170 replies to this topic

#21 Quicksilver Aberration

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Nightmare
  • The Nightmare
  • 11,530 posts
  • LocationKansas City, MO

Posted 30 July 2014 - 11:56 PM

I'd much rather see the Vulcan added to the game, give us a jumping 40 tonner that will retain similar speed to the Cicada. Even if it looks ridiculous though hopefully they would design it closer to how the Stag looks.

If only the Pixie was possible to be added without legal issues though :)

Edited by majora incarnate, 30 July 2014 - 11:57 PM.

#22 Sandslice

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 625 posts

Posted 31 July 2014 - 12:07 AM

View PostFupDup, on 30 July 2014 - 11:02 PM, said:

I'd prefer it to look like:

1R: 3-4e, 2m

1AA: 3e, 1-2m, higher engine cap and maybe better agility

1SIC: 3e, 3-4m

1X: 2e, 1-2m, 3-4b

3L is also viable. 4L could be (as a timeline-screw) if we replace the ERML with ML and ignore the stealth armour.

1SIC (or at least its archetype, the St. Ives Blues) is the likely Hero candidate. :)

#23 MeiSooHaityu

• Knight Errant
  • Knight Errant
  • 10,912 posts
  • LocationMI

Posted 31 July 2014 - 02:25 AM

Yea! Yet ANOTHER humonoid, front knee jointed IS mech. Not like I am tired of those.

Bushwacker Plz

#24 Lord Perversor

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Knight Errant
  • Knight Errant
  • 1,815 posts
  • LocationSomewhere in New Aragon

Posted 31 July 2014 - 02:34 AM

VLOG 5 check around 7:30 min mark the mech pictures.

Notice some oddity around Heavy mech pics.....
Draw your own conclussions ( my tin foil neuro helmet works superb)

On a related note the IS already have more meds than any other chassis, also Alex already draw similar sketches from other mechs ( Crab, King crab even the raptor riding Urbie)
Also Alex recognized he had to draw a Mauler concept some time ago.

#25 Alistair Winter

• Storm
  • Storm
  • 10,823 posts
  • LocationBergen, Norway, FRR

Posted 31 July 2014 - 02:43 AM

View PostHans Von Lohman, on 30 July 2014 - 09:29 PM, said:

Posted Image

I don't like this design, actually. A problem with Alex Iglesias' concept sketches is that he tends to draw mechs that look very cool when they stand upright. But soon as they start working on a running animation, you notice that the mech has very wide hips, and the legs look much shorter than you remember from the concept sketch.

I'm afraid the Vindicator will end up looking like Pinocchio, just like the Commando mech, because the wide hips make it very difficult to make a natural looking running animation.

Who cares about the meta if the mech doesn't look cool in game?

Edited by Alistair Winter, 31 July 2014 - 02:44 AM.

#26 Andross Deverow

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 458 posts

Posted 31 July 2014 - 04:08 AM

View PostHans Von Lohman, on 30 July 2014 - 09:29 PM, said:

This isn't for sure, but it was hinted at so heavily in the latest couple of Twitch shows that I've seen that I would put real money that this is the next mech, and probably will be out in August.

From House LIao we have the Vindicator, 45 ton, PPC right arm, medium laser head, LRM-5 left torso, and small laser left arm.

Posted Image

Bleh...... :)
King Crab or I dont want to see it.... I want a decent IS monster.... I know its a pipe dream but.... *sighs*

Regards

#27 mogs01gt

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Shredder
  • 4,292 posts
  • LocationOhio

Posted 31 July 2014 - 04:18 AM

View PostAnjian, on 30 July 2014 - 11:06 PM, said:

Great! Another potentially fast mech with small hit points (based on this artwork). Like we need more like Florida needs Ebola.

technically speaking, in the MW universe, there should be more "smaller" mechs on he battle field.

#28 N a p e s

• The People's Hero
  • The People
  • 1,688 posts
  • LocationQuebec

Posted 31 July 2014 - 04:20 AM

View PostKiiyor, on 30 July 2014 - 10:55 PM, said:

Pfft. You didn't include the rest of that drawing.

In the next panel of concept art, you missed the part where the KING CRAB crushes the puny Vindicator underfoot, Monty Python style, then fires at an opportunistic DireWolf that was closing in on the fresh kill, and snorts contentedly as the DireWolf yelps and scampers away, tail between it's legs. The Crab then makes crab noises of contentment as a bevy of scantily clad Highlanders approaches and begin cleaning it's chitin while it settles down to it's meal, because really, IT'S GOOD TO BE THE KING.

Long live the King!

#29 Vassago Rain

• Bridesmaid
  • Bridesmaid
  • 14,396 posts
  • LocationExodus fleet, HMS Kong Circumflex accent

Posted 31 July 2014 - 04:23 AM

It'll be comparable to a slow laser cent with some jets and less durability.

View PostAnjian, on 30 July 2014 - 11:06 PM, said:

Great! Another potentially fast mech with small hit points (based on this artwork). Like we need more like Florida needs Ebola.

The vindicator is a very slow mech. The default engine is a 180.

#30 Alistair Winter

• Storm
  • Storm
  • 10,823 posts
  • LocationBergen, Norway, FRR

Posted 31 July 2014 - 04:26 AM

Does PGI really care about what default engine the mech has? The engine limits for the Ravens seemed entirely arbitrary. What's to stop them from allowing an XL400 on this mech?

#31 ice trey

• 1,523 posts
  • LocationFukushima, Japan

Posted 31 July 2014 - 04:27 AM

I'd heard rumors it was actually going to be the Mauler.

No gripes from me if it were. My Assaults bracket has been underutilized for a while now, and as for lights, well... my killer ping since moving to Asia means that a rubber-banding Atlas or Dire Wolf popping in front of my path while I'm doing the jukes is no rare occurrence. A Draconis Combine produced Assault Mech would be more than welcome in my eyes, though I hear people just want one so they can AC20-boat them.

The Vindicator is a really fun, really good 'mech to use in Tabletop. The only reason I WOULDN'T use one in MWO is because... well... a Drac Vindicator isn't the most common thing out there. Plus, I'm still antsing to get my hands on the Trebuchet series, which comes after Awesome/Mauler series, which comes once I can afford to buy them with my Kintaro Money.

For those that want to say those are hollow excuses, I've also avoided buying any Jagermechs, Cataphracts, Blackjacks, and anything else that happens to be the current min-max-meta, but isn't fluffed as being available in the Draconis Combine.

Edited by ice trey, 31 July 2014 - 04:28 AM.

#32 Vassago Rain

• Bridesmaid
  • Bridesmaid
  • 14,396 posts
  • LocationExodus fleet, HMS Kong Circumflex accent

Posted 31 July 2014 - 04:28 AM

View PostAlistair Winter, on 31 July 2014 - 04:26 AM, said:

Does PGI really care about what default engine the mech has? The engine limits for the Ravens seemed entirely arbitrary. What's to stop them from allowing an XL400 on this mech?

Yes, the max engine in MWO is derived from the base engine. Some really bad robots like the raven, hunch, and cent got superboosted engine sizes, but despite that, they are still stuck at subpar levels.

#33 ice trey

• 1,523 posts

Posted 31 July 2014 - 04:30 AM

View PostAlistair Winter, on 31 July 2014 - 02:43 AM, said:

Tell that to the players in the AC80 Dire Wolves with the sloppy walk animations.

#34 mike29tw

• Philanthropist
  • Philanthropist
  • 1,053 posts

Posted 31 July 2014 - 04:31 AM

View PostAlistair Winter, on 31 July 2014 - 02:43 AM, said:

I don't like this design, actually. A problem with Alex Iglesias' concept sketches is that he tends to draw mechs that look very cool when they stand upright. But soon as they start working on a running animation, you notice that the mech has very wide hips, and the legs look much shorter than you remember from the concept sketch.

I'm afraid the Vindicator will end up looking like Pinocchio, just like the Commando mech, because the wide hips make it very difficult to make a natural looking running animation.

My thought exactly. The animation in MWO looks awkward mostly because the legs are way too wide. It feels like the mechs should fall to the side the moment it takes one step.

#35 wanderer

• Civil Servant
  • Civil Servant
  • 11,152 posts
  • LocationStomping around in a giant robot, of course.

Posted 31 July 2014 - 04:32 AM

Only an extreme Liao lover would get this. Terrible hardpoints, low engine cap = DOA. Anyone with C-bills is just going to get the Kit Fox anyway.

The BJ-2 is not too far off. What is the Vindicator's purpose? Nothing.

Funny you should mention that. The -1AA has a better engine cap than the Blackjack owing to higher initial engine size. The -1X has better arm movement thanks to having upper arm actuators and a ballistic mount on the LA. The -1R is the only one that ends up falling behind with little to show for it.

The vindicator is a very slow mech. The default engine is a 180.

Just like the Blackjack- except the -1AA's default is a 225 and it also has the JJ's to match if it desires.

Edited by wanderer, 31 July 2014 - 04:38 AM.

#36 ice trey

• 1,523 posts

Posted 31 July 2014 - 04:35 AM

View PostAlistair Winter, on 31 July 2014 - 04:26 AM, said:

I don't know if you were in closed beta or not, but initially, all engine sizes were allowed on all 'mechs.

This wasn't bad for the Assaults. The difference between an Atlas with a 300 and a 400 engine isn't that huge.

But slap that huge engine into a commando, and we get what was called the "Trollmando", which was often able to travel at 200+ KPH. If you'd thought lag-shield was bad back in the day, it was nigh impossible to smack one of those down.

So, that's why. Personally, I think that once you get into the Heavies category, it shouldn't matter what engine you put in there, because the amount of tonnage lost per engine upgrade at that point increases greatly. However, you can milk a whole lot more speed out of the lights if you aren't given any limits.

#37 Trevor Belmont

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 290 posts

Posted 31 July 2014 - 04:35 AM

I'm still waiting patiently for my 90 ton Cyclops :)

#38 ice trey

• 1,523 posts

Posted 31 July 2014 - 04:41 AM

View PostTrevor Belmont, on 31 July 2014 - 04:35 AM, said:

I'm still waiting patiently for my 90 ton Cyclops :)

I'd love a Cyclops. In fact, I'd initially pushed for one in the hopes that PGI would put more emphasis on Role Warfare and finally make the Company Command... err... "B" Button map screen... useful and intuitive. As it stands, all but nobody want to use that feature, as it's clumsy, slow, unclear, and doesn't actually do what we want it to, and there's no real benefit to doing so. It's easier to just write "Enemy in B4" in the chat.

Without that, though, the Cyclops is just a slightly faster, weaker Atlas.

Edited by ice trey, 31 July 2014 - 04:42 AM.

#39 Kitane

• Bridesmaid
  • 1,009 posts
  • LocationPrague, Czech Republic

Posted 31 July 2014 - 04:52 AM

A 45t mech with a speed comparable to Blackjack and without its top mounted hard points.

So like Quickdraw or Trenchbucket, but worse.

*prepares 3 mechbays*

#40 Kiiyor

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Big Daddy
  • Big Daddy
  • 5,564 posts
  • LocationSCIENCE.

Posted 31 July 2014 - 05:21 AM

View PostKitane, on 31 July 2014 - 04:52 AM, said:

A 45t mech with a speed comparable to Blackjack and without its top mounted hard points.

So like Quickdraw or Trenchbucket, but worse.

*prepares 3 mechbays*

I, too... am a hoarder.

*cries*

*bottles the tears, just in case*

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users