ForumWarrior

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Hammer
  • The Hammer
  • 47,187 posts
  • Locationclimbing Mt Tryhard, one smoldering Meta-Mech corpse at a time

Posted 22 April 2014 - 11:10 PM

View PostEglar, on 22 April 2014 - 10:53 PM, said:

That's actually what makes the difference. Even when facing 1vs6 I wouldn't go into the fight thinking that I already lost. I commit to the fight, because there is no other option left. The risks are really high and I usually die 99 out of 100 times (and yes I've won 1vs6s or even 1vs8s) If you can go in with a mindset focused on winning by getting Kills while not getting killed, you're on the best way of becoming a superb player.

Regardless of your role, your mech, your current situation not being killed should always be applied in my opinion.

He laughed, said that you two go way back and than disconnected.

you would have appreciated my match last night then. Running in my very non-comp approved ON1-VA (340xl, 4x aSRM4, 1 AC10) My team does OK at first but in short order it's me and our BoarsHead, vs 6 opfor. My CT was cored out real early in the match, and I had been running from crystal pile to crystal pile to stay alive on Tourmaline. Somehow, without even really planning, just going on pure gut instinct, twisting and shooting at anything in front of me, I put a bunch of crystal between me and the bulk of the unit, take out an Atlas, Highlander and VTR, and tbj don't even know what the other two were, and coring their last mech a shadowhawk, before finally getting nailed by the SSRMs in my cored CT. No help form the other guy on our team at all. (turns out he was pretty new and didn't even know he could turn the armlock off of his BoarsHead. So that unfortunately, didn't go well, lol).

Down to essentially 6 to 1 odds, and lay out 777 damage and 5 kills. I didn't think I was gonna win, lose, live or die. I just thought about destroying whatever was in front of me.

View Postlockwoodx, on 22 April 2014 - 11:04 PM, said:

Forgive me those holes were meant so people would think and come up with conclusions that would challenge me, not make my eyeballs roll around.

so your head is so empty it rattles? That explains much! :P

#422 WarZ

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 538 posts

Posted 22 April 2014 - 11:19 PM

I do have to say I'm confused though. I was under the impression that as long as you load into a game you are going to get a death credit if you are destroyed, whether you are still connected or not. Is that not true ?

If you disconnect at the beginning of the game and they kill your mech later in the game, you do not get a "death" towards your stats ? It would make sense that there are dc's if thats the case, but I didnt think it was.

#423 FatYak

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 585 posts

Posted 22 April 2014 - 11:25 PM

View PostEglar, on 22 April 2014 - 07:19 AM, said:

Part of any Online Multiplayer game, can't see what's wrong with that.

So your cool with putting people down based on your air of superiority then? Nice way to kill of a community.

#424 A banana in the tailpipe

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The 1 Percent
  • 2,696 posts
  • Locationbehind your mech

Posted 22 April 2014 - 11:29 PM

View PostBishop Steiner, on 22 April 2014 - 11:10 PM, said:

so your head is so empty it rattles? That explains much! :P

It rattles like jingling car keys that keep players like you so interested in this game. That explains why you keep replying. (and posting) ;)

#425 Eglar

Banned - Cheating

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 921 posts
  • LocationGermany

Posted 23 April 2014 - 01:06 AM

View PostFatYak, on 22 April 2014 - 11:25 PM, said:

So your cool with putting people down based on your air of superiority then? Nice way to kill of a community.

View PostFatYak, on 22 April 2014 - 05:41 AM, said:

That's kinda the problem.. the "your a crap pilot" argument over a low KDR is about stroking hot shots own egos while using it as a put down against others.

I'll start with that. Weather people are pro- or against KDR
Spoiler

everyone does it.

View PostFatYak, on 22 April 2014 - 05:41 AM, said:

while using it as a put down against others.

Happens at the end of each MWO match
Posted Image
and happens in any Onlne Multiplayer Game, be it in form of some uberleetsuperunique gear you wear while walking around a non-pvp zone or a overall leaderboard of all ranked players. If fact MWO has alot less of competetive things than many other MMO games, facebook farmville excluded.
The goal of competition is to be above others and therefore by putting them down.

It's funny that my Guildwars 2/Tera (which I don't play anymore) Guild is called Epeen guess I am not enough of a Hypocrite to deny it.

Nice way to kill of a community.

?

Edited by Eglar, 23 April 2014 - 01:19 AM.

#426 FatYak

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 585 posts

Posted 23 April 2014 - 01:10 AM

View PostEglar, on 23 April 2014 - 01:06 AM, said:

The goal of competition is to be above others and therefore by putting them down.

Verbal put downs is how you define competition?

nuff said....

#427 Wolfways

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Mercenary
  • 6,499 posts
  • LocationIn a shutdown overheated mech near you.

Posted 23 April 2014 - 03:07 AM

View PostAdiuvo, on 22 April 2014 - 12:54 PM, said:

You don't necessarily have to use a AC5/PPC mech to be considered as 'trying to win,' but if you're using some TT mech with single heatsinks? Yeah, there's a line crossed there.

Does anyone use SHS except full MG lights? :P

#428 Joseph Mallan

ForumWarrior

• FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 35,216 posts
  • Google+: Link
  • Facebook: Link
  • LocationMallanhold, Furillo

Posted 23 April 2014 - 03:11 AM

View PostWolfways, on 23 April 2014 - 03:07 AM, said:

Does anyone use SHS except full MG lights? :P

GaussPult??

#429 Joseph Mallan

ForumWarrior

• FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 35,216 posts

Posted 23 April 2014 - 03:18 AM

He laughed, said that you two go way back and than disconnected.
Yes we do. Back in a Match in Closed Beta, We turned a corner and we were face to face, I Alpha Struck, his head exploded. Only time I killed him... But what a dramatic way to meet for the first time! :P

Edited by Joseph Mallan, 23 April 2014 - 03:37 AM.

#430 Wolfways

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Mercenary
  • 6,499 posts
  • LocationIn a shutdown overheated mech near you.

Posted 23 April 2014 - 03:20 AM

View PostJoseph Mallan, on 23 April 2014 - 03:11 AM, said:

GaussPult??

Didn't know they still existed. Haven't seen one in a long time.

#431 Joseph Mallan

ForumWarrior

• FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 35,216 posts

Posted 23 April 2014 - 03:21 AM

View PostFatYak, on 23 April 2014 - 01:10 AM, said:

Verbal put downs is how you define competition?

nuff said....

LOL... Put down... as in kill you, not put down as in, "Yo ugly and yo momma dresses you funny."

View PostWolfways, on 23 April 2014 - 03:20 AM, said:

Only needs single sinks either way ^_^ :P ;)

#432 Joseph Mallan

ForumWarrior

• FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 35,216 posts

Posted 23 April 2014 - 03:24 AM

Funny Yak... Someone putting me down either causes me to chuckle(dude...its a game, prioritize!) or fires up my competitive side(I'll get you, and your lil dog too!). Smack talk is a psychological weapon... how good a weapon depends on the skill it is wielded with. :P ;)

Edited by Joseph Mallan, 23 April 2014 - 03:25 AM.

#433 Joseph Mallan

ForumWarrior

• FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 35,216 posts

Posted 23 April 2014 - 03:36 AM

That's actually what makes the difference. Even when facing 1vs6 I wouldn't go into the fight thinking that I already lost. I commit to the fight, because there is no other option left. The risks are really high and I usually die 99 out of 100 times (and yes I've won 1vs6s or even 1vs8s) If you can go in with a mindset focused on winning by getting Kills while not getting killed, you're on the best way of becoming a superb player.

Regardless of your role, your mech, your current situation not being killed should always be applied in my opinion.

You are not a soldier then. Nor are you likely as seasoned a gamer as I am. I have been gaming since the 70s video gaming since the 80s... Dying is always an option. When I am playing games like SWTOR or other games with Pets, I will be fine sacrificing my "pet" to win a battle, and in games like this where I am part of a team, I will do my job, hurt the enemy as best I can and will die if it comes to that, cause Its a toon.

If you don't play to this standard:
...To the last, I grapple with thee; from hell's heart, I stab at thee; for hate's sake, I spit my last breath at thee."
You ain't competitive! :P

Edited by Joseph Mallan, 23 April 2014 - 03:38 AM.

#434 Magna Canus

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Liquid Metal
  • Liquid Metal
  • 715 posts
  • LocationGermany

Posted 23 April 2014 - 04:03 AM

View PostWarZ, on 17 April 2014 - 06:16 PM, said:

I see you say absolutely nothing about the a** hat team mates who died at some point in the match, and because they arent interested in waiting the extra few minutes for the last couple living teammates to finish playing, they call out the grid coordinates of living players so the enemy can zero in on their positon in force and gank them. Grid coordinate call outs happen almost 1 out of 2 matches (for one team or the other). It doesnt happen every match cause a lot of players have no trouble running in for a suicide when all is lost. However heaven forbid you make someone on your team who is dead wait a little, while you try and make "something" out of a steam roll. But the few of us who try to out maneuver the remaining enemies for a better fight (NOT engaging the entire remaining enemy at once, for example) and maybe just possibly the win (that the dead players dont think is possible) get shafted because of a** hats who call out grid coordinates, BECAUSE THEY DONT WANT TO WAIT FOR THEIR MECHS. Hell, if someone is the last remaining player and wants to go off and shutdown somewhere, thats valid too. Cause you know what, I've gotten HUNDREDS of kills because I shutdown, let the enemy spread out to hunt me down, then one or two go walking by my shutdown position or area, I power up, and come out swinging (often with a free shot at their back armor), and take down the hunters. Some punk a** hat should not have the right to take that option away from me because they are butt hurt about their failure. Maybe you could talk about that as well eh ? I hear devs have commented that players shouldnt do that and it can be reported. I HAVE NEVER SEEN OR HEARD OF ANYONE GETTING A TEMPORARY BAN BECAUSE OF IT. *** To Fix: Dead players should not be allowed to broadcast in "all" chat UNTIL the match is over. PERIOD. This is a fairly simple fix that is definately needed. Added thought: If you are in the camp that think that last player on your team who is dodging the enemy is somehow taking away your time (for one you SHOULD NOT be playing a multiplayer game in that case), why dont you give some thought to the enemy team that has the option to cap your base in assault, CHOOSES not too. They are just as guilty of extending the game as is the last guy on your team running for this life and or hiding. In conquest, its only a minute or two to lose by caps at that point, so you are losing nothing. And again if a strong enemy team is ignoring the remaining caps to hunt a solo player, they are guilty of "wasting" your time as well. So dont act like an arse that its your team mates always wasting your time. The enemy team has a choice as well. They want that last kill player to pad their stats, and are MORE than happy to make YOU sit there and wait while they ignore cap conditions and spend 8 minutes hunting for ONE lone mech. So maybe that last player could be thought to be protecting a KDR, but what about the enemy team that is trying to PAD their KDR. Same problem. But those guilty of calling out grid coordinates "GRIEF" their teammates. And that should never be done.

This morning I had a nice reaction to the shut down tactic on Terra Therma, assault. We got 5 kills and I was the last guy left in a Raven 3L. I tried my best to support the team and had around 500 damage and 3 kills by the end of the game. Anyways, when it was down to 3 other guy and me trying to stop a charging DDC I saw the rest of the team coming in. I typed in RTB, but our team got eaten up. Shortly before the last guy dies I decide to take off towards our base. A couple were beat up and I was hoping that the turrets might take them out or leave them weak enough for me to get in a final kill or 2.

Off I go and find a nice place to shut down near the base where I can see the guys walking past towards the base. I shut down and type into the team chat that I am going to try to get a good kill or two. The enemy went walking towards the base, I counted off all the mechs they had alive, powered up, and snuck up behind a stalker. 2 Alphas in the back and he was just about ready to drop. He turns around and starts hunting me so I run around the corner, hide, and shut down again. The stalker walks past me, not 30 meters away and my team is "LOLing" the whole while. When the stalker is past me again I power up and 1 more alpha kills him. Another raven sees me and I take a pot shot, then run again, just to power down around another corner. The raven walk past, even closer than the stalker was and did not notice me. Again the team "LOLs". Unfortunately the rest of the team capped us out, but I got a final kill and entertained the rest of the team doing it.

On KDR; KDR is not the whole story for skill, nor is ELO (e.g. W/L) either. Both are a fair indication of skill and give a nice "rough estimate". The better you do personally, the higher your ELO (barring the 4-man ELO mod) and most often the better your KDR. Sure, people will get in a "lucky shot" now and again and kill something by accident, but that is exceedingly rare compared to actually having the skill to hit the right spot and kill your enemy. I can't count how often I have spectated someone who just could not aim and hitting ANYTHING was a matter of luck. Luck matters more when you are less skilled than when you are more skilled, because you make your own "luck" when skilled.

I doubt that, even were KDR to be removed, those that shut down when cored or whatever, will somehow magically stop when there is no fictitious stat to be protected. Yes, it does provide some form of numerical motivation that is more meaningful to some and less to others, but I doubt that it is the only reason for hiders. Some people hide at the beginning of the match because they "know they are going to loose" as you mentioned. Being a team player in an actual team motivates you to "work harder" and "soldier on", so instead of removing KDR it would be more constructive to improve on team building in this game. You tend to be more loyal to REAL team mates than 11 randoms.

#435 Magna Canus

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Liquid Metal
  • Liquid Metal
  • 715 posts
  • LocationGermany

Posted 23 April 2014 - 07:51 AM

View PostJoseph Mallan, on 21 April 2014 - 03:53 AM, said:

That you get more kills does not make you a better player. I have helped my team win by biting the bullet, wading into the enemy host in my Battlemaster and softening up the brawlers a bit. 4-7 Assists, no kills the team wins. After this weekend my KDR went from 1.3 down to a 0.45 but My win loss is 27/20. So a 57% win rate. Better to die and win than die and lose.

View PostRoland, on 21 April 2014 - 05:17 AM, said:

If you're running a negative K/D then your team is winning despite of you, not because of you.

A negative K/D ratio is always bad. There is no benefit to you dying. Your dying never helps your team.

Having people shoot at you can be helpful.. but that just reinforces how dying is not good... Because once you're dead you're no longer putting fire down range, and you're not longer absorbing hits from the enemy.

Killing enemy mechs is always good. Dying is always bad.

As much as I like Joe and agree with most of his base philosophies (e.g. the better team wins) I have to "generally" agree with Roland. Sorry Joe. :)

Why? In all 3 game modes "kill all enemy mechs" is a victory condition. In Skermish it is the only victory condition. In assault, the turrets make it exceedingly difficult to win via cap, and in Conquest I have seen more victories result by eliminating the enemies ability to cap than not. Dead mechs don't shoot your team, dead mechs can't cap. Sure, you have "vultures" and "hiders" that try to buff their KDR by these tactics, but in the long run the average will still show itself. That is the core concept of skilled players will have a positive KDR theory. All the "but's" and "what if's" won't change that, even if you do prove useful in some other capacity does not mean that you may have been equally if not more useful "playing for the kill".

A pure assist role (like the LRM assist Raven that keeps turning up) is a good choice if you know for a fact that you will have LRM on your team, but a waste of space if you are PUGing and "loose the LRM lottery". While that Raven can still "do other things" the entire concept is still a liability to the team on whole. I save team members bacon with 2ERLL's because I hit the enemy where it hurts, close range, long range, no matter.

A single mech tanking for the win is situational. More often than not they die without the "team" capitalizing on the "sacrifice". Being able to put damage down range consistently is more valuable than the "maybe it will work", rush in and brawl for distraction, tactic. It can work, no doubt, but it is less consistent all the same.

One major misconception we have in MWO right now is that "you + 11 randoms" = team when in actuality all this is is just a group of people (e.g. PUG). A group is not a team. A 4 man or a 12 man is a team. Even if you have VOIP and command buttons, etc. you are still not a team, just a group. I do a lot of things for my team I would not do for PUG's because we are a team, not just a group, so that "survival instinct" / "combat wisdom" / "healthy mistrust" allows me to be more of a consistent asset to my team and my group, because I don't bet on "maybe".

#436 Magna Canus

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Liquid Metal
  • Liquid Metal
  • 715 posts
  • LocationGermany

Posted 23 April 2014 - 07:58 AM

View PostJoseph Mallan, on 21 April 2014 - 05:22 AM, said:

So If I get 7-9 Assists I am not pulling my weight? I know most folks think that a high KDR is important, but it isn't. As to your perspective. If I die and the team wins and I get 3-4 more "Assists" after death... I still helped my team win even after I was no longer drawing fire r putting shots down range. I did my part for King and Country. I like Patton as a commander, making a sacrifice is sometimes necessary to ensure the team win.

Hey Joe,
assists are always pulling your own weight, so is doing damage. Nobody is questioning that. You do have to agree though that when you are out there putting damage down range and getting assists, pure chance alone should be getting you a kill a game or more, especially when you are trying to put that damage in a sensible spot.

A reverse example are those guys farming the 12 assist/0 kill achievement. They run out and try to graze every enemy on the field, getting themselves senselessly killed in the process when they could have done more for their team/group had they played "go for the kill" style (not talking about wait to steal a kill style here).

#437 MeiSooHaityu

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Knight Errant
  • Knight Errant
  • 10,912 posts
  • LocationMI

Posted 23 April 2014 - 08:11 AM

View PostWolfways, on 23 April 2014 - 03:20 AM, said:

I'd run a Gausspault if I didn't have my Ilya. Gausspault isn't that bad. A Jager does it better than both those chassis, but the Ilya and K2 can run them adequatly.

Now a Boom Cat would be pretty rough. I had done it before, but it can barely operate with that loadout. I should run a Boom Cat just because...why not LOL.

#438 Joseph Mallan

ForumWarrior

• FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 35,216 posts

Posted 23 April 2014 - 08:58 AM

View PostMagnakanus, on 23 April 2014 - 07:58 AM, said:

Hey Joe,
assists are always pulling your own weight, so is doing damage. Nobody is questioning that. You do have to agree though that when you are out there putting damage down range and getting assists, pure chance alone should be getting you a kill a game or more, especially when you are trying to put that damage in a sensible spot.

A reverse example are those guys farming the 12 assist/0 kill achievement. They run out and try to graze every enemy on the field, getting themselves senselessly killed in the process when they could have done more for their team/group had they played "go for the kill" style (not talking about wait to steal a kill style here).
I had a game yesterday that I threw 600+ damage with 0 Kills and 7 assists... I didn't think I did that well since my Champ Stalker knock off lost lock a lot! No Kills, Helped the team win. Died prior to end of match. I was surprised and happy. I did my part. More often than not at 600+ damage I have 2 kills at least. However, I kept 4 Mechs focusing on me over the course of 4-5 minutes.

Don't apologize. If you agree with Roland that's cool. I agree with him on lots of things as well. :)

#439 Captain Stiffy

• Liquid Metal
  • Liquid Metal
  • 2,234 posts

Posted 23 April 2014 - 09:17 AM

Believing that removing KDR will fix anything is exactly like believing that something no longer exists because you removed it from the dictionary.

#440 mogs01gt

• Shredder
  • 4,292 posts
  • LocationOhio

Posted 23 April 2014 - 11:39 AM

I've said this a few times but KDA needs implemented. Kill/Death/Assist ratio would be a more accurate way to judge your contribution to games.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users