Bring Back The Phoenix Pack So Is Purists Don't Have To Buy Clan Packs To Get A King Crab

356 replies to this topic

#141 KamikazeRat

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 711 posts

Posted 16 September 2014 - 05:08 PM

View PostBaron Blitz Fokheimer, on 16 September 2014 - 05:01 PM, said:

They could very easily change some paints and give a 30% c-bill bonus for a set of different four mechs from the starting lineup. Call it the "IS Loyalist Pack" or something.

Or even Anniversary pack,
the 4 with founders geometry(or even new geometry), new paint, toss in a couple shiny doo-dads, and i'd be all over it.

#142 Empyrus

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Veteran Founder
  • Veteran Founder
  • 210 posts

Posted 16 September 2014 - 05:09 PM

For new IS mechs, i'd love to see a "ComStar" pack. Black Knight, Crab, Mercury, something else... IE old Star League mechs.

Edited by Empyrus, 16 September 2014 - 05:10 PM.

#143 1453 R

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bridesmaid
  • Bridesmaid
  • 5,458 posts

Posted 16 September 2014 - 05:11 PM

View PostRuss Bullock, on 16 September 2014 - 03:23 PM, said:

I personally like the idea.

But I think any unleashing of Phoenix packages or founders would need to come from the players. More specifically from the Phoenix and founders themselves saying yes you should do that.

Only way I can see it happening.

As a Phoenix Overlord package owner, I say go right ahead. I got my money's worth out of the deal, and it'd be nice if the Spheroid guys could get their King Crabs without having to sink dollars into a Clan pack they don't want. Have at it. More money for you guys in the end, eh?

As for the Founder thing...I'm not a Founder, though I wish I'd had the money/opportunity to do so when the opportunity was there, but I mostly agree with Bishop and the other Founders. By all means, a New Supporter pack or some such would be an idea, but making Founder's packages available again, well after the game has been founded and the risk of losing your money to no avail...I can see where that'd tweak some folks' buttons. I don't have a Founder's package, I wish I did...and I probably wouldn't buy one if it did somehow become available, because I didn't earn that tag.

Besides, with the Founder situation the way it is now, we all know who the reactionary old farts are. Offer the packages again and you'll muddy up the waters and make it hard to shrug them all off as CB blowhards :P

Edited by 1453 R, 16 September 2014 - 05:13 PM.

#144 SirLankyIII

• PipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 85 posts
  • LocationMelbourne, Australia

Posted 16 September 2014 - 05:15 PM

View PostRuss Bullock, on 16 September 2014 - 03:23 PM, said:

I personally like the idea.

But I think any unleashing of Phoenix packages or founders would need to come from the players. More specifically from the Phoenix and founders themselves saying yes you should do that.

Only way I can see it happening.

I think it's a great idea, maybe bring them back as individual packs and as tiered packs like we have now for the clans (they could even be offered in the store, after it's revamped of course ;) ). You could even do a founder's redux and build it like the new pack system if the original founder's packs didn't fit or seem to be as good value as the newer packs.

#145 Malleus011

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 1,854 posts

Posted 16 September 2014 - 05:37 PM

Yeah, I agree Founders is a special thing and should not be re-opened for sale.

However, does that include keeping the unique geometry and texture exclusive? I like Catapults, and I like the Founder's nose. I also like the beat-up paintwork. Would it be acceptable to Founders to offer the mechs, but without the same colors? Perhaps without the (F) tag?

Just curious.

Edit: What if 'phase II' IS 'mechs had another unique marker? Founders are(F),Phoenix are (P) ...

Edited by Malleus011, 16 September 2014 - 05:45 PM.

#146 Son of the Flood

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Messenger
  • The Messenger
  • 397 posts
  • LocationTier 3 basement - searching for funyuns and mountain dew

Posted 16 September 2014 - 05:43 PM

View Post1453 R, on 16 September 2014 - 05:11 PM, said:

As a Phoenix Overlord package owner, I say go right ahead. I got my money's worth out of the deal, and it'd be nice if the Spheroid guys could get their King Crabs without having to sink dollars into a Clan pack they don't want. Have at it. More money for you guys in the end, eh?

As for the Founder thing...I'm not a Founder, though I wish I'd had the money/opportunity to do so when the opportunity was there, but I mostly agree with Bishop and the other Founders. By all means, a New Supporter pack or some such would be an idea, but making Founder's packages available again, well after the game has been founded and the risk of losing your money to no avail...I can see where that'd tweak some folks' buttons. I don't have a Founder's package, I wish I did...and I probably wouldn't buy one if it did somehow become available, because I didn't earn that tag.

P

This pretty much sums up exactly where I am on the topic. I wish I had the opportunity to get into the game during the founders days, but don't think it would be fair to those who did to open it back up. As far as the Phoenix mechs, I bought those because I felt it was a great deal and I wanted to support the game I hope to play for many more years (as opposed to the exclusivity of the phx mechs). I'm personally ok if this is opened back up, but could see where some phx supporters may be upset.

As some others have said, what I'd rather see is another bundle for inner sphere mechs. The pipe dream would be Phoenix mech 2.0....crusader, Phoenix hawk, warhammer, marauder, etc. but not holding my breath for that one :)

#147 S13gtastic

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • The Roughneck
  • The Roughneck
  • 119 posts
  • LocationBig Sky

Posted 16 September 2014 - 05:48 PM

Be cool to see the Pheonix Mechs still open to buy, I have a hunch we're going to see a Inner Sphere Clan Buster Pack.

#148 1453 R

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bridesmaid
  • Bridesmaid
  • 5,458 posts

Posted 16 September 2014 - 05:48 PM

Pretty sure any new packages are off the table, though the notion of an Anniversary Edition of the Founder's packs has some merit to me. Clearly distinguishable from the original ground-floor Founders, not even called Founders or anything, but an echo of those original packages to commemorate the game's success. Or, well, at least not-failure, though we do seem to be edging closer to success than we used to be!

Besides. While the Founders have their sight-unseen claim to fame and deserve to keep that to and for themselves, it'd be nice if some of the rest of us who've still thrown our weight and our wallets behind MWO got to show off the fact that we've done just that. Proof of Whaledom, I suppose. YES YES I KNOW, Masakari Pack emblem over on my left there. G'head and tell me that you even notice that next to the giant shiny chevron monsters that are Founder's badges :P

#149 EgoSlayer

• Wrath
  • Wrath
  • 1,909 posts
  • Location[REDACTED]

Posted 16 September 2014 - 05:53 PM

I don't think the founders should be re-opened, or Phoenix either necessary. But there isn't *any* IS mech packs available to buy and unlock the Crab. There should be something - either an 'Invasion Response Pack', or X number of hero purchases, something for people who only want to play IS and have missed the past opportunities or have alts where the IS Mech rewards go unused.

An idea - extend the store Mastery Packs out to the other mechs with Hero variants and then have a build your own Invasion response pack sale from these options. Win/Win - easy to implement, generates more sales, and doesn't force people to repurchase versions they may already have in their inventory.

#150 Deathlike

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Littlest Helper
  • Littlest Helper
  • 29,240 posts
  • Location#NOToTaterBalance #BadBalanceOverlordIsBad

Posted 16 September 2014 - 06:11 PM

There's no reason to "reopen" Founders packs. Those have a particular definition, and should stay that way.

For the Phoenix Pack... there are actually 2 things I'd have to say about that...

1) Since PGI has actually yet to define loyalty points, which was part of the package, it is actually the only thing not given to the players. This would be the only legit reason in my mind that you can "extend" such a pack.

2) It is kinda disappointing that there is no IS pack, but there's actually certainly money to be made. I'm still pine for the Storm Pack ($40), despite picking up the "Locust"... the $30 Kitfox is more appealing by comparison. That would probably be the only thing I'd get anyways... (the Shadowhawk Phoenix variant), although repopulating the Shadowhawk variants in the mechbays would be an actual bonus.

In any case, it's not up to me to decide, but current Phoenix Pack owners should be asking "where are my loyalty points?"

Edited by Deathlike, 16 September 2014 - 06:12 PM.

#151 Bishop Steiner

ForumWarrior

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Hammer
  • The Hammer
  • 47,187 posts
  • Locationclimbing Mt Tryhard, one smoldering Meta-Mech corpse at a time

Posted 16 September 2014 - 06:23 PM

View PostMalleus011, on 16 September 2014 - 05:37 PM, said:

Yeah, I agree Founders is a special thing and should not be re-opened for sale.

However, does that include keeping the unique geometry and texture exclusive? I like Catapults, and I like the Founder's nose. I also like the beat-up paintwork. Would it be acceptable to Founders to offer the mechs, but without the same colors? Perhaps without the (F) tag?

Just curious.

Edit: What if 'phase II' IS 'mechs had another unique marker? Founders are(F),Phoenix are (P) ...

(A) for anniversary?

And I'll trade ya my Founders Cat.

#152 Dark DeLaurel

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Devoted
  • The Devoted
  • 579 posts
  • Google+: Link
  • LocationWarShip Sleipnir, Spinward-Coreward Quadrant

Posted 16 September 2014 - 06:24 PM

View Postlockwoodx, on 16 September 2014 - 04:35 AM, said:

Dear PGI, like many of your dedicated followers we've elected to create second accounts for the purpose of the upcoming clan wars. While the announcement of getting a free King Crab mech is very generous of you, unless we bought a top tier of the Founders/Phoenix pack eons ago, the only option IS purists have is to purchase clan mechs in order to get the King Crab onto our IS accounts.

That sucks.

On the other hand, the Phoenix variants of the Phoenix package were pretty spiffy, and I'd be willing to throw down on an Overlord package if it was made available again for the purpose of making sure only IS mechs along with the Crab reside in their proper place. I'd even be willing to forgo the Overlord forum badge and pre-order camo/paint so the early Phoenix adopters still feel like they got something special.

Please consider it,
Thank you

Worst idea ever, you did not get in on the packages back then to show your support why should you be able to buy what those of us bought sight unseen now?

View PostSgtMagor, on 16 September 2014 - 05:52 AM, said:

I hear ya, I missed getting the Founders pack, really wanted those unique geometry variants, besides also getting a Founders tag! oh well, sh** happens, PGI pretty much has kept their word on once a pack is gone, that's it not available no more!, I really wanted that Founders Atlas :)

See now I don't mind this attitude, SgtMagor realizes he missed the opportunity and is alright with the fact.

View PostJoseph Mallan, on 16 September 2014 - 06:06 AM, said:

We may not, but some might. and if there are players who were not members in time, it would be a nice gesture on PGIs part to offer the packages again. It wouldn't cost them anything as far as I can tell.

So you are saying that the packages that were sold before someone even knew what MW:O was should be able to get all the perks of the people that got those packages site unseen? Just because they were not around at that point in time? Kind of reminds me of stores that do not offer rain checks, you miss the item on sale tough luck.

View PostCrohnic, on 16 September 2014 - 07:30 AM, said:

The words exclusive and limited time used here are marketing terms to be taken with a grain of salt. There were thousands of packages sold. Exclusive? That's kind of iffy. There are plenty of other 'Mechs for pilots to run in this game, adding an extra 10 - 15 percent to the total Phoenix population by re-opening sales would have at most, a slightly perceptible impact on the average player experience. This would not be a huge seller due to the availability of C-Bill 'Mechs but I welcome the chance to see more of them on the field. As far as limited time is concerned, they were available for five months. The term is technically correct because the sale time period had a time limit, but limited in this instance sounds like "hurry or you will miss out". Black Friday and Cyber Monday would fit that term. Five months is more middle ground here, not real short, reasonably extended, but not forever.

The Founders 'Mechs are a different story. They are for a specific group during a well defined time period. It does not make sense to allow someone late to the game to sully the special meaning of a Founder's 'Mech.

I don't understand why any package beyond the Founders package should be limited (Gold 'Mechs excepted). Why prevent players from spending their money and enjoying the game?

IMO there are only a few reason as to why not re-introduce the Phoenix package.
  • Legal or monetary agreements still in place with IPG.
  • Software limitations causing PGI not being able to track different package levels for those who wish to upgrade now.
  • Player perception - PGI going back on their word of limited and exclusive.
The first two appear unlikely, the last reason would be contentious for some players, perhaps a select minority, who are looking for one more reason to stir the pot. I like the Clan Buster Pack ideas or let us vote on it. Open it up to the community as a whole or just those who purchased one of the Phoenix packs.

More money in PGI's pockets, more money for development, more satisfied players. Part of PGI's focus will eventually be to create a positive new user experience. Let these new players have a chance to spend their hard earned cash!

Packages are limited because they want people to buy them, if they are not limited due to time there is no incentive to create a mad rush of "Must have shiny!". If you missed out on the original package for whatever reason why should it get re-released now?

View Postlockwoodx, on 16 September 2014 - 08:11 AM, said:

I left my clan unit and haven't played my clan mechs in quite a while because of how OP/Easymode they felt. I needed to go back to my roots, and am enjoying it more not to mention fighting as IS vs clans it is definitely making me a better pilot in the long run.

Actually it is you who needs to deal with it, you wanted to run two accounts that is your own problem. All I am seeing in this thread is a lot of self entitlement "I should get this or that because reasons!"

Those of us that supported the game from the start and bought the packages sight unseen, even through the ups and downs did why didnt you? So now that PGI is turning over a new leaf and trying to gain back the community with rewards, how is it you should get the same perks as those of us who have been supportive?

Show your support by buying MC, Premium time, next Inner Sphere `Mech pack. Just do not ask for the old packages to get re-released because you didnt want to support the company back then, or because you were not aware of the game back then. Those were special editions of things, never to be seen again. They were to make people want them then, because they thought "wow! that is damn shiny!"

If this happened I would stop putting money into this game, and I have dropped a crapton (not as much as the folks who have multiple gold `Mechs but close). I know others who would also, as it would show them going back on their word of limited time only.

#153 Armament

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • The Devoted
  • The Devoted
  • 199 posts
  • LocationPiloting a Dire Wolf.

Posted 16 September 2014 - 06:28 PM

Don't release another founder's pack.. it would make no sense as the new buyers did not found the game. A phoenix pack would be okay though as it wasn't anything special.

#154 CheeseThief

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Liquid Metal
  • Liquid Metal
  • 580 posts
  • LocationBeyond the Black Stump

Posted 16 September 2014 - 06:28 PM

As much as I would love to upgrade my founders pack and score that Founders Hunchy, it should remain closed given the novelty of being the 'founders' pack.

Everything else I really don't care about.

In fact I would personally love the packs to be reoccurring deals that coincide with the special 'historical events'. This week we are reenacting the attack on Hoff, Phoenix packs back on sale for the duration of the event.

#155 Ninja Daddy

• Pip
  • Survivor
  • 17 posts
  • LocationOklahoma

Posted 16 September 2014 - 06:39 PM

I am an IS loyalist. Since I started playing the only packages for sale have been the Clan Packs.

I want the Limited Edition King Crab. I understand I can buy the non-LE King Crabs for CBills but not the Limited Edition one.

Please, create an IS pack that qualifies me for the LE King Crab.

Sell me a handful of existing Mechs with a bundled color and a cockpit item that already exists. Make up an interesting story to go with it. Charge me a reasonable amount of money and give me the LE King Crab.

Seems pretty simple.

[No Founders or Phoenix Pack purchasers were injured in the creation of this post] :)

J--

#156 Nathan Foxbane

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Wolf
  • The Wolf
  • 2,984 posts

Posted 16 September 2014 - 07:13 PM

View PostLily from animove, on 16 September 2014 - 04:44 AM, said:

And where is the logic that clanners get an IS mech?

Well since you asked:

Sarna said:

KGC-000b
The 000b variant is an upgrade of the classic KGC-000 built exclusively for the Star League Defense Force Royal units. Introduced at the same time as the original model its upgrade to double heat sink technology allowed the removal of three heat sinks as well as the addition of an extra ton of ammunition for each autocannon and an Artemis IV FCS for the missile launcher.
KGC-010
This version of the King Crab was created by the Star League to be a command 'Mech and introduced alongside the original 000 model in 2743. Conceived in secret between Cosara and the Terran Hegemony, it was an attempt to produce a deadly command 'Mech by mounting a pair of newly-developed Hellstar Magna PPCs in either side torso. These PPCs were different from other models in that they did not require an outer "barrel" but instead were mounted flush with the torso, each opening surrounded by a specially-designed Holly SRM-6 launcher, while the cooling sleeves extended out the back of the 'Mech. In place of the normal autocannons the 010 model carried LB-10X cannons. The combination of the non-standard housing and odd-colored discharge of the PPCs caused many pilots to believe they were facing a brand-new weapon systems, while the spine-like protrusions of the cooling sleeves produced massive heat-diffusion waves. All told the 010 model was more than capable of taking down an Atlas, but the entire line left with Kerensky during the Exodus and even knowledge of the design's existence became lost during the Succession Wars.

Who did you think the Super Nova and its little brother the Nova decended from.
Posted Image

#157 Tekadept

• Knight Errant
  • 1,290 posts
  • LocationPerth, Australia

Posted 16 September 2014 - 07:49 PM

Nope, you missed the boat for phoenix and founders. Too bad how sad. the idea was supposed to be a "limited opportunity" for the "TRUE fans" whatever the hell that means.

#158 Roadkill

• 3,610 posts

Posted 16 September 2014 - 07:49 PM

View PostBishop Steiner, on 16 September 2014 - 04:14 PM, said:

Have got to word this carefully, so as not to overstep or offend.

Phoenix Pack? Saber Pack? The Clan Packs?

Got them all. Enjoy them, no complaints. But they also really mean nothing to me, other than the stuff I got. If there are people jonesing for a (PHX) SHD-2H, or a (SBR) GRF-1N, and willing to pay for them? More power to them, and I think for a certainty you should offer it. Maybe not with all the bells and whistles of a pre-order, because, well, they aren't having to wait 6 months to receive, lol. But absolutely, not even considering the Mad Dog, KGC, et al, make them available.

But the Founder's Packages?

That is something else entirely. That represents people who sight unseen, shelled out to make MWO a reality. I've never felt it entitles us to tell PGI how to make the game, or that we were owed anything beside what we got. And I still don't. But that badge, that title, FOUNDER? At least to some of us, it means something. And I don't care how good a player someone is, how much they contribute to the game now, how many good ideas they have. They are NOT a Founder.

Make the Mech's available if there are people willing to pay. Make them some nice packages. But do NOT call the Founder's Packs. Call them "Supporters" or "Jehonadabs" or whatever you like. But they are not, and cannot be Founders. Just look at the definition of Founder.

No Founders name, Badges or Paint. IMO; it would be a pretty open insult to those who got the ball rolling and have stuck with it, all this time.

Just my 2ct.

Well this is not going to be popular, but I'll actually take it one step further...

No to all. Especially no to the Founders packs, but I also vote no on the Phoenix and Sabre packs. (Clan packs are still for sale, so are a moot point.)

I'm very sorry that people are now having non-buyer's remorse. But they didn't buy. Those of us who did buy, and in many cases were mocked for buying, are the only ones who deserve this reward. We were the ones who pre-ordered the packs without knowing anything about the Mechs. We are the ones who supported the game while others were campaigning N.O.P.E.

Buying them now is not a sign of loyalty. It's a sign of greed. These are not greed rewards, they are loyalty rewards.

Feel free to buy them later, once they're available for MC and/or c-bills. And then maybe think about buying the next pack when it comes out, not 6-12 months later once it's announced that pack buyers will be getting some additional bonus.

So... sorry, but no.

#159 Roadkill

• 3,610 posts

Posted 16 September 2014 - 07:52 PM

View PostNinja Daddy, on 16 September 2014 - 06:39 PM, said:

I am an IS loyalist. Since I started playing the only packages for sale have been the Clan Packs.

I want the Limited Edition King Crab. I understand I can buy the non-LE King Crabs for CBills but not the Limited Edition one.

Please, create an IS pack that qualifies me for the LE King Crab.

Sell me a handful of existing Mechs with a bundled color and a cockpit item that already exists. Make up an interesting story to go with it. Charge me a reasonable amount of money and give me the LE King Crab.

Seems pretty simple.

This I can support. Create a new pack for IS loyalists (or any of the rest of us, too) to buy.

But not the Founders, Phoenix, or Sabre packs. Those limited editions are gone and should not be sold again.

#160 Dark DeLaurel

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Devoted
  • The Devoted
  • 579 posts
  • Google+: Link
  • LocationWarShip Sleipnir, Spinward-Coreward Quadrant

Posted 16 September 2014 - 07:58 PM

View PostRoadkill, on 16 September 2014 - 07:49 PM, said:

Well this is not going to be popular, but I'll actually take it one step further...

No to all. Especially no to the Founders packs, but I also vote no on the Phoenix and Sabre packs. (Clan packs are still for sale, so are a moot point.)

I'm very sorry that people are now having non-buyer's remorse. But they didn't buy. Those of us who did buy, and in many cases were mocked for buying, are the only ones who deserve this reward. We were the ones who pre-ordered the packs without knowing anything about the Mechs. We are the ones who supported the game while others were campaigning N.O.P.E.

Buying them now is not a sign of loyalty. It's a sign of greed. These are not greed rewards, they are loyalty rewards.

Feel free to buy them later, once they're available for MC and/or c-bills. And then maybe think about buying the next pack when it comes out, not 6-12 months later once it's announced that pack buyers will be getting some additional bonus.

So... sorry, but no.

View PostRoadkill, on 16 September 2014 - 07:52 PM, said:

This I can support. Create a new pack for IS loyalists (or any of the rest of us, too) to buy.

But not the Founders, Phoenix, or Sabre packs. Those limited editions are gone and should not be sold again.

I can stand behind both of these statements 100%. Create another pack, but do not reuse any of the (F) or (P) versions, limit should be limited (even if it is digital, we won't go down that road in this thread).

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users