So How Do You Make The Hunch4G Suck Less?

84 replies to this topic

#21 MischiefSC

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Benefactor
  • The Benefactor
  • 16,697 posts

Posted 23 February 2013 - 07:57 PM

AC20 and 3MLs is a cockpit popper. 35 points in good hands. It's two hits on the torso of any medium for a kill.

Don't treat your weapon loadout like a gimmick. Find what you're good at. Torso ballistics are far more reliable than arm mounted ones, ask any Cent pilot.

Don't get caught up with pulse lasers either. If you get a steady hand for a good torso ballistic and 3 MLs, load that dirty biznatch up with ammo and DHS and just stay back in the second line. Follow the charge and when your teams Atlas does the inevitable dance with the other teams Atlas (because they always will. Always.) go shoot the other atlas IN THE FRONT. NOT THE BACK.

Focus your fire in the same place as everyone else. Your teams atlas probably only has 3 or 4 tons of AC ammo if he's also got SRMs to feed. 3MLs for wracking up assists. Yes, that's right. Assists. Spray laser fire over every red arrow you find. If you finish a game with less than 5 or 6 assists it's because you don't like money and XP.

It's a solid mech. Just because it's got a bunch of shoulder hardpoints doesn't mean you need to use them.

#22 Biglead

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 1,102 posts
  • LocationManassas, Va

Posted 23 February 2013 - 08:02 PM

AC/20
Endo steel
DHS
3 Medium lasers
225 std engine (1 external DHS)
4 tons of ammo
2 points shy of Max armor

As long as you're not the first into a fight this setup will obliterate.

#23 p00k

• 1,661 posts

Posted 23 February 2013 - 08:07 PM

http://mechromancer....0,0,1,0,0,0,0,0

#24 Scraper

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 104 posts

Posted 23 February 2013 - 08:08 PM

I'm running STD 255 3x MLs and an LBX... I rarely run out of ammo and post between 400-800 DMG per match (usually to the lower side of that).

It's an excellent light hunter, and fast enough to destroy lone Assaults and extra fun against K2's and the like.

#25 WerewolfX

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 501 posts

Posted 23 February 2013 - 08:38 PM

I love my 4g and am surprised I see people endorsing it on here.

#26 Matroid

• PipPipPip
  • 86 posts

Posted 23 February 2013 - 08:54 PM

Hunchies have a disadvantage at speed right now due to engine limits, so use them for defense of your larger mechs and the base. Also, never use medium pulse lasers because the extra ton is too useful, it's better to run a medium laser and +1 heat sink instead. for my 4G, here are the two builds i have found useful

Option 1:
Engine: standard 200 (64.8 km/h)
Weapons: 3 ML, AC20 or Gauss (3 tons ammo)
Upgrades: Endo, DHS, AMS (1 ton ammo), ~13 heat sinks

Option 2:
Engine: standard 250 (81 km/h)
Weapons: 3 ML, 2 MG (1 ton ammo), AC10 or UAC5 (2-4 tons ammo)
Upgrades: Endo, DHS, ~13 heat sinks

the second build is faster but doesn't have AMS, so when you see "missiles incoming" you should hide. also, don't use the LBX-10 because it lacks the killing power of the AC10/Gauss/UAC5

cheers
Hadros

#27 Dremster

• PipPipPip
  • 71 posts
  • LocationSkye Federation

Posted 23 February 2013 - 08:54 PM

And if you aren't backing up your assaults and heavies then it's all about hit and run. Look at your target long enough to put an AC/20 slug in his face and then get to cover. Don't face brawl other mediums Centurions do that way better and the good ones will blow your shoulder off before you can core them. Also, if you have the ammo don't be afraid to fire your autocannon beyond 270m it will hit at almost a kilometer so around 500 you are still getting a decent punch.

#28 DragonsFire24SS

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 107 posts
  • Facebook: Link
  • LocationSan Antonio,TX

Posted 23 February 2013 - 09:26 PM

4G(F)
AC/20
3 med lasers
std 250
11 dbl heat sink
322 FF armor
endo steel

I did 3 drops tonight in this mech. First time dropping in it for a long time. All 3 matches I had 3 kills and 450-475 damage dealt, and I didn't die. I forgot how much fun it is to blast away with the AC20, especially the back side of an atlas. Or Ravens riunning straight lines or exposing their backside for that precious second.

#29 Eumenes

• PipPipPip
  • Bridesmaid
  • Bridesmaid
  • 77 posts
  • Locationof Cardia

Posted 24 February 2013 - 10:35 AM

View PostDremster, on 23 February 2013 - 08:54 PM, said:

And if you aren't backing up your assaults and heavies then it's all about hit and run. Look at your target long enough to put an AC/20 slug in his face and then get to cover. Don't face brawl other mediums Centurions do that way better and the good ones will blow your shoulder off before you can core them. Also, if you have the ammo don't be afraid to fire your autocannon beyond 270m it will hit at almost a kilometer so around 500 you are still getting a decent punch.

Exactly! The AC/20 makes big holes, and you don't need to hang around like an Ilya or CTF-4X chattering away with multiple light autocannons. The 4G was designed as an urban combatant, and fits well as the bodyguard for long range mechs. Play it like that and the mech works. Let someone else be the juggernaut that gets all of the attention.

#30 Adrian Steel

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 545 posts

Posted 24 February 2013 - 10:38 AM

The stock weapon loadout is viable. The pilot just has to suck less. There are people in the medium leaderboard in the tournament running near-stock weapon loadouts on the 4G.

#31 General Taskeen

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,737 posts
  • LocationCircinus

Posted 24 February 2013 - 10:51 AM

Some Mechs are inherently more challenging. My HBK-4G(F) uses 3 Medium Pulse and 1 AC/10. Works fine if guarding other Mechs.

#32 Andrew Porter

• PipPip
  • 41 posts

Posted 24 February 2013 - 11:28 AM

I pilot Hunchies exclusively, PUG exclusively. Overall I find the 4SP easiest to dish the damage in but the 4G (with AC/20) is my favourite.
OP, I know it has already been said but it cannot be stressed enough... trying to improve any hunchback with an XL engine is full durp. Don't do that. TBH, it crossed my mind that you suggested that as a poor attempt to troll, that is how awful it is as an idea. I would get rid of the UAC5, put back the AC/20, and then follow the advice others have given above - stick with the big guys and don't get caught out alone. The other advice I would give is only take shots you are happy will hit your intended target... an AC/20 can do awful things to team-mates when everything gets Charlie Foxtrot in a hot brawl, and your ammo is precious. A well configured 4G (which isn't much different to a stock 4G really) is a lot of fun, so get out there and enjoy it.

#33 Roughneck45

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Handsome Devil
  • The Handsome Devil
  • 4,452 posts
  • LocationOutreach

Posted 24 February 2013 - 11:34 AM

You really have to use a gauss or an AC20 on it.

You can try some speed, Large Lasers and machine guns, but other mechs do that better.

Edited by Roughneck45, 24 February 2013 - 11:35 AM.

#34 Spheroid

• Veteran Founder
  • Veteran Founder
  • 5,060 posts
  • LocationSouthern Wisconsin

Posted 24 February 2013 - 11:34 AM

The 4G is a fine mech. The AC-20 drops mechs quickly and is satisfying to use. You really don't need to be fast either, I still have the Std 200 in mine.

Protect the assaults they will appreciate it.

#35 Reported for Inappropriate Name

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 1,767 posts
  • LocationAmericlap

Posted 24 February 2013 - 12:13 PM

you don't. accept its weaknesses and support an assault. or better yet just drive an atlas.

Edited by Battlecruiser, 24 February 2013 - 12:13 PM.

#36 Midosa Kaze

• PipPipPip
  • 70 posts

Posted 24 February 2013 - 05:57 PM

AC/20 3 tons ammo
Std 250
3mlas.
DHS, ENDO
That's a solid mech, heat is fine and once you get used to the ac20 you'll bring in the kills.

#37 Aym

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 3,041 posts
  • LocationLos Angeles

Posted 24 February 2013 - 06:51 PM

View PostRayzor, on 23 February 2013 - 07:56 PM, said:

I use (for the most part) this build, it's brutal if you're smart with it.

DHS, and FF armor, Standard 200, 4 tons of ammo

Endo, Ferro, DHS, 250 Engine, 3Medium Lasers, 4tons ammo. Alternately take 3 tons ammo and add a heat sink.

#38 Davers

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 9,886 posts
  • Facebook: Link
  • LocationCanada

Posted 24 February 2013 - 06:57 PM

I run mine with 225 standard, AC/20 with 3 tons of ammo, 2 ML, SL in the head (really should upgrade that one day) and AMS, DHS, Endo. As long as you don't go all Rambo in it you can put out some really good damage. I save the AC/20 for back shots, and rely on my arm lasers for most of the work.

#39 Demoned

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 670 posts
  • Locationi Died went to heaven, then died again now I'm in Equestria

Posted 24 February 2013 - 07:05 PM

i think the most problems people have with the 4G is,
they drive the 4SP much and forget the good time they had in the 4G lol

yeah its a bit Meh, if not the most so in game atm :ph34r:
but with work it can play well also use mine with the
AC20 and 3 Med set up
still i don't do as well as i would in the 4SP, but damn having to work a bit harder,
really fun and pays off in the long run ;)

Edited by Demoned, 24 February 2013 - 07:05 PM.

#40 Mechafruit

• PipPip
  • The Mercenary
  • The Mercenary
  • 28 posts
  • LocationIllinois, United States

Posted 24 February 2013 - 07:22 PM

I don't really get why so many people think the 4G sucks. Yeah it can't dish out damage as quickly as a 4SP but it does however get precision. An AC/20 can not only do more damage beyond 270m(where SRMs do 0), it can also do all damage to a single area, rather than spread around. For me, 2 arm MLs, 1 head SL, and 1 AC/20 with 4 tons of ammo works great. Engine is a STD 250 with 10 DHS. Stick with your team, aim for unarmored limbs. Nothing feels better than dropping a mech with a well placed AC/20 shot.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users