[Guide] The Ultimate Jagermech Guide

120 replies to this topic

#41 t0asty42

Rookie

• 4 posts

Posted 28 March 2013 - 06:51 PM

View PostRaso, on 28 March 2013 - 07:22 AM, said:

I't seems like of all of these builds the AC10 does not get much representation. I've seen AC2s, AC5s, UAC5s, AC20s, Gauss and even the odd LBX in some other builds.

What are people's thoughts on the AC10 on the Jager?

The AC/10 is a perfectly fine weapon to use. The only problem with it is that it sits in the middle of the extremes, with AC/20s doing huge burst damage and the other weapons having better range and a bit more forgiving on whiffing your shot. If you're confident with your aim, an AC/10 is just as good, if not better than the double AC/5 I typically run. Here is how I would run it. It has lower dps than my other builds, but has basically the same burst damage.

JM6-DD Boom Pew Pew Dakka Dakka Dakka

Also great if you're running this variant and feel a need for speed or additional dakka without significantly weakening your firepower.

#42 krl2811

• Pip
  • 13 posts

Posted 28 March 2013 - 06:57 PM

Would this work? This is what I'm trying to build but stll loong way to go.

http://mwo.smurfy-ne...c2aa37f23dc4cb1

#43 Hex Pallett

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Urban Commando
  • Urban Commando
  • 2,009 posts
  • Twitter: Link
  • LocationHomeless, in the streets of Solaris 7

Posted 28 March 2013 - 07:01 PM

View Postkrl2811, on 28 March 2013 - 06:57 PM, said:

Would this work? This is what I'm trying to build but stll loong way to go.

http://mwo.smurfy-ne...c2aa37f23dc4cb1

your legs will be gone in five seconds.

#44 Raso

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Sickle
  • The Sickle
  • 1,298 posts
  • LocationConnecticut

Posted 28 March 2013 - 07:30 PM

View PostHelmstif, on 28 March 2013 - 07:01 PM, said:

Agreed. And I've been getting a lot of legs recently. Not sure why, though....

Anyway this is what I've been running with. (Did I post it already?)

http://mwo.smurfy-ne...e655e646c9ada8c

Only use the small lasers when the enemy is up close (duh) and your heat is a non issue. I chose dual small lasers for the faster firing time and for the extra damage you get from 4 of them over 2 medium lasers. The AC10s do all of the work at range (and oh what work they do!)

#45 charov

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 1,110 posts
  • LocationLondon - UK

Posted 29 March 2013 - 12:07 AM

Yep, never put less than 38/40 armour on your legs. An α from a PPC boat can blow a leg away. As soon as your enemy knows that your legs are fragile, they'll take out the other one in a second.

I have finally mastered my usual build: JM6-Sierra 2xAC5, 3xML, 1xLL
Since I unlocked the Speed Tweak, I mounted a standard engine. I'm happy to say that I works very well. My KDR ratio with this mech has grown from ~1.3 to 1.65 in the first days, reaching 1.81 yesterday (general KDR is 3.16). Being able to protect your center torso with your massive shoulders without worrying about the XL engine makes you much more reliable.

EDIT: typo

Edited by red devil2, 29 March 2013 - 12:07 AM.

#46 BigTrak

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Knight Errant
  • 139 posts
  • LocationNorniron

Posted 29 March 2013 - 03:39 AM

I'm running 2xAC10 and 4xSSRM in my JM6-A and its a lot of fun! I can hit with the AC10's fairly reliably from 800/900km and then the barrage of 8 SSRM's can bother even assaults. Recommend it for first JM6 as its pretty well armoured too.

#47 krl2811

• Pip
  • 13 posts

Posted 29 March 2013 - 05:27 AM

View PostHelmstif, on 28 March 2013 - 07:01 PM, said:

LOL forgot to put more leg armor yes, although I must say I wasn,t legged that often in this game.
If I remove one heat sink leg aromor goes up to 41. Thats decent enough.

#48 Dominoran

• PipPip
  • 27 posts

Posted 29 March 2013 - 07:01 AM

Here's a build I have been currently running, its a PPC based JR6-A build

http://mwo.smurfy-ne...3ef5fd0a210c106

Quick notes
-STD 275 engine
-Double Heatsinks
-Endosteel + Ferro
-2 PPC
-4 SRM4
-2 Machine Gun
-1 AMS
-1 BAP
-Lots of Armor

I'm always a proponent of BAP, its a requirement on all medium+ mechs that I own. I rely on it to know if I don't detect something, there's probably ECM and should be on the lookout to snipe.

PPC vs ERPPC, ERPPC runs way too hot for me, and mid range is where this build shines. You have lower heat vs ER, and constant 20 damage to certain portions of armor can really wreck someones day. If they get past PPC range then you have your trusty 4x4 srms to deal quite a bit of damage (not as much as a dedicated srm4+ artemis, or srm6jager, but it packs a decent punch), and machine guns for added effect. Also, I am getting more practice legging light mechs using the ppcs, always satisfying to cripple them at range. You'd be surprised how many lights just stand in place like deers caught in a headlight. Only thing you need is to aim fast and squeeze the trigger.

I'm always big on high armor high speed builds using STD engines since people can be surprised how resilient you are. You dodge more, you can take more damage.

#49 Shuyen

• PipPipPip
  • Philanthropist
  • 84 posts

Posted 29 March 2013 - 08:15 AM

I'm a little bit too lazy to recreate my current build in the lab, but here is the basic rundown:

JM6-A "R*e*d*n*e*c*k" (edited because the Forum *'s out *******. Funny!)

Basics:
STD 260 Engine
Ferro Armor
Endo Structure
15 Standard HS
373 Armor

Armament:
1 LBX-10 AC + 2t ammo (wpn group 1)
1 ML (wpn group 2)
1 MG + 1t ammo (wpn group 2)
2 SSRM-2 + 1t ammo (wpn group 2)
LRM10+Artemis +1t ammo (wpn group 3)

Notes:
  • The LRM-10 lets me add into the early engagements while hanging back and protecting the true LRM boats from lights. Once I have put out the 18 salvos my 1t of ammo gives me, the enemy mechs have been softened up enough to go into melee with. It's a Jagermech, after all. No matter what I do, this isn't ever going to be a pure brawler!
  • The LBX (aka "The Shotgun") is a weapon I haven't used before, but so far I am really enjoying the heck out of it! Its spread is great for pegging fast lights when they come strafing. It can also really make a mess out of mediums and the rear armor of other heavy/assaults.
  • The "Kitchen Sink" (wpn group 2) is just...friggin fun. Between the chatter of the MG (and it's propensity for crits), the SSRM-2s and the medium laser? It's just a constant output of havoc on whoever I have a lock on. Add to that the LBX? Whhoooo!
  • I label this build a "Close Fire Support" mech. It isn't a pure brawler, but once the fight is engaged I can come in right after and make a mess out of the enemy while they are going at it with my team's HBK's and such. I am getting a kill or two per match now, and a ton of criticals and support xp.
That's it for now. Gotta run. Enjoy!

Edited by Shuyen, 29 March 2013 - 08:56 AM.

#50 Hex Pallett

• Urban Commando
  • Urban Commando
  • 2,009 posts

Posted 29 March 2013 - 09:01 AM

^ @Shuyen you need at most 12 DHS to cool down such weaponry.

#51 Buehgler

• PipPipPip
  • The Bludgeon
  • The Bludgeon
  • 79 posts

Posted 29 March 2013 - 09:03 AM

View PostBigTrak, on 29 March 2013 - 03:39 AM, said:

I'm running 2xAC10 and 4xSSRM in my JM6-A and its a lot of fun! I can hit with the AC10's fairly reliably from 800/900km and then the barrage of 8 SSRM's can bother even assaults. Recommend it for first JM6 as its pretty well armoured too.

I have been using this JM6-A loadout to good effect. I like the damage, range, rof of the dual AC10s, and I am finding the 2 streaks and 2MLs a good combination for closer range engagements. 4 streaks without any lasers seems too high risk in the presence of ECM.

#52 Shuyen

• PipPipPip
  • Philanthropist
  • 84 posts

Posted 29 March 2013 - 09:30 AM

View PostHelmstif, on 29 March 2013 - 09:01 AM, said:

^ @Shuyen you need at most 12 DHS to cool down such weaponry.

Yeah, that's something I am constantly mucking with. I don't run hot too often with this build, which I like alot, except on some of the "hot maps". In up close combat I can pretty much keep both mouse buttons pinned, firing groups 1 & 2 constantly, for a good long while before the heat bar edges up on me. No chain fire, no nothing. Just shooting as fast as the weapons can cycle.

I may take off a HS or two and add on some armor or a Beagle, maybe. I don't want to get into a scenario where I've traded a HS (or two) for a weapon, read: Trade heat dissipation for heat generation. Nothing sucks more than overheating and becoming someone else's punching bag! ;)

#53 NRP

• Fire
  • Fire
  • 3,949 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

Posted 29 March 2013 - 12:48 PM

Shuyen,
Your build and your description of how to play it made me LOL!

#54 Devil Fox

• The Infernal
  • The Infernal
  • 1,393 posts
  • LocationThe Fox Den

Posted 30 March 2013 - 04:46 AM

With the weekend upon us, I decidied to finish my Jagermechs up. Thus I've been reworking the blasted things over and over through various configurations ending up with a Quad AC2/ML, a Dual AC20 and I thought that since I have converted my missile boat (which I couldn't get to work into the ac20) I might convert my dual guass into something... the result was:

JM6-DD - The Original

It is in essence the stock load-out of the Jagermech JM6-A with a touch more ammo, an XL engine and armour... and god does it work. I play it like my Quad AC2 mech, pinning at range with chain-fired AC2 pair, and when a clear target in range getting hammered I thrown in the Dual AC5's to provide punch and lasers now and then to finish exposed internals. Been averaging 500-600dmg a game in this hanging back at the back of a brawl pinging at targets fighting other people. It can and will tear anything else up if it tries to fight you, but you will often lose alot of armour.

#55 Icepick

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Survivor
  • 153 posts
  • LocationProbably at Work

Posted 30 March 2013 - 10:20 AM

Helms, read your post, and hesitantly went to the JM6 dealer for a new S model. After suffering through Cataphracts lately (dunno, just can't play the darn things) the JM6 looked cool.

I think I have a new favorie mech. It's not twitchy, tough, sneaky or anything...but something about big gunz blazing away at 700m just satisfies my soul. Thanks for the writeup.

#56 Hex Pallett

• Urban Commando
  • Urban Commando
  • 2,009 posts

Posted 31 March 2013 - 01:20 AM

View PostIcepick, on 30 March 2013 - 10:20 AM, said:

I think I have a new favorie mech. It's not twitchy, tough, sneaky or anything...but something about big gunz blazing away at 700m just satisfies my soul. Thanks for the writeup.

Because I believe, deep down, wired in our human gene, there's a always-dominant trait that basically makes men like a certain thing that can only be summarized as YATATATATATATATATATATATATA.

Also, if you're into Russian military stuff, you can totally imagine yourself as a Zsu-23-4.

#57 Matheos

• Pip
  • Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 10 posts

Posted 31 March 2013 - 02:49 AM

I stuck with two Jager variants: the S and the A.

As per the S, I haven't tried dual AC/20s in it due to the limited range. When I first got it, I decided to use a pair of AC/10s and it's been very solid. With the larger maps, being able to do max damage out to 500m or so is a plus.

I use a hybrid build on the A: 2x AC/5, 2x LRM5, 2x SSRM2, 2x ML. I dub thee "Perfect Symmetry": long range direct and indirect damage, short range direct damage and lock on for pesky lights. It doesn't set the world on fire, but I've had some great matches with it, and I don't really care what map I drop on with it.

#58 charov

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 1,110 posts
  • LocationLondon - UK

Posted 31 March 2013 - 03:33 AM

As you know I'm trying to prove that the standard engines are Jagermech's best friends. Therefore this morning I have recorded a few matches. Aside from a couple of matches where we've been stomped in a couple of minutes, or cap-rushed, these are the results:

1. Jag'mech DD - 974 dmg, 3 kills, 3 assists, 136 score (forgot to start fraps in this one, unfortunately I have recorded only the final summary)
2. Jag'mech S - 587 dmg, 3 kills, 3 assists, 82 score
3. Jag'mech S - 452 dmg, 1 kill, 7 assists, 65 score (amost dead here trying to help a teammate. The Std engine saved my day)
4. Jag'mech S - 853 dmg, 2 kills, 5 assists, 111 score
5. Jag'mech DD - 602 dmg, 3 kills, 4 assists, 88 score

These are my builds:
Jag'mech S: http://mwo.smurfy-ne...82abf07d360e6fc
Jag'mech D: http://mwo.smurfy-ne...1211f22be934036

These matched are from being perfect. I could play much better, but the point here is not showing you my piloting skills, instead is demostrate how much more survivable the Jagermech becomes with a Standard engine.

EDIT: typo

Edited by red devil2, 01 April 2013 - 01:01 AM.

#59 HeliosRX

• PipPip
  • Liquid Metal
  • Liquid Metal
  • 30 posts

Posted 31 March 2013 - 05:05 AM

Got an... Interesting build here. Will run out of ammo real quickly if you continually blaze away for more than 5 minutes, but it plays well, doesn't ever overheat, and looks cool as hell. Also, it's glorious if you can find an isolated LRM boat. Gloooorious.

http://mwo.smurfy-ne...17d714527a0b0f3

Essentially, either the S or the DD variants can handle it. 2 UAC on one arm, one Gauss on the other. Great for mid-range fire support, and excels at sniping at range. 4 tons of UAC ammo; 3 tons of Gauss. Conserve UAC ammo, but it's really hard to run out of 30 rounds of Gauss in a match, I find, unless you literally fire every 4 seconds and miss just about everything. 8.5 tons of armor; 265 XL engine, so has decent lifespan for a Jagermech, and packs enough firepower to wreck just about anything it can't outrun.

Possible changes:
Drop a ton of Gauss and get an extra ton of UAC ammo, though it won't help too much - Gauss ammo just lasts longer, and you can use it more effectively IMO. What do you guys think?

#60 Raso

• The Sickle
  • The Sickle
  • 1,298 posts
  • LocationConnecticut

Posted 31 March 2013 - 06:01 AM

View PostMatheos, on 31 March 2013 - 02:49 AM, said:

I stuck with two Jager variants: the S and the A.

As per the S, I haven't tried dual AC/20s in it due to the limited range. When I first got it, I decided to use a pair of AC/10s and it's been very solid. With the larger maps, being able to do max damage out to 500m or so is a plus.

That's exactly why I use the AC10s. The AC20s may get all of the love, and I sure wouldn't want to meet an AC20 Jager in dark, claustrophobic ally, but at 800m the AC20 deals minimal damage while the twin AC10s still deals around 5-6 damage per round! I feel that mid range direct fire support is where the Jager truly shines and smile every time the side torso of an AC40 Jager cross into my sights!

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users