419 replies to this topic

#81 Cferre

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • 290 posts
  • LocationNetherlands

Posted 24 February 2013 - 06:17 PM

View PostDemona, on 24 February 2013 - 06:14 PM, said:

Who cares? Put on your big boy pants and deal with some hoser who's shooting you in a video game.

Wtf are you talking about.

#82 Davers

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 9,886 posts
  • Facebook: Link
  • LocationCanada

Posted 24 February 2013 - 06:19 PM

View PostCferre, on 24 February 2013 - 06:17 PM, said:

Wtf are you talking about.

Demona is saying that being killed by a team mate in a game isn't a big deal, so no one should complain about it. Unless you are a stat ***** of course. ;)

#83 Carrioncrows

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Rage
  • Rage
  • 2,949 posts

Posted 24 February 2013 - 06:20 PM

View PostLubalin, on 24 February 2013 - 04:24 PM, said:

I see players using racial slurs and slurs against sexual orientation regularly.

If you do use such words, you're on notice. I screenshot and report it every time.

However, I still see the same players in game later. I'm starting to notice a trend. The policy on this needs to be made more clear to players, and we need better reporting, chat filtering, and blocking tools in-game.

I've voiced concerns about imbalances, and that's one thing. But if the company that manages this game refuses to police this, I will quit. And I will send screenshots to every major gaming site I can find with hopes they'll pick up the story.

I'm not posting them here because I don't want to name and shame.

Something needs to be done about this. We as a community need to band together against this. It's disgusting.

Don't Pilot a Raven-3L with streaks then. I'm guilty of this big time, I will peel the wallpaper off the wall if I die to a 3L with streaks. Is it overboard? Yes, it's it warranted yes but shouldn't be directed to the player for abusing broken mechanics. But at the end of the day it's just venting frustration.

In all seriousness, most people are just venting online from having a bad day, others are lost in their own world and some just enjoy spreading misery. The match ends every 15 mins if not sooner.

I doubt it's personal.

Continue on, you'll go your way, they will go their way.

Edited by Carrioncrows, 24 February 2013 - 06:31 PM.

#84 Atlas3060

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Big Brother
  • Big Brother
  • 661 posts
  • LocationFederated Suns

Posted 24 February 2013 - 06:20 PM

Even though the internet is full of jerks and a-holes companies do take this stuff seriously if it voilates their policies and terms.
That little text in the signup of a game isn't there just to bore you after all. ;)
For those that are offended, just report it as best possible.
For those not offended just skip this post because it doesn't affect you.

Though I will admit its worth a giggle that people scream about Team killing like someone hurt them personally and yet brush off hate speech, rude language that violates terms, etc.

The players of this game, for better or worse, are the face of this game. We are the advertisement.
It doesn't serve PGI well to have new or even returning players come in and be attacked verbally/textually in a way that could get PGi in trouble.

#85 DJMarine

• PipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 99 posts

Posted 24 February 2013 - 06:21 PM

View PostKalen Hickman, on 24 February 2013 - 04:28 PM, said:

You seem like that "one guy" who couldn't finish Monty Python and the Holy Grail because it offended you on a spiritual level.
I'm sure a chat filter will be implemented for the care bears.

IMO, nothing wrong with using bad language as long as it's not directed towards anyone. But racial slurs, why make people feel unwelcomed or express such hate? It's unnecessary we're all adults here.

#86 Royalewithcheese

• 2,342 posts

Posted 24 February 2013 - 06:23 PM

Idea: instead of a wordfilter, people who use slurs can be team-killed without penalty.

(But seriously, don't use slurs. This game has an unusually friendly community and I would love it to stay that way. If you get that angry over a game about giant robots, please do everyone a favor and go back to sending people angry messages on Call of Duty.)

Edited by Royalewithcheese, 24 February 2013 - 06:27 PM.

#87 Joanna Conners

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Merciless
  • The Merciless
  • 1,206 posts
  • LocationEn Route to Terra

Posted 24 February 2013 - 06:24 PM

View PostRoyalewithcheese, on 24 February 2013 - 06:23 PM, said:

Idea: instead of a wordfilter, people who use slurs can be team-killed without penalty.

We're missing a royal opportunity here with the bronies, I'm telling you. ;)

#88 Cferre

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • 290 posts
  • LocationNetherlands

Posted 24 February 2013 - 06:26 PM

View PostDavers, on 24 February 2013 - 06:19 PM, said:

Demona is saying that being killed by a team mate in a game isn't a big deal, so no one should complain about it. Unless you are a stat ***** of course. ;)

I was saying that team killing effects the game a lot more than some silly insults. I have no idea why Demona brought up a completely different subject.

#89 Mick Mars

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Survivor
  • Survivor
  • 165 posts
  • LocationSavannah, GA area

Posted 24 February 2013 - 06:27 PM

People like the op can screw up a wet dream. Whining and crying about a few words in a chat box on a video game. PATHETIC.

Stop being such a girlyman and grow a pair. Stupid elves.

#90 Joanna Conners

• The Merciless
  • The Merciless
  • 1,206 posts

Posted 24 February 2013 - 06:27 PM

View PostCferre, on 24 February 2013 - 06:26 PM, said:

I was saying that team killing effects the game a lot more than some silly insults. I have no idea why Demona brought up a completely different subject.

Cferre, maybe it's because English isn't your primary language, so I'll cut you some slack, but I'm not bringing up a different subject. I'm discussing the one you brought up. ;)

#91 Atlas3060

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Big Brother
  • Big Brother
  • 661 posts
  • LocationFederated Suns

Posted 24 February 2013 - 06:29 PM

View PostMick Mars, on 24 February 2013 - 06:27 PM, said:

Is the signature supposed to be ironic? ;)

#92 Mick Mars

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Survivor
  • Survivor
  • 165 posts
  • LocationSavannah, GA area

Posted 24 February 2013 - 06:30 PM

View PostAtlas3060, on 24 February 2013 - 06:29 PM, said:

Is the signature supposed to be ironic? ;)

No, I just agree with it. This isn't the thread for my views on the great zombie in the sky

#93 xxREVxx

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Vicious
  • The Vicious
  • 430 posts

Posted 24 February 2013 - 06:32 PM

View PostKiiyor, on 24 February 2013 - 06:15 PM, said:

I'm all for a little smack talk, foul-language and uncouth behavior, but as far as "Its just words" goes, i'll have to politely disagree. That particular phrase has been a catch-cry and crutch for bullies since age immaterial, and it's not an excuse for abusive behavior and personal attacks, which can be highly destructive and devastating to people who don't have the thick skins that say you or I have developed.

I'm not bothered by it, and from the tone of your post I would say that you aren't either, and that's fine.

Against someone who is already depressed or unstable however, well. I've seen firsthand the damage abuse that you or I would deem innocent can do.

dude, you had to go there....and yes there are those who haven't developed strong social skills and I'm sure alot of us here would feel sorry for someone like that but online gaming is NOT, I say again, is NOT the place for someone requiring emotional support. My God! (bet that just offended someone) How far are we going to go with this not trying to offend everyone in society bullsh!t....and I'll let ya's in on a little secret, ;) it can't be done.

#94 Cferre

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • 290 posts
  • LocationNetherlands

Posted 24 February 2013 - 06:32 PM

View PostDemona, on 24 February 2013 - 06:27 PM, said:

Cferre, maybe it's because English isn't your primary language, so I'll cut you some slack, but I'm not bringing up a different subject. I'm discussing the one you brought up. ;)

Who cares? Put on your big boy pants and deal with some hoser who's shooting you in a video game.

I was talking about the impact of one issue compared to the other. Not about ''how to deal with something''.

Man, i feel like i'm getting mindfucked or something lol.

Edited by Cferre, 24 February 2013 - 06:33 PM.

#95 Bhael Fire

Banned - Cheating

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 4,002 posts
  • Twitter: Link
  • Twitch: Link
  • LocationThe Outback wastes of planet Outreach.

Posted 24 February 2013 - 06:33 PM

View PostAtlas3060, on 24 February 2013 - 06:20 PM, said:

Though I will admit its worth a giggle that people scream about Team killing like someone hurt them personally and yet brush off hate speech, rude language that violates terms, etc.

Well, team killing actually does affect players on a personal level; it prevents them from playing the game...a game that many players paid money and time for. That's a very tangible effect.

Name calling and foul language can not prevent players from physically playing the game. It's annoying, but it does not prevent players from playing.

So...one is demonstrably worse than the other.

#96 Joanna Conners

• The Merciless
  • The Merciless
  • 1,206 posts

Posted 24 February 2013 - 06:34 PM

View PostCferre, on 24 February 2013 - 06:32 PM, said:

I was talking about the impact of one issue compared to the other. Not about ''how to deal with something''.

Man, i feel like i'm getting mindfucked or something lol.

And I responded to you. You just didn't understand what I was saying.

#97 Nathan Bloodguard

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Knight Errant
  • Knight Errant
  • 165 posts

Posted 24 February 2013 - 06:35 PM

View PostKousagi, on 24 February 2013 - 05:49 PM, said:

All I have to say is.. Wow... Ya know OP, people like you are the ones the further the use of slurs then anyone else. Plus who care what people say? Its just words, I mean even little children are taught this, when did you forget it?

Please get off your high horse.

I would like you to know that sticks and stones crap is just that, crap. Its not true and words can hurt more than any physical attack you could ever do. I know of someone who committed suicide because of the bullying that they were supposed to ignore and couldn't hurt you. It's all over the news and there is no reason why any of us should just roll over and take anyone's abuse, even over the internet! Put up and deal with it, or put on your man pants (or like term of grow up) is not dealing with it. All that is doing is supporting those who are not acting like an adult and the name calling bullies. So how about this, instead of supporting bullying, why don't you help fight it and defend those that are not able to defend themselves? Lets just end this here and now and not let it grow for future rot? This should not be tolerated ever. PERIOD END OF STORY.

#98 DegeneratePervert

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 790 posts
  • LocationKansas

First time on the internet, bro?

#99 xxREVxx

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Vicious
  • The Vicious
  • 430 posts

View PostMick Mars, on 24 February 2013 - 06:27 PM, said:

People like the op can screw up a wet dream. Whining and crying about a few words in a chat box on a video game. PATHETIC.

HEY! MY GRANDMOTHER WAS HALF-ELF!! DEVS!!!!
;)

#100 Atlas3060

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Big Brother
  • Big Brother
  • 661 posts
  • LocationFederated Suns

View PostBhael Fire, on 24 February 2013 - 06:33 PM, said:

Well, team killing actually does affect players on a personal level; it prevents them from playing the game...a game that many players paid money and time for. That's a very tangible effect.

Name calling and foul language can not prevent players from physically playing the game. It's annoying, but it does not prevent players from playing.

So...one is demonstrably worse than the other.

Both are frowned upon by the higher ups. Both can be seen as griefing.
Both can also be worked on by the playerbase by not being dicks.

To give perspective on my viewpoint for this: I let stuff like that run down my back.
If someone has enough time to craft out some crappy attempt at insults in game they aren't putting that time shooting.
In fact most of the time I bet its usually a dead player. That shows where their skills are. ;)
My main reason for this stance is because I've seen games go from fun to jackbooted non fun things all in the name of legality. Then people get upset over the enviroment without realising that it is partially their fault.

Edited by Atlas3060, 24 February 2013 - 06:39 PM.

20 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 20 guests, 0 anonymous users