So How Do You Make The Hunch4G Suck Less?

84 replies to this topic

#61 olpOmat3000

• Pip
  • Philanthropist
  • Philanthropist
  • 15 posts

Posted 01 July 2013 - 09:50 AM

My 4G so ROCKS!
I call it 'The Critter'...

Figured this out parallel to the guys here:
AC/20 + 2x MG
2x mls
TAG
10x DHS
Std 230 (at 80something kp/h tweaked)

It's a reliable Mech-dropper.
Pop up - smash - haul a** in early game.
Go berserk with a buddy in late game - about two or three blasts peel off the armour of an already hurt Mech and the rest is done by the double-MGs and double-lasers.

Cheers

#62 capt hungry

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 335 posts
  • LocationGallifrey

Posted 05 July 2013 - 08:32 AM

Are you fitting the MGs in the head, or is there room in the right shoulder? Been thinking about changing up my founders Hunchie.

#63 slayerkdm

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 395 posts

Posted 05 July 2013 - 10:50 AM

All G ballistics are in the Hunch. So he is mounting them in Hunch.

#64 Felicitatem Parco

Professor of Memetics

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 13,522 posts
  • LocationIs Being Obscured By ECM

Posted 05 July 2013 - 10:55 AM

I like to troll with triple AC/5 & a standard 155 or 170... and hang with a Jager or Cataphract.. or something else with Ballistics to mask your presence a little.

People don't really figure that those little shots you're firing from that hunch every 1.5 seconds are equal to Gauss Slugs.

#65 slayerkdm

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 395 posts

Posted 09 July 2013 - 05:27 PM

I have been running my original build I used when I first got my HBK G when I started the game these last days. 3MPLAS/3MG. It has been very solid, putting up better numbers than my standard AC20 build. Rather fun style to, as you really have to constantly remain on target.

#66 Hellcat420

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • 1,519 posts

Posted 09 July 2013 - 05:43 PM

2 med lasers ac20. rest of freespace/weight goes to engine/heatsinks.

#67 arghmace

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 845 posts
  • LocationFinland

Posted 13 July 2013 - 01:11 PM

I run my 4G(F) the usual style:
http://mwo.smurfy-ne...6f1acc0d2b51ab6

It doesn't get any better than that imo. Just follow the assaults and when they engage, bring that respectable firepower to help them out. Works well in 4 man groups with everyone having the same build, btw. Stay together and that's 140 dmg alpha moving at 90km/h. Don't peek a boo, pick a target a roll over it with the four of you.

#68 Jyi

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 263 posts

Posted 16 July 2013 - 06:17 AM

http://mwo.smurfy-ne...2ea19d9a6c4dc04

This is my Hunchback. There are no others like it, and this one is mine.

You don't think you can make a zombie out of a Hunchie 4G? Try it. You could call it Mr. Crabtastic or something along those lines. Why? Because the whole idea of this mech is to walk "sideways" (as in with your left torso towards the enemy) as much as possible. It is built around the same idea as the Centurion with its shield arm, but in this case you can simply use the whole left side as shield and all you will lose is.. nothing.

You might have some questions, such as:

Why only 2 medium lasers? Well, because I'm using my left side as shield, that laser will usually be one of the first things to go. I'd rather have more ammo for my AC20 - after all, that hunking gun's what Hunchback is supposed to bring to the field.

Why only engine 245 instead of 250? Because you gain 1,5 tons and the difference in speed is 1,8 kph with tweak. I have maxed armor and more ammo. And the heat effciency is 1,52, so no reason to put in any more heat sinks.

Wow, does it really have both Endo-Steel AND Ferro-Fibrous? Yep, and it uses every slot. Pretty efficient, eh?

What's up with the wonky armor distribution? Well, unless the hitboxes are completely different from what they look like in mechlab (and in my experience, they aren't), the rear right torso is extremely small and hitting the gun portion from behind will still damage the front-side. On other hand, the barrel on the left torso is counted as rear even if hit from the side or front. Also, it doesn't matter that much if the front left torso is slightly less armored, as if shot from the left side (assuming the left arm absorbs some hits), there's still almost as much armor and internals to chew through as a heavy mech's CT.

This mech does have the same weakness all 4G's have: the huge gun on your right shoulder. But now you have a more efficient way to guard that gun, and believe me, even though it CAN be hit from left side, it's not easy for anyone but the best pilots. Especially if you go around dodging and weaving and play strategically.

#69 oldradagast

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Philanthropist
  • 4,833 posts

Posted 16 July 2013 - 08:05 AM

Lots of good ideas here.

I've just started running the Classic Hunchback: Standard 250, Endo, Ferro, Double HS, AC 20 with 3 tons of ammo, and 3 medium lasers. If played right, it's a wrecking machine.

You're not the first one to the front. You are not there to get attention. You are the AC20 in the Atlas's back. You're the sweeper that makes wounded enemy mechs disappear. You're the guy who thrives in the crazy melee of a brawl. And you make LRM boats weep once you're under their guns since you're fast and hit hard.

It's not an easy role, but I'm loving the Hunchback now that I understand what I'm supposed to do and how the mech is supposed to be run - as a fast, huge gun.

#70 Cerulean Knight

• PipPipPip
  • Guardian
  • Guardian
  • 89 posts
  • LocationWisconsin

Posted 16 July 2013 - 08:43 AM

I love my Founders Hunchback. I have been using the following configuration ever since last December. Fire control and keeping with others is key (oldradagast is pretty much correct), but once you can unleash those autocannons on an enemy, it will go down quickly. The trick is, though, in making sure you are not the target. At least, not until the end of the match.

Edit: well, that didn't work, so here.

Weapons
1 UAC/5 (ammo in both legs and one in right arm)
1 AC/2 (ammo in both legs)
3 Medium Laser

210 engine
Endo-Steel
Double Heatsinks (place the two DHS in the right torso to help with crit protection on the ACs)

Edited by Cerulean Knight, 16 July 2013 - 08:48 AM.

#71 Modo44

• Bad Company
  • 3,559 posts

Posted 16 July 2013 - 09:59 AM

View PostJyi, on 16 July 2013 - 06:17 AM, said:

Why only engine 245 instead of 250? Because you gain 1,5 tons and the difference in speed is 1,8 kph with tweak.

No, you gain half a ton, because you are required to put the one heatsink back in. And it is a 1.4 heatsink instead of a 2.0 heatsink you would have in the engine. Hardly a bargain for half a ton. Better take the leg armor down to 32, up the engine, and put another laser in there. You can go even further for AMS or another ton of ammo. Before I sold my 4G, I used this AC20 setup.

BTW, every Hunchie can do double pepsi. Even ERs fit with modestly good heat and a 250 engine. Arm mounted "ballistics" kick arse.

Edited by Modo44, 16 July 2013 - 10:05 AM.

#72 Inflatable Fish

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Rage
  • Rage
  • 563 posts

Posted 16 July 2013 - 10:30 AM

in my opinion, the 4G is the ultimate skill tester. there's precious little variety to be had regarding possible builds, and amazingly enough the stock setup (after necessary optimisation such as DHS, endo and FF) is the best one.

given that, the 4G is a real beast in the hands of an experienced pilot - but a very unforgiving one. a single tactical mistake will cost you your hunch, and the very limited amount of AC ammo demands that you make every shot count.

personally, I am a 4G pilot for life; it took long hours to get to know it and to love it, and now it's the one mech in the whole game I feel 100% comfortable with.

so, to address the OP, I disagree that the 4G sucks in the first place. it's an amazing mech with a steep learning curve, that is all.

to encourage folks to show the hunchbro their love, here's a taste of what you can do in a 4G:

Posted Image

(my setup, by the way: AC/20, 3x ML, STD 250, FF, endo, 3 tons of ammo, some armour taken away from the legs.)

Edited by Inflatable Fish, 16 July 2013 - 10:33 AM.

#73 Allied

• PipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 69 posts
  • LocationVermont, USA

Posted 19 July 2013 - 07:46 AM

View PostFiveDigits, on 23 February 2013 - 07:03 PM, said:

That's close to what I run with my 4G. I do 2x LLAS + 3x Machine Guns (1-2 tons ammo). The Large Laser lets me engage at range, and start working on removing some armor. Once the armor is gone the 3 machine guns tear up those internals.

I'll have to try the flamer with my machine guns. Interesting idea.
http://mwo.smurfy-ne...1ebf206afdc3001

#74 Chameleon257

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • The Money Maker
  • The Money Maker
  • 171 posts

Posted 19 July 2013 - 09:58 AM

http://mechromancer....1,0,1,0,0,0,0,0

I use this build to basically be the little dog that hangs around the big dawgs picking apart armor that is already weak. I have another hunchback for the run and gun play. If I'm in the G I'm resigning myself to be support for the big guys.

#75 Lugh

• The Widow Maker
  • The Widow Maker
  • 3,910 posts

Posted 19 July 2013 - 10:06 AM

View PostArmandTulsen, on 23 February 2013 - 07:19 PM, said:

EXACTLY! Who's going to target the lowly Hunchback when there's an Atlas right beside him raining down hell on you?

Me Because that Hunchback will disappear a lot faster and Halve the damage incoming to me...

#76 Elizander

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 7,540 posts
  • LocationPhilippines

Posted 21 July 2013 - 04:36 AM

The 4G is a canon on legs. Do it.

4G 1xAC/20 2xML 1xSL 84.24kph 3xAC/20 Ammo (AC20, max speed, 2 mediums and 1 small, standard engine)

#77 Gremlich Johns

• The 1 Percent
  • The 1 Percent
  • 3,855 posts
  • LocationMaryland, USA

Posted 22 July 2013 - 02:27 PM

Here's mine: AC20, 3xMLas 800 pts damage - most in the match for either side. Sadly, my side lost

Posted ImageUploaded with ImageShack.com

#78 Typatty

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Veteran Founder
  • Veteran Founder
  • 138 posts

Posted 22 July 2013 - 02:32 PM

Large laser in each arm, Gauss Rifle in the hunch.

#79 mack sabbath

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The God
  • The God
  • 1,073 posts
  • Twitch: Link
  • LocationUSA

Posted 22 July 2013 - 02:35 PM

http://mwo.smurfy-ne...b0b9649291f3842

#80 MadSavage

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bridesmaid
  • 241 posts
  • LocationUSA

Posted 22 July 2013 - 02:38 PM

View PostJohnoBurr, on 23 February 2013 - 07:01 PM, said:

AC20.

http://mwo.smurfy-ne...24a62bf64807403

Something like that.

One uppin ya

http://mwo.smurfy-ne...bfd112cf2e6f223

**** that guy above beat me too it!

Edited by MadSavage, 22 July 2013 - 02:38 PM.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users