Which Centurion?

81 replies to this topic

#1 Dizzywig

• Pip
  • Knight Errant
  • 12 posts

Posted 10 February 2013 - 05:02 AM

So I've decided my next mech will be a Cent, but I'm unsure as to which variant I should pick up first. I thought about getting the CN9-D, but wasn't sure if I'd be able to afford all its upgrades after buying it. (The engine, mostly. Unless the XL 300 is good enough?) CN9-A looks like the cheaper option, and I don't fancy the CN9-AL too much for its heating issues.

I've been playing with my Catapult K2 most of the while, with 4 PPC build for sniping and 4 MLAs and 2 UAC/5s for some brawling. Not too sure what Cent'd fit that sort of playstyle, but my best bet would be either the CN9-D or -A, I suppose. Any suggestions?

#2 Budor

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,565 posts

Posted 10 February 2013 - 05:24 AM

If you buy the D the 300xl from it can be used on a ton of other mechs efficently (pults-C1,C4,A1, jenners, dragons, even on some phracts).

If this is not an huge advantage id go with the A or AL. Running a XL'd centurion isnt my cup of tea

#3 Stingz

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,159 posts
  • Location*SIGNAL LOST*

Posted 10 February 2013 - 05:34 AM

Centurion-D is fast enough with the XL 300 (97 k/ph), speed.

Centurion-AL saves the most weight from double heatsinks, all-purpose mech.

Centurion-A has 3 missile hardpoints, burst damage/ ballistic mech.

I still run my CN9-AL mostly stock, will probably swap for an ER Large since it runs cold even on Caustic. The trial -AL was good enough to get me to buy one (and make better).

Edited by Stingz, 10 February 2013 - 05:36 AM.

#4 Dizzywig

• Pip
  • Knight Errant
  • 12 posts

Posted 10 February 2013 - 05:51 AM

View PostBudor, on 10 February 2013 - 05:24 AM, said:

If you buy the D the 300xl from it can be used on a ton of other mechs efficently (pults-C1,C4,A1, jenners, dragons, even on some phracts). If this is not an huge advantage id go with the A or AL. Running a XL'd centurion isnt my cup of tea

I've already got an XL 300 from my cats, so I don't really fancy the CN9-D's engine all that much.

View PostStingz, on 10 February 2013 - 05:34 AM, said:

I still run my CN9-AL mostly stock, will probably swap for an ER Large since it runs cold even on Caustic. The trial -AL was good enough to get me to buy one (and make better).

How do you play your AL? As a skirmisher just running about, or do you come in close and try and land hits at point blank? Honestly, I lean more towards the latter, so I'm starting to fancy the CN9-A's ballistic slot for a UAC/5 and SRMs

#5 Bandokay

• PipPip
  • 48 posts
  • LocationHamburg

Posted 10 February 2013 - 06:11 AM

all are fun with standard engine in Zombie mode

#6 Stingz

• 1,159 posts
  • Location*SIGNAL LOST*

Posted 10 February 2013 - 06:11 AM

View PostDizzywig, on 10 February 2013 - 05:51 AM, said:

How do you play your AL? As a skirmisher just running about, or do you come in close and try and land hits at point blank? Honestly, I lean more towards the latter, so I'm starting to fancy the CN9-A's ballistic slot for a UAC/5 and SRMs

Support mech that can hold its own is what it's built for, boosting the firepower of teammates nearby.

Since you're only using one, an AC/5 will be better for consistent damage. UAC/5 has the annoying habit of jamming even on the first shot. Stock:[Build.I], Fully Custom [Build.II]

Edited by Stingz, 10 February 2013 - 06:17 AM.

#7 Ratpoison

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 851 posts

Posted 10 February 2013 - 06:18 AM

The CN9-A is the strongest of the three Centurions. The three missile points significantly increase your damage output, and is a larger advantage than the CN9-D's speed or the CN9-AL's four energy hardpoints. The Centurion is my main mech and I've tried dozens of different builds on them, but I've settled on these as the strongest:

CN9-A
CN9-D
CN9-AL

The CN9-A build is a high damage fighter, effective against mediums and heavier. The CN9-D build is an all purpose fast attack build, very fast and effective against most mechs. The CN9-AL build is a highly effective light killer that still has enough damage to destroy targeted components on heavier mechs.

The Centurion is a very versatile mech that can be built to fit many styles, but whatever you build should cater to the strengths of the chassis. Always have an XL engine, block hits with that left arm, apply your damage where the enemy's firepower is kept, and keep moving. A Centurion that isn't moving at least 90kph is underwhelming. Upgrade the engine and get speed tweak as soon as you can.

#8 Ratpoison

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 851 posts

Posted 10 February 2013 - 06:23 AM

View PostStingz, on 10 February 2013 - 06:11 AM, said:

Support mech that can hold its own is what it's built for, boosting the firepower of teammates nearby.

Since you're only using one, an AC/5 will be better for consistent damage. UAC/5 has the annoying habit of jamming even on the first shot. Stock:[Build.I], Fully Custom [Build.II]

I would strongly dispute that. The AC/5 as a solo weapon is incredibly underwhelming. The UAC/5 merely requires weapon discipline. The single fire recycle time is a mere 1.1 seconds, as opposed to the AC/5's 1.7 seconds, and the UAC/5 has the ability to double fire to dramatically increase your burst damage(usually, anyway). If you're careful with your shots and your timing, you wont jam it. Know when to single fire and when to double fire. Either has a much higher dps than the AC/5.

The ballistic slot on the Centurion should always be filled with either a UAC/5 or an AC/10. All of the other ballistics are underwhelming for the tonnage.

#9 Stingz

• 1,159 posts
  • Location*SIGNAL LOST*

Posted 10 February 2013 - 06:26 AM

View PosttortuousGoddess, on 10 February 2013 - 06:18 AM, said:

Always have an XL engine, block hits with that left arm, apply your damage where the enemy's firepower is kept, and keep moving. A Centurion that isn't moving at least 90kph is underwhelming. Upgrade the engine and get speed tweak as soon as you can.

Only the Centurion-D can hit 90 without speed tweak, and the others can hit 90 speed tweak'ed without an XL.

#10 Ratpoison

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 851 posts

Posted 10 February 2013 - 06:31 AM

View PostStingz, on 10 February 2013 - 06:26 AM, said:

Only the Centurion-D can hit 90 without speed tweak, and the others can hit 90 speed tweak'ed without an XL.

And if you read the post you'd have seen that I said to get speed tweak and an upgraded engine as soon as possible.

The standard engines on the Centurion are a waste of tonnage. Do not use them.

#11 Dizzywig

• Pip
  • Knight Errant
  • 12 posts

Posted 10 February 2013 - 07:10 AM

View PosttortuousGoddess, on 10 February 2013 - 06:18 AM, said:

The CN9-A is the strongest of the three Centurions. The three missile points significantly increase your damage output, and is a larger advantage than the CN9-D's speed or the CN9-AL's four energy hardpoints. The Centurion is my main mech and I've tried dozens of different builds on them, but I've settled on these as the strongest: CN9-A CN9-D CN9-AL The CN9-A build is a high damage fighter, effective against mediums and heavier. The CN9-D build is an all purpose fast attack build, very fast and effective against most mechs. The CN9-AL build is a highly effective light killer that still has enough damage to destroy targeted components on heavier mechs. The Centurion is a very versatile mech that can be built to fit many styles, but whatever you build should cater to the strengths of the chassis. Always have an XL engine, block hits with that left arm, apply your damage where the enemy's firepower is kept, and keep moving. A Centurion that isn't moving at least 90kph is underwhelming. Upgrade the engine and get speed tweak as soon as you can.

I really like that CN9-A build. I'll definitely try it.

#12 Stingz

• 1,159 posts
  • Location*SIGNAL LOST*

Posted 10 February 2013 - 07:18 AM

View PosttortuousGoddess, on 10 February 2013 - 06:31 AM, said:

And if you read the post you'd have seen that I said to get speed tweak and an upgraded engine as soon as possible.

The standard engines on the Centurion are a waste of tonnage. Do not use them.

XL means a really easy kill, and a waste of the CT Laser slots. The Centurion hitbox is too big for XL engines other than the -D.

#13 Kserin

• Pip
  • 17 posts

Posted 10 February 2013 - 07:28 AM

I love my CN9-D. I run 1 UAC5, 2 SRM6, 2 ML, XL300. 4/5 games I will top damage charts regardless of what other mechs I drop with. The key to success however is knowing when to engage, as you are NOT a frontline brawler, but a skirmisher/stiker/baiter (so many times I have gone around a hill into 4 enemy mechs, to run away back to my friends hurt, then the enemies come chasing and we clean up).

To the person saying the UAC5 isn't a great weapon on it's own - You're right, if it's your primary weapon it's not. But if it's supplemental, it's a HUGE increase in DPS. I tried the 9-D with just the 2 MPL and 2 SRM6 with ARtemis, and I found the damage lacking.

Moral of the story? If you like the 9-A, the 9-D plays similarly but with a lot more positional and engagement control, and slightly less rambo ability/firepower (arguably less, as the UAC5 easily can make up for the missing SRM6).

#14 NRP

• Fire
  • Fire
  • 3,949 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

Posted 10 February 2013 - 08:42 AM

I'll probably get flack for this, but the Wang is fun as hell. It's got an AC/20!! It's pretty fragile, so you really have to protect your right side. And it has an AC/20!!

I really like AC/20s. If you stay with the group and team shoot, you can quickly drop any mech in the game from a reasonably safe distance. Suddenly getting killed by that A1 out there at a distance isn't such foregone conclusion. 3-4 well placed shots will either totally disarm it or drop it out right.

#15 Hex Pallett

• Urban Commando
  • Urban Commando
  • 2,009 posts
  • Twitter: Link
  • LocationHomeless, in the streets of Solaris 7

Posted 10 February 2013 - 09:07 AM

I don't know about others but I have an A, AL and a Wang. All with good results.

#16 Bl1tzcrank

• PipPip
  • Bad Company
  • 24 posts

Posted 10 February 2013 - 09:59 AM

Well I used to play TT some and I always did like the lighter mechs. Most of the time I tend to lean towards fast and agile in just about any game so I may be a bit bias'd. I actually haven't been able to play MWO until a couple weeks ago so I'm quite a bit behind everyone too. Now I've played all the cents and i agree with most of what's been said but for me 9-D is the best. If you're new to MW period I'd recommend the 9-A b/c it's a very nice all around mech that doesn't die so easily. If you run the 9-D just don't stand still! So ez to take out a cents arm for one but XL engines explode from LR torso spots so. . . . . RUN!! It's basicaly an evade % if you stay moving. Tweaking a mech really ends up coming down to single tons eventually so I like using the ultra instead of AC/10. Still solid dmg once you get the hang of it but it frees up an extra ton for w/e u want to use. I did actualy go up to a faster engine but I have to say the stock 300 would definately be fast enough for a cent. My build is fairly unique and fits my playstyle. GL and happy hunting!!

#17 CrossingRover

Rookie

• 3 posts

Posted 10 February 2013 - 11:12 AM

I warn you in advance, I am not a particularly experienced player. The mech I am discussing is in fact my first and only mech, but has been incredibly fun to use so far. So to begin, I have found the CN9-A excels as a short range hit-and-run attacker. I use 2 MPL and 3 SRM 6 with a STD260. In this arrangement the left and right arms can act as shields when under fire. The main strategy is to stick with my team until the enemy is sighted, and then flank the opposing team. When I judge that the time is right, I isolate 1 Assault or Heavy mech that is slow enough or weak enough for me to strike. At that point I swoop in from behind and obliterate their back armor at point blank. This build is also good for chasing down light mechs, as 1 volley of SRMs is usually enough to either cripple them, or force them to retreat. The MPLs in the center torso plus a standard engine means that even when I am just a center torso with legs, I can still provide enough firepower to do some good. I would very much like to try a different style of build though, but I'm not sure if I should buy an AL or modify my A to accomplish it. My goal would be to create a longer-ranged Cent that could function as fire support. I also had a perhaps foolish idea to use the speed of an XL engine to make a loadout that could run to a good vantage point, take some long-range shots that do a good bit of damage, and retain enough speed to bug out as soon as I am spotted.

#18 Elkfire

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Survivor
  • Survivor
  • 483 posts

Posted 10 February 2013 - 11:35 AM

All I can say is that an XL engine is probably a bad idea on the AL or the A. The D is the only one that can mount a large enough engine for the speed to offset the giant torsos, and even then you're giving up the one thing that makes the Centurion a tough medium. It can zombie better than any other mech out there; you can be running around with only your left/center torsos and legs intact and still be doing a good amount of damage.

Edited by Elkfire, 10 February 2013 - 11:47 AM.

#19 TheFlyingScotsman

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 639 posts
  • LocationCA

Posted 10 February 2013 - 12:21 PM

I love my AL. (2LPL 2SRM4 + Artemis OR 2LL Srm4 + Srm 6 + Artemis.)

It isnt as fast, but mediums are support mechs, and only need enough speed to stay safe among their team/nearby cover. It makes very good use of slots and isnt too reliant on heavy ballistics or ammo.

I rarely score under 300 damage in a match with it, but like any medium, it is very unforgiving of piloting errors.

#20 CrossingRover

Rookie

• 3 posts

Posted 10 February 2013 - 01:05 PM

View PostTheFlyingScotsman, on 10 February 2013 - 12:21 PM, said:

I love my AL. (2LPL 2SRM4 + Artemis OR 2LL Srm4 + Srm 6 + Artemis.)

It isnt as fast, but mediums are support mechs, and only need enough speed to stay safe among their team/nearby cover. It makes very good use of slots and isnt too reliant on heavy ballistics or ammo.

I rarely score under 300 damage in a match with it, but like any medium, it is very unforgiving of piloting errors.

I just purchased an AL like I had talked about in my last post. I've tried it out and I think I like it a good bit in a nearly stock config (removed the Small Laser and added a Heatsink). The LRM10 seems pretty effective, and the LL plus 2 ML has a good punch. What would you recommend if I wanted to keep it focused around long range? I was thinking something like dropping the LL for a PPC of some kind and using a slightly bigger engine than the 200.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users