Operation Frontline 2

468 replies to this topic

#261 Warboy

Rookie

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 5 posts

Posted 12 September 2016 - 11:37 AM

i've been working on mastering several mechs in each weight class, got modules for them all, played around with different builds to see what worked and what i liked playing.
i've been putting off playing faction warfare for a while, but i was interested to take up the challenge for this event, and i was relatively satisfied that i was as ready as i was going to get.

the wait times didn't really phase me at all, the long tom-foolery was annoying but not game-breaking, and even scouting for inner sphere wasn't all that bad (ok it was bad, but it was bearable). the "new" maps were cool looking and i enjoyed that they offered a more tactical/strategic gameplay mode than the standard skirmish/skirmish with flags/skirmish in the circle games i've become used to.

so my wingman and i jump in, hook up with a group from our own faction to try out some invasions.

we pull our weight, too. we spot out enemies, we launch UAVs and drop airstrikes on enemy formations, we communicate intel with the team, including what we see on seismic, we stick with the group, we fire on targets that get called out, we LISTEN and follow orders, and we support our teammates as best we can when left to our own devices. we take it seriously and we don't try to be heroes. we consistently pull respectable numbers by the time the match ends.

but i don't think i'll be finishing this challenge, nor returning to faction play, and i can't even blame the developers. (by the way guys, great job, this is actually a really good mechwarrior game)

to explain: i run dual LB10-X ACs on my RFL-LK, and one on my BJ-1DC, because they're mechs that i'm used to, that i've customized to run heat efficient, with weapons i'm comfortable using. my wingman has performance/framerate issues, so he runs LRM-heavy builds as they cause the least amount of problems and he can get away with having less than perfect aim when his framerate tanks.

are you ready to tell us how bad our builds are, and what terrible pilots we must be, and that we should only run what's on metamechs like everybody else? because our teammates sure were!

i get that metamechs is the result of a lot of collaborative effort and testing, and that's great, but i've tried those builds, and i really didn't like (some of) them. they took me way outside of my comfort zone and preferred playstyle, not to mention how hot they ran. i have much more fun and perform better in the builds i've created for myself, focused around my own playstyle and based on my own experimentation and testing. one size does not fit all.

but getting back to my point: the level of trash talk from the "elite tier" players on our own team, even before the fight started was frankly demoralizing. i stopped wanting to fight for them. i still fought (1400 or so damage by the end) because i'm a freaking mechwarrior, and i don't roll over like that. but as soon as the match ended, i left the team and logged out. i have not felt inclined to log back in and continue playing, even with 30 days of active premium time ticking away.

i guess what i'm trying to say is, if you elite tier guys want the player base to grow and improve rather than dwindle and stagnate... maybe try to be a little more accommodating of players that don't fit the same mold you do, rather than telling them to uninstall because they're not playing it right.

Edited by Warboy, 12 September 2016 - 12:17 PM.

#262 Commander A9

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Mercenary Rank 8
  • 2,375 posts
  • LocationGDI East Coast Command, Fort Dix, NJ

Posted 12 September 2016 - 11:37 AM

And....6 of us crashed upon hitting launch!

6!

SIX!

Why, PGI, why!?

#263 Alexander Garden

Producer

• Developer
  • Developer
  • 1,510 posts

Posted 12 September 2016 - 11:46 AM

Hey all,

Given the number of players affected by the incorrect 'Mech injections, and the variable status of the 'Mechs in each account (from 'Mech sellbacks, equipment changes, etc) we've decided that Support services will not be performing manual swaps of the reward 'Mechs.
Instead, when the Event comes to an end those players who received the wrong 'Mech for completing their associated Ultimate Faction challenge will receive the 'Mech that should have been injected. These injections of the correct 'Mechs will be performed on Tuesday, September 20th.
The 'Mech those players received in error will also remain in their account, or in the case of a sellback, they will keep the C-Bills acquired from the sale.

We feel the above solution is the best middle ground in this case. Apologies to anyone who was affected by this issue; with the problem fixed no additional instances of incorrect 'Mech rewards should occur.

#264 Matt Newman

Live Ops Manager

• Developer
  • Developer
  • 1,049 posts

Posted 12 September 2016 - 11:50 AM

Hey Guys! Disregard my post! Alex's post is the real action plan here.

View PostDGTLDaemon, on 12 September 2016 - 11:17 AM, said:

Thank you, Matt :) But why does this number make me real, real sad?

Not sure why it makes you sad Daemon. There were a significant number of people on the verge of earning the incorrect reward before when we corrected it.

Trust me event planning isn't easy.
Some folks earn rewards at a high rate due to either high scores and high volume play.
Some folks earn rewards at a slow rate due to lower scoring matches and less play time
We try to cater our events in the middle of the bell curve using match telemetry.
Planning events based on Medium Match scores and Medium play time.
Some people blaze through that and others never complete it.
These are the folks that may say "too EZ" or " I have a family! How can I complete this?" (I know I have a family too)
They believe their experience is the norm. When in fact, they may be the outliers on the edge of the play experience bell curve.

Hope that give you some insight.

(as a side note the 350 corrections omits those people who had already earned both rewards not requiring any correction)

#265 tee5

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 533 posts

Posted 12 September 2016 - 11:59 AM

View PostApollo777, on 12 September 2016 - 09:10 AM, said:

I really don't know how to get FP challenges done!! i'm working at day time, when i come home have a few houres to play but can't find a match at the momment! Yesterday waited almost 90 min. to get a match!!! And i whish i had a suggestion how to fix it but i don't, I just whish i had more time for it.Posted Image

Form bigger groups, with a group size of 8-12 you get much faster matches.
Go on teamspeaks find units or open groups you can play with.

#266 DGTLDaemon

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Shredder
  • 746 posts
  • LocationUkraine

Posted 12 September 2016 - 12:00 PM

View PostMatt Newman, on 12 September 2016 - 11:50 AM, said:

Hope that give you some insight.

Thank you for the detailed explanation, Matt. I guess I expected that the number of players who already completed the event over the weekend would be in the thousands, and seeing just 350 got me thinking in the wrong direction about the current game population. Once again, thanks for clearing things up, and for responding even to rhetorical questions :)

#267 Pepito Sbazzeguti

• PipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 95 posts

Posted 12 September 2016 - 12:10 PM

View PostAlexander Garden, on 12 September 2016 - 11:46 AM, said:

Hey all,

Given the number of players affected by the incorrect 'Mech injections, and the variable status of the 'Mechs in each account (from 'Mech sellbacks, equipment changes, etc) we've decided that Support services will not be performing manual swaps of the reward 'Mechs.
Instead, when the Event comes to an end those players who received the wrong 'Mech for completing their associated Ultimate Faction challenge will receive the 'Mech that should have been injected. These injections of the correct 'Mechs will be performed on Tuesday, September 20th.
The 'Mech those players received in error will also remain in their account, or in the case of a sellback, they will keep the C-Bills acquired from the sale.

We feel the above solution is the best middle ground in this case. Apologies to anyone who was affected by this issue; with the problem fixed no additional instances of incorrect 'Mech rewards should occur.

Thank you, do we have to do a support ticket for this or the right mech will be injected automatically in our account?

#268 Alexander Garden

Producer

• Developer
  • Developer
  • 1,510 posts

Posted 12 September 2016 - 12:14 PM

View PostPepito Sbazzeguti, on 12 September 2016 - 12:10 PM, said:

Thank you, do we have to do a support ticket for this or the right mech will be injected automatically in our account?

It will be automatic, no action needed from your end.
If you do have a Support ticket already open you'll receive a reply from us conveying essentially the same info from my post.

#269 Dee Eight

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Big Daddy
  • Big Daddy
  • 6,271 posts

Posted 12 September 2016 - 12:30 PM

View PostWarboy, on 12 September 2016 - 11:37 AM, said:

are you ready to tell us how bad our builds are, and what terrible pilots we must be, and that we should only run what's on metamechs like everybody else? because our teammates sure were!

i get that metamechs is the result of a lot of collaborative effort and testing, and that's great, but i've tried those builds, and i really didn't like (some of) them. they took me way outside of my comfort zone and preferred playstyle, not to mention how hot they ran. i have much more fun and perform better in the builds i've created for myself, focused around my own playstyle and based on my own experimentation and testing. one size does not fit all.

but getting back to my point: the level of trash talk from the "elite tier" players on our own team, even before the fight started was frankly demoralizing. i stopped wanting to fight for them. i still fought (1400 or so damage by the end) because i'm a freaking mechwarrior, and i don't roll over like that. but as soon as the match ended, i left the team and logged out. i have not felt inclined to log back in and continue playing, even with 30 days of active premium time ticking away.

i guess what i'm trying to say is, if you elite tier guys want the player base to grow and improve rather than dwindle and stagnate... maybe try to be a little more accommodating of players that don't fit the same mold you do, rather than telling them to uninstall because they're not playing it right.

THAT right there is why the mode is dead. Its not all the problems with the game on the PGI end, its the problem with the players still playing it, and how they treat the folks that really, they're dependant on, for the games to even happen, for without sufficient numbers the matches never actually launch. I figured that out pre-phase 3 and before the numbers had shrunk with all the problems that came with that patch in April. Hell the continuiing dead horse LRMs thread in the faction forum is further proof of the ongoing issue with the tiertards vs the normal folks.

#270 Apollo777

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 265 posts
  • LocationEarth

Posted 12 September 2016 - 12:33 PM

View Posttee5, on 12 September 2016 - 11:59 AM, said:

Form bigger groups, with a group size of 8-12 you get much faster matches.
Go on teamspeaks find units or open groups you can play with.

Belive me we waited about 45 min for a match with 12 man on TS(unit).

#271 Duncan1dah0

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Crusader
  • The Crusader
  • 375 posts
  • LocationWazan, Zion Cluster

Posted 12 September 2016 - 12:39 PM

Thanks PGI for the right decision.

#272 LordLosh

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Blood-Eye
  • The Blood-Eye
  • 409 posts

Posted 12 September 2016 - 12:51 PM

Well that couldn't of gone any better for me. I got a crap Zeus I can sell and the 20th I get my executioner. Thanks free cbills. I worry though that the Zeus is so worthless I won't get anything for it when I sell :)

#273 Crashking

• PipPipPip
  • Survivor
  • 75 posts
  • LocationIn Game

Posted 12 September 2016 - 12:51 PM

Great new! As I was wondering here about needing to change over to the Clan side to earn the other mech reward. I wasn't entirely opposed to this idea, but it was going to require a bit of research back here to see what impact the change was going to have on my loyalist status. It was mentioned that there is sever penalty for changing out like up to a week worth of time where I might not be able to pick a side or earn point under new choice. With the choice to grant correct mech to those that have received the incorrect one this point of changing side becomes moot to me.

Would love a link to the most recent info or a thread discussing such as my research has seemed to fail.

#274 Rebel Ace Fryslan

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 444 posts
  • LocationAd Astra

Posted 12 September 2016 - 12:59 PM

Difficult to find any clan lights to KMDD in this event.

#275 Tester128

• PipPipPip
  • 88 posts

Posted 12 September 2016 - 01:07 PM

View PostRebel Ace Fryslan, on 12 September 2016 - 12:59 PM, said:

if you see a kodi or a dire, then there will be corresponding cheetah or a mist lynx

#276 Whiplash Wally

• PipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 72 posts
  • LocationTexas

Posted 12 September 2016 - 01:18 PM

I can confirm the rewards have been fixed. Just finished the clan side and got my Executioner.

#277 Alienized

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Rage
  • Rage
  • 3,781 posts
  • LocationGermany

Posted 12 September 2016 - 01:22 PM

View PostRebel Ace Fryslan, on 12 September 2016 - 12:59 PM, said:

you find some in scout mode.
or in the rare case they get to the light wave in invasion. but its most likley a jenner-2C-gen-rush which will almost instadrop a generator with a alpha per mech.

#278 Tester128

• PipPipPip
  • 88 posts

Posted 12 September 2016 - 01:24 PM

View PostLordLosh, on 12 September 2016 - 12:51 PM, said:

Well that couldn't of gone any better for me. I got a crap Zeus I can sell and the 20th I get my executioner. Thanks free cbills. I worry though that the Zeus is so worthless I won't get anything for it when I sell Posted Image

well, it has an xl engine.

#279 invernomuto

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Giant Helper
  • Giant Helper
  • 1,065 posts
  • LocationItaly

Posted 12 September 2016 - 01:31 PM

View PostJaidenHaze, on 10 September 2016 - 12:33 AM, said:

I'm very disappointed with this event. It was teased for 2 weeks and this is it?

A) No new goals - This event was teased when Russ said, they had new telemetrics. So where are they? Instead of the same old Get DAMAGE! or GET KMDDs in Scouting Mode, we could have gotten goals that reward good team play. "Lance Formation", "Protected Medium" or "Protected Light" reward sticking with other players so they can act as a team. What about Brawler, Flanking or Scouting? These will incentivize a good playstyle.

B ) Uneven Rewards - Its maddening that a IS Player can only get a Zeus while the Clans get a Exe. Thats without the Mech Bay a difference of ~4600 to 7200 MC. Why?

C) Mercs can get both rewards - same question. Why? I think its very unfair to Loyalists, that are straight punished for choosing their faction all those months ago.

I know not everything can be fixed (namely A) but please do something against B and C.

Right now, its already very hard to get KMDDs in Scouting when all you play against are Crows, Jenner IICs and Novas. The chosen reward structure doesnt help that one bit.

Agreed on point B and C.
It's unfair for IS and for Loyalist.

#280 Count Zero 74

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • IS Exemplar
  • IS Exemplar
  • 733 posts

Posted 12 September 2016 - 01:33 PM

View PostRighter8, on 12 September 2016 - 09:42 AM, said:

I'm in the same boat. I don't feel the challenges are impossible, however getting INTO the game is causing the bigger obstacle. I hope someone at PGI takes this into consideration and adjusts the challenge requirements or devises a way to allow more frequent drops.

Thanks.

Once again, only you Jade Falcons have to wait, for everyone else it's insta-drops all day long. Noone wants to play with you, get it?

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users