Gamespy comments on gameplay, a problem of perception?

190 replies to this topic

#1 Sybreed

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,199 posts
  • LocationQuebec

Posted 18 July 2012 - 12:02 PM

Hey all,

in case you didn't know, gamespy has been covering MWO since the beginning and gave it some good publicity. Unfortunately, in the last Centurion video, the editor wrote that well, the game looks boring to play and might not last long in a world filled with twitch shooters and competitive MOBA games.

Maybe PGI should do some more marketing to adress the fear of some would-be new players?

link to the article:

http://pc.gamespy.co.../1225461p1.html

#2 Kell Draygo

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • 884 posts
  • LocationNew Jersey

Posted 18 July 2012 - 12:05 PM

Gamespy can go suck a lemon.

#3 Ronin of Ako

• PipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 47 posts
  • Google+: Link
  • LocationApple Valley, CA USA

Posted 18 July 2012 - 12:05 PM

I think it is obvious that the editor didn't get a beta key....

#4 Arctic Fox

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 427 posts
  • LocationLuyten 68-28

Posted 18 July 2012 - 12:07 PM

'8.5 tons of armor', 'Autocannon/10' and 'Medium Laser' is technobabble now? I can understand LRM, not really technobabble but I guess someone might not figure out what it stands for, but what is so difficult about armour, Autocannons and Lasers?

Edited by Arctic Fox, 18 July 2012 - 12:08 PM.

#5 BenEEeees VAT GROWN BACON

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,217 posts
  • Google+: Link
  • LocationSingapore, South East Asia

Posted 18 July 2012 - 12:07 PM

Yeah ... the author sounds like a total douchebag spewing ignorance. C'mon seriously?

It doesn't look like and feel COD / Modern Warfare and I've never played Mechwarrior before DDDUUUUuuuuuuuuuuuuurrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr........ I shall write an impression that I think it's boring.

It's people like him that keep publishers conservative and scared of innovating. Total troll that should be fired.

Bribe taking, biased reviewing *****

Edited by BenEEeees VAT GROWN BACON, 18 July 2012 - 12:10 PM.

#6 Turbo

• PipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 79 posts
  • LocationPhilly

Posted 18 July 2012 - 12:08 PM

A lot of the gamespy reviews and previews are lacking in objectivity, most of them are filled with a single persons view of the game. The guy who wrote this has no history with BT, nor does he seem to have any interest in learning. Heck the comments on the page show what the community there thinks of them (not to highly).

#7 Shredhead

• Shredder
  • Shredder
  • 1,939 posts
  • LocationLeipzig, Germany

Posted 18 July 2012 - 12:09 PM

Nice one, asking "What do you think?" and then block the comment section. It's only a little CoD kiddie troll, let it go...
Nope, it was my ghostery blocking the comments...

Edited by Shredhead, 18 July 2012 - 12:11 PM.

#8 Turbo

• PipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 79 posts
  • LocationPhilly

Posted 18 July 2012 - 12:10 PM

I wonder if he thinks WOT is boring too, since you can get hit multiple times and it can take 15 minutes for a match to end.

#9 Jumbik

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 161 posts

Different point of view ... I have completely opposite one. I think the game looks pretty good and that the Mech fights will be fun. The game content ... well that's a different question as we did not see any of the game modes or the map and whole economy behind it.

#10 Silent

• 1,207 posts
  • LocationButte Hold

He has a point on the technobabble.

90% of what the announcer was saying in that video about variants and the various weapon loadouts is moon language to anyone that doesn't follow the franchise.

#11 Hyperius

• PipPipPip
  • 87 posts
  • LocationCanada

The author simply doesn't get the appeal of a slower paced, deliberate shooter. I don't think it has much to do with him being new to the franchise so much as him being a different gamer than MWO target audience. For what it's worth, I'm new to MechWarrior and this game looks amazing (hence why I'm a founder).

#12 TimberWolfz

• PipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 82 posts
  • LocationEngland

Posted 18 July 2012 - 12:12 PM

Gamespys just a general state all in all cant take anything they say seriously

#13 Xune

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 810 posts
  • LocationGermany

Posted 18 July 2012 - 12:14 PM

I dont realy think that his oppinion matters.

If you dont like Mechwarrior you probably wont stick to the game anyway.
If you are you dont giv a crap about those who call it technobabble ;)

#14 OldDirtyFox

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • The Ogre
  • The Ogre
  • 109 posts
  • LocationOver ther >.>

Posted 18 July 2012 - 12:14 PM

lol even some one who has no history of this game should understand what weapons and armor are and know that the more the better.

This is why i dont read reviews ther just opinions from some one whos not me and does not know what I like in a game.

#15 RAGE Roller

• PipPipPip
  • 85 posts
  • LocationSuperMassiveBlackhole

Posted 18 July 2012 - 12:18 PM

What if they are right, there will be many many peed off people. I for one will get bored real fast with just deathmatch game type.

#16 Mal

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 995 posts

Posted 18 July 2012 - 12:19 PM

I don't think the editor is even remotely familiar with BattleTech/MechWarrior.. or, has seen any of the other gameplay videos.. definitely seemed a bit bored in his writing of the article.

#17 brento73

• PipPipPip
  • Bridesmaid
  • 68 posts
  • LocationMidwest US

Posted 18 July 2012 - 12:19 PM

Yeah, I can see that the video is a little to tech-heavy for someone who just stumbled into the game, with no context. It's obviously intended as a hype-generating info dump for those of us already following the game.

That said, it's very clear, as others have said, that he isn't interested in anything that isn't a total twitch-fest. I'm 38 years old, so I'm not as twitchy as I once was. In fact, I was never really that good to begin with. Having played a number of mech games in the past, starting with MechWarrior in 1989, I know that I do a lot better in this type of game, where tactics play a much larger role than reaction times.

#18 GrimJim

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 293 posts
  • LocationPottery Barn, $120 richer than my fellow Founders

Posted 18 July 2012 - 12:20 PM

Actually to someone who is a gamer and has no exposure to the franchise, yeah, the article is sadly valid.

MW has always been a plodding sim game with robots. We love it because of the lore, stats, mechlab, nostalgia, etc. but it can be somewhat hard for a newbie (with a 21st century attention span) to glean all that from just a trailer.

Personally, I think if they had used Duncan Fisher's VO hawking the Centurion like a used car salesman on Memorial Day, then Gamespy's opinion might be very different! ;)

#19 Rushyo

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 197 posts
  • LocationUK

Posted 18 July 2012 - 12:20 PM

Now that's just sad.

It basically reads as "well I'll be the first to admit I'm completely ignorant about this franchise but I get paid to comment on it so here is my willingly, statedly ignorant opinion nobody asked for".

Remember kids: If something has a niche appeal and they release one piece of footage or media coverage that you don't personally understand, it means you must have a life and everyone who likes it is a sad, lonely geek who only like boring things (and we all know there aren't many of those and they certainly don't have money!) and therefore the product is destined to failure.

Professional, objective analysis there folks.

90% of what the announcer was saying in that video about variants and the various weapon loadouts is moon language to anyone that doesn't follow the franchise.

To which any reasonable person who assume 'that particular video was not aimed at my particular demographic', instead of implying that it would have been much better if it was aimed specifically at them and their peers, for they are the center of the universe.

Personally I've disliked the lack of general techno-babble in the videos thus far. I haven't taken that as a cue to lambast the game for being too 'mainstream' and too 'boring' on the assumptions it's not deep enough. I just know those videos aren't aimed at me.

Edited by Rushyo, 18 July 2012 - 12:26 PM.

#20 xZaOx

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 625 posts
  • LocationCanada

Posted 18 July 2012 - 12:21 PM

MWO stands for Modern Warfare Online right?

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users