The Best Of Trebuchet Builds

157 replies to this topic

#41 Voridan Atreides

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,149 posts
  • Google+: Link
  • LocationSittin on Turn 3 at Elkhart watchin the Corvettes roar by....I wish. (Stockholm, WI, USA)

Posted 27 February 2013 - 07:40 AM

View PostWanderfalke NK, on 27 February 2013 - 07:03 AM, said:

Buy yourself a heavy and have fun with it.

Your basing my fun on different classes of mechs? How do you know I dont have fun in my Trebuchet? I have more fun in it than my Cataphract! I'm going over 90KPH, jumping around you, and throwing bunches of LRMs, PPCs, and SRMs in your face! How is that not fun??????

Why did they implemented the Treb? So you can build another slow brawler MED like most of the Hunchys?

Some Trebuchet builds go over 100 KPH and are STILL effective. You call that slow? Also Trebuchets are not brawler mechs. They are skirmish and support mechs.

Theres no real advantage to take a medium, instead of lets say a heavy, that can run 20 kph faster, for example 75 med vs 55 heavy (and even that is pretty slow for most heavys). Because 20 kph faster doesnt make you a lot harder to hit realy!!!

I would agree with you on this party here. There is a point to a medium if it is way faster. I don't see the point in a Medium build if it is as fast or just a little bit faster then a Heavy. However 20 KPH is WAY faster and it does make you way harder to hit. I'm usually the last guy to go in my team if we are losing because I am so hard to hit when piloting my Trebuchet. I can't say the same about my Atlas or Cataphract (which I both love a lot).

Edited by Voridan Atreides, 27 February 2013 - 07:42 AM.

#42 That Dawg

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 1,876 posts

Posted 27 February 2013 - 07:41 AM

After much reading, debate, got the 7M.
Stock form really isn't that bad.
made some minor changes for now getting used to it.
LRM15art, SRM6art, 3ML, got rid of the tag for weight savings, bumped the armor up as far it would go, still comes in at 49.6 with ample ammo.
I've said it before, but at this point, this mech seems like a keeper. Effective niche support medium not afraid of any maps in circulation. Unlike the DDC setup for arms length brawling-excellent money maker, game changer...but crap, Alpine means an embarrassing last man standing death more often than not.

#43 Wanderfalke NK

• PipPipPip
  • 57 posts

Posted 27 February 2013 - 07:41 AM

@Voridan Atreides

First:
I posted my comment to the TE and the guys who Think that they can play the treb just fine running anything under 260 Engine trading in speed and agility for firepower.
I, infact, run 2 trebs, all with at least 97kph without Tweak!
So my comment wasnt adressed to you since you run you treb the way it was designed for.

IF you would have read my post, instead of just letting your eyes fly over it, you wouldnt have posted THIS yet, dont you think?

Next time, read the whole ******** post!
Thank you and have fun with your Treb, because I'm having fun with mine, too ;)

Edited by Wanderfalke NK, 27 February 2013 - 07:43 AM.

#44 Voridan Atreides

• 2,149 posts
  • Google+: Link
  • LocationSittin on Turn 3 at Elkhart watchin the Corvettes roar by....I wish. (Stockholm, WI, USA)

Posted 27 February 2013 - 07:44 AM

View PostWanderfalke NK, on 27 February 2013 - 07:41 AM, said:

@Voridan Atreides

First:
I posted my comment to the TE and the guys who Think that they can play the treb just fine running anything under 260 Engine trading in speed and agility for firepower.
I, infact, run 2 trebs, all with at least 97kph without Tweak!
So my comment wasnt adressed to you since you run you treb the way it was designed for.

IF you would have read my post, instead of just letting your eyes fly over it, you wouldnt have posted THIS yet, dont you think?

Next time, read the whole ******** post!
Thank you and have fun with your Treb, because I'm having fun with mine, too ;)

Okay I see what you were saying. Sorry for the misread. I just went all rage when I saw some one saying negative things about the Trebuchet.

Edited by Voridan Atreides, 27 February 2013 - 07:45 AM.

#45 Wanderfalke NK

• PipPipPip
  • 57 posts

Posted 27 February 2013 - 08:02 AM

Sometimes sarcasm or rethorical questions are harder to read then to hear.
But I dont blame you for this, because thats a general aspect of every communication over the internet.
The chance that someone misenterprets your statements are much higher, if you dont have the ability to look that person in the eyes, while talking.

Btt
In general I dont understand why someone would put "rediciulously" high amounts of firepower in a Medium, in exchange for the biggest, and imo, the only advantages lights and mediums have over heavys and assaults. Speed and agility. (yeah and a smaller silhouette). If you want to put a ac20 and 3 Lasers in a mech you can do so just fine. Like the CTF, then you could boost up firepower furthermore or just build in a bigger engine. "Speed" combined with average firepower BUT with more armor then the Medium.

So to speak:
Firepower > agility = Heavys and above
Agility > firepower = mediums and below

#46 Flapdrol

• The 1 Percent
  • The 1 Percent
  • 1,986 posts

Posted 27 February 2013 - 08:05 AM

View Posttoaster79, on 27 February 2013 - 07:34 AM, said:

Id never take an xl-engine in a cent (because they are excellent zombies with ablative armor), but in trebs I seem to always die due to ct damage since the side-torsos are so tiny, so from my pov an xl in a reb does not really seem a bad Idea.

same here

also, the arms are huge, so they'll probably get shot off first.

besides, you'll want them if you want speed, weapons, armor and jumpjets.

Edited by Flapdrol, 27 February 2013 - 08:06 AM.

#47 Wanderfalke NK

• PipPipPip
  • 57 posts

Posted 27 February 2013 - 08:12 AM

"speed, weapons, armor and jumpjets."
Wich should be the main reason to pick up a light or medium.

Benefits like the ability to spot / scout come with speed ;)

Edited by Wanderfalke NK, 27 February 2013 - 08:13 AM.

#48 Iron Frost

• PipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 87 posts

Posted 27 February 2013 - 10:50 AM

I was starting to get bored with MWO and then the treb came along. That mech gives me the biggest hard-on since the Scat C in MWLL.

A 7m with 1x erPPC, 2x Med Laser, 3x Streak 300xl 4xJJ is an absolute monster of a mech and so much fun to pilot. I've also been testing out a slightly slower build with 1x LRM 10 instead of one of the SRMs which makes it very versatile at all ranges.

<3 my treb - makes me want to play MWO right now.

#49 Iron Frost

• PipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 87 posts

Posted 27 February 2013 - 12:28 PM

View Posttorabayashi, on 24 February 2013 - 07:39 PM, said:

TBT-7K Modernized Upgrade to ES, DHS, XL300, ER PPC, Ultra AC/5, Streak SRM2. Increase armor to 304 with remaining tonnage. Works great as a sniper. Could probably downgrade the engine to an XL255 for additional firepower, but I had the XL300 lying around from my CN9-D so I used that.

I like it, although I really wanted to get 2 SSRM2's on it so modified the build slightly.

http://mwo.smurfy-ne...ccb90d78f0a6678

#50 Neferyta

Rookie

• 3 posts

Posted 24 May 2013 - 06:23 PM

Ok, I noticed that no one has put a AMS on theirs. I do it as I run LRM 15s with 3 tons of ammo so I am constantly zipping from hiding place to hiding place with LRMs (usually from a Cat) chasing me. Should I just drop it and put more armor on it? I do not run XLs as I am always losing a torso slot.

In short: trade AMS for more armor?

Ok, I noticed that no one has put a AMS on theirs. I do it as I run LRM 15s with 3 tons of ammo so I am constantly zipping from hiding place to hiding place with LRMs (usually from a Cat) chasing me. Should I just drop it and put more armor on it? I do not run XLs as I am always losing a torso slot.

In short: trade AMS for more armor?

Sorry cell phone double posted.

#51 Hayashi

Snowflake

• Bridesmaid
  • Bridesmaid
  • 3,395 posts
  • Location輝針城

Posted 24 May 2013 - 11:57 PM

Moved to Medium mech forums.

#52 0ldManJenkins

Rookie

• 1 posts

Posted 04 June 2013 - 06:53 PM

CarrionCrows; thanks great post.

I'm a new player, bought the 5N, for no good reason. Being a noob, I stumbled around fitting it poorly... found this thread.
I started liking it.

Next I bought the 7K, fitted like you suggested, and really started liking it, more than the 5N.

Then to get the elite unlocks, my 3rd Mech was the 5J. Fitted like your best fit ever.
Sweet, my favorite mech.

Eventually, I'll start making my own loadout, but I'm just learning the game, and having a really good loadout, and explanation for how to play it made a huge difference. Thank you sir.

#53 James DeGriz

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 374 posts
  • LocationRainham, Kent UK

Posted 07 June 2013 - 03:23 AM

Wanted to find a mech that was a decent light killer, that wasn't a light. First off I was looking at the Jager A, but figured a heavy light killer was not only a contradiction in terms, but not really fast enough. Plumped instead for a 7M. 2LL, 3SSRM2 BAP and AMS, and an XL275.

It eats Raven 3Ls for breakfast. I love it. It's fast enough where I could probably afford to drop AMS in favour for a bigger engine

Will be looking at a couple of other variants so I can elite them and get the speed tweak, so I'm glad I found this thread :P

*Edit - After a brief fiddle with Smurfy, I found I'd be better off with 3MLs than 2LLs. More damage, less heat, and I can fit in an XL310 (for 100kph without tweak) and a couple of extra heat sinks.

Edited by James DeGriz, 07 June 2013 - 03:57 AM.

#54 Tahribator

• Fire
  • Fire
  • 1,565 posts

Posted 07 June 2013 - 06:15 AM

I love my Trebs and mastered all of them. I've tried countless variations of builds with them, these are the most effective ones I could remember. By far, the most effective ones are the ones with JJ's.

Treb 5J - 5xML, 1xLRM15, XL300, 15DHS, 5JJ (all around long range harasser/short range brawler)
Treb 5J - 2xLL, 3xML, XL300, 16DHS, 5JJ (long range harasser)

Treb 7M - 3ML, 1xASRM6(arm), 1xASRM4, XL325, 13DHS, 5JJ(for hunting bigger mechs)
Treb 7M - 3ML, 3xSSRM2, XL325, 14 DHS , 5JJ (for hunting lights, ineffective against heavies since splash nerf)
Treb 7M - 3ML, 2XSSRM2, 1xASRM6(arm), XL325, 13DHS, 5JJ (all around great light hunter/ jumpjet brawler)

TBT 7K - 2xPPC, 2XSSRM2, XL300, 15(? not sure) DHS (long range fast fire support, close range SSRM defence against lights, PPC neuters ECM for SSRM locks)

TBT 3C - 4xML, 2xSSRM2, XL360, 14DHS, AMS (durable light/med hunter that does 128.4 KPH)

5N is kind of pointless when compared to 5J. 5J has JJ's and more lasers, while 5N trades one more missile slot for JJ's and one energy hardpoint. You're never going to use both missile slots effectively, because 2xLRM15's + ammo forces you to use a very small engine.

Edited by Tahribator, 07 June 2013 - 06:21 AM.

#55 Fishhawk

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Knight Errant
  • Knight Errant
  • 265 posts
  • LocationMiddle TN

Posted 07 June 2013 - 07:13 AM

This thread makes me want to get back to my Trebuchets... I quit them early on. I'm assuming with this latest patch they have a little more survivability?

#56 Tahribator

• Fire
  • Fire
  • 1,565 posts

Posted 07 June 2013 - 07:24 AM

View PostFishhawk, on 07 June 2013 - 07:13 AM, said:

This thread makes me want to get back to my Trebuchets... I quit them early on. I'm assuming with this latest patch they have a little more survivability?

I found that last two patches actually hurt Trebs a little bit(if you're a brawler like me, that is). The worst blow came from SSRM2 splash being removed(and rightfully so). AMS also shoots down more SSRM's since they buffed the damage, making it further useless. It was such a great complement for medium lasers and did good constant damage. The JJ shake is also hurting the air combat a little bit(still managable though).

The good news is, with the tighter SRM spread and HSR for missiles, SRM's are pretty good now. That's why I switched all my SSRM builds to SRM's and I've been doing great again.

You could theoretically slap two LRM15's and do ok with the increased missile damage spamming all day long from far, but I don't see the fun in that.

Edited by Tahribator, 07 June 2013 - 07:25 AM.

#57 Fishhawk

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Knight Errant
  • Knight Errant
  • 265 posts
  • LocationMiddle TN

Posted 07 June 2013 - 07:37 AM

View PostTahribator, on 07 June 2013 - 07:24 AM, said:

I found that last two patches actually hurt Trebs a little bit(if you're a brawler like me, that is). The worst blow came from SSRM2 splash being removed(and rightfully so). AMS also shoots down more SSRM's since they buffed the damage, making it further useless. It was such a great complement for medium lasers and did good constant damage. The JJ shake is also hurting the air combat a little bit(still managable though).

The good news is, with the tighter SRM spread and HSR for missiles, SRM's are pretty good now. That's why I switched all my SSRM builds to SRM's and I've been doing great again.

You could theoretically slap two LRM15's and do ok with the increased missile damage spamming all day long from far, but I don't see the fun in that.

Thanks! Yeah, I already have an LRM boat and I prefer brawler builds over sniper builds. I would probably put some SRM4/6s on it and try that. I think I might get the 3C .. that's the only one I haven't tried.

#58 Tremendous Upside

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 738 posts

Posted 08 June 2013 - 02:30 PM

View PostThatDawg, on 27 February 2013 - 07:41 AM, said:

After much reading, debate, got the 7M.
Stock form really isn't that bad.
made some minor changes for now getting used to it.
LRM15art, SRM6art, 3ML, got rid of the tag for weight savings, bumped the armor up as far it would go, still comes in at 49.6 with ample ammo.
I've said it before, but at this point, this mech seems like a keeper. Effective niche support medium not afraid of any maps in circulation. Unlike the DDC setup for arms length brawling-excellent money maker, game changer...but crap, Alpine means an embarrassing last man standing death more often than not.

Got kinda tired of running my 7M exclusively as a "fast 270m skirmisher" and changed to very close to what you have here. No artemis, but with an LRM15, 3MLs and an SRM6 (XL300, ES, DHS/13, 2 JJ) and the mech is a LOT more fun to play. It's still "fast" - but the LRMs give you something to shoot with at almost any range on any map. Great all-arounder.

#59 MoeX

• PipPip
  • The 1 Percent
  • 29 posts

Posted 08 June 2013 - 04:05 PM

Luv my TBTs as well,preferably the 5j with JJs, XL320 and 5 MPLs or 5 MLs and SRM6, or the 7M with XL320, JJs, 3 MPLs and 3 SSRM2. Great for hunting lights and also be able to deal with heavier Mechs, great mobility.

#60 Muffinator

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Mercenary
  • Mercenary
  • 447 posts

Posted 09 June 2013 - 09:05 PM

View PostCarrioncrows, on 20 February 2013 - 05:01 PM, said:

TBT-7M "Jezebell"

This is a true multi-platform battle mech equipped for all ranges and all roles. It works very well at just about any role. The one down side is the need to use an XL, but the up side to that is the speed it brings to the table and the jump jets to get around or out of danger. Heat is not an issue as you switch weapon ranges to bring your weapons to bear, at close range you can cycle in and out with the ERPPC as your heat dictates.

250 XL Engine
Endo
10 DHS
STD Armor: 304 pnts (Torso's maxed, arms almost maxed)
5 Jumpjets

ERPPC - Left Arm
LRM15 - Right Torso (3 tons of ammo)
x2 Mediums - Right Arm
x2 SSRM2 - Left Arm & Left Torso ( 1 tons of ammo)

The ERPPC allows you to take down ECM's from far away or up close allowing you to use streaks. The LRM15 has 3 tons of ammo meaning it should be launching every chance it gets and the 1 ton of streak ammo is good for 25 shots which is typically more than I ever need as up close and personal fighting is not preferred.

How do you set up your weapon grouping for best effect with this build? EG what mouse buttons do you map. I struggle to use more than 3 groups smoothly most of the time as I have to move my thumb up a little bit to hit mouse 4 (razer mamba mouse)

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users