Do Ddcs Make Good Lrm Boats?

74 replies to this topic

Poll: Do DDCS make good LRM boats? (176 member(s) have cast votes)

Do DDCs make good lrm boats?

1. Yes, immune to non-tag LRM boats. (23 votes [8.16%])

Percentage of vote: 8.16%

2. Yes, in the hands of a skilled player they're deadly (36 votes [12.77%])

Percentage of vote: 12.77%

3. Not sure which LRM boat is killing me while I chase squirrels (10 votes [3.55%])

Percentage of vote: 3.55%

4. No, Catapults and Stalkers are better (51 votes [18.09%])

Percentage of vote: 18.09%

5. No, DDCs sitting 500m behind their team are a waste of an assault (101 votes [35.82%])

Percentage of vote: 35.82%

6. No, DDCs give up too much usefulness to load up on LRMs (61 votes [21.63%])

Percentage of vote: 21.63%

Vote Guests cannot vote

#1 Training Instructor

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,218 posts
  • LocationMoscow

Posted 06 February 2013 - 03:16 PM

In my opinion, no. I've played the, and mastered the DDC. When you turn it into an LRM boat, you force your brawlers out ahead of the ecm bubble, and into the lrm rain. In order to have TAG to break other ECM DDCs, you have to give up half your laser firepower. If you don't pack TAG, someone else has to, and you better hope you're on voicecoms with them and they don't die.

You give up a lot of brawling alpha ability, while providing minimal punch that a Catapult C4 or C1 canj't provide,and providing less punch than a Stalker can provide, while also being able to pack enough lasers to defend itself from mediums and lights.

When I see you on my team, I'm not counting you as part of the equation, but I'll count you as a good distraction for the other team.

#2 Wispsy

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Talon
  • Talon
  • 2,007 posts

Posted 06 February 2013 - 03:20 PM

DDC is the best LRM boat. If you think it is a waste of an assault you are not doing it right.

#3 Protoculture

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 428 posts

Posted 06 February 2013 - 03:21 PM

View PostWispsy, on 06 February 2013 - 03:20 PM, said:

DDC is the best LRM boat. If you think it is a waste of an assault you are not doing it right.

Or maybe I like one-shotting lights and 2 shotting a lot of other things with my face hugger better.

#4 Taizan

Com Guard

• 1,692 posts
  • LocationGalatea (NRW)

Posted 06 February 2013 - 03:22 PM

AC/20 3 X SRM6 seems to be the popular D-DC build, that's all I saw tonight ^^

#5 Kristov Kerensky

• FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 2,909 posts

Posted 06 February 2013 - 03:24 PM

You sound like the guy in a drop I did last night with my DDC LRM boat. He shut his mouth after seeing me actually do more damage and get more kills then the #2 and #3 people combined no less.

It's a team work oriented design, and as long as that team work is happening, it's effective as all hells. But like any other Mech, without team work, it's pretty damn useless.

I've seen Spiders that were just incredible, I've seen Atlases that didn't do 20 points of damage with an AC20 2 LL and 3 SRM6s, there's no magic Mech or build, it's the pilot's skill and the team work or lack thereof that makes a Mech/build worthwhile.

#6 Solis Obscuri

Don't Care How I Want It Now!

• The DeathRain
  • The DeathRain
  • 4,751 posts
  • LocationPomme de Terre

Posted 06 February 2013 - 03:25 PM

Pretty much, though some people would argue for the AWS-8R. The D-DC is a lot tougher, has ECM, and has better hardpoints to set up for close defense, though.

View PostTaizan, on 06 February 2013 - 03:22 PM, said:

I'd say it's a toss-up between that and dual UAC/5s and triple SSRM-2s.

#7 Training Instructor

• 1,218 posts
  • LocationMoscow

Posted 06 February 2013 - 03:26 PM

Because right now it's the most effective use of a DDC. When we eventually get bigger maps down the road, the superior mobility of the Catapults will only further highlight how much more useful they are in the lrm role, since they'll be able to move position a lot more often.

#8 Protoculture

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 428 posts

Posted 06 February 2013 - 03:29 PM

I like mine with 2 medium pulse arms too. IDK what's popular but I worked out my build and carefully balanced ammo as soon as I got one which was over the 2x XP weekend. Since there is actually a chance of hitting a light now I see noticeably less of them (although still plenty of Raven 3L's; often in pre-made clusters FUN FACT: A group of Ravens is called an Unkindness).

#9 Vapor Trail

• 1,287 posts
  • LocationNorfolk VA

Posted 06 February 2013 - 03:30 PM

Not to mention longer range direct fire weapons becoming more effective due to fewer cover options. Hopefully at least.

#10 One Medic Army

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,985 posts
  • LocationBay Area, California

Posted 06 February 2013 - 03:30 PM

If you want to boat LRMs in an assault, do it in a stalker.
You get MORE LRMs and better backup weapons!

Seriously, I make it my mission in life to find and destroy every D-DC LRM boat I can.

If you want to be at least marginally effective with it, you need a TAG, which means you have 1 energy slot left, and 2 ballistic slots. You will not be able to brawl very well, and you won't be able to stop light mechs from destroying you.

Compare to a Stalker which can mount 4 Medium Lasers with their 4 LRM15 racks, have a TAG, and still have an open weapon hardpoint. Lights are still a danger but 4 ML can drive one off if you're decent, and brawling 4ML can destroy damaged sections.

#11 Training Instructor

• 1,218 posts
  • LocationMoscow

Posted 06 February 2013 - 03:39 PM

View PostKristov Kerensky, on 06 February 2013 - 03:24 PM, said:

You sound like the guy in a drop I did last night with my DDC LRM boat. He shut his mouth after seeing me actually do more damage and get more kills then the #2 and #3 people combined no less.

It's a team work oriented design, and as long as that team work is happening, it's effective as all hells. But like any other Mech, without team work, it's pretty damn useless.

I've seen Spiders that were just incredible, I've seen Atlases that didn't do 20 points of damage with an AC20 2 LL and 3 SRM6s, there's no magic Mech or build, it's the pilot's skill and the team work or lack thereof that makes a Mech/build worthwhile.

The typical DDC lrm boat. He spent most of the match taking shots from 800m, ignoring the movements of his team, and maybe landed some good spread out damage on some mechs that were moving position on certain maps. Maybe he even got a kill. At the end of the match though, he's alone against 3-6 enemy mechs who killed all his teammates and he's toast.

On some matches you get lucky and your team has a couple of other LRM boats+ the ecm lights, while the other team has one or none. This is called a f**king pugstomp, and you just got lucky because your "point the crosshairs at someone until they turn red and then pull the trigger" skills will surely test the limits of your ammo storage this match.

What can a DDC Atlas do that a C4 Catapult can't? Oh, ECM cover. That definitely wouldn't be more useful for your brawlers than for you hanging way back.

Know what I see from good 8man teams? I see DDC LRM boats rendered ineffective because their spotters get gunned down really quickly. This leads me to believe that the DDC lrm boat is mostly an effective loadout against less-experienced teams who don't know how to focus fire from longer ranges. At worst, it's a weapon people use against pugs to inflate their score while minimizing their risk.

If that's what you're doing, then proudly do it. I'm not slamming you. I'm just trying to get people to justify how this mech works against real competition. From what I've seen, it doesn't.

#12 Rat of the Legion Vega

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Bushido
  • The Bushido
  • 384 posts

Posted 06 February 2013 - 04:05 PM

Atlases have the most armor in the game because they belong on the front lines, absorbing fire for their team. Not cowering in the back like so many chicken-hearted Atlas pilots seem to do nowdays. Every time you bring your Atlas, the enemy gets an assault too, which is one more assault the rest of your team has to try and take down alone on the front line while you waste your armor in the back row where it's useless.

Wispsy just says it's good because he wants an easy target behind enemy lines to take down with his light mech.

Edited by Rat of the Legion Vega, 06 February 2013 - 04:09 PM.

#13 w0rm

• Giant Helper
  • 2,162 posts

Posted 06 February 2013 - 04:09 PM

DDC's are born to brawl with their team at the frontline.

#14 Tahribator

• Fire
  • Fire
  • 1,565 posts

Posted 06 February 2013 - 04:09 PM

For all the things good, DO NOT MISSILEBOAT THE ATLAS. Your team needs you at frontline, tanking and dealing damage. Not 1km away from the battlefield while enemy assaults eat your heavies/meds for breakfast.

Use a catapult instead. Problem solved.

Edited by Tahribator, 06 February 2013 - 04:10 PM.

#15 Broceratops

• 1,903 posts

Posted 06 February 2013 - 04:15 PM

you can fit 2 lrm20s with artemis and 4 ML in a catapult that goes 82kph with 1280 ammo

so people would have to explain to me why you need an assault that is 40 tons heavier to do the same thing. ecm is not worth 40 tons by the way.

#16 Glythe

• 1,566 posts

Posted 06 February 2013 - 04:17 PM

There are two really great LRM boats in this game right now......

The DDC is one and the Stalker 5S is the other.

While the DDC has ECM it is negated by anyone who brings TAG. If you do not have TAG as a missile boat then you are severely gimping your damage potential.

Meanwhile the Stalker 5S has plenty of room for TAG, double AMS (2k ammo suggested) and 5 lasers. You can pack a lot of missiles and lasers into a stalker and really put some hurt on the enemy. The Stalker is a much harder target to hit at range due to its profile.

While I like the founders catapult it is really hard to compete with a platform that can hold twice as many launchers (stalker) and still be a close range death machine with TAG. The speed of the catapult is nice..... but it is often better to deliver devastating hits so you don't have to run. Barrages of 50+ missiles are hard to keep taking and survive.

Edited by Glythe, 06 February 2013 - 04:18 PM.

#17 Kristov Kerensky

• FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 2,909 posts

Posted 06 February 2013 - 04:18 PM

It's funny, but looking at the DDC off the shelf, before any changes are made by the pilot, it comes complete with an LRM20, which we all know is a MUST have for the brawler Mech...

Before you tell us what a Mech was designed for, why don't you go read about what they were actually designed for. DDC is not a brawler, it's a support and command Mech BY DESIGN.

I'm terribly sorry I don't play this game the way YOU demand I play it. All I can say is please kindly go find a cliff and ****** yourself with that brawler you want right off it, and do have a nice day.

#18 Wispsy

• Talon
  • Talon
  • 2,007 posts

Posted 06 February 2013 - 04:20 PM

A DDC can stand 300m out and annihilate people, with a tag and artemis on 3x15s then you will do more dps to the centre torso then any direct fire weapon can achieve, back it up with a largepulse, ecm and loads of armour with a little clever positioning you will be able to tear through teams on your own.

#19 Soulscour

• Shredder
  • Shredder
  • 1,117 posts

Posted 06 February 2013 - 04:20 PM

DDC can make great LRM boats. I personally do not like to use mine for that.

#20 Skadi

• 4,268 posts
  • LocationUtgarde Pinnacle

Posted 06 February 2013 - 04:22 PM

While i do think triple LRM-15 Atlas is still good, quad LRM-15 stalker is better.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users