My Conclusion On Ecm

71 replies to this topic

#1 Red squirrel

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 1,626 posts

Posted 18 February 2013 - 01:24 PM

Some time has passed and the ECM discussion has become more calm. ... but it is still very active.

After a longer time of abstinence of light mechs I played my COM, SDR, RVN, JR again over the last days.

My personal conclusion about ECM is:
It's equipped to the wrong mechs. It really should be for mechs without missile hard points.
Especially the RVN-3L and COM-2D outclass all other variants of their chassis.

Further, the devs should decide whether ECM is a short range or a long range electronic warfare device. For me it seems ECM does far too much. Either make it

1) A Streak SRM and NARC counter with reduced target information for the enemy on short range plus interrupted C3 target sharing

or

2) a long range radar invisibility shield and LRM counter

but not both in one small device.

Edit: For all of you "not again" forum users.
This is ECM complain 2.0 :D

Edited by Red squirrel, 18 February 2013 - 01:34 PM.

#2 Team Leader

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,222 posts
  • LocationUrbanmech and Machine Gun Advocate

Posted 18 February 2013 - 01:27 PM

I agree. I think the 2 functions you listed should be separate equipment. The second function alone should be 2 tons at least.

#3 Death Weasel

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Philanthropist
  • Philanthropist
  • 227 posts
  • LocationDrinking your milk from the carton.

Posted 18 February 2013 - 01:27 PM

Not to put too fine a point on it, but this is just a reworking of an unknown number of threads.

Good luck. The flame was will start at any moment.

#4 Kousagi

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 676 posts

Posted 18 February 2013 - 01:30 PM

*sigh* Oh look, Another ECM thread... Lets see how many times the same thing is repeated. The horse, its dead. Let it Rest in peace...

#5 Red squirrel

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 1,626 posts

Posted 18 February 2013 - 01:32 PM

View PostPanzershriek, on 18 February 2013 - 01:27 PM, said:

Not to put too fine a point on it, but this is just a reworking of an unknown number of threads.

Good luck. The flame was will start at any moment.

At least the topic gets some attention this way.
And since the community is still waiting for an answer from the devs why not hold the flame of "ECM is broken" high so that all can see it :D may the flame begin...

Okay to get serious: It feels as if the devs want to sit this one out. I for one will complain until something happens. I'm not in the QQ ECM is so OP faction (House Kurita(damn not serious again) :o ). But there need to be some adjustments.

#6 Z0MBIE Y0SHI

• 1,152 posts
  • LocationStrana Mechty

Posted 18 February 2013 - 01:33 PM

Posted Image

However, I do agree to some extent =P

#7 CDLord HHGD

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 9,190 posts
  • Location"You're not comp if you're not stock."

Posted 18 February 2013 - 01:34 PM

I have brought it up before as a possible solution to ECM so I'll put it here as well.

Right now ECM does the job of three pieces of equipment: Guardian EMC, Angel ECM, and Null Signature (you can find these on sarna.net). Currently ECM weighs in at 1.5 tons and 2 crits. Sarna does not list weights or sizes for the others so I use what is available as a guide.

I suggest either splitting current ECM up into the separate components each weighing 1.5 tons and taking two crits....

OR

Keep the current ECM as is and change it to weigh 4.5 tons and take 6 crits.

#8 Red squirrel

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 1,626 posts

Posted 18 February 2013 - 01:37 PM

View PostZ0MBIE Y0SHI, on 18 February 2013 - 01:33 PM, said:

Posted Image

However, I do agree to some extent =P

This proves that I was so right to start this thread.

I guess it's too late to reanimate, so lets buy a new one.

Posted Image
Look I got ECM!

Edited by Red squirrel, 18 February 2013 - 01:37 PM.

#9 Jesus Box

Clone

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 111 posts
  • LocationInside a gold painted D-DC

Posted 18 February 2013 - 01:40 PM

ECM is fine the way it is. Actually, no, it's not. They should buff it. I want it to make missiles change target midair, then fly back to the shooter. Also, let's get rid of that 180-200m range window. Finally, let's make it so that the carrier of the device is just flat out invisible. Please get to work on these changes immediately, Piranha.

#10 hammerreborn

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 3,063 posts
  • LocationAlexandria, VA

Posted 18 February 2013 - 01:44 PM

The discussion is only active because you make at least 3 new threads a week QQing.

#11 Red squirrel

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 1,626 posts

Posted 18 February 2013 - 01:53 PM

View Posthammerreborn, on 18 February 2013 - 01:44 PM, said:

The discussion is only active because you make at least 3 new threads a week QQing.

lol :D nice try
click on my profile -> find content -> only topics

you can count how many ECM threads I started if you have the time....but lets face it - this is my first one.

#12 wynce

• PipPipPip
  • Shredder
  • Shredder
  • 57 posts
  • LocationBoston

Posted 18 February 2013 - 02:09 PM

I agree, it just does too much for almost no cost.

#13 Eddrick

• Storm
  • Storm
  • 1,493 posts
  • Facebook: Link
  • LocationCanyon Lake, TX.

Posted 18 February 2013 - 02:12 PM

View Postcdlord, on 18 February 2013 - 01:34 PM, said:

I have brought it up before as a possible solution to ECM so I'll put it here as well.

Right now ECM does the job of three pieces of equipment: Guardian EMC, Angel ECM, and Null Signature (you can find these on sarna.net). Currently ECM weighs in at 1.5 tons and 2 crits. Sarna does not list weights or sizes for the others so I use what is available as a guide.

I suggest either splitting current ECM up into the separate components each weighing 1.5 tons and taking two crits....

OR

Keep the current ECM as is and change it to weigh 4.5 tons and take 6 crits.

http://www.sarna.net...Equipment_Lists shows Angle ECM Suite 2 tons and 2 critical slots, Null Signatrue System 0 tons 7 critical slots divided between all sections besides the head.. You may find something on the list you didn't know about. I did.

Edited by Eddrick, 18 February 2013 - 02:13 PM.

#14 Hekalite

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 424 posts

Posted 18 February 2013 - 02:35 PM

I'd just like to point out that by the day after a major patch every thread is beating a dead horse until the next patch or some comment by one of the devs.

Balancing ECM with weight and crits seems obvious to me. I'd also be happier if ECM had a dedicated hardpoing like AMS.

Edited by Hekalite, 18 February 2013 - 02:36 PM.

#15 Red squirrel

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 1,626 posts

Posted 18 February 2013 - 02:41 PM

View PostHekalite, on 18 February 2013 - 02:35 PM, said:

I'd just like to point out that by the day after a major patch every thread is beating a dead horse until the next patch or some comment by one of the devs.

Balancing ECM with weight and crits seems obvious to me. I'd also be happier if ECM had a dedicated hardpoing like AMS.

An electronic warefare hard point would be nice. You could for example limit the usage of certain devices (like ECM) by the amount of slots needed. e.g. make BAP use 1 slot and give most mechs the EW hard point in the cockpit so they cannot use ECM. Then you could additionally introduce a 3 slot EW device. Think of the possibilities - it would be great. :D
The Raven could be the king of the hill with lots of EW hard points.

Also ECM is the single issue without a statement from the devs and without any adjustments.
I think mdules are a very bad way to do this since they are not available to many (new) players.
So you need 15000GXP and 5mil C-Bills then you can target ECM mechs better !? No that is not a serious game mechanic IMHO.

Edited by Red squirrel, 18 February 2013 - 02:43 PM.

#16 Kodiak Jorgensson

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Ironclad
  • The Ironclad
  • 935 posts
  • LocationUnited Kingdom

Posted 18 February 2013 - 02:59 PM

a dedicated hardpoint for ECM would be really nice to see, specialy on the D-DC, i would personaly like to NARC and TAG get there own hardpoints too, and placed on certain chassis to make them more desierable over the others. the Jenner 7K for example. could have 4 energy 1 missle 1 tag hardpoint but thats just my thaughts on it.

again Dedicated ECM hardpoint (Y)

#17 Mechwarrior Buddah

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 13,459 posts
  • LocationUSA

Posted 18 February 2013 - 03:03 PM

well IVE put forth nearly endlessly that the ecm covers two pieces of tech, and breaks the timeline as it is.

Angel ECM (which affects streaks) isnt even available in the timeline for another three YEARS

#18 Stardancer01

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 353 posts
  • LocationIreland

Posted 18 February 2013 - 03:03 PM

I would like to see counter taken away and any ECM friend or foe burning out each other in close proximity for at least a minute. & PPC should burn out ECM for about a minute as well

#19 Mechwarrior Buddah

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 13,459 posts
  • LocationUSA

Posted 18 February 2013 - 03:04 PM

View PostKousagi, on 18 February 2013 - 01:30 PM, said:

*sigh* Oh look, Another ECM thread... Lets see how many times the same thing is repeated. The horse, its dead. Let it Rest in peace...

yes. Its not like this is a beta and we should continue developing this game. Just keep it as it is amirite?
just shut the hell up about changes and... what? Launch as is? Brilliant plan

Edited by Mechwarrior Buddah, 18 February 2013 - 03:07 PM.

#20 Solis Obscuri

Don't Care How I Want It Now!

• The DeathRain
  • The DeathRain
  • 4,751 posts
  • LocationPomme de Terre

Posted 18 February 2013 - 03:24 PM

View PostRed squirrel, on 18 February 2013 - 01:24 PM, said:

C3 target sharing
When are we getting C3 computers, anyway? They're in the timeline, but I've yet to see anything on them in a devblog or the command chair.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users