realised how ive always prefered speed and cunning.

obviously scout.

just worried as to the pounding thats heading my way tho...

valid point with the matchmaking. with 3 slots for scouts if i recall correctly, even then you may have trouble?
team of 12 isnt it?

#351 Kael Tropheus

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Giant Helper
  • Giant Helper
  • 282 posts
  • LocationOrlando FL

Posted 29 May 2012 - 05:07 AM

Customization..... too late.

Umm devs appealing more heavily to the mechwarrior game crowd and not the Battletech fans that have kept the enterprise going for 25 years.

#352 Aries13

• Pip
  • 14 posts
  • LocationWashington State

Posted 29 May 2012 - 05:10 AM

Banning of team killers.

#353 FaustianQ

• PipPipPip
  • 89 posts

Posted 29 May 2012 - 06:26 AM

Absolutely strict, blind adherence to TT and canon. Balance should always top any dogma, and if a feature is found wanting, it should be fixed. Example:

Poor heat management balance. I always found energy to be the simply "better" option, especially with DHS, as compared to the poor tonnage/crit to damage of ballistic weaponry + spontaneous combustion. Heat should be a fairly large concern, enough that even energy weaponry's other advantages are given a second glance.

On the side of inclusion, the Goonswarm, because lulz. Not like they won't play anyway, and you'd have to make MWO downright terrible for them not to play. Plus the few that I have talked to want to make the FRR a superpower and troll the clanners, so that gets a +1 from me.

#354 Diomed

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 198 posts

Posted 29 May 2012 - 06:32 AM

I don't want to see an unfair MatchMaker. The matches should be as balanced as possible.

#355 Squidhead Jax

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,434 posts

Posted 29 May 2012 - 06:41 AM

View PostAldinvor, on 26 May 2012 - 04:18 AM, said:

I don't want to see every single 'mech loadout using the exact same two weapons after people have been to the 'mechlab,

Same here.

Unless they're PPCs.

#356 2ane

• PipPip
  • 41 posts

Posted 29 May 2012 - 06:50 AM

-Boating being the only viable way to config a mech.
-"Jump-sniping".
-the Mad Cat Mk. II

cant say what i hate most

#357 AlanEsh

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Bludgeon
  • 1,212 posts

Posted 29 May 2012 - 06:56 AM

IS XL engines that kill your mech when your side torso dies. I think this is a horrible mechanic to move into MWO and it will make IS high tech mechs too vulnerable vs clan mechs.

#358 Tterrag

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 193 posts
  • LocationMississippi

Posted 29 May 2012 - 07:01 AM

A lack of credit scammers would be nice. Oh wait you mean like gameplay then i want to be able to enjoy all classes to the fullest (they say you will but i still worry) without having to worry about running into a lance of all assault while i'm running around in a medium.

Edited by Tterrag, 29 May 2012 - 07:02 AM.

#359 Aries13

• Pip
  • 14 posts
  • LocationWashington State

Posted 29 May 2012 - 07:04 AM

Make damage and team play the best way to get EXP not kills. To many 5 years olds will just wait for a mech to have 5hp then fire to get a kill.

#360 Stormeris

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 988 posts
  • LocationLithuania

Posted 29 May 2012 - 07:07 AM

One thing i do NOT want to see in MWO? ponies...unfortunately its filled with them... makes me a sad panda

3 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 3 guests, 0 anonymous users