Fact Or Fiction: Clan Tech Will Be Impossible To Introduce In A Manner That Doesn't Immediately Cause Epic Qqing?

258 replies to this topic

Poll: Clan QQ (314 member(s) have cast votes)

Will the Clans Make or Break MW:O?

1. Make... (102 votes [32.48%])

Percentage of vote: 32.48%

2. Break (51 votes [16.24%])

Percentage of vote: 16.24%

3. have no frikking clue (62 votes [19.75%])

Percentage of vote: 19.75%

4. ummm.... isn't it broken already? (63 votes [20.06%])

Percentage of vote: 20.06%

5. insert random answer into your post "here" (36 votes [11.46%])

Percentage of vote: 11.46%

Vote Guests cannot vote

#241 Eric darkstar Marr

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 487 posts
  • LocationNC

Posted 31 January 2013 - 12:00 PM

Look so lang as it does 2 stars vs 3 lances there should not be any major issue till the min/max players figure it all out. With that said a crappy pilot even with clan tech will still be a crappy pilot.

So if its 10v12 or 5v8 I see no super problem other then clanners QQing about having to drop in 10s.

Clan drops must be separate from IS drops. So no mixing techs even in PuGs. If you have Clan tech party size would be 5 or 10.

#242 Strig

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 235 posts

Posted 31 January 2013 - 12:02 PM

They will be awesome as long as they are balanced properly. I would suggest the following (what the Devs have decided to do remains to be seen):
  • No cross-pollenation of equipment (i.e., Clan mechs use clan gear, IS mechs use IS gear ... no exceptions)
  • Clan mechs only on Clan teams, IS on IS (Clan team can fight clan or IS team and vice versa, but no mixed mechs on one team)
  • Clans drop as Stars (5 mechs), IS drop as lances (4 mechs) therefore in a 12v12 as a base (what the devs claim to be targeting) IS teams get 3 lances (12 mechs) , Clan only get 2 stars (10 mechs)
  • That's it

#243 Viper69

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,204 posts

Posted 31 January 2013 - 12:42 PM

View PostStrig, on 31 January 2013 - 12:02 PM, said:

They will be awesome as long as they are balanced properly. I would suggest the following (what the Devs have decided to do remains to be seen):
  • No cross-pollenation of equipment (i.e., Clan mechs use clan gear, IS mechs use IS gear ... no exceptions)
  • Clan mechs only on Clan teams, IS on IS (Clan team can fight clan or IS team and vice versa, but no mixed mechs on one team)
  • Clans drop as Stars (5 mechs), IS drop as lances (4 mechs) therefore in a 12v12 as a base (what the devs claim to be targeting) IS teams get 3 lances (12 mechs) , Clan only get 2 stars (10 mechs)
  • That's it

Two clan stars would whup the holy crap out of 3 lances of IS mechs. You would need 3 lances to deal with one star of mechs. That is just a guess as is yours but it also comes down to weight. If the star is an assault star consisting of 1 dire wolf, 2 timber wolves 1 maddog and a hunchback 2c. Those 5 mechs will destroy 10 IS mechs consisting of 2 assaults 3 heavies 3 mediums and 2 lights. That is a 2:1 ratio. You throw in 2 stars then you would need 20 mechs of IS tech. Not to mention if you get a groups consisting solely of Dire wolves or Timber Wolves. Toss in an extremely powerful medium mech the Shadowcat and god help any IS medium mech found alone against it.

#244 Eric darkstar Marr

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 487 posts
  • LocationNC

Posted 31 January 2013 - 12:52 PM

View PostStrig, on 31 January 2013 - 12:02 PM, said:

• That's it

What I have been preaching all along

Also I do not think we will see 2nd line clan mechs for a longer time so no Hunchback IIc or the likes. Also and hear me out Clans would not have access to certain modules like airstrikes longtom etc.. when the devs put them in because that would be dishonorable to them.
So if you have airstrikes or longtoms strikes it could pose a nice balance.

So while 10 direwolves could server a huge problem I would think they would have a weighted balance system in place first as it was something they talk about on and off.

#245 MustrumRidcully

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 10,644 posts

Posted 31 January 2013 - 01:01 PM

View PostHiplyRustic, on 31 January 2013 - 11:39 AM, said:

Here we go again with the difference between paid content and P2W. There is one. There is no ship to ship combat in STO, it's a rail-shotter side game, so no ship grants a competitive advantage.

Are you guys talking STO or SWTOR? Because Startrek Online has sure as hell ship-to-ship combat. It's the best part of the whole game, basically! It's also broken as hell, and all the P2W items there don't help.

There is just one caveat - at least in STO, you can earn Dilithium and exchange it for Zen. There is no way to turn C-Bills into MC at all in MW:O. I think that's one of the worst aspects of it. Both for players as well as for PGI, actually. There is no way for a player to earn mech credits, so people that have time instead of money are simply fracked. But also - a way to earn MC can also make it more tempting to buy some MC - just to finally have enough to afford whatever you want to get... There is a lot less barrier to using the cash shop, and thus eventually also much less barrier to use cash. But you also always enable players to acquire items from the cash shop without playing.

The problem with STO's method IMO is that they use the Dilithium to Zen Exchange process. This means someone is always paying for the Zen in the system, and I think that's what is ultimately making all the P2W items still P2W. Someone had to pay.

#246 Rakashan

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bridesmaid
  • Bridesmaid
  • 333 posts

Posted 31 January 2013 - 01:01 PM

Come on... In this community a Dev sneezing causes massive QQ. Never mind balance or playability...

Yeah, I am interested to see what they do. They can't just release clan tech and make it widely available or nobody will ever run anything else. I can imagine ways to make it available but not prevalent (the best seems to be putting a clear line between IS and Clan mechs and tech and never allowing them to meet and then changing the MM so that clanners drop together and IS drops together with different rules for matching, 8v5 makes the most sense with the maps we have).

Whatever they choose, they've got to do something and what they choose will make some happy and make others unhappy and the QQ shall reign supreme regardless of what they do.

#247 Sadistic Savior

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 907 posts

Posted 31 January 2013 - 01:14 PM

View PostBishop Steiner, on 31 January 2013 - 11:58 AM, said:

not exactly rolling out any "credible evidence to back your argument on that one..... just saying. And 5 million infantry against a hundred bombers dropping MoABs, the "numerical advantage" vanishes... literally.

That analogy obviously fails in MWO...IS mechs most certainly CAN damage and destroy Clan mechs. 1000 Locusts most certainly will kill the best Clan mech.

Numbers do matter in this context. That is why ratios are a valid way to balance tech.

#248 Wales Grey

Dark Clown

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 861 posts
  • Facebook: Link
  • Twitter: Link
  • Twitch: Link
  • LocationThe Frigid North

Posted 31 January 2013 - 01:44 PM

Voted Checkbox.

why do people keep making these threads

#249 Bishop Steiner

ForumWarrior

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Hammer
  • The Hammer
  • 47,187 posts
  • Locationclimbing Mt Tryhard, one smoldering Meta-Mech corpse at a time

Posted 31 January 2013 - 02:03 PM

because when not trolled they actually serve for useful discussion

#250 Sug

• The People's Hero
  • The People
  • 4,627 posts
  • LocationChicago

Posted 31 January 2013 - 02:12 PM

I really wish the devs would give SOME information on their Clan plans, even if it's pre-pre-Alpha ideas that may or may not be used. Just something.

Why so secretive? We know the Clans are coming...

Devs: SURPRISE!! Clan invasion!!!

Us: Uh..no **** it's 3050.

#251 Strig

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 235 posts

Posted 31 January 2013 - 02:21 PM

View PostViper69, on 31 January 2013 - 12:42 PM, said:

Two clan stars would whup the holy crap out of 3 lances of IS mechs. You would need 3 lances to deal with one star of mechs. That is just a guess as is yours but it also comes down to weight. If the star is an assault star consisting of 1 dire wolf, 2 timber wolves 1 maddog and a hunchback 2c. Those 5 mechs will destroy 10 IS mechs consisting of 2 assaults 3 heavies 3 mediums and 2 lights. That is a 2:1 ratio. You throw in 2 stars then you would need 20 mechs of IS tech. Not to mention if you get a groups consisting solely of Dire wolves or Timber Wolves. Toss in an extremely powerful medium mech the Shadowcat and god help any IS medium mech found alone against it.

Possibly, and one of the things I think we really need to balance against is Battle Value (along with ELO - skill). This means you aren't matching purely on weight but on value of gear as well.

Additionally, as darkstar points out:

View PostEric darkstar Marr, on 31 January 2013 - 12:52 PM, said:

Clans would not have access to certain modules like airstrikes longtom etc.. when the devs put them in because that would be dishonorable to them.
So if you have airstrikes or longtoms strikes it could pose a nice balance.

So while 10 direwolves could server a huge problem I would think they would have a weighted balance system in place first as it was something they talk about on and off.

This, I think is important: the Clans play by different rules. They are insanely powerful, so there are gonna have to be balancing factors. Things like limiting "dishonorable" tech will help. Ideally, Clan mechs and tech would also be extremely expensive (not that that will balance game-play, but worth noting).

I have faith that there are many ways to balance Clan mechs to make them fair and fun ...

All that said, the QQing will be EPIC!

#252 Marcuscelkus

• Pip
  • FP Veteran - Beta 2
  • FP Veteran - Beta 2
  • 12 posts
  • LocationBratislava

Posted 31 January 2013 - 02:27 PM

a simple idea. let the clan hardware be available only to players with certain rating. General xp or kill to death ratio and you will have a sieve for all noobs and credit card players. simply one does not buy skills on net.

you wanna best mech tech? so prove to be worthy with your achievments. simple as that :mellow:

#253 Marcuscelkus

• Pip
  • FP Veteran - Beta 2
  • FP Veteran - Beta 2
  • 12 posts
  • LocationBratislava

Posted 31 January 2013 - 02:32 PM

p.s you have to play longer and be good to be able to play clanners. other nice thing would be fraction hardware restriction. e.g you can't have clan tech on IS Atlas just on some combine or clanner version. another example have long tom or similar on clanner tech.

#254 Sug

• The People's Hero
  • The People
  • 4,627 posts
  • LocationChicago

Posted 31 January 2013 - 02:46 PM

View PostMarcuscelkus, on 31 January 2013 - 02:32 PM, said:

p.s you have to play longer and be good to be able to play clanners. other nice thing would be fraction hardware restriction. e.g you can't have clan tech on IS Atlas just on some combine or clanner version. another example have long tom or similar on clanner tech.

Any kind of restriction on who plays Clan will cause an uproar of QQ. Seriously. Imagine all the mouth breathers asking "Wehn is MaDCAT in game?" being told they won't be able to play Clans the second they create an account.

#255 HiplyRustic

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 390 posts

Posted 31 January 2013 - 02:57 PM

View PostMustrumRidcully, on 31 January 2013 - 01:01 PM, said:

Are you guys talking STO or SWTOR? Because Startrek Online has sure as hell ship-to-ship combat. It's the best part of the whole game, basically! It's also broken as hell, and all the P2W items there don't help.

There is just one caveat - at least in STO, you can earn Dilithium and exchange it for Zen. There is no way to turn C-Bills into MC at all in MW:O. I think that's one of the worst aspects of it. Both for players as well as for PGI, actually. There is no way for a player to earn mech credits, so people that have time instead of money are simply fracked. But also - a way to earn MC can also make it more tempting to buy some MC - just to finally have enough to afford whatever you want to get... There is a lot less barrier to using the cash shop, and thus eventually also much less barrier to use cash. But you also always enable players to acquire items from the cash shop without playing.

The problem with STO's method IMO is that they use the Dilithium to Zen Exchange process. This means someone is always paying for the Zen in the system, and I think that's what is ultimately making all the P2W items still P2W. Someone had to pay.

Yes, he was talking about STO while I was thinking SWTOR. Having said that, STO ship sales aren't cash-only, so there is no barrier to working your *** off ingame to be able to get the same ships, through Z/D conversions. P2W environments are cash-shop environments where only by paying can you access the "advantage", so the point remains the same. Refine enough dilithium and put it on the market and you have Zen...there is no comparable mechanic here.

Edited by HiplyRustic, 31 January 2013 - 02:59 PM.

#256 Taemien

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 1,576 posts
  • LocationNorth Carolina

Posted 31 January 2013 - 04:10 PM

View PostBishop Steiner, on 31 January 2013 - 08:04 AM, said:

Really.. since you know what those mechs will have, apparently, and how they will operate, you will toast 4? Man I hope I drop with you on the first Clan Invasion drop... and after we have BOTH been smoked by the Same MadCat.. tell me how you are going to smoke 4 of them again.....

4 Large Lasers into that massive nose of a Center Torso:

Posted Image

Seriously, how could anyone miss that thing? Oh wait.. you can't as evidenced in MW4 and MWLL. I've been playing against Madcats for the last 15 years and have normally come out on top. MWO will be no different. 6 ERLL Madcats in MW4 weren't any trouble then, they won't be trouble now.

You must be a TS hating PUGer to be afraid of that thing.

#257 Bishop Steiner

ForumWarrior

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Hammer
  • The Hammer
  • 47,187 posts
  • Locationclimbing Mt Tryhard, one smoldering Meta-Mech corpse at a time

Posted 01 February 2013 - 05:59 AM

View PostTaemien, on 31 January 2013 - 04:10 PM, said:

4 Large Lasers into that massive nose of a Center Torso:

Posted Image

Seriously, how could anyone miss that thing? Oh wait.. you can't as evidenced in MW4 and MWLL. I've been playing against Madcats for the last 15 years and have normally come out on top. MWO will be no different. 6 ERLL Madcats in MW4 weren't any trouble then, they won't be trouble now.

You must be a TS hating PUGer to be afraid of that thing.

I'll anxiously await your youtube footage of you decimating whole stars all by yourself. And basing ANYTHING of MW4 already tells me how pointless your argument is.

#258 Natasha Kerensky

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 244 posts

Posted 04 February 2013 - 01:05 PM

3 Lances vs 2 Stars. Balance complete.

#259 CoffiNail

Oathmaster

• The Cub
  • The Cub
  • 4,285 posts
  • Facebook: Link
  • Twitter: Link
  • LocationSome place with other Ghost Bears. A dropship or planet, who knows. ((Winnipeg,MB))

Posted 04 February 2013 - 01:06 PM

View PostNatasha Kerensky, on 04 February 2013 - 01:05 PM, said:

3 Lances vs 2 Stars. Balance complete.

The balance we have been should since the Game started development in Nov 2011

Edited by CoffiNail, 04 February 2013 - 01:06 PM.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users