Fact Or Fiction: Clan Tech Will Be Impossible To Introduce In A Manner That Doesn't Immediately Cause Epic Qqing?

258 replies to this topic

Poll: Clan QQ (314 member(s) have cast votes)

Will the Clans Make or Break MW:O?

1. Make... (102 votes [32.48%])

Percentage of vote: 32.48%

2. Break (51 votes [16.24%])

Percentage of vote: 16.24%

3. have no frikking clue (62 votes [19.75%])

Percentage of vote: 19.75%

4. ummm.... isn't it broken already? (63 votes [20.06%])

Percentage of vote: 20.06%

5. insert random answer into your post "here" (36 votes [11.46%])

Percentage of vote: 11.46%

Vote Guests cannot vote

#41 Merky Merc

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Bludgeon
  • The Bludgeon
  • 871 posts
  • LocationRidin down the street in my 6-4

Posted 30 January 2013 - 04:06 PM

View PostBroceratops, on 30 January 2013 - 03:43 PM, said:

the clans will have all the competitive min/max players, and also those wanting to pugstomp

the IS will have the roleplayers

this will actually work out for everyone, assuming the roleplayers are okay with playing the role of getting their *** kicked for over a year without anything resembling a victory

I have to agree with this. Even if they did make it 5v8 I'll take a 5 man premade in clan mechs and stomp stomp stomp all over 8 mans in IS mechs all day. If mix tech doesn't happen the only people in IS will be RP diehards, while clan RPers get all upset when all other clan players don't play with "honor" rules or whatever.

#42 Nostram

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Wrath
  • Wrath
  • 163 posts

Posted 30 January 2013 - 04:07 PM

They could not even introduce a free permanent paint without at least one person coming to the forums to complain for some reason or another.

#43 Kristov Kerensky

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 2,909 posts

Posted 30 January 2013 - 04:15 PM

View PostWarrax the Chaos Warrior, on 30 January 2013 - 03:54 PM, said:

As far as I can tell, a vast majority of the rp'ers are roleplaying as clanners, and they're almost all decended from that what-his-face Kerensky guy.

RPers play whatever draws them, be it the genetically superior and martially raised Clan Trueborn who never uses contractions or vulgar language, who'd rather die then let his wingman kill his target or the rough and tumble IS Merc who is piloting the Mech that's been in his family for the past 300 years and who's got a grudge against House *insert name here* for killing his grandfather back in '20 during some raid on some nowhere rock. I'm a Kerensky because I won the Bloodname in 1994 using MW2 Netmech DOS and I was RPing a Clan Trueborn on AOL in The Registry. In TT, I played William T Kidd, Merc who worked for Steiner for a few years and then actually joined the LCAA and rose up the ranks prior to the Clan Invasion, which in our TT game worked out nothing like FASA's timeline, and after we nuked Strana Mechty till it glowed, retired from the newly formed SLDF and went on to design new Mechs for the SLDF and got very very very rich.

But that's a different game, this is MWO, where I expect to see some RPers and expect to see CoD kiddies in equal proportions. Just as I saw the same ratio of RPers and non-RPers in the Registery, High Council, NBT, etc, etc, etc.

#44 Cerlin

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 922 posts
  • LocationCalifornia or Japan

Posted 30 January 2013 - 04:16 PM

The whining will be epic. I look forward too it. I hope they have BV/separate teams though.

#45 Krazy Kat

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 696 posts
  • LocationTexas

Posted 30 January 2013 - 05:12 PM

Just wait for this: http://www.sarna.net/wiki/Ultra_AC-20

Or this: http://www.sarna.net/wiki/Streak_6

#46 verybad

• 4,229 posts

Posted 30 January 2013 - 05:21 PM

If Clan teams have smaller numbers (eg 10vx 12) Then they won't be all that impressive.

Armor doesn't get much better in clan tech. Just weapons, engines, and hs.

If You're playing a team game, and focus targeting a madcat for example with 4 mechs, it will still die in about 7-8 seconds.

Overall team firepower is the most important factor. Clan Armor values won't rise signifigantly, their mechs aren't tougher, just hgiher firepower.

They will be a bit tougher while still using XL engines but a 10vs 12 fight should be fair. They're not NEARLY as nasty when the range is more controlled by terrain. I dont' think Targeting Computers will be put in either.

Of course that won't stop the QQing.

#47 Thirdstar

• 2,728 posts
  • LocationIndia

Posted 30 January 2013 - 05:22 PM

Entire thread is about 99% speculation. There's nothing that can concretely discussed because there's nothing concrete.

#48 Davers

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 9,886 posts
  • Facebook: Link
  • LocationCanada

Posted 30 January 2013 - 05:24 PM

View PostThirdstar, on 30 January 2013 - 05:22 PM, said:

Entire thread is about 99% speculation. There's nothing that can concretely discussed because there's nothing concrete.

Not true. Just like the Devs based everything in MWO on the tabletop stats and concepts, they will do the same for Clan stuff. I don't know what the heat or damage of an ERMedium laser will be, but I do know that destroying a side torso of a clan mech with an XL engine won't kill it.

#49 Sir Wulfrick

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 872 posts
  • LocationIn a warship, over your planet :-)

Posted 30 January 2013 - 05:25 PM

Clan weapons should be balanced against other clan weapons, not against IS weapons. Clan weapons should be completely OP when compared to equivalent IS weapons.

As long as IS chassis are capable of retro-fitting clan weapons then I see no reason for the IS chassis to instantly become obsolete. Sure, I would imagine that a lot of people will be dashing around in Madcats, but the IS designs are absolutely competitive when used with clan tech & weapons.

#50 MechWarrior071507

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 130 posts

Posted 30 January 2013 - 05:27 PM

No.

For weapon pods, IS will probably be able to equip clan tech.

For everything else, IS can already buy XL, Endo, and FF, which is what makes Clan tech. We're already almost at clan tech for anyone with IS mechs.

#51 Davers

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 9,886 posts
  • LocationCanada

Posted 30 January 2013 - 05:31 PM

View PostSir Wulfrick, on 30 January 2013 - 05:25 PM, said:

Clan weapons should be balanced against other clan weapons, not against IS weapons. Clan weapons should be completely OP when compared to equivalent IS weapons.

As long as IS chassis are capable of retro-fitting clan weapons then I see no reason for the IS chassis to instantly become obsolete. Sure, I would imagine that a lot of people will be dashing around in Madcats, but the IS designs are absolutely competitive when used with clan tech & weapons.

Well, Clan tech isn't compatable with IS in lore (except in mechwarrior games).

But if it was made compatable, then all you would see would be Clan tech, so what difference would the Clans have? Just different mechs that were functionally no different than IS mechs?

The only IS equipment you would see would be the poor trial mechs. (Not that anyone would play trial IS mechs if trial Clan mechs were available)

#52 Bhael Fire

Banned - Cheating

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 4,002 posts
  • Twitter: Link
  • Twitch: Link
  • LocationThe Outback wastes of planet Outreach.

Posted 30 January 2013 - 05:35 PM

View PostMcRoll, on 30 January 2013 - 03:59 PM, said:

If the clan mechs are gonna be stronger than IS, no matter how you put it, people are gonna take the more powerful ones.

Not true. I would gladly use one of my IS mechs to join a match that is 8 vs 5 (2 lances vs 1 star)...or 12 vs 5 (1 company vs 1 star) depending on how powerful the clan tech ends up being in MWO.

#53 MechWarrior071507

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 130 posts

Posted 30 January 2013 - 05:37 PM

View PostDavers, on 30 January 2013 - 05:31 PM, said:

Well, Clan tech isn't compatable with IS in lore (except in mechwarrior games).

But if it was made compatable, then all you would see would be Clan tech, so what difference would the Clans have? Just different mechs that were functionally no different than IS mechs?

The only IS equipment you would see would be the poor trial mechs. (Not that anyone would play trial IS mechs if trial Clan mechs were available)

There is no clan large laser, only large ER laser, which means an IS mech with large laser has better efficiency of heat for damage.

#54 Thirdstar

• 2,728 posts
  • LocationIndia

Posted 30 January 2013 - 05:39 PM

View PostDavers, on 30 January 2013 - 05:24 PM, said:

Not true. Just like the Devs based everything in MWO on the tabletop stats and concepts, they will do the same for Clan stuff. I don't know what the heat or damage of an ERMedium laser will be, but I do know that destroying a side torso of a clan mech with an XL engine won't kill it.

Not sure what that has to do with the thread. We don't know anything about future matchmaking, we don't know about clan weapon balancing and we certainly don't know anything about CW. We don't HOW clan mechs will be introduced, how they'll be priced, whether Clantech can be installed in IS mechs.

The sum total of what we know is "There may be Clans in some form in the games at some point in time". The End.

#55 MechWarrior071507

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 130 posts

Posted 30 January 2013 - 05:42 PM

CLans will be Elite level AIs that can see through walls.

#56 Davers

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 9,886 posts
  • LocationCanada

Posted 30 January 2013 - 05:43 PM

View PostBhael Fire, on 30 January 2013 - 05:35 PM, said:

Not true. I would gladly use one of my IS mechs to join a match that is 8 vs 5 (2 lances vs 1 star)...or 12 vs 5 (1 company vs 1 star) depending on how powerful the clan tech ends up being in MWO.

Well, that's the question isn't it?

Some people seem to be of the mind that it should be a huge advantage, to the point that even winning one match out of a night would be a heroic effort, the rest being complete steamrolls because that was canon.

Some people think that everyone will have the same access to the tech, and perhaps the mechs themselves, so there would be no difference.

I am hoping that they will have a way of balancing them vs IS so they will just be equal, but different. Kind of like the 'high tech' Protoss vs Terrans in Starcraft.

We will just have to wait and see.

#57 GalaxyBluestar

• 3,748 posts
  • Location...

Posted 30 January 2013 - 05:44 PM

depends on how the devs handle their integration into the game... how expensive they are to run... how many can be deployed in the match and or how matchmaking treats them to IS counterparts.

wait until we here devs talking about imediate plans involving claners. this poll is well over jumping the gun.

Edited by GalaxyBluestar, 30 January 2013 - 05:44 PM.

#58 Davers

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 9,886 posts
  • LocationCanada

Posted 30 January 2013 - 05:47 PM

View PostKhorek, on 30 January 2013 - 05:37 PM, said:

There is no clan large laser, only large ER laser, which means an IS mech with large laser has better efficiency of heat for damage.

Who said Clan LL? Not I.

View PostThirdstar, on 30 January 2013 - 05:39 PM, said:

Not sure what that has to do with the thread. We don't know anything about future matchmaking, we don't know about clan weapon balancing and we certainly don't know anything about CW. We don't HOW clan mechs will be introduced, how they'll be priced, whether Clantech can be installed in IS mechs.

The sum total of what we know is "There may be Clans in some form in the games at some point in time". The End.

You said nothing was concrete so there could be no discussion. I said some things are known, so there can be speculation.

#59 Thirdstar

• 2,728 posts
  • LocationIndia

Posted 30 January 2013 - 05:51 PM

View PostDavers, on 30 January 2013 - 05:47 PM, said:

Who said Clan LL? Not I.

You said nothing was concrete so there could be no discussion. I said some things are known, so there can be speculation.

Actually that's not exactly what I said. I didn't say that there would be NO discussion just that any discussion had would be purely based on speculation hence my 'concrete' modifier. In essence we're all talking into the wind.

#60 Kristov Kerensky

• FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 2,909 posts

Posted 30 January 2013 - 06:04 PM

View PostKhorek, on 30 January 2013 - 05:27 PM, said:

No.

For weapon pods, IS will probably be able to equip clan tech.

For everything else, IS can already buy XL, Endo, and FF, which is what makes Clan tech. We're already almost at clan tech for anyone with IS mechs.

Uh, no BT TT knowledge I take it? XL, Endo and FF are very different things when you go from IS to Clan. IS XL engine, 3 crit slots on each torso side, which means losing your torso side, either one, is instant death. Clan XL engine, 2 crit slots on each torso side, so you can blow the side off a Clan Mech and all you'll do is annoy the driver. Endo IS is 14 slots, Clan are 7 slots each, otherwise they do function the same, FF IS is 14 slots while Clan is 7 otherwise the same...except..the Clan versions gain more tonnage AND use less crit space, 20% for Clan vs 12% for IS.

Weapons..oh yeah, no Clan Large Lasers, they only have ER or Pulse, they stopped using those silly normal lasers years ago. Better range, less heat, more damage, otherwise, yeah, just the same as IS..oh except..IS versions weigh more and produce more heat and have lower ranges..yeah..totally the same. PPCs..Clans don't use those, just the ERPPC, which weighs less, uses less space, has greater range, does more damage(15) but it DOES have the same heat as the IS ERPPC, so it's like totally the same! LRMs..less tonnage, less space required, less heat, and NO min range restriction! Gauss, same thing, less tonnage/space, less heat and no min range restrictions(none on IS gauss so not a big deal there). Yeah, pick a Clan piece of equipment and it's better then any IS piece, it'll weigh less, use less space, have greater range, do more damage and produce less heat, pick whichever is appropiate.

Engine weights and armor amounts are the the only things that don't change between IS and Clan. Really, that's about the only things that are the same, even their neurohelmets are more advanced, weigh less and are less bulky. They also cured cancer and various other ailments that still exist in the IS...not bsing you there, it's part of the BTech lore.

IS Mechs don't use weapon pods by the way, Omnis are a Clan exclusive thing for another 6 years, and mixing IS and Clan tech is something that doesn't happen for another 6 years either(and that's being REAL nice, it's technically 10 years).

As for who wouldn't want to use that Clan tech..me and quite a few others, we have no problems using IS tech and Mechs to defeat Clan tech and Mechs, we've done it before in previous MW titles in leagues like NBT which restricted what tech and Mechs you could use based on your faction. It's not the tech that makes you good, it's skill, doesn't matter if your erppc will go 2x as far and do half again as much damage if you can't HIT the target. Oh, another thing the Clans have that the IS doesn't have, Targeting Computers. The IS doesn't those for another 12 years btw. Not sure if they'll include those or not, but it would be interesting, to say the least..no, they don't do what you think either, http://www.sarna.net...geting_Computer

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users