Balance

142 replies to this topic

#41 The Amazing Atomic Spaniel

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 932 posts
  • LocationBath, UK

Posted 27 November 2014 - 11:42 PM

View PostNautilusCommand, on 27 November 2014 - 07:27 PM, said:

Let's make this short and sweet. LRM's Angle of Attack is kinda ridiculous, They fly up and over everything and make some maps unplayable in pug matches. The amount of times I still get hit while behind buildings is some next level BS.

No. I'm rubbish at this game, but I almost never get killed by LRMs and when I take them find they're hard to use effectively because they're just too easy to counter or avoid.

#42 mrpetzold

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Bridesmaid
  • 145 posts

Posted 27 November 2014 - 11:43 PM

View PostStefka Kerensky, on 27 November 2014 - 11:28 PM, said:

If there is a shared info, this means that an enemy still has los to you.

Rarad depr warns you both visual (lil flash) and sound (bleep) every time someone gets los or lose los to you.
I can say that I rarely have problem with lrm, and, when radar depr on, I quite never get hit by.
And I sure you I don't hide all time :)
It's happens because lrm speed is just too damn slow!

Not sure if you are trolling, or being serious to be honest.
I am not the one who has the most problem with lrm, especially not in the peak-hours since the top-bracket rarely has it. But outside of the peak-hours, or more precice, the opposite of the peak-hours it is a huge issue. When 6-8 players on each team is a lurm-boat who stays back waiting for someone else to target someone so he can push his button it is a huge issue. Ofc, I can stay back with them, but how fun is this game if 24 people on each side stays back? Didn't we learn anything from the jumpsniping era?
I have no problem if they boost both the velocity and damage on the lrm, if they fix AOA. That way they can punish those out of position in the open. Now in those opposite peakhours they punish those that doesn't camp in one position with the 6-8 lrmboats on your team.

Edited by mrpetzold, 27 November 2014 - 11:45 PM.

#43 RiggsIron

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 110 posts

Posted 27 November 2014 - 11:43 PM

View PostAbivard, on 27 November 2014 - 09:36 PM, said:

You think it is unreasonable to expose your legs to fire for over 10 seconds and suffer damage?

Just how much time under fire do you think should pass before you take real damage? 30 seconds? 45 seconds? A minute? never?

perhaps you dont realize - if someone is shooting you with direct fire you can at least shoot back, but you cant shoot back at a hidden LRM boat behind a hill hitting for the entire time you are running for cover.

it seems strange how many forum posters do not seem to realize this fact in the game.

#44 zortesh

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Merciless
  • The Merciless
  • 624 posts

Posted 27 November 2014 - 11:47 PM

View PostRiggsIron, on 27 November 2014 - 11:43 PM, said:

perhaps you dont realize - if someone is shooting you with direct fire you can at least shoot back, but you cant shoot back at a hidden LRM boat behind a hill hitting for the entire time you are running for cover.

it seems strange how many forum posters do not seem to realize this fact in the game.

Yeah because most mechs can totally shoot back at that guass/erll sniper thats 1400+ meters away.....

Ever catch a banshee or something with all torso weapons on a hill? they can't shoot back at you either.....

Edited by zortesh, 27 November 2014 - 11:48 PM.

#45 RiggsIron

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 110 posts

Posted 27 November 2014 - 11:51 PM

View PostMercules, on 27 November 2014 - 09:44 PM, said:

No, in Closed Beta they had a much steeper angle; they also did more damage and flew faster. They did a more dramatic swooping effect that looked nicer too, but they removed that. So way back when some of us learned how not to be hit by them they were actually more powerful than they currently are. No really, they are pretty weak right now.

Hmmmm... How many Dual Gauss salvos would it take to leg you? How many LPL Salvos?

How cares if they are weaker than a previous OP state? They are still absurd. A current fact is not refuted by what happened 2 years ago.

See above about direct fire weapons and being able to shoot back.

And perhaps you are also unaware multiple players in a game take LRMs - perhaps if you played more now you would see this plain fact. 3-4 mechs firing 200-300 missles in a single salvo - so in the seconds it takes to get from one cover to another you can lose most of your armor even in an assault mech. While not even being able to see or target them back.

this sounds balanced?
Or perhaps like others posting favoring LRMs you are also not aware of how many people play, and how it affects the solo game. Or care.

#46 STEF_

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Nocturnal
  • The Nocturnal
  • 5,443 posts
  • Locationmy cockpit

Posted 27 November 2014 - 11:53 PM

View Postmrpetzold, on 27 November 2014 - 11:43 PM, said:

Not sure if you are trolling, or being serious to be honest.

hehehehe, you know... I'm reading about "lrm OP"/"lrm terribads" threads since.... always. Every day I find one or 2 ""new"" thread about this.
So, it happens to get really bored about.
HEY! The same feeling I have with lrm!(must be a coincidence). They are annoying, nothing more than this.

Imo, Pgi will do absolutely nothing about lrm. Noobs are scared/hit by them, good players mock lrm boaters, so, yes, they are in a good spot, right now. :)

#47 mrpetzold

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Bridesmaid
  • 145 posts

Posted 27 November 2014 - 11:55 PM

View PostStefka Kerensky, on 27 November 2014 - 11:53 PM, said:

hehehehe, you know... I'm reading about "lrm OP"/"lrm terribads" threads since.... always. Every day I find one or 2 ""new"" thread about this.
So, it happens to get really bored about.
HEY! The same feeling I have with lrm!(must be a coincidence). They are annoying, nothing more than this.

Imo, Pgi will do absolutely nothing about lrm. Noobs are scared/hit by them, good players mock lrm boaters, so, yes, they are in a good spot, right now. :)

What do one have to do to make you answer to the actual post?
Im gonna try again, please concentrate about the part that comes now.

I am not the one who has the most problem with lrm, especially not in the peak-hours since the top-bracket rarely has it. But outside of the peak-hours, or more precice, the opposite of the peak-hours it is a huge issue. When 6-8 players on each team is a lurm-boat who stays back waiting for someone else to target someone so he can push his button it is a huge issue. Ofc, I can stay back with them, but how fun is this game if 24 people on each side stays back? Didn't we learn anything from the jumpsniping era?[/color]
[color=#959595]I have no problem if they boost both the velocity and damage on the lrm, if they fix AOA. That way they can punish those out of position in the open. Now in those opposite peakhours they punish those that doesn't camp in one position with the 6-8 lrmboats on your team.

Edited by mrpetzold, 27 November 2014 - 11:56 PM.

#48 RiggsIron

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 110 posts

Posted 27 November 2014 - 11:56 PM

View PostBishop Steiner, on 27 November 2014 - 09:53 PM, said:

No tto sound mean...but use better cover? I find if I use buildings and such 50% higher than me, it tends to block them jsut fine.

the bloody things average about 30% accuracy for a reason.

It might be up to a whopping 35% with NARC useful and ECM not god mode cloaking anymore, but they are seriously still the least accurate and efficient weapon in the game.

And this coming from a guy with neither ECM or AMS on the majority of his mechs. Or LRMs.

Use cover, not concealment.

It is so much fun to spend most of a game hiding under cover right?

And if you get caught moving from one cover to another and get hit with multiple boats of LRMs in that 5 seconds - well thats fun too right?

Maybe you are not aware the maps do not have 100% cover over every square inch of the map. maybe try some out and see how many hills do NOT provide cover from LRMs, and small buildings, and open areas...really you should check out the game.

#49 RiggsIron

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 110 posts

Posted 28 November 2014 - 12:00 AM

View PostMercules, on 27 November 2014 - 10:51 PM, said:

The amount of damage LRMs do is inversely related to the skill of the target.

There is no map where cover is non-existent.

If you get hit with LRMs you probably made a mistake. I make mistakes and occasionally get hit with LRMs. If this happens to you a lot.... well.... I know you don't want to hear it, but you probably need to figure something out because they are literally the weakest viable weapons in the game. (Flamers just are not viable at all)

"Learn to play noob!"

Omg that is the most original argument ever. I have never seen that before in any game ever.

There are no balance issues, only stupid noobs. Right?

Lemme guess - you used to be big on the poptarting too? When people complained about that were they also stupid noobs?

#50 STEF_

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Nocturnal
  • The Nocturnal
  • 5,443 posts
  • Locationmy cockpit

Posted 28 November 2014 - 12:02 AM

View Postmrpetzold, on 27 November 2014 - 11:55 PM, said:

What do one have to do to make you answer to the actual post?
Im gonna try again, please concentrate about the part that comes now.

I am not the one who has the most problem with lrm, especially not in the peak-hours since the top-bracket rarely has it. But outside of the peak-hours, or more precice, the opposite of the peak-hours it is a huge issue. When 6-8 players on each team is a lurm-boat who stays back waiting for someone else to target someone so he can push his button it is a huge issue. Ofc, I can stay back with them, but how fun is this game if 24 people on each side stays back? Didn't we learn anything from the jumpsniping era?[/color]
[color=#959595]I have no problem if they boost both the velocity and damage on the lrm, if they fix AOA. That way they can punish those out of position in the open. Now in those opposite peakhours they punish those that doesn't camp in one position with the 6-8 lrmboats on your team.

Yes, I can get it, mrpetzhold, I was trolling. (anwser to you previous doubt)

#51 Abivard

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Shredder
  • 1,935 posts
  • LocationFree Rasalhague Republic

Posted 28 November 2014 - 12:02 AM

View PostRiggsIron, on 27 November 2014 - 11:43 PM, said:

So you want to be immune from any mech you are not shooting at?

#52 NautilusCommand

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 695 posts

Posted 28 November 2014 - 12:19 AM

Will you guys shut up about everything else, FFS. This was about the
A.o.A. (Angle of Attack) Not anything else. You guys are insufferable, holy sh!t. Try to keep it on topic and relevant. Not "my opinion on lrms over all are; X". If you have nothing to say about the AoA then get the hell out of this thread.

Edited by NautilusCommand, 28 November 2014 - 12:23 AM.

#53 mrpetzold

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Bridesmaid
  • 145 posts

Posted 28 November 2014 - 12:29 AM

View PostStefka Kerensky, on 28 November 2014 - 12:02 AM, said:

Yes, I can get it, mrpetzhold, I was trolling. (anwser to you previous doubt)

Well, then gtfo of this thread, and let those who actually care about this game help pgi to come up with soloutions that can bring this game up to the next level.
I for one would like to see the playerbase of this game to increase so that both the competetive and casual scene of this game get a good boost on the the little longer run.

New players in this game (yeah those who actually are newbs, that make several mistakes every match and dont know the maps and which places in the map has cover against f.ex lurms) Most players starts as newbs that after the first 25 matches gets lurmed to death everytime. In the opposite peak-hours of this game there is "only" 1 ELO-bracket because of the lack of players online at those times. There it is usually 6-8 lurmboats on both teams now, and that is a problem. From what I have heard, it is pretty similar in the lower-ELO brackets in the peak-hours. So the new player that might own 1 mech or something, that definetly dont have radar dep will most likely be lurmed to death by players with the same skills that use a no-skill weapon. How many of those players will quit this game pretty fast? The answer is alot. And that is not good for this game.

To balance the LRM as a viable weapon in all elo-brackets might be really hard, without it being OP in one ELO-bracket and useless in another. But it is not impossible. This game isn't just about the top-ELO players/units, it is important to think about the rest of the playerbase (and more important potential playerbase). Balanced LRM isn't the only thing ofc, but it is most definetly needed. AOA is a good way to start.

Edited by mrpetzold, 28 November 2014 - 12:30 AM.

#54 Mechwarrior Buddah

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 13,459 posts
  • LocationUSA

Posted 28 November 2014 - 12:34 AM

View Postmrpetzold, on 27 November 2014 - 10:33 PM, said:

Probably why you use it?

You think you know my history? Try again. WHY Ive been using them:

Posted Image

Posted Image

You fail.

View PostMercules, on 27 November 2014 - 10:51 PM, said:

The amount of damage LRMs do is inversely related to the skill of the target.

There is no map where cover is non-existent.

If you get hit with LRMs you probably made a mistake. I make mistakes and occasionally get hit with LRMs. If this happens to you a lot.... well.... I know you don't want to hear it, but you probably need to figure something out because they are literally the weakest viable weapons in the game. (Flamers just are not viable at all)

And yet if you tell ppl to learn to play the damn game and figure out how to avoid them, you become the *******. I've played mostly assaults since CB and dont use ECM OR ams. Why am I not bawling all over the forums about LRMs?

#55 Captain Stiffy

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Liquid Metal
  • Liquid Metal
  • 2,234 posts

Posted 28 November 2014 - 01:02 AM

[Redacted Quote]

LRM's are not supposed to be line of sight weapons.

Edited by John Wolf, 30 November 2014 - 05:54 AM.
Redacted quote

#56 NautilusCommand

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 695 posts

Posted 28 November 2014 - 01:04 AM

View PostCaptain Stiffy, on 28 November 2014 - 01:02 AM, said:

LRM's are not supposed to be line of sight weapons.

*facepalm*

Edited by John Wolf, 30 November 2014 - 05:54 AM.
Unconstructive Image

#57 mrpetzold

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Bridesmaid
  • 145 posts

Posted 28 November 2014 - 01:06 AM

View PostMechwarrior Buddah, on 28 November 2014 - 12:34 AM, said:

You think you know my history? Try again. WHY Ive been using them:

I'm sorry about not knowing the reason that you use lurms. My bad. I understand that now. But it doesn't change the fact that lrm is not in a good balanced place for all elo-brackets at the moment. I wrote more about that in the post above your last answer. And in another post I also wrote that I wouldn't mind at all a buff to velocity and damage. But the AOA is not in a good place right now.

The reason I started to answer you was the condecending "you must be new" argument. It is against those who are new, and stop playing this game early because of lrm's, that lrms are OP. On the other side of the scale lrm as useless against the top-bracket. To find the correct balance and make it viable for all elo-brackets is needed.

#58 Zerberus

• Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 3,488 posts
  • LocationUnder the floorboards looking for the Owner`s Manual

Posted 28 November 2014 - 01:08 AM

View PostNautilusCommand, on 27 November 2014 - 07:39 PM, said:

They went from a weapon (now this is the part I bring up table top) that you fill in some tons. They helped you do damage while closing distance, but now they are a primary weapon for builds.

If they are not also a primary weapons system in TT, then please explain to me the existence of the Catapult, Archer, Mad Dog, and any other mech with 30 tubes or more.

#59 zortesh

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Merciless
  • The Merciless
  • 624 posts

Posted 28 November 2014 - 01:09 AM

Angle of attack is fine, if you put cover at a right angle to where the lrms are coming from you only barely need a taller building then yourself....

People think there behind cover, scream about op strait down lrm angles, ignoring the fact that lrms are being fired in from a different flank.

The angle is fine..........

#60 Captain Stiffy

• Liquid Metal
  • Liquid Metal
  • 2,234 posts

Posted 28 November 2014 - 01:16 AM

View Postzortesh, on 28 November 2014 - 01:09 AM, said:

Angle of attack is fine, if you put cover at a right angle to where the lrms are coming from you only barely need a taller building then yourself....

People think there behind cover, scream about op strait down lrm angles, ignoring the fact that lrms are being fired in from a different flank.

The angle is fine..........

I think they have absolutely no clue how bad it once was. There was a period of at least a few weeks where they would harshly angle way up and almost straight down onto your head. There was almost no cover that was enough.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users