Fact Or Fiction: Clan Tech Will Be Impossible To Introduce In A Manner That Doesn't Immediately Cause Epic Qqing?

258 replies to this topic

Poll: Clan QQ (314 member(s) have cast votes)

Will the Clans Make or Break MW:O?

1. Make... (102 votes [32.48%])

Percentage of vote: 32.48%

2. Break (51 votes [16.24%])

Percentage of vote: 16.24%

3. have no frikking clue (62 votes [19.75%])

Percentage of vote: 19.75%

4. ummm.... isn't it broken already? (63 votes [20.06%])

Percentage of vote: 20.06%

5. insert random answer into your post "here" (36 votes [11.46%])

Percentage of vote: 11.46%

Vote Guests cannot vote

#1 Bishop Steiner

ForumWarrior

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Hammer
  • The Hammer
  • 47,187 posts
  • Locationclimbing Mt Tryhard, one smoldering Meta-Mech corpse at a time

Posted 30 January 2013 - 02:48 PM

Every idea I have heard bandied about seems to point to one thing.. unless the Devs have something REALLY sneaky planned, or the whining really just IS a vocal minority.... Clan Tech and the Invasion will be the major Make or Break event... and from these Forums, it seems impossible to predict "Make".

Rumors abound that the Clans will be by super Illuminati invite only. P2W!!! Unfair! Clan Mechs, MC only. P2W!!!!!! Really High Cbill Cost: NONONO!!! I should be able to start with a Madcat!, etc, etc, etc.

The point.... if Clan Tech is easily, readily available to all, every single Inner Sphere mech become instantly obsoleted, and within a month, only new people grinding trial mechs will be using them. And any and all competitive tournaments will basically be mandatory Clan Tech only affairs.

Any and all "limitations" suggested to try to slow down their integration to the masses meets immediate resistance from the instant gratification crowd.

"Balancing" Clan artificially to somehow make it "equalize" to the Inner Spheres tech is just plain idiotic at best . (They have 300 year SUPERIOR technology people.... That's like taking the USMC of Today and siccing it against the forces from the Revolutionary war..... technology improves... it doesn't stay balanced) The BALANCE was their own code of conduct and limited numbers (aka 5 clanners vs 8-12 Inner Sphere pilots..... something few gamers of any stripe will voluntarily choose to accept doing.)

So, not to be a doom monger, but does anyone realistically see a happy ending to the Clans being introduced? If so.. how?

#2 Booran

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 1,073 posts

Posted 30 January 2013 - 02:52 PM

Whiners gonna whine regardless if the whole game is adjusted, tweaked, revolutionized, overhauled, waxed, patched, sewn or left untouched.
We should listen more to those who weigh pros against cons, and those who see past "well why break something OP, I was winning?"
What I'm hoping for is that clans and CW will mesh together with the base game we have now and lift it to proper quality heights.

edit: gosh I sound like I should get down from my high horse, sorry for sounding pretentious (spelling)

Edited by Booran, 30 January 2013 - 02:54 PM.

#3 Broceratops

• 1,903 posts

Posted 30 January 2013 - 02:56 PM

they're going to monetize the **** out of it somehow. clan tech is just as valuable in RL as it is in the lore. it's been presented as such in every MW game for good reason.

PGI would be be fools to not do something that will result more or less in clan tech = $$$. even if it's something like making each mech $100 million cbills on the basis that they're so rare so they're marked up in value 5x, so to get any of them you either have to play 600 games or fork over 40 bucks.

#4 Eddrick

• Storm
  • Storm
  • 1,493 posts
  • Facebook: Link
  • LocationCanyon Lake, TX.

Posted 30 January 2013 - 02:57 PM

QQing will likly happen no matter how they do it. If it is balanced with IS, then the Clan pureists will QQ. If it is how it is in table top, then people will QQ about it being OP. No matter what. Everyone, will not be happy. At first, anyway.

#5 Brilig

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Philanthropist
  • 667 posts
  • LocationTexas

Posted 30 January 2013 - 03:01 PM

I don't know about the mechs themselves, but there is a lot they can do to balance the technology.

They could make all clan weapons run a bunch hotter than their IS counterparts. More damage, better range with a heat penalty. That could help keep them from being OP.

#6 Sadistic Savior

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 907 posts

Posted 30 January 2013 - 03:01 PM

If they balance it the same way as in the table top game, I don't see what the big deal will be. Increase the ratio of IS mechs to clan to compensate for the tech bonus. And allow IS mechs to use some of the Clan tech.

I also don't care if the are MC only...as long as they are balanced, I am ok with it. They pretty much HAVE to add them, especially if they are following the canon timeline. The Clans have become a core feature of Battletech.

#7 Lindonius

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 575 posts
  • LocationTokyo

Posted 30 January 2013 - 03:02 PM

I'm looking forward to dusting expensive Clan mechs in my rusty old 4P. Should cause much wailing and gnashing of teeth.

#8 Silent

• 1,207 posts
  • LocationButte Hold

Posted 30 January 2013 - 03:04 PM

They can't even give the community ECM without everyone wetting their pants in rage. Don't even bother with the Clans at this rate.

Edited by Silent, 30 January 2013 - 03:04 PM.

#9 Rannos

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 404 posts
  • LocationKaetetôã

Posted 30 January 2013 - 03:06 PM

Sorry, the clans misjumped at ended up in Kaetetôã. There will be no clan invasion. Just a Tetatae invasion.

Edited by Rannos, 30 January 2013 - 03:06 PM.

#10 SmoothCriminal

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 815 posts

Posted 30 January 2013 - 03:11 PM

Clan tech will be released when this game officially launches. The PR from the iconic designs will surely help bring in nubcakes. Personally, if we allow mixtech, I don't see them being that imba. Hunchback 4P with 9ER medium lasers? A stalker with 4 Clan (ER) PPCs? equal if not better than their clan equivalents. In the end it's just cosmetics and hardpoints.

#11 Liberty

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 190 posts
  • LocationDark Side of the Moon

Posted 30 January 2013 - 03:14 PM

There will be a lot of complaints. Everyday I see Nerf that and this is OP. They forget that everyone is IS. ECM and numbers will likely be your only advantage against the Clans. That and melee weapons if they are introduced. Clan mechs mop the floor with IS mechs so there will be a lot of crying and most will switch over to the more powerful Clan mechs if there is an opportunity to do so which will only leave the hardcore in the IS. Kinda like those still playing a Jenner over a Raven 3L. You can do it but its going to be tough and painful unless you are good. People are complaining over small stuff like SRM 2 Streaks. Well.... Watch the complaints soar when they start getting slammed by Clan Lights with Streak SRM-6 launchers. Clan mechs also run cooler. Its going be very ugly. My guess is that they will have more IS mechs vs Clan mechs on a drop thus giving the IS the advantage of numbers so that tactics will have to win over mechs and equipment. Still.... I foresee much complaining.

You might also get complaints from the Clan side if they try to Nerf Clan mechs to make them just as powerful as IS mechs. This would be against canon but there will be those that scream for balance and exclaim unfair when a superior Clan mech defeats them. Not sure how this is going to go. Personally, I might have one account for Clan and one for IS depending on how they introduce it.

#12 Sadistic Savior

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 907 posts

Posted 30 January 2013 - 03:15 PM

The big deal with Clan mechs isn't the tech (assuming IS gets Clan salvaged weapons...which they would be insane not to sell for MC) but the versatility. You don't have to buy variants for Omnimechs because all the slots are interchangeable.

#13 Joseph Mallan

ForumWarrior

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 35,216 posts
  • Google+: Link
  • Facebook: Link
  • LocationMallanhold, Furillo

Posted 30 January 2013 - 03:16 PM

See heres the rub Bishop, I am buying into this game expecting the Clans to roll the Inner sphere for about 2 years. The Clans literally obliterated hundreds of commands. Mercilessly crushed everything in their path. Anything less and we will not be playing the Clan Invasion.

#14 anonymous175

• Bad Company
  • 1,195 posts

Posted 30 January 2013 - 03:18 PM

It's an uphill battle. Clan tech means more bang for the ton. So do we quadruple the armor values?

#15 Sadistic Savior

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 907 posts

Posted 30 January 2013 - 03:18 PM

View PostJoseph Mallan, on 30 January 2013 - 03:16 PM, said:

See heres the rub Bishop, I am buying into this game expecting the Clans to roll the Inner sphere for about 2 years. The Clans literally obliterated hundreds of commands. Mercilessly crushed everything in their path. Anything less and we will not be playing the Clan Invasion.

I thought they also would not engage 1 to 1 because of the honor thing...like it would be beneath them to consider an IS warrior equal to a Clan warrior 1 to 1. I expect the default ratio will be like 1.5 IS to 1 Clan.

#16 Magik0012

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 460 posts
  • LocationAustin, Texas

Posted 30 January 2013 - 03:22 PM

Will it Make / Break MW:O?
Will it cause instant, EPIC QQ, forum rage?

Yes.

How can they do it?

Er.. Um.. Very Carefully? ;-)

Seriously, I would think you would have to have SOME kind of BV system, even if its super simplistic and you never use the letters B or V ever again.

One thing is for sure, It will be an interesting ride.

#17 Nathan Foxbane

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Wolf
  • The Wolf
  • 2,984 posts

Posted 30 January 2013 - 03:22 PM

There is a way to introduce clan tech without someone, somewhere finding a way to QQ about it?

The only thing I can think of to make the omnimechs themselves remotely fair, is to lock everything that is not in pod space down and deny any customization beyond what is available through pod space.

Weapon side, large customization fees to mount Clan weaponry in IS 'Mechs will only slow people down and spacial limits of using things like IS DHS, FF, and endo (not sure about XLs) will limit to a small degree Clan tech on IS 'Mechs.

The only good limiting factor for that we had before was RnR, because if done right you could not afford to run large amounts of Clan tech all the time. That is gone so I am a bit stuck.

Maybe a MM tweak, but that gets crazy complicated.

#18 SmoothCriminal

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 815 posts

Posted 30 January 2013 - 03:23 PM

View PostJoseph Mallan, on 30 January 2013 - 03:16 PM, said:

Love it. Best way is to randomly drop clan tech VERY rarely in my book. Akin to Mass Effect 3's randomised loot drops. Then if you pick up a PPC you'll be singing huzzah!

#19 hammerreborn

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 3,063 posts
  • LocationAlexandria, VA

Posted 30 January 2013 - 03:23 PM

Seeing everything PGI does causes massive amount of QQ I sincerely doubt that clans won't cause massive QQ from the moment its discussed to implemented and every single change from now until forever

#20 Bhael Fire

Banned - Cheating

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 4,002 posts
  • Twitter: Link
  • Twitch: Link
  • LocationThe Outback wastes of planet Outreach.

Posted 30 January 2013 - 03:24 PM

View PostSadistic Savior, on 30 January 2013 - 03:01 PM, said:

If they balance it the same way as in the table top game, I don't see what the big deal will be. Increase the ratio of IS mechs to clan to compensate for the tech bonus.

Yep. I don't see what the all uproar is about, either. They can easily balance matches by reducing clan opponents. For example, 8 IS mechs against 4 clan mechs or even 12 vs 8. Or whatever...it will depend on how powerful clan tech ends up being.

At any rate, this is a perfectly acceptable way to balance the matches and I would happy play either side if this were the case.

Edited by Bhael Fire, 30 January 2013 - 03:25 PM.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users