70 replies to this topic

#21 Koniving

Welcoming Committee

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Guide
  • The Guide
  • 23,384 posts

Posted 09 October 2013 - 03:28 PM

Just give me a BJ-2 and I'll be content. I don't know what they'll do with a hero BJ but if they do an actual hero BJ... gimme 8 ballistic hardpoints and 2 missile with a 300 engine limit.

Misery has a backstory. There's a lore-specific mech -- just a modified stalker with no loadout specifics or name but piloted by an actual hero -- described as being covered in scars and damage that are beyond repair. Its most noteworthy mention is in the Battle of Misery. Someone in this thread someone brought the story to me. As well as a good one for a villain Jenner. On the 3rd or so page.

#22 Felio

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Philanthropist
  • Philanthropist
  • 1,721 posts

Posted 09 October 2013 - 04:05 PM

View PostBuckminster, on 08 October 2013 - 07:46 PM, said:

Yen Lo Wang I'll reiterate what has been said - maybe not the most consistently effective mech, but tons of fun.

View PostDyDrimer, on 05 October 2013 - 08:44 AM, said:

Wang!!! Stats off the board with it, my money maker, and i like saying "I just hit you with my wang..."

The wang jokes alone make the YLW worth it.

This mech is how I got into the 1,000 damage club. Only in one game, of course, and I had stripped an Atlas of all of its weapons and had him all to myself... but still.

The glory of the wang is that it can mount an AC/20 while also being fast enough to sneak attack or hit-and-run. I also carry an ER Large Laser so that I don't have to get close when I really shouldn't.

View Postjuxstapo, on 05 October 2013 - 07:34 AM, said:

The Death's Knell:
It's probably subjective, but at one time it felt as if the Commandos cornered sharper than the Jenners; combined with the lower arm actuators, and TDK felt like a ninja.

I feel like it corners sharper, too, and the fully articulated arms are more important than a person might think. It lets you take medium lasers (rather than pulse, which I normally try very hard to fit in a light) and hold them on your target while you run by better than you can in a Jenner.

It's definitely not for the inexperienced light pilot, though. One solid, direct hit, and you're done.

#23 Duncan Longwood

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Hammer
  • The Hammer
  • 253 posts

Posted 09 October 2013 - 04:15 PM

I have been running my Goldenboy streaktaro recently to make the cbills for phoenix mech upgrades. This is my main earner at the moment. I run adv sensor, adv seismic, and adv target decay as it's modules. Last night, with premium-time, I made 280k on a match that my team LOST. Between the tag, BAP, and sensor range module, I make a ton of space-bucks off of spotting and tag assists.

I used to make the cbills with the Wang, Misery, Firebrand, or Dragonslayer because I could regularly pull down 300k for a win before the cbill nerf with any of those mechs. While I don't see 300k for a single win anymore, my average earnings have gone up in the post-nerf economy by using the Goldenboy. If I do well I can see 280k cbills, win or lose. No other mech in my stable is paying out as well at the moment. I have considered picking up a second one for a farming rotation.

Don't get me wrong, the hero mechs I listed still get driven and enjoyed. I am still just as effective/competitive/contributing as before in those mechs... it just doesn't pay as well when I pilot them now. I miss the dakka-dakka-dakka of my other heroes, but I can content myself by lobbing an endless stream of missles at spider and jenner pilots.

Summation: If you want cbills, get a Goldenboy and load it with tag and BAP; if you want something that is just for fun, get a hero with dakka; if it's just because you like the looks, get whatever makes you happy (even if that means the Pretty Baby).

#24 Liquid Leopard

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 657 posts
  • LocationChesapeake, VA

Posted 10 October 2013 - 12:40 PM

View Postjuxstapo, on 09 October 2013 - 03:24 PM, said:

:D
heh, the very first technical readout. (3025). Each entry had a "Notable Mech's and Mechwarriors" section. It's in there.
So is the Pretty Baby and The Death's Knell.

I knew about the Pretty Baby, Death's Knell, and Ronda Snord's mech from sarna.net. For some reason, the Boar's Head isn't there, but I finally found it mentioned here:
http://users.stargat...5/bm-atlas.html

When I did a search for "Kintaro, Golden Boy" I found articles about a manga character, and not anything to do with Mechwarrior. Other than that, I saw a couple of forum threads with people guessing that it might be the mech of some character they liked from lore.

This is the best explanation I can find for the Firebrand:

View PostStrum Wealh, on 19 September 2013 - 12:33 PM, said:

The Firebrand is supposed to represent the personal BattleMech of Donald "Devil Don" Vincent, and is mentioned in Technical Readout: 3025 and Technical Readout: 3039.

Donald Vincent (TRO 3025, pg. 88; TRO 3039, pg. 148) - Formerly of the Crimson Ace Dragoons; "A former mercenary, 'Devil Don' is a freelance MechWarrior who often flirts with banditry"; known for being moody, brash and temperamental ("He is most famous for walking his 'Mech through the palace of a former employer after a wage dispute.") and hyper-pragmatic ("I was contracted to defend the factory," he said. "With the factory burning, what point was there in getting in a fight?")

However, his personal JagerMech was not named, nor was its loadout described, in those documents; attributing the name and that hardpoint layout (which is also based on the standard variant of a separate-but-related BattleMech, the Rifleman, in addition to mirroring the loadout of the JagerMech III) to that particular 'Mech were an exercise in creative license on PGI's part.

Then, he's got this information:

View PostStrum Wealh, on 20 September 2013 - 03:47 AM, said:

To the best of my knowledge:
  • Yen-Lo-Wang (Justin Allard) - MIIO (FedSuns intelligence agency operative)
  • Ilya Muromets (Grigori Kovalenko) - CapCon (independent merc)
  • Fang & Flame (Donald & Martin Takeda) - DCMS (Sun Zhang MechWarrior Academy instructors)
  • Death's Knell (Bono Duganmare) - LCAF (22nd Skye Rangers)
  • Pretty Baby (Danielle Peterson) - AFFS (Chisholm's Raiders)
  • The X-5 (Leopold Crawford) - FWLM (Gibson Federated BattleMechs test pilot)
  • Heavy Metal (Rhonda Snord) - Merc (Snord's Irregulars)
  • Misery (J. Elliot Jamison) - Merc (Wolf's Dragoons)
  • Firebrand (Donald Vincent) - Merc (independent)
  • Dragon Slayer (Ardan Sortek) - AFFS (Prince's Champion)
  • Golden Boy (unknown pilot) - (unknown affiliation, presumed to be DCMS?)
  • Protector (Aleksandr Kerensky) - original Star League Defense Force (from one of Kerensky's formal titles: "Protector of the Star League")
Each of Yen-Lo-Wang [the Warrior trilogy], Death's Knell (TRO 3050 Upgrade, pg. 12), Pretty Baby (TRO 3039, pg. 154), Heavy Metal (BattleTech Collectable Card Game), Misery (TRO 3039, pg. 162), Firebrand (TRO 3039, pg. 148), Dragon Slayer (TRO 3039, pg. 158), and Protector (Heir to the Dragon, Star League sourcebooks) have varying degrees of basis in BT canon - from full loadout specifications and/or being named in canonical documentation, to merely having the chassis associated with a known canonical character.

By contrast, each of Ilya Muromets, Fang & Flame, The X-5, and (possibly?) Golden Boy, and their respective pilots seem to be original creations by PGI.

This might be the best info I'm going to get, short of buying the old TROs.
PGI could do a better job of telling us if a mech is supposed to represent someone from lore, rather than letting us fill in the blanks.

...And I want a Butterbee!

#25 juxstapo

• FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 1,683 posts
  • Locationmy Tier is bigger than yours.

Posted 10 October 2013 - 04:30 PM

it's in there (The Boar's Head)

:lol:
<--- still has his (very tattered) first edition TROs, with an officer's.. uh Marauder on the front cover and everything. Old compendium, merc's handbook, etc. etc.

Now as a supposed "adult" male with a career (ish) and a couple'a marriages under my belt and a houseful of kids, I'm not sure if that speaks well or poorly of me. ;)

Edited by juxstapo, 10 October 2013 - 04:32 PM.

#26 Ghastous

• PipPip
  • 45 posts

Posted 19 January 2014 - 11:27 AM

im new to the game but im looking to accually buy a hero mech to get started and help the devs ofc but tbh i aint a clue on which 1 would be good lol

#27 TercieI

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Littlest Helper
  • Littlest Helper
  • 8,148 posts
  • LocationThe Far Country

Posted 19 January 2014 - 11:43 AM

View PostGhastous, on 19 January 2014 - 11:27 AM, said:

im new to the game but im looking to accually buy a hero mech to get started and help the devs ofc but tbh i aint a clue on which 1 would be good lol

Tops: Ilya Muromets, Dragon Slayer, Misery, Heavy Metal, Misery

To start? Ilya. Ilya. Ilya. Because CTF is the best chassis to start with. Get an Ilya, a 3D and either a 1X or 4X... Great mechs.

#28 The Unknown Pilot

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 140 posts
  • Twitch: Link
  • LocationBehind you

Posted 19 January 2014 - 11:50 AM

OP, now play a Grid Iron completely stock and try not to cut your wrists afterwords. ;)

#29 Ghastous

• PipPip
  • 45 posts

Posted 19 January 2014 - 12:57 PM

View PostTerciel1976, on 19 January 2014 - 11:43 AM, said:

Tops: Ilya Muromets, Dragon Slayer, Misery, Heavy Metal, Misery

To start? Ilya. Ilya. Ilya. Because CTF is the best chassis to start with. Get an Ilya, a 3D and either a 1X or 4X... Great mechs.

thx for the info ill look into it ;)

#30 Remarius

Banned - Cheating

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 820 posts
  • LocationBrighton, England

Posted 20 January 2014 - 03:38 PM

View PostThe Unknown Pilot, on 19 January 2014 - 11:50 AM, said:

OP, now play a Grid Iron completely stock and try not to cut your wrists afterwords. :rolleyes:

Interesting you say that because my Grid Iron is one of my most effective hero mechs:
GRID IRON 45 23 22 1.05 94 29 3.24 20,517 68,711 04:30:10

2.09 kills per match and 456 pts average damage - very fast and agile.

Other than that I'll just echo the general comments about the Misery, Yen-lo-Wang and llya. But the Fang is my single highest kill/match mech and the Boar is the only mech I've had three eight kill matches in so I can't pretend I don't have strange vices.....

... I loathe the Pretty Baby though. :(

Edited by Remarius, 20 January 2014 - 03:40 PM.

#31 The Unknown Pilot

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 140 posts
  • Twitch: Link
  • LocationBehind you

Posted 20 January 2014 - 03:41 PM

View PostRemarius, on 20 January 2014 - 03:38 PM, said:

Interesting you say that because my Grid Iron is one of my most effective hero mechs:
GRID IRON 45 23 22 1.05 94 29 3.24 20,517 68,711 04:30:10

2.09 kills per match and 456 pts average damage - very fast and agile.

Other than that I'll just echo the general comments about the Misery, Yen-lo-Wang and llya. But the Fang is my single highest kill/match mech and the Boar is the only mech I've had three eight kill matches in so I can't pretend I don't have strange vices.....

... I loathe the Pretty Baby though. :rolleyes:

You did read the part where I said "stock loadout?"

#32 Ghastous

• PipPip
  • 45 posts

Posted 20 January 2014 - 05:15 PM

well i looked at some of the hero mech today and i dunno i think the prices are a bit steep tbh and i know ya cant get everything for free as the devs do need to make cash but still im enjoying the game but its the 5.5k MCs that are stopping me getting that mech. Was thinking about the misery but then knowing my luck id be dreadful in it hahah.

#33 TercieI

• Littlest Helper
  • Littlest Helper
  • 8,148 posts
  • LocationThe Far Country

Posted 20 January 2014 - 05:25 PM

View PostGhastous, on 20 January 2014 - 05:15 PM, said:

well i looked at some of the hero mech today and i dunno i think the prices are a bit steep tbh and i know ya cant get everything for free as the devs do need to make cash but still im enjoying the game but its the 5.5k MCs that are stopping me getting that mech. Was thinking about the misery but then knowing my luck id be dreadful in it hahah.

Hero mechs ain't cheap. I only buy the heavier ones on sale. It's not where I'd recommend starting out, really, and there's no need. It's not P2W. They're not better, just different. Chassis you should check out (all available for c-bills) if you're a new player: Jenner, Shadow Hawk, Cataphract. All have 3+ solid c-bill variants and include some of the best variants in the game (JR7-D/F, SHD-All and CTF-3D are all absolutely top tier).

Personally, I love hero mechs. I own, well, a lot. :rolleyes: But I play a lot and can justify the $.

Edited by Terciel1976, 20 January 2014 - 05:26 PM.

#34 Ghastous

• PipPip
  • 45 posts

Posted 20 January 2014 - 05:41 PM

View PostTerciel1976, on 20 January 2014 - 05:25 PM, said:

Hero mechs ain't cheap. I only buy the heavier ones on sale. It's not where I'd recommend starting out, really, and there's no need. It's not P2W. They're not better, just different. Chassis you should check out (all available for c-bills) if you're a new player: Jenner, Shadow Hawk, Cataphract. All have 3+ solid c-bill variants and include some of the best variants in the game (JR7-D/F, SHD-All and CTF-3D are all absolutely top tier).

Personally, I love hero mechs. I own, well, a lot. :lol: But I play a lot and can justify the $.

aye this game certainly aint P2W thats for sure but i mainly wanna hero mech cos least it gets a paint job as i find it quite {Scrap} that they wanna charge MC for you to paint ur mech up instead of using Cbills its like everything in the game apart from the mechs and loadout they want everyone to pay real money for customization options. At least give some paint options to the players that cant always put money into the game

#35 Buckminster

• Elite Founder
  • 1,577 posts
  • LocationBaltimore, MD

Posted 20 January 2014 - 06:02 PM

As with everything MC, wait for sales. Camo patterns and colors eventually go on sale, and it's the best time to pick them up.

And if I recall correctly, some colors are available for C-bills, but they tend to be the duller, less vibrant colors.

#36 Katus

• PipPipPip
  • 82 posts
  • LocationTucson AZ

Posted 20 January 2014 - 06:41 PM

View PostLiquid Leopard, on 10 October 2013 - 12:40 PM, said:

I knew about the Pretty Baby, Death's Knell, and Ronda Snord's mech from sarna.net. For some reason, the Boar's Head isn't there, but I finally found it mentioned here:
http://users.stargat...5/bm-atlas.html

When I did a search for "Kintaro, Golden Boy" I found articles about a manga character, and not anything to do with Mechwarrior. Other than that, I saw a couple of forum threads with people guessing that it might be the mech of some character they liked from lore.

This is the best explanation I can find for the Firebrand:

Then, he's got this information:

This might be the best info I'm going to get, short of buying the old TROs.
PGI could do a better job of telling us if a mech is supposed to represent someone from lore, rather than letting us fill in the blanks.

...And I want a Butterbee!
The closest in the lore that I could find is from the novel "Ghost of Winter" by Stephen Kenson. The main character Sturm Kintaro is a resident of the Periphery world Kore along with his dad who is a Drac expat and his mother was a merc commander who died when the Steel Vipers take the planet early in their part of the invasion. Later in the book he comes across a Steel Viper Goshawk he names "Golden Boy".

I run a 5 SSRM Golden Boy for CBill generation. It is one of the best Mechs for girding cash if you pack on your BAP and TAG. My GB is fast (90.7 with speed tweak) fully armored and carries 8 tons of ammo so I can stay in the battle as long as my armor holds up. Then to round it out I carry an ER LG Laser for use while I am closing on a target or running away for dear life.

#37 Victor Morson

• Elite Founder
  • 6,370 posts
  • LocationAnder's Moon

Posted 24 January 2014 - 12:03 AM

Golden Boy is the very worst hero, because it is an absolutely terrible KTO-18 and nothing, and I mean nothing, more.

#38 Galen Crayn

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Giant Helper
  • 443 posts
  • LocationKonstanz - Germany

Posted 24 January 2014 - 12:09 AM

For me Ilya Muromets is still the best of the Heroes - if not the best mech of all. I make 3-5 Kills EVERY match and 600-800 damage. This Mech is awesome!!!!

#39 MungFuSensei

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bridesmaid
  • Bridesmaid
  • 254 posts

Posted 24 January 2014 - 12:11 AM

View PostVictor Morson, on 24 January 2014 - 12:03 AM, said:

Golden Boy is the very worst hero, because it is an absolutely terrible KTO-18 and nothing, and I mean nothing, more.

How quickly everyone forgets about the c-bill boost, as if it's totally insignificant.

#40 juxstapo

• FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 1,683 posts
  • Locationmy Tier is bigger than yours.

Posted 25 January 2014 - 06:57 AM

View PostThe Unknown Pilot, on 19 January 2014 - 11:50 AM, said:

OP, now play a Grid Iron completely stock and try not to cut your wrists afterwords. :P

Terciel bought one and I tried not to cut my wrists afterward. :(

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users