To Clan or not to Clan

410 replies to this topic

Poll: Would you play a clan character if you were given the chance? (996 member(s) have cast votes)

Would you play a clan character if you were given the chance?

1. Yes (660 votes [66.27%])

Percentage of vote: 66.27%

2. No (336 votes [33.73%])

Percentage of vote: 33.73%

Vote Guests cannot vote

#41 Hawat

Rookie

• 2 posts

Posted 03 November 2011 - 07:22 PM

Never in a million years would I play Clan.

#42 Der BruzZzler von Wiesndoof

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 1,494 posts
  • LocationAm Grill

Posted 03 November 2011 - 07:27 PM

Play a clan character? Any time, if i had the chance! I don't play a IS-freebirth... :)
But...The IS got some effective technology and many "Awesome" battlemechs. I would pilot some IS-mechs, but not under the flag of IS-houses.

#43 EagleFire

• Pip
  • 18 posts

Posted 03 November 2011 - 07:44 PM

I like going IS just to kill the people who RP Clan full time, man they annoy me.

#44 fishfins

• Pip
  • Rage
  • Rage
  • 15 posts

Posted 03 November 2011 - 07:55 PM

***** that ****.

zelbriggen would be no fun.

#45 CoffiNail

Oathmaster

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Cub
  • The Cub
  • 4,285 posts
  • Facebook: Link
  • Twitter: Link
  • LocationSome place with other Ghost Bears. A dropship or planet, who knows. ((Winnipeg,MB))

Posted 03 November 2011 - 08:49 PM

View PostJaroth Winson, on 03 November 2011 - 07:10 PM, said:

You are not talking to a Jaguar either surat. The rest of the clans found that action to be detestable & wasteful so your point is mute. We may have spent as much time fighting each other true,

EVERYONE who thinks this NEEDS to go read the part where Phelan convinces Ulric to not use the same sort of tactic by bidding away the Direwolf.

Ulric thought it was a waste due to the resources and such for taking out Edo. HE DID NOT THINK IT WAS A HORRIBLE THING. IlKhan Lincon Osis Stripped the Star Captain (iirc S. Cap) of his rank, and also thought it was extremly wasteful and should not have happened.

THIS WAS ONE COMMANDER who got over whelmed because you get Dark Caste raids but not rioting, civillian bombing, and other dezgra terrorism actions. He also found out the population did not give the heir of the Combine over to them. Clan Society you are encourage to rat out your co-workers if he is slacking, stealing, whatever. You go to your superior, if you are found to be harboring information good chance you will get a public flogging or something of the like, get knocked down a few grades which means less work credits and standard of living. This Commander found Hohiro escaped, and he was furious. HOW do you think a commander would feel if he found out that the heir of the realm you are trying to conquer slipped through your fingers... that you had him in your prison faciilty and he escaped. You would be mad too, even more when you guess how ****** your CO is going to be at you.

The Clan trueborns are RAISED to not think twice about the death. OF ANYONE... aside from Ghost Bear, we honor and remember our fallen. But even then it is not sobbing tears, it is ahh ****, he is gone. Really liked arguing battle tactics over a drink, he was a good bro, I will make sure these surats pay! All Clansmen, be it Warrior of lower caste are there for The Clan, The Clan is life. Read Jade Phoenix 3. The one tech caste would rather die then have his commander work with the honorless scum holding him hostage.

(sorry for the length, i tried to use a spoiler tag)
Khan Ulric and Phelan about Edo

"Aff, Khan Ulric." Phelan saw by Ulric's reaction that he had expected a negative response. I can't let happen to Rasalhague what happened on Turtle Bay. "I know of something that will guarantee you win the bidding." For the first time, Phelan saw uncertainty on the older man's face, and it worried him. Have I overplayed my hand? Have I made myself a danger to him and the Clans?
Ulric's features settled into an impassive mask. "What is it?"
Now or never. "Bid away the Dire Wolf."
The mercenary's answer brought a momentary look of shock to the Khan's face, but it faded quickly. "You do not know what you are suggesting." Even as Ulric spoke, his gaze flicked over Phelan, seeming to reassess what the bondsman had become.
Phelan straightened up. "I believe I do, Khan Ulric." The Kell Hound suddenly found his mouth going dry. "I saw the holovid of the Sabre Cat, the Smoke Jaguar flagship, lasing Edo to put an end to the riots there. I watched as missiles leveled buildings and lasers stabbed down from high orbit to melt the streets. The Sawagashii River boiled away to nothing! In a matter of minutes, a city of over a million was reduced to a charred, glassy scar on the face of the planet. How can you say I don't know what I'm asking?"
"Even the ilKhan believed that a prison break and six weeks of riots were not enough to justify that sort of retaliation." The Khan's eyes focused beyond the holotank. "I give you my word that I will never so level a world."

Clans dishing out justice Clan style, yes it is harsh, but their homeworlds are mostly harsh inhospitable enviroments.

The infantryman pointed to the hovel nearest the Daishi. "If the individual responsible is not turned over to us in the next two minutes, everyone in this house will die."
Shin cuffed Motochika roughly. "Fool, see what you have done?"
The younger man looked at Shin as though the Mech Warrior were mad. "You don't expect me to go out there, do you? I struck a blow for our freedom. They're bluffing. They won't destroy that house."
Shin stared hard at the man beside him. "You best hope they don't. If they do, and if you refuse to turn yourself over, I'll shoot you myself and dump your body in the street."
As the deadline neared, faces appeared in the windows and doorways of the street, including the house designated for destruction. The Smoke Jaguar infantryman bowed in the direction of the street, then turned toward the dwelling. At the same time, the Daishi swung its elbows back and locked its weapons down on the wood-scrap and tar-paper hovel.
Motochika turned away, but Shin grabbed a handful of his hair and forced him to look out the window. "Watch!"
At the large laser's hellish touch, the hovel exploded into an instant bonfire. Crackling flames appeared from everywhere at once, rising above the DaishTs head, then dropping down again as a hail of autocannon slugs flattened the building. A woman, her hair and clothing aflame, dashed screaming from the door, but one burst of laser bolts from the invader infantryman silenced her cries forever.
The acrid scent of singed hair and burning flesh made Motochika tear away from Shin's grasp and vomit in the corner. Shin ignored him as the Daishi stepped forward and snuffed the flames beneath its flat metal feet. The infantry spokesman again addressed the street.
"People of Uramachi precinct, we have traced a criminal to this place. He committed the most wasteful and careless act of planting a bomb in a place where civilian and military personnel were present. The explosion caused great loss of life—both to our people and yours. This will not continue."
The soldier pointed to the next hovel. "If the individual responsible is not turned over to us in the next two minutes, everyone in this house will die."
Shin's mouth went sour. "The same words, Motochika, and the same gestures. Are you going to take responsibility for your actions, or are you going to let more people die?"
Motochika, still holding himself on hands and knees, looked weakly over his shoulder at the Kuroi Kiri MechWarrior. "No one else has dared to strike at them as I have. The Old Man authorized expeditions to steal weapons and supplies from them, but we have never hurt them. While he has been content with thievery, they have been kidnapping our people. If I am the only man with true courage, I cannot allow myself to be sacrificed because no one else will actually fight these invaders!"
Shin fought to control the fury Motochika's words aroused. "What courage does it take to plant a bomb and kill innocents as well as the guilty? You are nothing more than a common murderer! And how is it you claim courage when you huddle here like a whipped cur? There must be more than courage. There must be intelligence and honor in your actions. You are a child striking out blindly, then expecting others to take responsibility for your mistakes."
A bright spark of orange caught Shin's eye from the street, and almost instantly he knew what would happen. He leaned over and grabbed Motochika by the collar of his leather jacket. "This is courage. Watch and learn."
A bald-headed, saffron-robed Buddhist monk walked down the rubble-strewn street toward the Smoke Jaguars. He held his hands pressed together just below his chin and bowed to the lead infantryman. "You will forgive me for not appearing sooner. I had sought to deny my fate. I planted the bomb you described. You need punish no one else."
Without hesitation or remorse, the infantryman swung his laser rifle around and triggered it. The bolts stitched their way up the monk's body and knocked him flying. He finally rolled to a stop, smoke rising from the black crater where his face should have been.
The Smoke Jaguars then turned and walked away as though nothing untoward had happened. Shin released Motochika, letting him slump against the window casement, then crept across the floor to the trapdoor. "Were I like you, Motochika, I would shoot you. But it is not my place to challenge the Old Man's authority. I am going to him now to ask for his judgement. If you are the man you claim to be, then follow me."
</spoiler>

Edited by CoffiNail, 03 November 2011 - 08:55 PM.

#46 Sean Pryde

• PipPipPip
  • 52 posts
  • LocationIronhold

Posted 03 November 2011 - 09:26 PM

Well done coffinail, well done.

Also Inner Sphere is just as bad and sometimes even worse. kentares IV? the atrocities of the 1st and 2nd succesion war? heh, makes turtle bay look like a time out in comparison. But then again, in battletech no side is good, and no side is evil, just varying shades of grey.

#47 Jack Gallows

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 1,824 posts

Posted 03 November 2011 - 09:27 PM

It really depends on how they handle how many mechwarriors you can have. If I can only have one, I'll probably only be with House Davion. I'd really like a Ghost Bear mechwarrior, but I'm not sure if I'd want to play him as freeborn from the IS and taken by the Clans, or a Trueborn.

#48 CoffiNail

Oathmaster

• The Cub
  • The Cub
  • 4,285 posts
  • LocationSome place with other Ghost Bears. A dropship or planet, who knows. ((Winnipeg,MB))

Posted 03 November 2011 - 09:28 PM

View PostSean Pryde, on 03 November 2011 - 09:26 PM, said:

Well done coffinail, well done.

Also Inner Sphere is just as bad and sometimes even worse. kentares IV? the atrocities of the 1st and 2nd succesion war? heh, makes turtle bay look like a time out in comparison. But then again, in battletech no side is good, and no side is evil, just varying shades of grey.

Problem is Kenatres is not a novel, I think that is a huge part of it, Edo Bay was covered in a novel and as such more know about it sadly.

#49 azov

• PipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 59 posts
  • LocationHuntress

Posted 03 November 2011 - 09:42 PM

The blood of the Jaguar runs deep within my veins. I will fight to my final breath while my hands are pried from the controls. I swear by the blood of Kerensky, that I will see his vision carried out. With my fellow brothers and sisters we will show you your ignorance and reclaim Terra in the name of the Star League. I promise that all who oppose will only be struck down by the power of my Timberwolf and left to return home and proclaim the terrors you faced in the field of combat. You will never forget the day you fought a Smoke Jaguar. Remember my crest as the Jaguar's claws rip you apart and her fangs sink into your flesh.

#50 Johnathan McKenna

• PipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 88 posts
  • LocationKerensky Cluster

Posted 03 November 2011 - 10:05 PM

*Looks at his own name* I'm not sure if I would play clan or not... :)

#51 CoffiNail

Oathmaster

• The Cub
  • The Cub
  • 4,285 posts

Posted 04 November 2011 - 12:57 PM

View PostJohnathan McKenna, on 03 November 2011 - 10:05 PM, said:

*Looks at his own name* I'm not sure if I would play clan or not... :)

Nope you are obviously going to play for House Liao

#52 flessar

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Knight Errant
  • Knight Errant
  • 175 posts
  • Google+: Link
  • LocationAlabama

Posted 04 November 2011 - 01:11 PM

View Postazov, on 03 November 2011 - 09:42 PM, said:

The blood of the Jaguar runs deep within my veins. I will fight to my final breath while my hands are pried from the controls. I swear by the blood of Kerensky, that I will see his vision carried out. With my fellow brothers and sisters we will show you your ignorance and reclaim Terra in the name of the Star League. I promise that all who oppose will only be struck down by the power of my Timberwolf and left to return home and proclaim the terrors you faced in the field of combat. You will never forget the day you fought a Smoke Jaguar. Remember my crest as the Jaguar's claws rip you apart and her fangs sink into your flesh.

Dont worry, in that first fight you surface look in those dark alley way's and around those lighted streets. If you miss even one, ill bury you with my trashcan. And a Deaths Head will be waiting near by to finish you off, power down and ready for a cold start to ruin your childishly simplistic style of warfare, the only honor you need is that of the victor. And the C-Bill you get after.

#53 Captain Nice HD

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 112 posts
  • LocationTaurian Concordat

The Clans fight to restore the Star League. As a Taurian, I fight to keep it dead and buried.

#54 renegade mitchell

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 332 posts
  • LocationNY

Clanner for life!

#55 Hunter McGee

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 114 posts
  • Location#7 Hiring Hall Tower. 3, Harlech City, Outreach

Posted 04 November 2011 - 01:16 PM

Unless I am wrong, the actual game play starts in 3049? This is correct, aff? Just kidding ya'll. I prefer the life of a Mercenary, honorable of course, so if the stinkin' clanners follow cannon, I will be one step below Bandit Caste. LOL I have every intention of starting my Merc Unit as soon as I see how this thing plays out. Plenty knowledgeable about the game universe, so expect my unit to hunt down the lousy invaders as soon as as we can find them. Money talks. But never forget, your name and reputation are everything to you. Clansmen don't have to all die, just stay the **** out of my Inner Sphere.

#56 Tsen Shang

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 299 posts
  • LocationBrentwood, Tennessee

Posted 04 November 2011 - 01:17 PM

View PostJaroth Winson, on 03 November 2011 - 07:10 PM, said:

You are not talking to a Jaguar either surat. The rest of the clans found that action to be detestable & wasteful so your point is mute. We may have spent as much time fighting each other true, but as you say it was not as destructive. Why? Because we are not barbarians. In a world where your subordinates will fight & kill you to take your spot you become elite because NOTHING is handed to you on a silver platter because of how long you served or who your parents are. You have to EARN what you want & you have to FIGHT to keep it, so forgive us but we will take things seriously because that is what has made us who we are. Take away our tech...........HA! The training a clansman goes through from the time he/she enters the sibko even without our tech we would run circles around your "academy" graduates. Stop dreaming stravag. Thank you for the laugh though.

In my experience, all clanners are either 15 year olds from modern warfare or THIS guy. Clans will unbalance the game permanently, given the number of people who want to play them.

#57 Amarus Cameron

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Star Commander
  • Star Commander
  • 703 posts
  • LocationDropping with the 2nd Jaguar Guard

Posted 04 November 2011 - 01:19 PM

View PostRuss Bullock, on 03 November 2011 - 06:27 PM, said:

Tough question for just Yes or No.

Both Yes and No for me and I wouldnt be exlusive to either given the choice. Love many pre clan mechs like the centurion but also love my summoner!

Finally a dev/boss man who loves my mech like I do *tears* I do love me some hot mech on mech, Summoner on top kicking serious tailfeather, action!

BTW...TO CLAN!

View PostTsen Shang, on 04 November 2011 - 01:17 PM, said:

In my experience, all clanners are either 15 year olds from modern warfare or THIS guy. Clans will unbalance the game permanently, given the number of people who want to play them.

Hey...I...AM...that guy. I am a Jaguar as well, even we did not like the actions of the commanding officer of the Sabre cat, thus he was recalled. But hey at least we taught the Yakuza not to eff with us, we got no more trouble with them on Turtle Bay. We quelled the other riots started by criminals and went on about the day...winning.

Edited by Amarus Cameron, 04 November 2011 - 01:21 PM.

#58 flessar

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Knight Errant
  • Knight Errant
  • 175 posts
  • LocationAlabama

Posted 04 November 2011 - 01:23 PM

If those who are playing Clan's cant/wont be held to their code's that dictate their version of warfare, there is absolutly no point in including them into the timeline. It was those very code's that allowed the IS to win the few victories they did early on and keep their morale from shattering completly in the opening year of the war. After the temporary truce to elect their new head Khan the clan's shifted their warfare away from the code's rigid nature some more then others but the code was still there.

Simply put, you want to play dirty, play in the IS.
You want honor and a code that ties both hands behind your back, with the hottest omni tech/weapons in existance, play clan. If you ignore their code, GTFO.

#59 Jaroth Corbett

• The Vicious
  • The Vicious
  • 2,252 posts
  • LocationSmoke Jaguar OZ

Posted 04 November 2011 - 01:29 PM

View PostTsen Shang, on 04 November 2011 - 01:17 PM, said:

I take this as a compliment.

#60 rollermint

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The 1 Percent
  • 418 posts

Posted 04 November 2011 - 01:30 PM

I'm a clanner at heart(started battletech with MW2) and I like their systems and way of life. Plus they have way way fearsome names...i mean Jade Falcons? Smoke Jaguars? Ghost Bears? Win.

But I also love fighting for the underdogs. So, I'm fighting for the IS.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users