Players Or Traitors Who Reveal Other Team Member Position In Game.

124 replies to this topic

#41 K1ng Ghidorah

• Pip
  • 12 posts

Posted 24 February 2013 - 09:28 PM

View PostOuttaAmmo NoWai, on 24 February 2013 - 08:56 PM, said:

If our last man is a D/C or an AFK - I'm giving away his position.
If he's an ***** who's alpha striking out of effective range - I'm giving away his position.
If he runs into buildings and can't hit mechs with a medium laser - I'm giving away his position.
If the entire team is dead and he doesn't have a scratch on him - You'd best believe I'm giving away his position.

^This.

#42 p00k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,661 posts

Posted 24 February 2013 - 09:29 PM

View PostSuper Mono, on 24 February 2013 - 09:25 PM, said:

You are screwing your team over. They're denied the option to see the end-of-round screen to see their score and compare it to others in the game, through in action that is only of benefit to you.

i'm a fairly casual player, but between the ~3800 drops in closed beta and ~2400 in open, i've seen plenty of end-of-round screens. take my word for it, it's really not as life-changing an experience as you seem to think

you also seem to believe that we enjoy watching the last ***** on our team running around stupidly or powering down in the corner of the map. i know i don't. but giving away their position because of your own petty sense of internet gaming righteousness and vengeance is against the code of conduct. plain and simple. you can argue til your face is blue that you're morally justified to do so, but the rules are the rules.

View PostSuper Mono, on 24 February 2013 - 09:27 PM, said:

So 15 people just have to sit there while 1 person ties up everyone's time and server resources?

yes.

until pgi says "ok we've decided it's ok to report teammates' positions to the enemy if they're bad players"

Edited by p00k, 24 February 2013 - 09:31 PM.

#43 Commander Kobold

• The Territorial
  • 1,428 posts
  • LocationCanada

Posted 24 February 2013 - 09:33 PM

View PostSuper Mono, on 24 February 2013 - 09:25 PM, said:

You are screwing your team over. They're denied the option to see the end-of-round screen to see their score and compare it to others in the game, through in action that is only of benefit to you.

if that little score screen is so important to you , you can just sit and wait if not jump out you can probably already be reported for admitting to griefing anyway.

#44 NeonKnight

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Patron Saint
  • The Patron Saint
  • 567 posts
  • LocationSurrey, BC, Canada

Posted 24 February 2013 - 09:34 PM

If he's an ***** who's alpha striking out of effective range - I'm giving away his position.
If he runs into buildings and can't hit mechs with a medium laser - I'm giving away his position.
If the entire team is dead and he doesn't have a scratch on him - You'd best believe I'm giving away his position.

Darn Tooting.

If you are the last player and doing your best to try and win, stay alive etc...I will not 'betray you'

But if you are the last player, went AFK, or DC'd at start of match etc....then I will most assuredly betray you, to end the match, because I can;t get my mech until the game is over.

#45 Commander Kobold

• The Territorial
  • 1,428 posts
  • LocationCanada

Posted 24 February 2013 - 09:35 PM

View Postdarkkterror, on 24 February 2013 - 09:28 PM, said:

My Mech is forced to sit there and watch. I wouldn't care at all about the people that seem to enjoy running around for 10 minutes if my Mech was released when I left.

there's nothing you can do about that (by nothing I mean nothing that can't get you reported <and in the odd chance they ban your account you'll have to go through all that grinding again>)

#46 Jman5

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Littlest Helper
  • Littlest Helper
  • 4,914 posts

Posted 24 February 2013 - 09:35 PM

If you are clearly hiding to preserve your precious k/d ratio I have zero problem with someone giving your position away. I hate people who stat pad.

#47 Larth

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 193 posts
  • LocationNorth Carolina

Posted 24 February 2013 - 09:39 PM

D/C's and AFK's I'll report their position. Anything else is situational. I'd rather the poor newb get attacked by one, at least then he might learn something. Where if he gets mobbed...

#48 Pihb

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 489 posts

Posted 24 February 2013 - 09:39 PM

If my team is planning a base rush just for fast wins, I will rat them out every time. You prolonging the inevitable with your stupid antics, it's cute, but I won't rat you out. All your talk of honor in a video game is hilarious though.

Edited by Pihb, 24 February 2013 - 09:41 PM.

#49 Owlfeathers

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 182 posts
  • LocationTerra, Sol System, Milky Way Galaxy

Posted 24 February 2013 - 09:45 PM

I would understand everything but the last one. Going with a sniper type build or an LRM boat frequently results in minimal to no damage taken while still having been helpful to the team.

edit: Note that I wouldn't personally do any of these except the first. I consider any of the last three to be rather rude, but I do understand why you might want to.

Edited by Owlfeathers, 24 February 2013 - 09:54 PM.

#50 OuttaAmmo NoWai

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 229 posts
  • LocationNot at a macbook

Posted 24 February 2013 - 09:46 PM

I am 100% positive that I have never given away the position of any player who possesses a single shred of piloting skill.

Anyone I have ever ratted on ran into a skyscraper, alpha'ed into the air and then blew up from overheating (or something equally pathetic). Mind you, this is pug matches.

In 8 mans? Hell yeah, that last spider's gonna make those scumbags pay, and he's gonna do it one medium laser at a time.

#51 Bren McGuire

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 104 posts

Posted 24 February 2013 - 09:48 PM

View PostSuper Mono, on 24 February 2013 - 09:13 PM, said:

Don't kid yourself, you are not benefiting your team in the slightest by running and hiding. Your attitude shows how self-aggrandizing you are.

Don't get me wrong. There's only 2 times in 2000 matches that I've decided to hide and wait out the match. In each situation I've been the last man standing vs a one sided 7-0 stomp because I flanked/scouted. With ELO, that can't happen now.

The one person who gave away my position... ever, is either taking a very long break or no longer plays.

#52 p00k

• 1,661 posts

Posted 24 February 2013 - 09:53 PM

View PostJman5, on 24 February 2013 - 09:35 PM, said:

If you are clearly hiding to preserve your precious k/d ratio I have zero problem with someone giving your position away. I hate people who stat pad.

let me tell you a story. long before the days of ecm, i recall being in my jenner, in a solo pug drop. my team managed to all die off, leaving me against 4 enemy mechs. so i run around trying to separate the last 4 so i can solo them. someone much like you i expect, bitter that they weren't good enough to survive, tells the enemy where i am and what i'm doing

so the enemy sends 2 mechs back to their base to defend, one mech to our base to cap, and one hunchy comes to chase me. fortunately he's hurt and i kill him without much trouble. i then move to the enemy base thinking i could try to cap, but see 2 defenders there. one of them is adamant about staying in the box to prevent me from capping, while the other, a centurion, decides to engage me. i'm able to solo him as well

i then turn my attention to the other defender, a catapult that hasn't learned to lag lead, and kill him - he was actually easier than the centurion. unfortunately by this point the last enemy, an atlas, is outcapping me, and we lose

would the match have turned out any differently if the douchebag didn't give away my position? maybe not. but maybe so. we'll never know. bottom line is, that ***** running around the side of the map scratching the enemy at the max range of his lasers may have a plan, and may do some good. or maybe he's awful, and has no idea what he's doing. bottom line is, it doesn't matter. the rules are the rules.

if you rat someone out because their <whatever reason they have for sucking> isn't as valuable to you as your <omg i must see my end-of-round screen>, you're selfish. you hold your completely meaningless and arbitrary values over their completely meaningless and arbitrary values. only they're not breaking any rules. you are.

#53 Lindonius

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 575 posts
  • LocationTokyo

Posted 24 February 2013 - 09:53 PM

View PostOwlfeathers, on 24 February 2013 - 09:45 PM, said:

I agree with everything but the last one. Going with a sniper type build or an LRM boat frequently results in minimal to no damage taken while still having been helpful to the team.

I agree but I've seen DDCs with brawler builds (2 meds, AC20, 3srm6) utterly untouched because they moved (not to far) away from the home base, hid and powered down until the team was dead. Then when the first light runs to cap the base cos they can't find the last mech, he powers up, surprise kills the first few softened mechs and then does his best to get as many kills as he can before going down.

#54 p00k

• 1,661 posts

Posted 24 February 2013 - 09:59 PM

View PostLindonius, on 24 February 2013 - 09:53 PM, said:

I agree but I've seen DDCs with brawler builds (2 meds, AC20, 3srm6) utterly untouched because they moved (not to far) away from the home base, hid and powered down until the team was dead. Then when the first light runs to cap the base cos they can't find the last mech, he powers up, surprise kills the first few softened mechs and then does his best to get as many kills as he can before going down.

and he's perfectly within his rights to do that, to throw the rest of his team under the bus for a few cheap kills.

another story. i'm in a partial premade, we roll the other team. one enemy left, afk at enemy base. this was when capping rewards were valuable, so we tell our pugs to just cap and leave him be. we're all standing on the base looking at this afk guy while the cap meter runs down.

about 2-3 seconds before we win the match, the guy turns and cockpits one of my teammates (ironically named "notintheface"). match ends before any of us can retaliate. cheesy? yes. but again, he didn't break any rules being worthless to his team

#55 Lindonius

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 575 posts
  • LocationTokyo

Posted 24 February 2013 - 10:00 PM

View Postp00k, on 24 February 2013 - 09:53 PM, said:

let me tell you a story. long before the days of ecm, i recall being in my jenner, in a solo pug drop. my team managed to all die off, leaving me against 4 enemy mechs. so i run around trying to separate the last 4 so i can solo them. someone much like you i expect, bitter that they weren't good enough to survive, tells the enemy where i am and what i'm doing

so the enemy sends 2 mechs back to their base to defend, one mech to our base to cap, and one hunchy comes to chase me. fortunately he's hurt and i kill him without much trouble. i then move to the enemy base thinking i could try to cap, but see 2 defenders there. one of them is adamant about staying in the box to prevent me from capping, while the other, a centurion, decides to engage me. i'm able to solo him as well

i then turn my attention to the other defender, a catapult that hasn't learned to lag lead, and kill him - he was actually easier than the centurion. unfortunately by this point the last enemy, an atlas, is outcapping me, and we lose

would the match have turned out any differently if the douchebag didn't give away my position? maybe not. but maybe so. we'll never know. bottom line is, that ***** running around the side of the map scratching the enemy at the max range of his lasers may have a plan, and may do some good. or maybe he's awful, and has no idea what he's doing. bottom line is, it doesn't matter. the rules are the rules.

if you rat someone out because their <whatever reason they have for sucking> isn't as valuable to you as your <omg i must see my end-of-round screen>, you're selfish. you hold your completely meaningless and arbitrary values over their completely meaningless and arbitrary values. only they're not breaking any rules. you are.

You were in a Jenner so the guy ratting on you was out of order, jenners are fast and their job is to scout so there could be a multitude of reasons why you were still in the game after the others were all dead.

But if you were a piristine green brawler build Atlas however......

#56 Owlfeathers

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 182 posts
  • LocationTerra, Sol System, Milky Way Galaxy

Posted 24 February 2013 - 10:00 PM

View PostLindonius, on 24 February 2013 - 09:53 PM, said:

Isn't that essentially just for the purpose of getting a high KDR? I would almost consider that to be griefing, as that player is not supporting the rest of their team whatsoever. One example of what I was referring to was my last match today on Alpine Peaks. Using a Raven with 2 ER Large Lasers, I ended up as the last one alive with 4 kills and around 500 damage, yet was entirely untouched until the last few minutes of the game. Just pointing out that if someone is undamaged it doesn't necessarily mean that they were useless.

Edited by Owlfeathers, 24 February 2013 - 10:02 PM.

#57 DrSecretStache

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Storm
  • Storm
  • 483 posts
  • LocationWherever the Cbills flow

Posted 24 February 2013 - 10:01 PM

Honestly, if you can drive an atlas, then you aught to have the patience to wait a little while in the game. Heck, if you can drive a mech, the same goes.

This is a different kind of FPS. If you like instant respawns or something, where you don't have to be not playing, go find a game that has them. Or just wait for dropship mode. Breaking the code of conduct makes you even more wrong.

#58 Lindonius

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 575 posts
  • LocationTokyo

Posted 24 February 2013 - 10:05 PM

View Postp00k, on 24 February 2013 - 09:59 PM, said:

but again, he didn't break any rules being worthless to his team

He broke the unwritten rule....

Posted Image

#59 Geadron Kane

• PipPipPip
  • 76 posts
  • LocationCanada

Posted 24 February 2013 - 10:12 PM

View PostSuper Mono, on 24 February 2013 - 09:21 PM, said:

Then I'm being denied the chance to see my score and compare it to how others in the game did. Why should that be considered less important than someone dragging out the clock to keep their k/d ratio artificially inflated?

That is what the tab key is for there is no need to grief your teammate.

#60 Delas Ting Usee

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 548 posts

Posted 24 February 2013 - 10:40 PM

This is tough...on the one hand if a player is AFK or Disconnected then I'll tell the opposing team...but only AFTER I've tried communicating with him on chat. No reply then I'll share his coordinates.

Other circumstances are situational...I've always tried communicating via chat first....failing that, and IF and ONLY IF that player powers down; assuming he's the last player, it clearly shows his intention. I'll share his grid position.

Then again if he's badly mauled and the score is tied...and he's powering down to hide - a legitatimate tatic in my book, then I'm keeping my mouth shut.

Like I said, situational.

Edited by Delas Ting Usee, 24 February 2013 - 10:42 PM.

10 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 10 guests, 0 anonymous users