So How Do You Make The Hunch4G Suck Less?

84 replies to this topic

#41 James Montana

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The 1 Percent
  • The 1 Percent
  • 295 posts
  • LocationAustin, Texas

Posted 24 February 2013 - 07:37 PM

Holy S**T Batman! I have a 4G(f) and I rock in that baby.Try hitting with your AC20, and use cover. If that doesn't work, well.... Drop the 20, and put in a 240 std. Then throw in a Gauss, redistribute some armor to cover your rear, and stay out 300 plus meters! If that doesn't work, well, turn in you badge.

#42 p00k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,661 posts

Posted 24 February 2013 - 07:50 PM

the 4G sucks because the only builds people use it for are better with the 4H

#43 Alex Wolfe

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,359 posts

Posted 24 February 2013 - 08:34 PM

View PostMischiefSC, on 23 February 2013 - 07:57 PM, said:

*wisdom*

Yeah. Pretty much what this person said.

Non-SP Hunchback is pretty much the only mech which currently deserves the name "glass cannon" - big firepower, big potential, but stuffed in a really obvious weak point on the shoulder. Despite descriptions on HBK in lore, it's not a true brawler. You need to find someone else to tank for you, think fast and aim well. You can't put something down in one hit like a raidboss 2.0. You can't lag/ECM/streak your way to victory like lolravens. You can't even facehug like Centbomb, and you most certainly cannot poptart. You need at least two alphas to put the hurt on anything (barring headshots), and can't afford taking return fire.

The mech is no easymode by any stretch, but it rewards with fun.

Posted Image

I use 4H btw, AC20+3t ammo, 3ml, std 250, endo, ferro, dubs, tiny bit of armor stripped.

Edited by Alex Wolfe, 24 February 2013 - 08:37 PM.

#44 exassin

• Pip
  • Bridesmaid
  • 14 posts

Posted 24 February 2013 - 10:03 PM

Well I did start a topic on the Hunchie 4G and got lots of info to it. The playstyle of the 4G would probably act as a vanguard for heavies and assaults but the best way would be to prepare to ambush targets that are to busy with your allies and make a run to a cover. Only move in for a sure kill.

If you can put in dual AC5, I suggest to put in AC 20 instead for a better pinpoint damage.

Well that is my opinion. XD

Btw I run it with a STD 250, AC20, 3ML, FF, and ES. STD 250 for the speed. 81 kph with AC20 is kinda fun. Bit like YLW.

Edited by exassin, 24 February 2013 - 10:08 PM.

#45 Grissnap

• PipPipPip
  • 73 posts

Posted 24 February 2013 - 10:30 PM

3 AC2, 3 ML, XL255.

I know it seems pretty insane to put an XL in a hunchback. But if you have an XL255 lying around, why not give it a shot? You might just like it.

Stay on the fringes, use your range and DPS to take out assaults.

#46 Ezazel

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 142 posts
  • LocationFinland

Posted 25 February 2013 - 12:28 AM

AC20 is the way to go. Sure you're going to waste some ballistic hard points but so what. Many D model Atlases do that too when they pick up an AC20 or Gauss.

#47 1985

• PipPip
  • Mercenary
  • 22 posts
  • LocationPalo Alto

Posted 25 February 2013 - 02:55 AM

Long-time 4G pilot here. I recently found a real build with the 4G (not possible on the 4H) -- but it is expensive to pull off due to the XL 260.

DHS
EndoSteel
260 XL Engine
3x Small Laser
UAC5, 4 tons of ammo
AC/2, 2 tons of ammo

I like to put 4 tons of ammo in the legs and 2 tons in the arms. It has really worked well for me.

the 3x small lasers are on my left mouse while the two autocannons are on my right.
This mech has incredible sustained damage if the situation is right.

Edited by 1985, 25 February 2013 - 03:17 AM.

#48 MegaBusta

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • 152 posts

Posted 25 February 2013 - 06:45 AM

Like a lot have said, I run the 4G pretty close to stock. Swap the head small for a medium laser, Endo, FF, DHS, use the weight savings to put in a standard 250+ (you can get more if you're willing to strip armor).

Yes, the 4H can do the same build, but founder's blah blah blah. It's still a viable build on both, so it comes down to preference more than anything else.

Something else I'm toying with is swapping the AC/20 for a 10, and using the free tonnage on a pair of machine guns. I doubt it's worth losing the huge hole puncher AC/20, but I'm experimenting.

#49 Statixstorm

• PipPip
  • The Blazing
  • The Blazing
  • 48 posts

Posted 25 February 2013 - 12:10 PM

Currently rocking my 4G with 2 ERPPC in the arms (ugh so low down) a ML in the head in case I get zombied and for sheer ***** and giggles I packed 3 MGs with 2t of ammo into the hunch.
The damage on the MG still sucks, but I noticed something when using them, people seem to ignore that I have the ERPPCs letting me get good hits on them, in addition, people just don't like it when you spray them down with bullets, I've chase many a mech away with them.

#50 Balder

• Pip
  • 12 posts

Posted 25 February 2013 - 01:28 PM

View PostStatixstorm, on 25 February 2013 - 12:10 PM, said:

Currently rocking my 4G with 2 ERPPC in the arms (ugh so low down) a ML in the head in case I get zombied and for sheer ***** and giggles I packed 3 MGs with 2t of ammo into the hunch.
The damage on the MG still sucks, but I noticed something when using them, people seem to ignore that I have the ERPPCs letting me get good hits on them, in addition, people just don't like it when you spray them down with bullets, I've chase many a mech away with them.

I actually did the same thing to my 4g today. The recent buff to crit rates on MGs is actually pretty useful. Stay close to your team, blast them with ERPPCs, and unload the 3 MGs when someone gets close or is low on armor. They can chew through a damaged torso. It's a fun build but I haven't don't enough with it yet to see if it is really that useful.

#51 Orzorn

• 3,327 posts
  • LocationComanche, Texas

Posted 25 February 2013 - 01:33 PM

View PostVermaxx, on 23 February 2013 - 07:25 PM, said:

It's only a bodyguard when you have someone worth guarding more impressive than 'the guy in the founder,' or 'that guy from the forums.'

I took the cannon out of the 4G. The 4G is clearly not a "main gun is a cannon" mech because it has three ballistic slots - the 4H is the mech if you want to carry one cannon. Even then, it has five backup energy points.

The 4G is a really bad hardpoint setup with the MGs being nothing but worthless filler. Even three AC2 is a bad idea with the weight, so you can really only do so much with three energy and one decent or two terrible cannons.

As it stands, I like having the added speed from a 250 engine, at least then I don't get swamped instantly by scouts and Centurions.

I like the Trollback though...

The "Double dakka" that one of my corp mates made is pretty fearsome. UAC/5, AC/5, 2 mlas, and a huge honkin engine to run 80 kp/h or something like that with. We ran it in several 8 mans and it worked very well as a wingman, because he just totally oblitterated his targets.

As for me, I used 3 MLAs and an AC/20. Sure, the 4H can pull off the same build, it my 4G has the founders bonus! :)

Maybe if machine guns get any more buffs those 2 other ballistic points will become more useful.

#52 Mazzyplz

• Ace Of Spades
  • 3,292 posts

Posted 26 February 2013 - 01:22 AM

i don't know, i never piloted a hunchback or even a medium in my life;
but i would definitely use 2xuac5. it's what gives me the most problems in a match usually, how quickly 2 of these fire, and shake your cockpit is a scary mother:

http://mwo.smurfy-ne...2a166ff0fb68ae0

with erppc and those 2 you could have amazing range, couldn't fit AMS though..

it also works close range of course... and maybe put the UAC5 on chain fire when grouped

someone posted this video in another thread:

2xuac5 in action, scary indeed.

Edited by Mazzyplz, 26 February 2013 - 01:35 AM.

#53 Benyamin

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Giant Helper
  • Giant Helper
  • 169 posts
  • LocationWarner Robins, Georgia

Posted 26 February 2013 - 08:02 AM

I use the 2 UAC/5 setup with 2 MLAS.

I enjoy it, the DAKKA is fun to me.

It also can dish out some brutal damage and get several kills.
The drawback though is that it is a high risk high reward build.
Sometimes, you can ran a steady burst of fire into that atlas,
and other times, you jam every time you try to double tap.

#54 Fut

• Moderate Giver
  • 1,969 posts
  • LocationToronto, ON

Posted 27 February 2013 - 08:45 AM

View PostMegaBusta, on 25 February 2013 - 06:45 AM, said:

Something else I'm toying with is swapping the AC/20 for a 10, and using the free tonnage on a pair of machine guns. I doubt it's worth losing the huge hole puncher AC/20, but I'm experimenting.

Kudos to you, for not being afraid to experiment while this game is still in "Beta".
Seems like too many people are focused on having the best 'Mech possible right now, rather than testing things out and discussing the results.

I've just started using an HBK-4G last night, it's definitely taking a bit of adjustment over my 4J and even my 4SP, but it's been fun so far. There's just something amazing about lining up a difficult shot, then landing it perfectly - especially while you're packing the stock AC20. My first kill with this 'Mech will never be forgotten.

I'm planning on trying out a build with an AC20, and 2 Machine Guns soon.
Really hoping that the latest buffs to the MG make it useful, as the idea of punching a hole in somebody's armor with the AC20, then applying a healthy dose of MG spray, is quite appealing to me. If the Devs did their job right, it should work fairly well.

View PostStatixstorm, on 25 February 2013 - 12:10 PM, said:

Here's hoping that the same rings true for an AC20/MG build!

#55 Lord Psycho

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Overlord
  • 177 posts

Posted 27 February 2013 - 10:02 AM

View PostFut, on 27 February 2013 - 08:45 AM, said:

Kudos to you, for not being afraid to experiment while this game is still in "Beta".
Seems like too many people are focused on having the best 'Mech possible right now, rather than testing things out and discussing the results.

I've just started using an HBK-4G last night, it's definitely taking a bit of adjustment over my 4J and even my 4SP, but it's been fun so far. There's just something amazing about lining up a difficult shot, then landing it perfectly - especially while you're packing the stock AC20. My first kill with this 'Mech will never be forgotten.

I'm planning on trying out a build with an AC20, and 2 Machine Guns soon.
Really hoping that the latest buffs to the MG make it useful, as the idea of punching a hole in somebody's armor with the AC20, then applying a healthy dose of MG spray, is quite appealing to me. If the Devs did their job right, it should work fairly well.

Here's hoping that the same rings true for an AC20/MG build!

I actually runan ac20 and two MG build..it's fabulous..people still ignore me.. :P

#56 BertyBargo

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Lucky Seven
  • Lucky Seven
  • 175 posts
  • LocationBurgerland

Posted 27 February 2013 - 10:23 AM

View PostLord Psycho, on 27 February 2013 - 10:02 AM, said:

I actually runan ac20 and two MG build..it's fabulous..people still ignore me.. :P

Oh nice I do too

http://mwo.smurfy-ne...30b42b5170b2403

1 3xmedlas
2 ac20
3 2xmguns

I like to wait for the fighting to start and then once everyone is distracted, I rush in and start critting everyone with my mguns and generally use my medlas and ac20 to hit peoples backs so I can blow out their torso stuff.

Nothing makes me smile wider than removing a zombie cent's center lasers and have him uselessly run around

Edited by BertyBargo, 27 February 2013 - 10:52 AM.

#57 Jerod Drekmor

• PipPipPip
  • Bridesmaid
  • 80 posts
  • LocationWest side of Iron Curtain

Posted 27 February 2013 - 10:30 AM

I had run 4G with triple ac/2 and as long as you group-shoot them is ok-ish but to do some dmg you have to put long steady stream of fire while moving ect....its hard(for me) and If you cycle those 3 ac/2 on something they will focus on you no mater how many other mechs will stand before them, for some reason they are exelent tanking weapon.

Now I use dual uac/5 and It has its moments but quite often it jam after first two shoots and you take beating with no return fire.

Edited by Jerod Drekmor, 27 February 2013 - 10:35 AM.

#58 Flapdrol

• The 1 Percent
  • The 1 Percent
  • 1,986 posts

Posted 27 February 2013 - 10:35 AM

I'd go for 2x ac2 with the 4G. should get you good dps, find big slow targets at range.

#59 Buzzsaw Bob

• Pip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 11 posts

Posted 28 June 2013 - 04:20 AM

I cut my teeth on the Hunchbacks as the first mech that I bought and mastered ALL of them (Just because) one fun build that a few of us tried was the double-barrel shotgun variant. We stuffed two LB-10 X autocannons in the hunch and some lasers and junk in the rest of the hardpoints, it was pretty fun with four of us whamming out the buckshot.
But I now run my 4G pretty close to stock and have had some great matches, when we run a four-man group that consists of an Atlas DDC and three hunchback 4Gs, we straight-up ruin enemy teams. the trick is co-ordination, keeping your hunch intact, and masterful application of your face-laser.

#60 PhoenixFire55

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 5,725 posts
  • LocationSt.Petersburg / Outreach

Posted 28 June 2013 - 04:38 AM

I've played Huncbacks with AC20, AC10, bunch of MLs, SRMs, SSRMs. They are all effective. You need to be smart tho, stay with your big guys, engage when they do and shoot what they shoot. You are not fast enough to chase lights, you do however have enough armor and firepower to hurt and kill them if they decide to 1 on 1 you. Most important thing ... in current PPC-warrior online DON'T take pop-shots. If you gonna do that all you gonna get is your hunch (at best) or your head (at worst) blown off.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users