what one thing do you not want to see in MWO?

949 replies to this topic

#361 G34R B0X

• PipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 32 posts
  • LocationSandusky OHIO

Posted 29 May 2012 - 07:20 AM

View PostHaroldwolf, on 26 May 2012 - 06:42 AM, said:

As a general comment...
Until we get our hands on MWO we really don't know what the gameplay will be like. If the game isn't designed to require a proper mix o' mechs to win then it will turn that one or two loadouts based on assualt mechs with Gauss Rifles and PPCs will be the standard.

honestly i dont think that will happen, i mean when i watched the Light mech Vid with the raven, and the Heaveies vid with the catapult, both are faster than lest say an atlas, and if they both can keep out of the way of the gauss guns, the cat can just rain death down from afar, end of problem. Honestly the first two weeks after this goes live the newbies to battle tech will do just that. give it two weeks, and a lof of *** whoopin, and thatll change. Honestly the thing i and a lot of people seem to not want to see is Golden ammo, for the love of god NO GOLDEN AMMO!!!!! that just Ruined WoT

#362 Volthorne

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 1,929 posts
  • LocationCalgary, Canadia

Posted 29 May 2012 - 07:23 AM

View PostAries13, on 29 May 2012 - 07:04 AM, said:

Make damage and team play the best way to get EXP not kills. To many 5 years olds will just wait for a mech to have 5hp then fire to get a kill.

I don't think 5 year-olds will even be pla- ... Wait a second... I was 5 when I started playing MW2....

#363 G34R B0X

• PipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 32 posts
  • LocationSandusky OHIO

Posted 29 May 2012 - 07:35 AM

View PostMaximumRisk98, on 26 May 2012 - 10:41 AM, said:

I don´t want to see a button to buy money

thats Bullshit

Sadly this will be free to play, which means the people didnt make this amazing thing out of the goodness of there heart they need to make money, and thats one way, actully one of the best ways, so yes there will probaly be a button to pay for C-bills ( im not saying F2P is bad, actully i plan on buying lots of stuff, but i for one will NOT buy C-bills, id rather grind it out, it seems to cheap for me, but some people who dont have the time to grind it will have a chance,)

#364 AikiGhost

• Pip
  • 12 posts
  • LocationUK

Posted 29 May 2012 - 07:50 AM

View PostSovietgondor, on 28 May 2012 - 02:30 PM, said:

Im sorry WHAT.

If you have any knowledge of BattleTech, Melee would absolutely great. But I doubt it will ever show up.

Yep, picking up severed limbs and using them as clubs and also "death from above" jump jet attacks to the head of an enemy mech are both staples or Classic Battletech.

#365 StarSlayer40

• PipPip
  • 46 posts
  • LocationClan Space

Posted 29 May 2012 - 07:59 AM

Hmm, there are a few things...I don't want to see 'mechs weighing over 100 tons ("abomination 'mechs"), I don't want to have it like in WoT where a huge 'mech sitting 10 yards from your suddenly vanishes...

Would Also like to avoid the whole thing where your scouts run right through the enemy base when nobody is in range of the newly spotted targets, and thus they suicide just to get points, like in WoT, because WoT only gives awards for the first person to spot a hostile vehicle, and will not reward later on scouts (the ones who actually help). So, I would like to never see that in MWO.

#366 Name54678

• PipPip
  • 34 posts

Posted 29 May 2012 - 08:19 AM

I dont want the developers to forget about having fun. This is a game, not a religion. Just because there was some kind of rule in a 1980's table top game that does not obligate the dev's to include it here. Make your decisions based on what's going to allow the most players to have the most fun.

#367 G34R B0X

• PipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 32 posts
  • LocationSandusky OHIO

Posted 29 May 2012 - 08:37 AM

View PostGangrel, on 27 May 2012 - 12:14 AM, said:

OK, if you remember, the coolant flush in MW3/4 was limited, you could only do it 2 or 3 times.and it drained your available coolant. The only flaw I see, is the cooling system ran the same if it was full or empty. To fix this, instead of removing the coolant flush, why not have the level determin the effectiveness of the system, 50% coolant, 50% cooling. Then, if you run out of coolant, you had better be encased in a glacier when you fire off that ERPPC. ;)

I like this idea, i hated coolant flush more than anything, but it is Cannon, i mean think, if you make a 15 million c-bill machine, your biggest concern is that its going to go up in flames, either from takeing fire, or causeing your own. so if there was a way to stop that , the creators would invent a system. its a good idea but it starts to suck when it OP's the game, makeing your coolant a limited source that does a limited amount of cooling is in fact a better way to do things

#368 Ian

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 289 posts
  • LocationNew Hampshire

Posted 29 May 2012 - 09:14 AM

Make damage and team play the best way to get EXP not kills. To many 5 years olds will just wait for a mech to have 5hp then fire to get a kill.

I believe exps for damage is more than for the 'killshot'. If not then it should be.

I dont want the developers to forget about having fun. This is a game, not a religion. Just because there was some kind of rule in a 1980's table top game that does not obligate the dev's to include it here. Make your decisions based on what's going to allow the most players to have the most fun.

You know that Battletech is more popular now than it was in the 80's right? If not you should. I'm not saying the Dev's should adhere strictly to the TT rules. Anything but. What I am saying is that as a Battletech fan, if the game doesn't FEEL like Battletech then many of us won't play it. Fortunately I have confidence that the Devs are attempting to make a game that feels like Battletech.

#369 Sovietgondor

Rookie

• FP Veteran - Beta 2
  • 9 posts
  • LocationOrbital Station Xing Yuan, Awaiting Combat Drop

Posted 29 May 2012 - 09:21 AM

View PostOrion Pirate, on 28 May 2012 - 02:39 PM, said:

You are right, it works in a TT setting with friends... But in a real time game, that has random players, it can be really silly, and get out of hand, or so I imagine. I just imagine getting rushed by an Atlas and getting axed to death because I can't stop him fast enough, and when I turn around to run from him his buddy in a light mech with an axe just beats me as I run... Replace Atlas with the mech of your imagination... I know there will be variables to counter some of this of course, but I would rather not see Melee at all in a real time FPS game.

I know many people LOVE melee in FPS, but for me it breaks the game and makes it difficult to enjoy.

Agreed. Being charged by an atlas would be brutal anyways, ESPECIALLY if your a Light, there would be no mech left. Now maybe just maybe hear me out. What if they where to balance the game later on, by integrating a number of mechs from BattleTech that have never been in a MechWarrior game before. They can totally do it. You seen the Cataphract just like everyone else. I'm anxious to see if the ACTUAL melee mechs make their way into the game, for example Axman.

#370 Ian

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 289 posts
  • LocationNew Hampshire

Posted 29 May 2012 - 09:24 AM

Say it with me Berserker!!

Lol I'd like to see Melee in. But its not a deal breaker.

#371 Natedog

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 118 posts
  • LocationWashington

Posted 29 May 2012 - 12:29 PM

View PostJonneh, on 29 May 2012 - 04:44 AM, said:

What you describe may be well suited to a table top RPG or even a single player video game. There are ways to control the "atlas" population which don't involve arbitrary restrictions.

They are already doing them in fact. An atlas is slow, lighter mechs can kite/escape them, flank and ambush. Hit and run. They can also bypass the atlas and go for an objective to exploit its weak pursuit capabilities.

I dare say a well piloted Atlas may still be worthy of that fear, just not because you hardly ever see them.

We also don't know how the matchmaking system will handle things. Perhaps there will only be 3-4 assault class mechs on any given matchmaking team. It'll make queues longer, but it would ensure that people who queue with the more "unpopular" mech classes get into games quickly, in turn making them more attractive.

Personally I look forward to exploring the scout role. I think in the hands of a great player you can do a lot of damage as a great scout. Allowing your longer range mechs the chance to do damage, allowing your more fragile mechs the chance to avoid enemy pushes. Doing your part by damaging heavier mechs and assisting combat from the fringes, darting in and legging some more heavier enemies so they become easy pray to your advancing team. Assisting an ally who is outmatched against a heavier assailant by flanking and shooting them in the back, giving them something to worry about and perhaps the chance for your friend to recover and overcome the opponent.

There will be those who think like me, and won't just buy an atlas and sit in it all day. Of course there will be those that will, and I just hope there is enough gameplay to exploit weaknesses and press your own advantages as I describe. In which case, that'll be what decides the outcome of battles. Not just which team as the most atlas'

An easy way to fix having too many of the same mech, or the most popular mech, is having a "supply and demand" feature built into the game. There really should only be a finite amount of mechs available in the game to simulate manufacturing capabilities (along with weapons, munitions, etc..) and it would also be nice if there was some sort of auction house where houses/merc units can pick up used equipment from units that don't need it anymore.

#372 Jonneh

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 334 posts
  • LocationUK

Posted 29 May 2012 - 12:37 PM

View PostNatedog, on 29 May 2012 - 12:29 PM, said:

An easy way to fix having too many of the same mech, or the most popular mech, is having a "supply and demand" feature built into the game. There really should only be a finite amount of mechs available in the game to simulate manufacturing capabilities (along with weapons, munitions, etc..) and it would also be nice if there was some sort of auction house where houses/merc units can pick up used equipment from units that don't need it anymore.

You seem to have missed the whole thread of discussion where it was pretty solidly agreed upon that artificially restricting what mech you can play in the game is a stupid idea.

This isn't real life. We don't need to be told that a mech is "out of stock". What is the point in playing a game where the fastest/richest players get such a huge advantage? That is just backwards. Would you honestly be happy with a system that arbitrarily said "you cannot play this mech" and risk the fact that you may never be able to play it, because others got there first and never "sold" it?

This isn't something you can put restrictions on. That just frustrates players. You need a gameplay system that encourages and rewards players and teams for having diverse Lance setups, made up of all mech weight classes and types. It is a much more difficult way of getting a diverse playing field, but its the only one which is fair to your players. The added (and huge) bonus being that it also makes your battles much more dynamic, tactical and fun.

Edited by Jonneh, 29 May 2012 - 12:38 PM.

#373 Natedog

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 118 posts
  • LocationWashington

Posted 29 May 2012 - 12:49 PM

View PostJonneh, on 29 May 2012 - 12:37 PM, said:

You seem to have missed the whole thread of discussion where it was pretty solidly agreed upon that artificially restricting what mech you can play in the game is a stupid idea.

This isn't real life. We don't need to be told that a mech is "out of stock". What is the point in playing a game where the fastest/richest players get such a huge advantage? That is just backwards. Would you honestly be happy with a system that arbitrarily said "you cannot play this mech" and risk the fact that you may never be able to play it, because others got there first and never "sold" it?

This isn't something you can put restrictions on. That just frustrates players. You need a gameplay system that encourages and rewards players and teams for having diverse Lance setups, made up of all mech weight classes and types. It is a much more difficult way of getting a diverse playing field, but its the only one which is fair to your players. The added (and huge) bonus being that it also makes your battles much more dynamic, tactical and fun.

You don't understand the "supply and demand" feature. A mech will never be "sold out", the price MAY go up because supply might be low and demand high, but when people buy other mechs instead and supply builds up the price will drop. You will always have the option to buy that mech. With an auction house of some sort it allows a possibility for players to make money as well instead of the simple turn it in to the vendor for X amount of C-Bills.

I also agree about your gameplay mechanics. Take a look at other great MMO's and you'll see their group raids/instances require diverse groups to make it through. I also like the idea of an added x-factor with the "supply and demand" possibilities. Does it limit the players who pay the initial $50-$60 for the game and never put any more money into it? Possibly, but it could also help keep the servers going, content being added, etc.. and in the long run the players that only paid the initial amount would still be able to get what they wanted, it may just take them longer.

#374 Tezz LaCoil

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Survivor
  • Survivor
  • 144 posts
  • LocationOhio USA

Posted 29 May 2012 - 01:02 PM

"Perfect Loadouts"

And by that, I mean loadouts that are so unbeatable that anyon who uses them has a SEVERE advantage over everyone else. I know there are loadouts that are good for specific situations, but NEVER should there be a perfect loadout for EVERY situation.

Preferrably, every loadout should have disadvantages. That's a lot of game balancing.

Just the way I see things.

#375 Jonneh

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 334 posts
  • LocationUK

Posted 29 May 2012 - 01:18 PM

View PostNatedog, on 29 May 2012 - 12:49 PM, said:

You don't understand the "supply and demand" feature. A mech will never be "sold out", the price MAY go up because supply might be low and demand high, but when people buy other mechs instead and supply builds up the price will drop. You will always have the option to buy that mech. With an auction house of some sort it allows a possibility for players to make money as well instead of the simple turn it in to the vendor for X amount of C-Bills.

I also agree about your gameplay mechanics. Take a look at other great MMO's and you'll see their group raids/instances require diverse groups to make it through. I also like the idea of an added x-factor with the "supply and demand" possibilities. Does it limit the players who pay the initial $50-$60 for the game and never put any more money into it? Possibly, but it could also help keep the servers going, content being added, etc.. and in the long run the players that only paid the initial amount would still be able to get what they wanted, it may just take them longer.

Any system that limits people from playing something they want to play because lots of other players are playing it is going to end with frustrated players. Even if you're just asked to pay 2x as much as someone who got there before you, its frustrating. Its a barrier to new players. An "AH" adds absolutely nothing to this game as you describe it. They haven't even talked about a trade system, so there is no "economy". The idea of buying and re-selling mechs has no purpose in a game built around purely 12v12 battles. I honestly see no value in what you're talking about, and I struggle to understand exactly what you think it adds to the game beyond an auction house for an auction house's sake.

You make money by participating in battles, which lets you buy better stuff. Where does an AH fit in? You might be able to buy that stuff slightly cheaper, because the price from the vendor has gone up, because lots of people have bought that mech... to sell back to you anyway? Where is the economy in that? It seems people could just exploit it to make a whole bucket load of cash by buying up popular mechs and reselling them when the price goes up?

Honestly, I have no idea what picture you have of this game in your head, but I think its really far off the mark. Perhaps you should wait for MechTrader Online!

Edited by Jonneh, 29 May 2012 - 01:20 PM.

#376 Arogantfool

• Pip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 10 posts
  • LocationIndian Island, N.B., Canada

Posted 29 May 2012 - 01:19 PM

I cant say one thing, theres a few.

1: EXP / Credit gain dependant on team like in WoT
-When you "carry" the team and still lose, you got almost nothing in WoT, made leveling almost unbearable, unless you did this: paid for exp transfers as you went up the tech tree. I did this the first while that i Played WoT (spent ~1 grand in the first month), but i will not do this again. too expensive for a college student.

2: "premium" ammunition.

3: although i will pesonally play assault at first (I like to be tanky in MMO's lately), I agree with people in the sense that it will be boring to see everyone play assault (though it would be fun on the rare occasion), it should not be bigger is better.

4: third person view...
I've heard friends get depressed about this not being in thirst person, but in my honest oppinion, this should not exist. just doesnt feel right to see all around yourself like this.

#377 Natedog

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 118 posts
  • LocationWashington

Posted 29 May 2012 - 02:57 PM

View PostJonneh, on 29 May 2012 - 01:18 PM, said:

Any system that limits people from playing something they want to play because lots of other players are playing it is going to end with frustrated players. Even if you're just asked to pay 2x as much as someone who got there before you, its frustrating. Its a barrier to new players. An "AH" adds absolutely nothing to this game as you describe it. They haven't even talked about a trade system, so there is no "economy". The idea of buying and re-selling mechs has no purpose in a game built around purely 12v12 battles. I honestly see no value in what you're talking about, and I struggle to understand exactly what you think it adds to the game beyond an auction house for an auction house's sake.

You make money by participating in battles, which lets you buy better stuff. Where does an AH fit in? You might be able to buy that stuff slightly cheaper, because the price from the vendor has gone up, because lots of people have bought that mech... to sell back to you anyway? Where is the economy in that? It seems people could just exploit it to make a whole bucket load of cash by buying up popular mechs and reselling them when the price goes up?

Honestly, I have no idea what picture you have of this game in your head, but I think its really far off the mark. Perhaps you should wait for MechTrader Online!

Okay, I guess I was confused. This game is just Team Fortress 2 with mechs. I thought this game actually had an RPG element to it. Thanks for clearing that up!

#378 Felicitatem Parco

Professor of Memetics

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 13,522 posts
  • LocationIs Being Obscured By ECM

Posted 29 May 2012 - 03:02 PM

View PostNatedog, on 29 May 2012 - 02:57 PM, said:

Okay, I guess I was confused. This game is just Team Fortress 2 with mechs. I thought this game actually had an RPG element to it. Thanks for clearing that up!

It does have RPG elements such as "leveling up" your pilot and "leveling up" your Mech Chassis Variants.

Edited by Prosperity Park, 29 May 2012 - 03:05 PM.

#379 Jonneh

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 334 posts
  • LocationUK

Posted 29 May 2012 - 03:05 PM

View PostNatedog, on 29 May 2012 - 02:57 PM, said:

Are you serious? Cause, I'm really not sure if you're trolling.

No, I wouldn't even loosely describe any aspect of this game as RPG. You unlock modules for your pilot, I guess? There is XP? At what point did you envision an RPG element?

Have you played World of Tanks? I'd recommend it for a better idea about the structure of MWO.

#380 Protection

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,754 posts
  • LocationVancouver

Posted 29 May 2012 - 07:15 PM

I really like the idea of a one-time coolant flush. And it should come with a penalty. Like -25% heat dissipation after flushing coolant. That way, there is a cost to using it, but if done at the right moment, the juice could prove worth the squeeze.

8 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 8 guests, 0 anonymous users